2015-2016 Wayne State University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would contact them. I found them to be readily responsive via email.
I emailed them prior to posting here. Hopefully they'll respond soon :)

Members don't see this ad.

my sister attended and graduated from this medical school a few years ago.

would it be a good idea if she contacted them and recommended me or something? or is that a completely bad idea?

would it be a good idea if she contacted them and recommended me or something? or is that a completely bad idea?
Isn't there a section in the secondary to list family connections? I'd stick to filling that section out and nothing further.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't there a section in the secondary to list family connections? I'd stick to filling that section out and nothing further.
thanks for getting back to me

i dont recall seeing a section like that in the secondary

In my opinion, I could see this as being a bad idea. I think having someone contact the admissions committee would sort of undermine their ability to make their own decision about your app.

As was said earlier, if they gave you a secondary, it means you're at least qualified enough in their eyes for it to be worth their time to look at your stuff.

i would say that it would be better just to mention what your sis thought was nice about Wayne in your interview

This would not be a good idea. WSUSOM graduates 290 students a year. They've probably seen 1000 students since she was there, and they likely don't remember her (although it's possible). It would come across as unsportsmanlike in my opinion. As someone else mentioned, mention it in your interview, and use it in the context of how her positive experience influenced your decision to apply at WSUSOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you guys are struggling with this secondary?

The limit of 1000 characters including spaces, is just ridiculous

Still no complete email :( I'm assuming they're a little swamped now.

How do they associate the secondary app with the payment? Do they just go off name, email, and home address? During payment it never asked me to input ID number or anything... How long is the usual wait for complete?

Did anyone receive a confirmation e-mail regarding the interview time/date?

I'm serious though. How do you keep your responses within 1000 characters?

I'm serious though. How do you keep your responses within 1000 characters?

Very simple answers. It sucks but I focused on big picture with 2 or 3 details per question to drive the point across.

Rosy was even worse, so this one felt like a piece of cake.

In the Activities and Community Service section, should we list hours that we anticipate to complete, like we did in AMCAS, or should we list hours we have completed up until today? Also, would it be OK to split hours between different categories? For example, I tutor English literacy in an underserved community. I have 200 hours for this activity. Can I put 100 hours of this activity under "Participating in mentoring and/or tutoring activities" and the other 100 hours under "Volunteered or worked in an underserved area"?

It just says not to double count hours. I split some of mine, based on how much time I thought qualified from a given activity.

Thanks for this guys -- just wanting to assess how many others did the same thing? Going to submit this secondary soon and want to make sure I'm not the only one doing some hour splitting!

Congrats on the IIs to everyone!

For the rewarding experience/challenge question, do you think it would be an appropriate place to discuss mediocre sGPA, how I've matured, improved, overcome it, etc? I don't know how harsh the screen is here, so maybe if they thought my grades were decent enough to get a secondary then I would be shooting myself in the foot by mentioning it... any thoughts? Thanks guys!

For the rewarding experience/challenge question, do you think it would be an appropriate place to discuss mediocre sGPA, how I've matured, improved, overcome it, etc? I don't know how harsh the screen is here, so maybe if they thought my grades were decent enough to get a secondary then I would be shooting myself in the foot by mentioning it... any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Don't shine a spotlight on weak areas.

How mediocre are we talking?

Why not? They'll see those weak areas anyways. Why not explain/contextualize those very weak areas for the reviewer?

How mediocre are we talking?

Like, just squeaking above 3.0. Everything else in my app is strong and jives with their mission.

Why not? They'll see those weak areas anyways. Why not explain/contextualize those very weak areas for the reviewer?

See, this is the debate that I am having in my head right now. Can I assume that if I pass the screen (even if it's a low bar, I don't know how stringent their screening is) that I can just focus on the positive? Or do I beat them to the punch in explaining the blemish on my app? Ahhh.

If that was truly one of the most rewarding things you've done. Then go for it. My consensus is that they have seen your grades already and can probably reason this out themselves. They want to get to know you as a person, including outside of academia.

Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. Good luck and I hope to be able to keep contributing to this thread--absolutely love this school. :)

Anecdotally: I did something like that and WSU gave me a shot. Though, specifically, I talked about the challenges associated with leaving the workforce as a mature applicant to re-build a competitive application through a post-bacc. Didn't focus on the weaknesses but rather my growth.

Don't. If they invited you to submit a secondary then they have acknowledged that you are qualified. However, they will likely ask you about it in your potential interview. So it should go without saying that you should be prepared to respond appropriately. But at this point, there is no need to, as was mentioned, shine a spotlight on weaknesses. They are experts at finding those without your help.

In the secondary they are looking for breadth not depth, as indicated by the restrictive character limit.

Confirmations are sent out every wednesday apparently

I submitted yesterday (8/16) and got the "We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation... Your application will be reviewed..." email today.

Maybe they've cleared the backlog?

Just read one of my essays over and I accidentally a whole word when editing down to 1000 characters... doh. :bang:

I submitted last Monday and I'm not complete yet.

I submitted yesterday (8/16) and got the "We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation... Your application will be reviewed..." email today.

Just read one of my essays over and I accidentally a whole word when editing down to 1000 characters... doh. :bang:

Is it a coincidence that you missed an entire word in this post too? Haha

Reactions: 1 users

Sorry for the miswording I meant that confirmations are notified by Wednesday

Man.... I am soooo nervous stilll waiting for a bloody confirmation and I submitted on Friday :scared:

current ms1 here, would be happy to answer questions

current ms1 here, would be happy to answer questions

Typical day in the life of a WS med student?
Also do you find it harder to make friends/study with such a large group of people?

I'm still in the 2 week post submit neuroticism, but it's starting to wane, finding that calm state.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

I'm still in the 2 week post submit neuroticism, but it's starting to wane, finding that calm state.
There's a certain amount of comfort knowing you have done the best you could and the rest is out of your hands. Until it's time for interviews...