2016-2017 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

3.63 GPA/516 MCAT/Oregon resident. Worth applying?

Oh man it's already application time again.

I'm a 3rd year here -- halfway done with rotations.

Reply to this (so I get the little notification) if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Reply to this (so I get the little notification) if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them!
Hi! I have 3.8 GPA and 515 on MCAT. Cali resident. Transferred from Community college. Does NYU have a bias against Community College students? What are their OOS chances? Should I apply? What does NYU value the most? Research? Community Service? Shadowing?

Hi! I have 3.8 GPA and 515 on MCAT. Cali resident. Transferred from Community college. Does NYU have a bias against Community College students? What are their OOS chances? Should I apply? What does NYU value the most? Research? Community Service? Shadowing?

I got in with what would be the equivalent of a 515 and a 3.8 as a California resident - granted they were ranked 23 not 11 when I applied. In terms of community college transfer, I know a few people in our class who were transfers but as you've probably heard before it depends on where you took your core science classes - at the same time I would say more than half of our class came from ivies. NYU is a private school so don't worry about being OOS.

In terms of what they value it's the same as most of the more competitive schools - it's less about checking boxes and more about standing out in some way. We have people who did a lot of research and some community service, and people who did some research but a lot of community service. No one cares about shadowing.

If you feel like you like the school and want a shot at it apply. It's so hard to predict who will read your application and like it, so I erred on the side of more applications when I was applying. It's expensive, but you never know. Most of my interviews were from schools I didn't think I had a shot at, while most of my "safeties" didn't interview me.

Reactions: 1 users

Hi. First, thanks for helping out!

Do you know how much (if at all) the committee values participation in Division I athletics? My stats are solid — 3.88 science and combined GPA at a "prestigious" undergrad and a 515 MCAT, so I hope that's at least good enough to not look like a fool for applying — but because of athletics my ECs are pretty lopsided. I've got a summer of chem research, clinical research this summer, a summer working (i.e. paid, needed the $) at an outpatient surgery center, some shadowing and less volunteering. On the other hand, I've devoted literally thousands and thousands and thousands of hours to athletics... Considering that disparity in time committed, there was no reasonable way I could argue on my primary application that pursuing pre-med activities was more important to me than athletics, so I didn't even really try (that would've been a lie, anyway). Now I'm worried I may have overcooked the athlete angle and that it will rub some the wrong way... probably should've asked when there was still time to change my primary haha.

Hi. First, thanks for helping out!

Do you know how much (if at all) the committee values participation in Division I athletics? My stats are solid — 3.88 science and combined GPA at a "prestigious" undergrad and a 515 MCAT, so I hope that's at least good enough to not look like a fool for applying — but because of athletics my ECs are pretty lopsided. I've got a summer of chem research, clinical research this summer, a summer working (i.e. paid, needed the $) at an outpatient surgery center, some shadowing and less volunteering. On the other hand, I've devoted literally thousands and thousands and thousands of hours to athletics... Considering that disparity in time committed, there was no reasonable way I could argue on my primary application that pursuing pre-med activities was more important to me than athletics, so I didn't even really try (that would've been a lie, anyway). Now I'm worried I may have overcooked the athlete angle and that it will rub some the wrong way... probably should've asked when there was still time to change my primary haha.

It sounds like you at least come off as unique. If you have the grades, then you should apply and just hope for the best. I'm not sure of the contents of your application but if you were able to answer the "why medicine" question with conviction, and have been able to show that you know what you're getting yourself into, you should be fine. Like I said to the person above me, worry less about checking off the boxes and more about standing out.

Last edited:
Trying to pre-write my secondary, quick question about #4:

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

I've talked more generally about how I want to go into academic medicine, but I have specific interests in being a neonatologist (with a lot of hours in different pediatric specialities and in the NICU to back it up). Is it okay to talk about that, or is it overzealous to talk about a specific subspecialty in my plans?

since they don't see the tertiary application for the 3 MD prog until you've been otherwise been accepted, im using this space to talk directly about why it is i want to do my specialty of choice. dont think its overzealous, if you have good reason then why would that hurt? especially if the reasons behind your intent to do academic medicine ties into why you picked the specialty of choice...

basically using this spot to echo everything i will say in the tertiary, but doing it here so that they see it upfront

since they don't see the tertiary application for the 3 MD prog until you've been otherwise been accepted, im using this space to talk directly about why it is i want to do my specialty of choice. dont think its overzealous, if you have good reason then why would that hurt? especially if the reasons behind your intent to do academic medicine ties into why you picked the specialty of choice...

basically using this spot to echo everything i will say in the tertiary, but doing it here so that they see it upfront

That was my exact thought process too. I just thought I may have been getting ahead of myself by talking about a subspecialty before even interviewing for a residency, but considering I'm applying for the 3 year I think I may include it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

yeah i'd say thats a fair worry at most schools but we're probably safe w/ NYU given the 3 year prog. honestly none of us have a clue of what is and isn't appropriate. but i guess rest assured since you arent the only one hitting them from this angle.

yeah i'd say thats a fair worry at most schools but we're probably safe w/ NYU given the 3 year prog. honestly none of us have a clue of what is and isn't appropriate. but i guess rest assured since you arent the only one hitting them from this angle.

