You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Wayne State University School of Medicine Application Thread
Started by claduva94
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
MatriculationDoes anyone know if completion of prerequisite courses are needed prior to application or prior to matriculation?
Matriculation
Cheers, thanks for the info.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So since Wayne's application asks specifically for cultural diversity I'm assuming this isn't a "how are you unique?" essay and that it is more of a "what is your experience with people with backgrounds different from your own?" kind of essay. Is this how most of you approached it?
Yes, but as a multi-culti/multi racial person, this is the same for me.So since Wayne's application asks specifically for cultural diversity I'm assuming this isn't a "how are you unique?" essay and that it is more of a "what is your experience with people with backgrounds different from your own?" kind of essay. Is this how most of you approached it?
Nevermind!
Last edited:
Does getting this email mean we are complete?
"Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application. We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation. Please do not respond to this e-mail. E-mail enquiries may be addressed to[email protected].
Your application will be reviewed to determine if you will be selected for an interview sometime between now and February 2016 when we conclude our interviews. This process may take several months as we receive many more applications than we can interview."
"Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application. We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation. Please do not respond to this e-mail. E-mail enquiries may be addressed to[email protected].
Your application will be reviewed to determine if you will be selected for an interview sometime between now and February 2016 when we conclude our interviews. This process may take several months as we receive many more applications than we can interview."
YesDoes getting this email mean we are complete?
"Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application. We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation. Please do not respond to this e-mail. E-mail enquiries may be addressed to[email protected].
Your application will be reviewed to determine if you will be selected for an interview sometime between now and February 2016 when we conclude our interviews. This process may take several months as we receive many more applications than we can interview."
Really looking to submit this secondary ASAP so if someone could help me out here I would appreciate it 🙄so this may be a dumb question.. But In the general questions they ask about how many hours a week you've worked in non healthcare organizations. what exactly does that mean? Is that just any job I've had since starting college? I'm confused
I took it to mean as any work I did that was not clinical.Really looking to submit this secondary ASAP so if someone could help me out here I would appreciate it 🙄
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Like any sort of work? Summer employment? Employment during school?I took it to mean as any work I did that was not clinical.
I took it to mean yearlong employment during schoolLike any sort of work? Summer employment? Employment during school?
Okay, I'm just confused because it's so nonspecific. I've had a job on-campus before but that was during sophomore year. It doesn't seem right to say 12hrs/week when it was for a little less than a year.I took it to mean yearlong employment during school
how are you guys approaching the question about cultural diversity? Not sure if they want us to refer to experiences or just personal backgrounds we have...
So did I misinterpret the "worked in non-healthcare organizations" part? I put down the hours I volunteered/week for non-academic commitments...UGH.
But then again, its a poorly worded question in my opinion, as it doesn't specify the time-frame. Worked 40+ hours/week during the summer one time vs. 0 hours/week during school. Which one do they mean?
But then again, its a poorly worded question in my opinion, as it doesn't specify the time-frame. Worked 40+ hours/week during the summer one time vs. 0 hours/week during school. Which one do they mean?
Has Wayne offered any II's yet? I looked to last year's tread, but I'm thinking the timelines might not be accurate as they switched to an online portal system this application season.
Has Wayne offered any II's yet? I looked to last year's tread, but I'm thinking the timelines might not be accurate as they switched to an online portal system this application season.
Yes, they have.
I submitted my form yesterday but do not have a link on the portal to pay the fee. Just me?
I submitted my form yesterday but do not have a link on the portal to pay the fee. Just me?
the link is separate but its in the email
What email?the link is separate but its in the email
II! First U.S. II ever (I am a Canadian applicant)!
Congrats - Canadian here too. May I ask what day you received the complete email?
Last edited:
Congrats! SO exciting! Best of luck to you both.
Mind sharing your completion email dates?
Mind sharing your completion email dates?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received the complete email on August 4th.Congrats - Canadian here too. May I ask what day you received the complete email?
Yup. That was the same email I received. In Q1 they stated that the school "would like to invite you to interview" so I took it as confirmation of II.I got an interview request survey. For confirmation, this is an actual interview invite, correct? I just want to make sure they're not checking everybody's times or something. Knowing medical school admissions something like that wouldn't surprise me.
@eel that is a QUICK turn around! You must have a fantastic application!
Go get 'um!
Go get 'um!
Congrats! SO exciting! Best of luck to you both.
Mind sharing your completion email dates?
I'm an MD/PhD applicant.
