You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OHSU is not OOS friendly, from what I can tell. The exception could be if you fall into one of their "mission based groups" (http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm).Anyone know their opinion on Cali applicants? Worth applying to?
Last edited:
What about WA residents?
OHSU is not OOS friendly, from what I can tell. The exception could be if you fall into one of their "mission based groups" (http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm).
Unless you fall into one of the mission-based groups, OHSU likely won't consider you at all (at least, this has been the case for the past several application years). Note that high stats (3.7+, 32+) put you into a mission-based group, as do any "strong ties" to Oregon.
IS the MD/MPH track 4 or 5 years?
It's a five year track. Assuming things still work the way they did 4-5 years ago, MD/MPH students take a year off after MS3 to finish up their MPH coursework.
Okay, thanks.It's a five year track. Assuming things still work the way they did 4-5 years ago, MD/MPH students take a year off after MS3 to finish up their MPH coursework.
Does OHSU serve a significant amount of Russian-speaking patients? From what I understand, Portland has a sizable population of Russians and Ukrainians...
Okay, thanks.
Does OHSU serve a significant amount of Russian-speaking patients? From what I understand, Portland has a sizable population of Russians and Ukrainians...
I've only seen two exclusively Russian-speaking patients during MS3 year. It's only my personal experience, but I've seen significantly more Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, and even Somali.
Here's to round 2 being more fruitful than round 1.
+1 should I apply if I'm a WA resident with no oregon ties? 3.9 gpa and 32 mcat ... my friend told me not to apply since i have no ties to oregon.What about WA residents?
saw this:
"The 2014-15 entering class – 82 percent of whom are Oregonians or have Oregon heritage – increased in size from last year, adding seven additional students as a part of OHSU’s goal to grow class sizes to meet the health care workforce needs of Oregon and beyond."
Application processed. Good luck all!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone got an answer for us Washingtonians? Would be insanely appreciate
+1 should I apply if I'm a WA resident with no oregon ties? 3.9 gpa and 32 mcat ... my friend told me not to apply since i have no ties to oregon.
saw this:
Your GPA and MCAT score put you into a mission-based category, so you have a shot if you apply to OHSU. Yes, the medical student classes are generally made up of instate residents, but that is only partially due to in-state bias during admissions - the other part of the picture is out of state students often choosing other (cheaper) schools due to OHSU's high OOS tuition.
Anyone got an answer for us Washingtonians? Would be insanely appreciate
As stated above - apply if you fit into a mission group. This usually means high stats, attending high school/college in Oregon, having parents in Oregon, or applying to one of the combined degree programs.
Just called OHSU to ask about border counties (I live in Clark) and whether they are considered in state:
NOPE.
I am a WA resident in a border county and will still be considered OOS. No going to bother with the secondary, a shame I didn't ask sooner for the primary. Good luck to the rest of you!
NOPE.
I am a WA resident in a border county and will still be considered OOS. No going to bother with the secondary, a shame I didn't ask sooner for the primary. Good luck to the rest of you!
You IS?Application processed. Good luck all!
Can anyone confirm whether this year's secondary prompts are the same as last year's?
I don't technically fit into any of the mission groups, but I've been living and working in Oregon for the past 9 months and will be applying with recommendation letters from OHSU faculty. Do I have a shot at getting some IS consideration?
I'm pretty sure you can apply as a resident of OR. If I remember correctly, they have a box on the secondary that you can check that says something like "I will be an OR resident at the time of matriculation."
No problem, I'm kind of in the same boat as you, so I've become familiar with the IS vs OOS guidelines at OHSU.You just made my day @Eddy342! Thank you!
Could you guys post the prompts? Are they the same as last year? Thank you!
I'm applying to MD/MPH programs, which is technically a "mission-based" group, although I don't fall under (or above, rather) the OOS MCAT of 32. Still worth filling out the secondary???
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else still waiting on the secondary?
Secondary received..this one is gnarly.
...?
If people could post the secondary prompts that would be awesome and much appreciated!
Also still waiting and IS. 🙁
Still waiting. IS. Do they screen for secondaries? What's with some people getting them earlier than others?
Still waiting. IS. Do they screen for secondaries? What's with some people getting them earlier than others?
It's a manual process, so there's an actual person behind it all 🙂
People complicate things. 🙂
Does anyone know how much the secondary fee is?
It is 100 dollars. Just submitted mine today.Does anyone know how much the secondary fee is?
Can you post the prompts? Are they the same as last year? Much appreciated!! 🙂It is 100 dollars. Just submitted mine today.
Just got the secondary. I'm OOS and not quite in a mission group so I'm actually kinda surprised I got this. Maybe they really need more secondary fees?
According to MSAR everyone gets a secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary received just now IS resident.
Could you please post the prompts?
According to MSAR everyone gets a secondary.
Well lets hope so 🙂. I still haven't received one. I'm OOS, so I'm probably a long shot. I technically meet their mission group based on my MCAT/gpa stats, but it seems like this school is a cult for Oregonians!
I'm IS and haven't received one ... my AMCAS was verified on 6/11. I'm definitely starting to freak out.Well lets hope so 🙂. I still haven't received one. I'm OOS, so I'm probably a long shot. I technically meet their mission group based on my MCAT/gpa stats, but it seems like this school is a cult for Oregonians!
It looks like the prompts are the same as last year if you look at last year's thread on the first page. Hope this helps. Submitted mine a couple days ago FYI.Could you please post the prompts?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 543
- Views
- 156K
- Replies
- 730
- Views
- 222K
- Replies
- 444
- Views
- 108K
- Replies
- 664
- Views
- 172K