I spent a day with some of the medical students on their surgery clerkship (my desired 3-year MD program) and talked to the surgery 3-year MD program director. All of the 3-year MD students I talked to loved being in the 3-year MD program (I talked with 3-year students from many programs: plastic surgery, internal med, gen. surg., etc). They, and the surgery 3-year MD director, said that NYU is really encouraging the 3-year program, but also confirmed they don't look at your tertiary application until you are accepted into the SoM.

Also, one thing the surgery 3-year MD direction said was that they really look for people who are committed to living in NYC for a good amount of time, seeing as you will be spending both your medical school and residency there.

I spent a day with some of the medical students on their surgery clerkship (my desired 3-year MD program) and talked to the surgery 3-year MD program director. All of the 3-year MD students I talked to loved being in the 3-year MD program (I talked with 3-year students from many programs: plastic surgery, internal med, gen. surg., etc). They, and the surgery 3-year MD director, said that NYU is really encouraging the 3-year program, but also confirmed they don't look at your tertiary application until you are accepted into the SoM.

Also, one thing the surgery 3-year MD direction said was that they really look for people who are committed to living in NYC for a good amount of time, seeing as you will be spending both your medical school and residency there.

Thanks for the info!! The stability of having a guaranteed place in NYC for the next six years is a big draw, my fiancé already works in Manhattan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info!! The stability of having a guaranteed place in NYC for the next six years is a big draw, my fiancé already works in Manhattan.

From what I heard when I was there, that is definitely something they are looking for, so I don't think it would hurt to say something along those lines. That being said, I only talked to their Gen. Surg. 3-Year Director, so that could just be his opinion, but it sounded like a reasonable question many would have.

Trying to pre-write my secondary, quick question about #4:

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

I've talked more generally about how I want to go into academic medicine, but I have specific interests in being a neonatologist (with a lot of hours in different pediatric specialities and in the NICU to back it up). Is it okay to talk about that, or is it overzealous to talk about a specific subspecialty in my plans?
Would you mind positing the secondaries, or where you found them? Thanks!

Would you mind positing the secondaries, or where you found them? Thanks!

1) If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

2) If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

The following questions are designed to assess ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit each answer to a maximum of 2500 characters.

3) The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.

What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

4) The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

5) Please answer only one of the following three questions:

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
  2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
  3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

These are from last year.

What would you constitute as a significant fluctuation in your academic record for the secondary?

What would you constitute as a significant fluctuation in your academic record for the secondary?

+1

I did consistently poorly during undergrad (3.3) and then got a 4.0 in SMP.
Should I attempt to explain why I was just a really bad student for 4 years and what changed?

Is there any use in applying to this school in my case?
I estimate a 516+ MCAT & I have 11 publications, lots of clinical/volunteer experience

Would having 3-4 C's constitute significant academic fluctuation?

For the letter section, do we have to re-submit LOR's specifically to NYU? Or do they just get the ones we sent into AMCAS? Because my dashboard currently says I don't have any letters

WHERE'S MY SECONDARY

tumblr_megvkeY4WZ1rkffv3o1_400.gif

Anyone know if the "core values" are written anywhere, or is it just broad values? A lot of schools have phrases like "core values" in their mission and then list out a few of them, but I don't see it anywhere on the NYU website and just want to make sure.

Did you guys copy and paste your essays in? I want to but I'm afraid of the "DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ANY ESSAYS ONTO THE APPLICATION" in the email.

Did you guys copy and paste your essays in? I want to but I'm afraid of the "DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ANY ESSAYS ONTO THE APPLICATION" in the email.
Do it. They will never know.

I think they are just afraid you might break the character limit. Just make sure your within the limit, and paste anyways.

Same. I was wondering that as well, but I think it might just be taking them longer to receive/confirm that they have received the letters.
My guess is they will review your letters once the secondary is submitted then update from there. At least I hope because I am in the same situation

Current MS2 and student ambassador here. Below is a list of hopefully useful information/links about the school and application process. Several current students and I will also be checking SDN regularly to help with questions. NYU really is an amazing place to study medicine and you guys are applying at a particularly exciting time, good luck!

Stats for 2015 entering class:

· Applications received: 7,807
· Interviews granted: 1,027
· Entering class size: 132
· NY residents: 29%
· Median undergraduate GPA: 3.87
· Median MCAT: 36
· URM: 33%
· Women: 56%
· Total Enrollment: 687

2015-2016 Secondary:

1) If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

2) If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

The following questions are designed to assess ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit each answer to a maximum of 2500 characters.

