2015-2016 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to mean this in a criticizing way, but why does OHSU shoot for a class that's so much older than other schools. Their average age is like 26,27?
Ohsu values students with life experiences and a diversity of backgrounds. I think they find that the older students have some added value in their experiences because of more time working and living, though many younger students have also brought extremely valuable insights to discussions. Ohsu wants to create better healthcare providers, not better test takers. There are many arguments about whether these correlate or if they are succeeding in reaching their goals, but my understanding is that they want diversity of perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Any recent accepted alternates care to share the amount of time to decide to accept OHSU's offer? Is it still 2 weeks?
It's two weeks once you receive the acceptance contract. I was accepted 5/6 but didn't receive the contract until 5/16 then I had two weeks from that date. Hope the helps! :)

Previous posts on SDN (perhaps Goro?) mention admissions metrics that predict which students are more likely to attend. No specifics that I recall, but presumably data might be used to determine whom to interview and/or accept among many stats.
Washington D.C here i come :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohsu values students with life experiences and a diversity of backgrounds. I think they find that the older students have some added value in their experiences because of more time working and living, though many younger students have also brought extremely valuable insights to discussions. Ohsu wants to create better healthcare providers, not better test takers. There are many arguments about whether these correlate or if they are succeeding in reaching their goals, but my understanding is that they want diversity of perspective.
I'd also bet that those of us who've started families in Oregon are more likely to stay and practice medicine here than those who grew up here but don't have any responsibilities tying them down ... not to mention that if you're old enough, it seems you're far more likely to choose to pursue primary care.

This is a question for current students, do most people take notes on paper? Would it be worth it to buy an iPad to take notes on? I can't decide if I should spend on an iPad when I already have a mac and have always taken notes on paper. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

I am not a current student but I am sticking to what worked in undergrad a few years ago until it no longer works. Then maybe an iPad. Purposeful adjustments to study methods is the way to go, I hear!

Plus my friends currently in medical school tell me it's most useful in the clinical years anyway, so a more updated version may be out by then.

EDIT: I did not see that some students had already responded to you!

Anyone within 10 spots? I would love to know if there's any ghost spots. I'm within 16 and I have to board a plane to dc at the end month. :(((

Anyone within 10 spots? I would love to know if there's any ghost spots. I'm within 16 and I have to board a plane to dc at the end month. :(((

I'm just four spots away! Reaalllyyy hoping there's another jump in the portal soon. I talked to admissions when they were at 36 I believe. At that point there were two empty numbers and a few that had never responded to the initial email about the wait list.

I'm number 56. I called Katy 2 days ago and she told me there are 3 ghost spots in between 43 and 56.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Hang in there guys, the end is near, and I hope you all end up where you want to be! Just curious, what do you guys typically say when you call the admissions office? I'm on the waitlist and have been slowly dying with this process, and I've been updating the office every couple of weeks, but I'm just not sure what to say other then talk about what I've been working on the past few weeks. If I don't get in, I'll have to move across the country, so I REALLY am hoping the waitlist moves a ton soon! Good luck all!

Reactions: 1 user
Hang in there guys, the end is near, and I hope you all end up where you want to be! Just curious, what do you guys typically say when you call the admissions office? I'm on the waitlist and have been slowly dying with this process, and I've been updating the office every couple of weeks, but I'm just not sure what to say other then talk about what I've been working on the past few weeks. If I don't get in, I'll have to move across the country, so I REALLY am hoping the waitlist moves a ton soon! Good luck all!
You have called multiple times?

Question for ya'll...I am a current cycle applicant and this years thread is totally dead, so I'm coming here.

My application was processed on Monday but does not say 'complete' anywhere. All of my LORs are marked as received, and my portal says 'application processed.' Does this mean I am complete?

As Beavershark said "At the end of they day you will be able to do what works for you to get the job done, and that is the same no matter where you go"

The 8-5 day is typically broken up into 4 hours of lecture an hour for lunch and 4 hours of either preceptorship, clinical skills, anatomy lab, colleges, or independent study. We don't sit in lecture all day which is nice, but most of the time you are learning the entire day. There are some "busy work" things, mostly confined to Wednesday afternoons during college events, but sometimes they are high-yield (IV placement, Chest tube placement, suture labs).
The benefit to the new curriculum is that I am being exposed to patients as part of the care team right away and I am learning diagnostic reasoning from the get go. 18 months vs 24 months for first 2 years and more clinical experience.

If you go to medical school you will see your personal time shrink regardless of the program you choose. Someone said something that seems true to me, you only have enough time to be a medical student and to keep one hobby/thing that you really enjoy. Some of my classmates enjoy the outdoors, others go out dancing, some do yoga. My family is my +1 activity. The nice thing about the curriculum is that our exams are on Fridays so you bust ass all week and have the weekend to relax. I typically do nothing school related Friday or Saturday, and look just through stuff on Sunday.

Med school is hard. Be prepared to kiss a lot of things goodbye in order to be successful, but don't forget to hang on to the things that will keep you sane.

Best of luck!

So Friday exams cover things M-Th?