2016-2017 SUNY - Buffalo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cmon Buffalo, where's the love? The only SUNY to not give me an II. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm IS with LizzyM score of 72.20, MCAT 516

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Cmon Buffalo, where's the love? The only SUNY to not give me an II. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm IS with LizzyM score of 72.20, MCAT 516
Same boat here. Still nothing from them, IS, one of the first schools I was complete with. I'm just hanging onto the idea that 1, they review apps in a completely random order and 2 the fact that they have sent out batches of rejections already means we aren't simply being silently rejected. So there is still a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the interview, do we have to bring a copy of our picture? Or do we send it online?

Hey guys, I have an upcoming interview here on the 18th. I read somewhere that UB tends to ask particularly tricky/challenging questions, is there a document or thread somewhere that discusses that?
I found this not to be the case at all. It's simply a personal interview

I'm still confused about their whole random review process. Quite a few people I know (including myself) got an II exactly 2 weeks after receiving the complete email, while people who have been complete since August still haven't heard anything.

I'm still confused about their whole random review process. Quite a few people I know (including myself) got an II exactly 2 weeks after receiving the complete email, while people who have been complete since August still haven't heard anything.
I'm equally as confused! Complete early August and haven't heard a thing.

Hey guys, I have an upcoming interview here on the 18th. I read somewhere that UB tends to ask particularly tricky/challenging questions, is there a document or thread somewhere that discusses that?

I found that Buffalo was one of the few schools that took the time to read my app beyond a superficial level. They asked meaningful questions during my interview, most personal and a few ethical but somewhat related to my app. Buffalo outright says they'll never ask an applicant "tell me about yourself" because it's an insult to the applicant and the time they've devoted to AMCAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted today! Interviewed yesterday. Sent my secondary in November. LizzyM 72. OOS. Good luck everyone !

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of you that have been waitlisted sent in an update letter? If so, where did you send it to? Thanks in advance

Hey everyone! I was recently accepted to the Physician Assistant program at D'Youville College. I'm looking at getting a two bedroom apartment at Collegiate Village (http://www.collegiatevillagewny.com/), and I'm looking for someone to share it with. For those of you who haven't heard of Collegiate Village, it does shuttle to the UB South campus, which is where I believe the medical school is. I'm looking for a female who likes a clean place, isn't into drugs or alcohol (occasional drinking doesn't bother me, just not a wasted and puking mess), and not much of a partier (at least not at what would be our place--why would I care what you do at other people's places). Due to the intensity of my program, I would like the apartment to be a place where productive studying alone or in groups can be done and where we can sleep without disruption, and I know since you guys will be in medical school, you probably feel the same. Message me if you're interested:)

Interview received last week, scheduled for next month! Complete in July

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Haven't heard anything since early September, OOS but raised in upstate NY for 20 years. 507 MCAT and 3.91 GPA with below avg ECs. Hope I still have a chance here!

Do you guys think I should express interest here pre-II? Would love to go here but the process seems so random (especially here)

Complete in august

Accepted yesterday! Interviewed two days ago

Reactions: 7 users
Do you guys think I should express interest here pre-II? Would love to go here but the process seems so random (especially here)

Complete in august
I was wondering the same thing. I'm holding at another school, but would like to hear from Buffalo. I find it hard to believe that, even with their "random" review process, they haven't looked at our apps since July/ August.

Hey everyone, I'm a first year at Buffalo - I randomly thought of going on here after completely blacking out that part of my memory where I would obsessively check everyone's responses on various school threads. Anywho, I thought I'd offer to answer any questions you might have about the school or whatever, if that's at all helpful. Hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
I was wondering the same thing. I'm holding at another school, but would like to hear from Buffalo. I find it hard to believe that, even with their "random" review process, they haven't looked at our apps since July/ August.

