You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thanks @nosarcasm! I just got the secondary half an hour ago, ahah.
Summarize information that may provide the Admissions Committee with a deeper understanding of your personal strengths and/or accomplishments not previously reflected in your AMCAS application.
For this question can we write about our gap year activities so far? (i.e. new research position, submission of manuscripts for publication)
For this question can we write about our gap year activities so far? (i.e. new research position, submission of manuscripts for publication)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Summarize information that may provide the Admissions Committee with a deeper understanding of your personal strengths and/or accomplishments not previously reflected in your AMCAS application.
For this question can we write about our gap year activities so far? (i.e. new research position, submission of manuscripts for publication)
Yes that would be an appropriate subject for the prompt.
I'm in the same boat as you were regarding not receiving a secondary. Did you get one because you contacted them, or was it just chance that you got it after posting? Good luck on the secondary!Thanks @nosarcasm! I just got the secondary half an hour ago, ahah.
There's no real way to know, since I doubt they'll admit to the former. No harm in sending an email to ask about the status of your file. I might end up doing this with UCLA too.. They're the last school that hasn't responded and I don't want to wait till November for a secondary like I did last year.I'm in the same boat as you were regarding not receiving a secondary. Did you get one because you contacted them, or was it just chance that you got it after posting? Good luck on the secondary!
Any IIs? *crickets*
We had our first round of interviews about two weeks ago, so there have definitely been II's, they just aren't being vocalized here.Any IIs? *crickets*
No.Has anyone noticed that on the MSAR, California Northstate interviewed 47 IS and 13 OOS, and matriculated 47 IS and 13 OOS. Is that right? 😵
Thanks...
But actually though, anyone have the stats?Has anyone noticed that on the MSAR, California Northstate interviewed 47 IS and 13 OOS, and matriculated 47 IS and 13 OOS. Is that right? 😵
i brought this up as well, earlier in the thread. and someone mentioned something like 400 interviews were actually sent?But actually though, anyone have the stats?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i brought this up as well, earlier in the thread. and someone mentioned something like 400 interviews were actually sent?
What GnomeBeGone said several posts back: "There were 216 interviews for ℅ 2019 (60 slots) and 360 for ℅ 2020 (90 slots)."
Is it too late to apply?
And should I bother applying? My stats are 3.47 cgpa and 520 MCAT, NY resident.
And should I bother applying? My stats are 3.47 cgpa and 520 MCAT, NY resident.
Just added it onto my AMCAS, God only knows what I'm in for.
Btw, any of you guys know what would happen if Northstate got shut down before we graduate?
Btw, any of you guys know what would happen if Northstate got shut down before we graduate?
Just added it onto my AMCAS, God only knows what I'm in for.
Btw, any of you guys know what would happen if Northstate got shut down before we graduate?
This was discussed ad nauseum here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/california-northstate-gains-accreditation.1142846/page-24
Upshot:
- Not likely to happen, given the progressive steps towards accreditation in the past few years.
- If it does happen (it happened with San Juan Bautista Medical School in Puerto Rico several years back), then CNU has assured its students that they will be able to find alternative placements at other medical schools (as some SJB students did; many others were not as fortunate).
- Bottom-line, it IS a real risk. You have to decide whether that risk is acceptable to you or not.
That being said, it is interesting to see how much skepticism was directed at the other for-profit medical school -- Rocky Vista -- back in 2007:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...icant-related-discussion-and-opinions.455473/
Here is their 2016 match list:
http://www.rvu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Residency_MatchList_2016.pdf
Clearly, for many contemplating applying to Rocky Vista back in 2007, the risk was (and has been) worth it.
Last edited:
What happened to the other SJB students who didn't find placements?This was discussed ad nauseum here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/california-northstate-gains-accreditation.1142846/page-24
Upshot:
- Not likely to happen, given the progressive steps towards accreditation in the past few years
- If it does happen (it happened with San Juan Bautista Medical School in Puerto Rico several years back), then CNU has assured its students that they will be able to find alternative placements at other medical schools (as some SJB students did; many others were not as fortunate)
- Bottom-line, it IS a real risk. You have to decide whether that risk is acceptable to you or not.
That being said, it is interesting to see how much skepticism was directed at the other for-profit medical school -- Rocky Vista -- back in 2007:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...icant-related-discussion-and-opinions.455473/
Here is their 2016 match list:
http://www.rvu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Residency_MatchList_2016.pdf
Clearly, for many contemplating applying to Rocky Vista back in 2007, the risk was (and has been) worth it.
