2016-2017 SUNY - Buffalo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is the waitlist movement here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

How is the waitlist movement here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard that large waitlist movement is generally seen here in late April up until July (maybe some even later, but a small amount) when students must select one school to go to & give up their acceptances to other schools. However, UB says that students can be accepted off the wait list at any time after being waitlisted.

Just got an interview this morning! Complete late July

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance email about an hour ago! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Wait list movement is decent here. They wait list around 200-250 people. They used to tier the wait list into thirds and let you know which third (1st, 2nd, or dreaded 3rd) you were in. Typically they would make it into the bottom of the 2nd tier by the start of the year. However there are more applicants every year. It is probably safe to assume about half of those wait-listed will be accepted.
(I'm a current 3rd year)

Reactions: 1 user
Wait list movement is decent here. They wait list around 200-250 people. They used to tier the wait list into thirds and let you know which third (1st, 2nd, or dreaded 3rd) you were in. Typically they would make it into the bottom of the 2nd tier by the start of the year. However there are more applicants every year. It is probably safe to assume about half of those wait-listed will be accepted.
(I'm a current 3rd year)
They also have 40 more spots in the class though

Come on Buffalo, wheres' the love? The only SUNY still giving me the cold shoulder by a wide margin. IS complete first half of July. Buffalo has a unique way of going through applications correct?

For those of you accepted, did you receive a formal acceptance packet? All I received so far was a letter. Just am paranoid I'm missing things.

And for those of you waiting, good luck!

For those of you accepted, did you receive a formal acceptance packet? All I received so far was a letter. Just am paranoid I'm missing things.

And for those of you waiting, good luck!
I received an email with a form I needed to sign to confirm my fufillment of the prerequisites and instructions on how to pay the deposit.

II! OOS, LizzyM~ 69, nontrad, complete end of August

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, any advice for interview day? :)

Just relax and enjoy the day. The interviews are pretty standard and conversational. Be prepared to do a good amount of walking for the tours, so wear comfy shoes if u can. You'll get a lot of stories and information on the school, but I found the tour to be quite relaxing. Then you'll get a presentation and lunch with current students before going to your interviews. There will be snacks and drinks in the student lounge where you wait and you can speak to the current students there as well. It's a chill day! Have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to hear! guess we should all be on the alert for these coming out now. i think you're the first report.

mind sharing when you were complete?
It's interesting to see a pre-I rejection pop up. I'm IS, complete since July and still haven't heard a peep!

does it seem like they only send pre-II rejections to instate students? as in, do they not acknowledge most OOS applicants.

No news whatsoever except for complete back in August. IS

II just now!! Wasn't expecting this one. Complete late August

Reactions: 3 users
Would anyone who has gotten accepted mind saying what their stats were?

No word/hold at all. Any chance of me receiving an interview at this point?

Would anyone who has gotten accepted mind saying what their stats were?
Gpa around 3.8, MCAT 515. All that is blinded during the interview. Interviewers have everything on you but your numbers.

(I'm a current 3rd year)

It seems they waitlist almost everyone who isn't rejected. Dr. Severin said that if we're waitlisted not to worry because there is a good chance we get off of the waitlist. Mr. Rosso said that at the end of last cycle only 10 people remained on the waitlist (not sure how many withdrew before the end of the cycle).

It seems they waitlist almost everyone who isn't rejected. Dr. Severin said that if we're waitlisted not to worry because there is a good chance we get off of the waitlist. Mr. Rosso said that at the end of last cycle only 10 people remained on the waitlist (not sure how many withdrew before the end of the cycle).
Mr. Rosso actully said only 10 people remained on the waitlist? He nvr said that at my interview day

Mr. Rosso actully said only 10 people remained on the waitlist? He nvr said that at my interview day

Ya he said he always feels bad when he sees people on the waitlist who weren't accepted anywhere else because they may have been diamonds in the rough. He said that last year of the 10 people who remained on the waitlist 3 of them (I think?) weren't holding acceptances anywhere else and that if the class size were only slightly bigger they would have all been accepted

Ya he said he always feels bad when he sees people on the waitlist who weren't accepted anywhere else because they may have been diamonds in the rough. He said that last year of the 10 people who remained on the waitlist 3 of them (I think?) weren't holding acceptances anywhere else and that if the class size were only slightly bigger they would have all been accepted

I could guarantee you that is completely false. just right off the top of my head I know 4 ppl (including me) that didn't get off the waitlist with no acceptances anywhere else last cycle. last cycle I kept track of just the SDN pool of people that were waitlisted and I could for sure say that more than 10 people were still on the list by the start of the school year and thats not even counting people not on SDN. its kind of annoying that they lie about stuff like that. they can easily just avoid giving false info by just not saying stuff like that. it gives unnecessary false hope. My guess after obsessively following the whole cycle last year. 1/3- 1/2 at the very best get accepted off the waitlist (but a decent amount also decline). The waitlist is also not as short as they make it sound. At the very least, there are about 250 people on the list. My guess is a little shy of 300 probably 280. But I am not surprise that it is north of 300. From what I heard, few get rejected (~20% interviewed) and the rest is accepted or put on the waitlist

