2016-2017 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know if UC is receptive to questions regarding rejected applicants applications now that the interview season is over?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know as well!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was rejected from the ROSE program a few years ago (and the coordinator is someone on the regular admissions team), and she was very receptive to talking to me after the fact. I would think they would be the same way for the regular MD program as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was rejected from the ROSE program a few years ago (and the coordinator is someone on the regular admissions team), and she was very receptive to talking to me after the fact. I would think they would be the same way for the regular MD program as well.

Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anybody know if UC is receptive to questions regarding rejected applicants applications now that the interview season is over?
They said on my interview day that they will discuss your application with you if you interview and are not accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I applied here and was just rejected (pre-interview) the same day my fiancee was matched there for urology residency!
I am currently in an SMP at Georgetown and doing well, but maybe the fall courses were not enough to help me. I have a 513 MCAT. I obviously really want to go here because I will be moving to Cincinnati in 4 months for about 5 years+.

Should I email the admissions to try and discuss my application? I could ask how I can improve, but at this point with the SMP I've done basically everything I can...I have research publications from 2 years as a tech in a lab, a ton of volunteering both clinical and non-clinical. So I am not sure what they would say. I am from NY, so I don't know if that was a factor also.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: just read that Jan 13 was their last interview day. I didn't send them an update with my fall grades until after that. Maybe I was just too late this season, and next cycle might be better?

Has anyone received financial aid info yet? My app has been complete for months but on my portal it says FAFSA hasn't been received but it has been for other schools.

Has anyone received financial aid info yet? My app has been complete for months but on my portal it says FAFSA hasn't been received but it has been for other schools.
Same thing happened to me. I called the financial aid office- there is an issue with their system. They were able to confirm mine was received even though it didn't show up!

Same thing happened to me. I called the financial aid office- there is an issue with their system. They were able to confirm mine was received even though it didn't show up!
Oh sweet thanks for the info! I was planning on calling sometime soon.

Do people normally bring anyone with them to Second Look? My parents really want to see the school, but I'm not sure if that would be weird or not?

Do people normally bring anyone with them to Second Look? My parents really want to see the school, but I'm not sure if that would be weird or not?

I think second look is mostly for students and maybe SOs, I could be wrong though since I didn't go.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I think second look is mostly for students and maybe SOs, I could be wrong though since I didn't go.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Speaking of which, does anyone know when second look is? I don't think I've heard anything about it yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to withdraw your acceptance? I've tried calling the admissions office and no one would answer and I've tried emailing to no response

Does anyone know how to withdraw your acceptance? I've tried calling the admissions office and no one would answer and I've tried emailing to no response

I would just email the admissions office! That is what I have done at other schools and it has not been a problem

Edit: include your AMCAS ID

Does anybody know when financial aid packages come out??

Reactions: 2 users
I got my estimated award letter on April 22nd, and my official award letter on July 12th.

Oh wow haha I thought they said something like the end of February...

Oh wow haha I thought they said something like the end of February...

"Applicants who complete their financial aid files by February 1, 2017, will receive an Estimated Award Letter by March 2017."

"Applicants who complete their financial aid files by February 1, 2017, will receive an Estimated Award Letter by March 2017."

Ah, right - I think the deadline this year for financial aid was moved up a few months earlier than last year. I'm glad we are getting our estimated award earlier/sooner than April.

Reactions: 1 users

Wat that's so much better than April!
Lol not that it matters since I only got into one school and didn't get any scholarships.

Hi everyone! I'm a current M1 and wanted to chime in now that we're getting about a month out for second look and people are beginning to make decisions! First off, for anyone who missed it or hasn't joined yet, here is the Facebook group for the class of 2021. https://www.facebook.com/groups/UCCOM2021/ @Lannister has been doing a phenomenal job for this thread answering questions! I would encourage people to ask questions to the UCCOM 2021 page too because there are lots of other M1's there that can also answer questions as well as some of the student government members who can ask our lovely admissions staff for clarifications or more info for you guys! It'll also be where good info like the housing list will be posted. You are welcome to message me or tag me to ask any questions as well! Looking forward to meeting you guys in a month!

Has anyone received a financial aid award letter yet? Aren't we suppose to be getting them back soon?

Excited to get the Second Look sign-up email this morning. Can any M1s who went to theirs last year share what the day consisted of? I was surprised to see that it went from 10 AM to 8 PM.