During my interview, Dr. Severin made a point that they read literally every piece of your application with serious detail. Since their secondary was just clicking a button, they evaluate applications sort of randomly, and Dr. Severin himself said that they still had a sizable chunk of applications left to review (I interviewed in mid January)

During my interview, Dr. Severin made a point that they read literally every piece of your application with serious detail. Since their secondary was just clicking a button, they evaluate applications sort of randomly, and Dr. Severin himself said that they still had a sizable chunk of applications left to review (I interviewed in mid January)

Well that's good to know. Still haven't heard anything from them yet. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 3 users
II this morning! Any advice please!

Hey that's awesome! Unfortunately I don't have any advice (still waiting for an II) but could you share IS/OOS, complete date, stats? Again, congrats and good luck with your interview!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, I'm a first year at Buffalo - I randomly thought of going on here after completely blacking out that part of my memory where I would obsessively check everyone's responses on various school threads. Anywho, I thought I'd offer to answer any questions you might have about the school or whatever, if that's at all helpful. Hang in there!

Hey thanks for doing this! Do you know the status of the new medical school downtown? Also, how do you feel about the preclinical grading scheme - are there any talks to change this?

Hey that's awesome! Unfortunately I don't have any advice (still waiting for an II) but could you share IS/OOS, complete date, stats? Again, congrats and good luck with your interview!

Hi! I'm IS and LM is 67. Complete late August/September.

Could anyone PM me about details regarding applying for in state residency for years 2-4 for OOS students? The website seems pretty vague in terms of what needs to happen in order for your in state residency application to be accepted. Thanks in advance!!

Had anyone received their financial aid package yet?

Nope. And I was accepted on the first possible day to accept students. I actually haven't received anything save for a physical copy of the acceptance letter.

Hey thanks for doing this! Do you know the status of the new medical school downtown? Also, how do you feel about the preclinical grading scheme - are there any talks to change this?

Hey, so the new school is scheduled to be opened next year. The faculty is scheduled to move down at the beginning of the school year and students scheduled to be there for second semester. That means if you get in for next year, first semester classes are still at the old school (which includes anatomy).

I don't mind the grading scheme, the student body isn't competitive so it doesn't affect you much day to day. There's talk of switching to pass-fail, especially with the reports of a high level of depression in medical school students. They tried to change it before, but residencies want something to look at besides step 1 scores so it was shot down. FYI to other people we have 90-100 as Honors, 80-90 as High Satisfactory, and 70-80 as Satisfactory, below 70 is a fail. Also averages are always in the high 80's so most people do well. And, as the faculty stresses, it's not a curve so everyone can get all Honors.

Reactions: 2 users
Would love to get an II here! complete 8/1.

Hey all, Army healthcare recruiter here from the area. Just wanted to say congrats to everyone who got in. If you have any questions about our scholarship for medical school let me know!

Anyone know if Buffalo's sending out pre-II rejections? I've only seen one or two so I'm wondering what's up with that considering I haven't heard anything since July?

Anyone know if Buffalo's sending out pre-II rejections? I've only seen one or two so I'm wondering what's up with that considering I haven't heard anything since July?

I know someone personally who got a pre-II rejection. The 2 other people I know who applied here and I have not heard anything since our apps were complete. I guess we are at least still in the running. It is pretty annoying though, especially because they do not accept pre-II updates/letters of intent.

I know someone personally who got a pre-II rejection. The 2 other people I know who applied here and I have not heard anything since our apps were complete. I guess we are at least still in the running. It is pretty annoying though, especially because they do not accept pre-II updates/letters of intent.
True. Well good to know we're still in the running. Kind of a head scratcher though with this whole "random review" process. I'll hope for the best though, I guess!

Any new IIs trickle in? Haven't even heard a peep from the school since I was first complete...

So looking at the wait list threads for this school during the past few years, it looks like most people who made it off the waitlist were from later interview dates. Do you think that's because a student is more likely to get off the waitlist if they interviewed later in the cycle? Or maybe some type of bias in the type of people who respond to the thread?