I could guarantee you that is completely false. just right off the top of my head I know 4 ppl (including me) that didn't get off the waitlist with no acceptances anywhere else last cycle. last cycle I kept track of just the SDN pool of people that were waitlisted and I could for sure say that more than 10 people were still on the list by the start of the school year and thats not even counting people not on SDN. its kind of annoying that they lie about stuff like that. they can easily just avoid giving false info by just not saying stuff like that. it gives unnecessary false hope. My guess after obsessively following the whole cycle last year. 1/3- 1/2 at the very best get accepted off the waitlist (but a decent amount also decline). The waitlist is also not as short as they make it sound. At the very least, there are about 250 people on the list. My guess is a little shy of 300 probably 280. But I am not surprise that it is north of 300. From what I heard, few get rejected (~20% interviewed) and the rest is accepted or put on the waitlist

That makes sense, the numbers didn't quite add up. They said they're still interviewing 600 applicants, so with 180 spots, there could be a lot of waitlist movement. If only we knew the school's yield. Last year Stony Brook (most comparable school I could find with available data) accepted 394 students to fill their class of 132, which is almost exactly 3 acceptances per seat. I think Stony Brook is usually ranked higher, so I'm guessing we can conservatively estimate that Buffalo also accepts 3 applicants per seat. So 540 acceptances out of 600 interviews? 90% post-interview acceptance rate? I could see them taking most of the waitlist in that scenario, but only if they are accepting 3 applicants to fill one seat, which is just a guess on my part.

That makes sense, the numbers didn't quite add up. They said they're still interviewing 600 applicants, so with 180 spots, there could be a lot of waitlist movement. If only we knew the school's yield. Last year Stony Brook (most comparable school I could find with available data) accepted 394 students to fill their class of 132, which is almost exactly 3 acceptances per seat. I think Stony Brook is usually ranked higher, so I'm guessing we can conservatively estimate that Buffalo also accepts 3 applicants per seat. So 540 acceptances out of 600 interviews? 90% post-interview acceptance rate? I could see them taking most of the waitlist in that scenario, but only if they are accepting 3 applicants to fill one seat, which is just a guess on my part.

I agree. I think last year it was like somewhere around 640 interviewed, but that was for a class of 144. So if they do plan on keeping the interview number the same, then I believe most of the people on the waitlist will get off. However, thats only if they stay at at 640

Hi all, I interviewed at this school, during the tour Mr. Rousso said that of the top ten people in the waitlist, 7 had no acceptances and 3 did. He was saying that those 10 people were very qualified, not that there were only ten people on the waitlist. Hope this clarifies something for the people who were upset.

P.S. Mr Rousso does not work for Tim Horton's or Paula's Donuts.

this message is brought to you by Paula's Donuts.

Mr. Rosso is the man, but the waitlist comment is pointless. Any candidate to receive an MD interview and not be outright rejected post interview is highly qualified. If there is no reference (like the tier system they use to have) to how far down the waitlist they went through, then one cannot use that comment to gauge their chance of acceptance.

Hi all, I interviewed at this school, during the tour Mr. Rousso said that of the top ten people in the waitlist, 7 had no acceptances and 3 did. He was saying that those 10 people were very qualified, not that there were only ten people on the waitlist. Hope this clarifies something for the people who were upset.

P.S. Mr Rousso does not work for Tim Horton's or Paula's Donuts.

this message is brought to you by Paula's Donuts.

Oh my bad, I misunderstood him then. Must have been the nerves. Regardless, hopefully we see a lot of movement this year!

Has Buffalo sent out any pre-II rejections aside from that random one report? They seem awfully quiet this cycle, no?

Has Buffalo sent out any pre-II rejections aside from that random one report? They seem awfully quiet this cycle, no?
Complete late June and haven't heard anything. IS. LizzyM 70. Not really sure why? Have already been accepted elsewhere.

Rejected today.... this one really hurt. Thanks for ruining the new year Buffalo :yeahright:.

Completed mid-August.

Edit: IS

Last edited:
Got the axe today as well. LM low seventies, complete back in August, OOS. Not surprised, best of luck all!

hey guys, maybe one of you can help me out. I've been accepted here OOS, and I've been trying to figure out how hard it is to claim NY residency after one year. I really really don't wanna pay 60k tuition for 4 years. From what I've gathered, it looks like it's possible to get NY state residency. How hard is it/do you know anyone who has done it? Do I have to do anything besides have an off campus residence?

hey guys, maybe one of you can help me out. I've been accepted here OOS, and I've been trying to figure out how hard it is to claim NY residency after one year. I really really don't wanna pay 60k tuition for 4 years. From what I've gathered, it looks like it's possible to get NY state residency. How hard is it/do you know anyone who has done it? Do I have to do anything besides have an off campus residence?

I've heard NY is remarkably easy, just showing that you have the lease with the date on it is sometimes enough. But to be safe, I'd get the NY driver's license and potentially change your plates if you bring a car.

I've heard NY is remarkably easy, just showing that you have the lease with the date on it is sometimes enough. But to be safe, I'd get the NY driver's license and potentially change your plates if you bring a car.
this is great news!

II this morning, IS and complete 10/1

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

II! IS, Complete 8/1

II! So happy!! I was complete in July