Would it be weird to bring a parent to second look?

Would it be weird to bring a parent to second look?
I wasn't sure because it said we could bring one guest so I assume it would be fine, but maybe they just mean a like a spouse/SO. My dad really wants to go but I haven't decided because I don't want to be the only one with a parent there either

I wasn't sure because it said we could bring one guest so I assume it would be fine, but maybe they just mean a like a spouse/SO. My dad really wants to go but I haven't decided because I don't want to be the only one with a parent there either
Same boat. I guess we could be the only two with a parent there lol

Same boat. I guess we could be the only two with a parent there lol

I would view it like this: One of the main reasons to go to second look (if you have pretty much decided on that school already) is to meet future classmates and make friends--or at least for me. If you are there with your parents, I find that a bit intimidating (not the right word, but still), and I probably wont go too far out of my way to talk to you. Might sound weird, but I'm sure there are a lot of people like that. Maybe something you should consider

Reactions: 3 users
Received an email to confirm place on Alternate List. I wonder if that means they plan on there being more movement this year?

@Gurkhali I sure hope they'll have more movement, but I think it's just standard practice for the alternate list. (At least according to MSAR)

@Gurkhali I sure hope they'll have more movement, but I think it's just standard practice for the alternate list. (At least according to MSAR)
Haha ya I figured. I'm not rational nowadays...everything is a "sign". I've grown superstitious....I even prayed for the first time in a while this year. Crazy stuff

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else received their preliminary financial aid package? If so, are you also having trouble opening the link?

Has anyone else received their preliminary financial aid package? If so, are you also having trouble opening the link?
Yes, received an email about 40 minutes ago that stated my award was ready to view. Link has not worked in that 40-minute period.

Yes, received an email about 40 minutes ago that stated my award was ready to view. Link has not worked in that 40-minute period.

Haha okay, glad it's not just me. I was trying to check on my phone because I'm on spring break so I thought that's why it wasn't working!

Does anyone know if the need-based scholarships will change at all for 2nd and 3rd year when the tuition is higher? Or should we expect the same amount for all 4 years

Haha okay, glad it's not just me. I was trying to check on my phone because I'm on spring break so I thought that's why it wasn't working!

Tip: financial award estimate letter is not a PDF and doesn't open in Safari (both iPhone & MacBook). Use Chrome.

Does anyone know if the need-based scholarships will change at all for 2nd and 3rd year when the tuition is higher? Or should we expect the same amount for all 4 years

Edit: noticed you said need-based scholarships. FAFSA loans will always cover full CoA. Can't speak for scholarships but I assume they will not increase, could be wrong.

Edit: noticed you said need-based scholarships. FAFSA loans will always cover full CoA. Can't speak for scholarships but I assume they will not increase, could be wrong.

Thanks, I ended up calling the financial aid office and that's what I was told. Need based aid won't increase along with the increased costs for 2nd and 3rd year. Despite that, it looks like Cincinnati will be by far the cheapest school for me to attend

Have scholarships gone out yet? If my aid package doesn't list any does that mean I for sure won't get one? Trying to figure out if I'm safe to withdraw.

Does anyone know what we have to do before matriculation? I haven't seen any upcoming deadlines or found a checklist of what needs to be completed.

Does anyone know what we have to do before matriculation? I haven't seen any upcoming deadlines or found a checklist of what needs to be completed.

You'll eventually get an email (in early May, I believe) about logging into CastleBranch, that's where you new student checklist will be. Make sure to get the stuff on there done as early as possible. I got behind on the vaccination stuff and ended up missing a few deadlines, then got a call saying my acceptance would be rescinded if I didn't get the vaccines done haha.

You'll eventually get an email (in early May, I believe) about logging into CastleBranch, that's where you new student checklist will be. Make sure to get the stuff on there done as early as possible. I got behind on the vaccination stuff and ended up missing a few deadlines, then got a call saying my acceptance would be rescinded if I didn't get the vaccines done haha.

Is CastleBranch the student portal? I'm sure they will give us more information during Second Look next week.

Is CastleBranch the student portal? I'm sure they will give us more information during Second Look next week.

Thank god, it is not. I haven't used CastleBranch since orientation and I hope to never use it again.
We have a couple of student portals, MedOneStop (with which you're already familiar), LCMS+ (for scheduling), and Catalyst for tuition and stuff.