AMCAS Submitted: 7/1 (first day)
Secondary Received: 7/31
Secondary Submitted: 8/1
Email Confirming Completion: 8/4
And yes, @Monster_Cat I am under the impression this is an actual II.
I'll be joining you guys in the interview pool! 
From the Self-Assessment available at an admissions.med.wayne.edu url:

What about with Wayne's last 20 credits policy?Thanks @drpepper92! I was surprised at how quick it was too. I am a non-trad applicant so I have had longer to acquire ECs. I have completed two undergrad degrees so I don't know how comparable my stats are with others: LizzyM is 66 with the first degree, 73 with the second.
From the Self-Assessment available at an admissions.med.wayne.edu url:
WSUSOM Self Assessment said:
Last edited:
I'll be joining you guys in the interview pool!
What about with Wayne's last 20 credits policy?
From the Self-Assessment available at an admissions.med.wayne.edu url:
I'll be joining you guys in the interview pool!
What about with Wayne's last 20 credits policy?
From the Self-Assessment available at an admissions.med.wayne.edu url:
Congrats @mehc012! Yes that policy basically nullifies my earlier work and leaves me with the latter LizzyM. Thanks for the heads-up!
A top choice in my home state and going to be applying here next year. Wishing you all luck this cycle!
Anyone doing early decision???
Anyone doing early decision???
.
Last edited:
IS and still have not received the secondary 🙁
They didn't even start sending out secondaries until the 28th! It has been 2wks, too early to worry!IS and still have not received the secondary 🙁
D
deleted642188
Secondary Received 07 August 2015
Submitted today! 14 August 2015!!
Now comes the wait...
Submitted today! 14 August 2015!!
Now comes the wait...
D
deleted642188
Does anyone know if Wayne State pre-screens heavily and how many people do they give out secondaries??
They do pre screen heavily. Not sure how many secondaries they hand out thoughDoes anyone know if Wayne State pre-screens heavily and how many people do they give out secondaries??
First time writing here. Has anyone had issues with the secondary application form? I had two issues:
First, a message showed up stating there is a duplicate form and that the secondary application has been submitted already. I just signed in with my username and password when that message showed up. I did not submit the application.
Second, I entered an activity in a wrong category, deleted it and placed it in the correct category and saved my progress; however, the form now shows the activity in both wrong and correct category.
Any input on how to at least solve the second problem?? 🙂
Also, organic chemistry research would be placed in healthcare or community activities?
First, a message showed up stating there is a duplicate form and that the secondary application has been submitted already. I just signed in with my username and password when that message showed up. I did not submit the application.
Second, I entered an activity in a wrong category, deleted it and placed it in the correct category and saved my progress; however, the form now shows the activity in both wrong and correct category.
Any input on how to at least solve the second problem?? 🙂
Also, organic chemistry research would be placed in healthcare or community activities?
First time writing here. Has anyone had issues with the secondary application form? I had two issues:
First, a message showed up stating there is a duplicate form and that the secondary application has been submitted already. I just signed in with my username and password when that message showed up. I did not submit the application.
Second, I entered an activity in a wrong category, deleted it and placed it in the correct category and saved my progress; however, the form now shows the activity in both wrong and correct category.
Any input on how to at least solve the second problem?? 🙂
Also, organic chemistry research would be placed in healthcare or community activities?
I would contact them. I found them to be readily responsive via email.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know about the first issues, but orgo research fits in neither of those two categories.First time writing here. Has anyone had issues with the secondary application form? I had two issues:
First, a message showed up stating there is a duplicate form and that the secondary application has been submitted already. I just signed in with my username and password when that message showed up. I did not submit the application.
Second, I entered an activity in a wrong category, deleted it and placed it in the correct category and saved my progress; however, the form now shows the activity in both wrong and correct category.
Any input on how to at least solve the second problem?? 🙂
Also, organic chemistry research would be placed in healthcare or community activities?
I emailed them prior to posting here. Hopefully they'll respond soon 🙂I would contact them. I found them to be readily responsive via email.
my sister attended and graduated from this medical school a few years ago.
would it be a good idea if she contacted them and recommended me or something? or is that a completely bad idea?
would it be a good idea if she contacted them and recommended me or something? or is that a completely bad idea?
Isn't there a section in the secondary to list family connections? I'd stick to filling that section out and nothing further.my sister attended and graduated from this medical school a few years ago.
would it be a good idea if she contacted them and recommended me or something? or is that a completely bad idea?
thanks for getting back to meIsn't there a section in the secondary to list family connections? I'd stick to filling that section out and nothing further.
i dont recall seeing a section like that in the secondary
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 691
- Views
- 151K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K