Also, is it worth taking the risk and expense for CNU over an established DO school?
What happened to the other SJB students who didn't find placements?
Also, is it worth taking the risk and expense for CNU over an established DO school?
1. I'm not sure. All I know is that not all SJM students got placed at other medical schools. Sympathetic as the other administrations/faculties might be, it is difficult to try to "absorb" an extra 100+ students, even if you "spread" the burden.
2. That's a deeply personal question. I cannot answer that for you, but 60 students of the Class of 2019:
http://medicine.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/DemographicData.pdf
and 90 students of the Class of 2020:
http://medicine.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/DemographicData2020.pdf
have accepted the risk.
Yeah, I read that. In the class of 2020 there's kids from Harvard, Stanford, Yale, etc. Surely they can't all be mistaken, right?1. I'm not sure. All I know is that not all SJM students got placed at other medical schools. Sympathetic as the other administrations/faculties might be, it is difficult to try to "absorb" an extra 100+ students, even if you "spread" the burden.
2. That's a deeply personal question. I cannot answer that for you, but 60 students of the Class of 2019:
http://medicine.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/DemographicData.pdf
and 90 students of the Class of 2020:
http://medicine.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/DemographicData2020.pdf
have accepted the risk.
How long does it take to get the secondary? For most of my other schools I got it within 2 days of verification
They screenHow long does it take to get the secondary? For most of my other schools I got it within 2 days of verification
Oh. Do you think I'm likely to get this secondary then? I've passed every other screen, including Wake Forest.They screen
Wake Forest's screen is pretty light (mostly stats based) compared to this. Their screen is supposed to be pretty similar to the difficulty of getting a UC screen. Kind of hard to say- they're pretty holistic and look at more than stats, supposedly.Oh. Do you think I'm likely to get this secondary then? I've passed every other screen, including Wake Forest.
Just received the secondaryWake Forest's screen is pretty light (mostly stats based) compared to this. Their screen is supposed to be pretty similar to the difficulty of getting a UC screen. Kind of hard to say- they're pretty holistic and look at more than stats, supposedly.
congrats!Just received the secondary
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks lol. But what we need are II's, not just secondaries hahacongrats!
lol true. i'm doing ok there with other schools, but haven't heard anything from cal northstate. but i'm definitely on the fence about how i feel about them so we'll see.Thanks lol. But what we need are II's, not just secondaries haha
have fun with the secondary. best of luck
.
Last edited:
I believe in you maggie!Thanks dude. I'm not gonna lie, I applied here out of desperation
keep it on the down lowI believe in you maggie!
I just received and turned in my secondary, but I'm sure I'm at the bitter end of the applicant pile 🙁 I wonder why a few of us received them so late?
Crap I didn't see that they don't take AP credit for Gen chem. Wasted money on the primary.
Why didn't they screen me out?
Eh, might as well turn in the secondary
Why didn't they screen me out?
Eh, might as well turn in the secondary
Last edited:
Does anybody have any insight on when their next batch of II are going to go out? Submitted secondary ~ 1 mo. ago. Wondering if they are holding back the majority of their IIs until later in the cycle...
Can other medical schools see if others have received acceptances yet?Does anybody have any insight on when their next batch of II are going to go out? Submitted secondary ~ 1 mo. ago. Wondering if they are holding back the majority of their IIs until later in the cycle...
NopeCan other medical schools see if others have received acceptances yet?
.
Last edited:
Wondering this myself, it seems eerily quiet here...Does anybody have any insight on when their next batch of II are going to go out? Submitted secondary ~ 1 mo. ago. Wondering if they are holding back the majority of their IIs until later in the cycle...
Did anyone who interviewed on the first two interview days get an acceptance yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wondering this myself, it seems eerily quiet here...
Same here!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
is there a status check?
Not that I know of, I think the only way to check your status would be to email admissions, which I'm thiiiiiiiiiiiis close to doing.is there a status check?
Submitted 3 weeks ago and still nothing. I am a re-applicant, so based on my experience last year, I didn't hear anything until my rejection in June... which is a LONG time of holding on to some hope. Would be curious to hear if anyone else hears anything (and I'm sure you all feel the same).
Doesn't sound like they have interviewed that many yet by the post-Oct. 15th silence from interviewees...Wondering this myself, it seems eerily quiet here...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K