3) The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.
What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

4) The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

5) Please answer only one of the following three questions:
  1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
  2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
  3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

MMI:

· Series of 8 interview stations consisting of timed interview scenarios.
· Total of 72 minutes
· Scenarios may explore an applicant’s communication skills, ability to work as part of a team, problem solving capabilities, integrity, ethics and judgment. You will receive a prompt of the scenario or question you will address before entering the station. You will then have two minutes to gather your thoughts before you enter the room.

3-year MD:

· The Three-Year MD Degree Pathway provides an accelerated track for a select group of eligible students. All students graduating from the Three-Year MD Degree Pathway will participate in the Main Residency Match and will be offered acceptance into an NYU Langone Medical Center residency program of their choice at the time of admission.

· You can apply to the 3 year program either at the time of acceptance to NYU School of Medicine or during February of your first year

· Deadlines: Applications for the Three-Year MD pathway are available through the applicant portal beginning July 1st at 12:00 AM EST. Important deadlines to be aware of are as follows: (1) tertiary application deadline is March 1st by 11:59 PM EST; (2) interviews with residency program directors will occur in late March through April; (3) decision letters are sent in April.

First year cost of attendance: $78,975

Of note:

· NYU has a group of current students that function as ambassadors and are available to help with questions/admissions process in general:
o Email: [email protected]

o Link for ambassador profiles in case you want to contact someone with specific interests: http://www.med.nyu.edu/school/admissions/student-ambassadors/current-nyusom-ambassadors

· Dean Rivera will hold several twitter chats (first one 7/14 @ 12 PM) where you have an opportunity to ask questions

· Social media:
o IG: https://www.instagram.com/nyuschoolofmed/?hl=en
o Twitter: https://twitter.com/nyuschoolofmed
o Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NYUSchoolofMedicine/

"If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application."

I had one D and 2 C's my first semester of college. Then (almost) steady A's from that point on.... Not significant enough to comment on, correct?

"If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application."

I had one D and 2 C's my first semester of college. Then (almost) steady A's from that point on.... Not significant enough to comment on, correct?

I wouldn't think it's significant enough, it seems like it was just an upward trend not a fluctuation anyway

For the essay when we need to describe when working with someone has been challenging, would it be appropriate to talk about how working with a patient was challenging and our staff worked as a team to calm him down? Or should I stick to the three options it gives? As backround, I work in a doctor's office

Maybe a dumb question, but the question that asks "
If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so."

Is the "reasons for doing so" supposed to mean your reason for taking time off, or your reaons for doing what you have done in that time? If it's the former, I don't know how to nicely put that I took my MCAT in august and couldn't apply last cycle lol.

Does anyone know why the Tertiary Application for the three-year MD pathway program is not showing up on the Secondary? It shows it in the checkbox but doesn't appear anywhere

Maybe a dumb question, but the question that asks "
If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so."

Is the "reasons for doing so" supposed to mean your reason for taking time off, or your reaons for doing what you have done in that time? If it's the former, I don't know how to nicely put that I took my MCAT in august and couldn't apply last cycle lol.
Prompt is a little vague, so you could probably just explain your motivation behind each activity, and not explain why you took the gap year. Or, you could always say you took the gap year to save money/gain experience in xyz/wanted to travel or do some fun activity before committing to many years of training/etc.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Does anyone know why the Tertiary Application for the three-year MD pathway program is not showing up on the Secondary? It shows it in the checkbox but doesn't appear anywhere

The website says this: "In order to apply to the three-year pathway, you must first be accepted into the four-year MD program." I assume you'll be invited to complete the tertiary only after you're accepted.

If we apply for the 3 year MD now, do they know? Or do they only care about that once you're in?

2º Question: the first one asks:

"The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?"

Could I potentially use a challenge essay I wrote for another school's secondary with more of a twist as to how it will increase my future success as a med student / physician??

p.s... NYU is one of my top choices, so I really don't want to screw this up.....

Last edited:

They only care once you're in.

You apply once you're accepted. You can also apply after your first year unless they changed that rule. I think they also recently allowed mudpuds to apply after their PhDs.

For the third essay I am choosing the achievement prompt. Do you all think it would be a good idea to use an award I won at the end of my senior year of high school? There's really no other personal achievement that is really meaningful to me other than grades, but everyone has those. It was a scholar athlete award and I can talk about how it has influenced me to this day. What do you all think?

Hey Everyone! 3.7 GPA/515 MCAT from CA here. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I submitted the primary the first day but still haven't received the secondary. Not sure if it went into my spam (I checked but couldn't find out), but from my understanding, NYU doesn't screen. Anyone else not receive the secondary yet? If this is a mistake, who should I contact? I received the email about the twitter chat thing today so I'm just wondering if I somehow missed the email or if I just didn't receive it yet.