2016-2017 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Counting down the days until second look, I'm so excited!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
people going to second look: are you guys planning on staying for the mixer after/staying the night in Cinci??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope everyone is enjoying second look far more than the M1s enjoyed our BMB exam today. :)

Reactions: 1 user
They told me I was on the first tier waitlist, I guess I am curious how waitlist movement has been for the past 5 years and how many people are on the first tier waitlist? I lost my materials from interview day

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They told me I was on the first tier waitlist, I guess I am curious how waitlist movement has been for the past 5 years and how many people are on the first tier waitlist? I lost my materials from interview day

I think I remember them saying on interview day it varies greatly year to year... Last year there was very little, but I think a couple years ago there was up to 20 offers off the wait list. Being in the first tier is definitely a good sign though.... good luck!

I think I remember them saying on interview day it varies greatly year to year... Last year there was very little, but I think a couple years ago there was up to 20 offers off the wait list. Being in the first tier is definitely a good sign though.... good luck!
One of my friends was already accepted from the first tier waitlist, so it's definitely a good sign.

First tier waitlist but I doubt there will be much movement this year. They sent out the ranking way later this year and Class seems to be very full still.

Just withdrew my acceptance from this program! Best of luck to the next person in line!

Has anyone received the CastleBranch email? I noticed there was a link on the UCCOM website but the admissions office said we would receive an email. Also, does anyone know how to activate the UC email, or is that information also in CastleBranch?

Has anyone received the CastleBranch email? I noticed there was a link on the UCCOM website but the admissions office said we would receive an email. Also, does anyone know how to activate the UC email, or is that information also in CastleBranch?

You'll probably get the CastleBranch email within the next week or two. I got mine in early May.
Your UC email is your [email protected] and your password should be the same as the one you use for medonestop (I think. I never actually log into that email).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I'm going to post anyways before I go look.

How do I withdrawal my application? I can't seem to find anything on the portal.

Thanks!

Sent my withdrawal, good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Accepted!!!! Out of state, LM 72

Accepted off the wait list!! Notification by email saying that my status has changed and to look at the portal. Does anyone know how long we have to decide?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I was just accepted here this morning. Got a call and an email. Interested to know more about what student life is like here if anyone has more info!!

Accepted! Third tier waitlist acceptance, totally not expecting that!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone getting in off the waitlist!! After hearing no one got in off of it last year, y'all give me hope that I'll hear something soon. :)

Accepted this morning off of the 2nd tier waitlist!!!!!! I am over the moon :happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

Uhh I got an email from the UC system about an acceptance but my medstop portal doesn't have a status change at all. What does that mean?

Uhh I got an email from the UC system about an acceptance but my medstop portal doesn't have a status change at all. What does that mean?

Probably that you are accepted... congrats!!

It's just weird that I didn't get an official email from medical admissions.
I found out via an e-mail that I had a status update, and I had to check the portal. I did get a call too but I've heard of people not getting calls. Maybe you can call them to make sure though, especially if the portal isn't updated.

@Lannister or another current student, could you please tell me how much time UC gives for Step 1 studying and if students think it is enough? The materials I have say that M2 ends on June 8 and that Step 1 has to be taken by June 19, which seems really short.

~5 weeks is what I was told. Students at interview day/second look seemed to think it was almost too much time and that they were prepared beforehand. I believe the last block is an integration of all systems and they said it was essentially like a review for step I course.

~5 weeks is what I was told. Students at interview day/second look seemed to think it was almost too much time and that they were prepared beforehand. I believe the last block is an integration of all systems and they said it was essentially like a review for step I course.
So do you mean there was a last block, and then 5 weeks after that to prepare for the STEP?
Looking at the calendar on their website it seems that Step 1 review starts May 8 but classes end June 8, M3 begins on June 25 so I was a little confused. Is review then concurrent with classes? @Lannister

So do you mean there was a last block, and then 5 weeks after that to prepare for the STEP?
Looking at the calendar on their website it seems that Step 1 review starts May 8 but classes end June 8, M3 begins on June 25 so I was a little confused. Is review then concurrent with classes? @Lannister

The last block is called multi-systems which is an integration of all the previous blocks you have learned. I wouldn't call it "review concurrent with classes" (although I do remember on second look saying they have review classes led by M3/M4s), more so the review is built into the curriculum. The last block is essentially a review of everything you have learned previously, which in itself is prepping your for boards. There is ~5 weeks of uninterrupted, dedicated Step 1 time after this block is complete. I am sure most students start thinking of boards after winter break of M2 and they said that the curriculum and 5 weeks of dedicated was plenty of time to feel prepared. Cinci has scored really well on step the last couple of years so they must be doing something right.

@Paris Geller @honey0102 I'm pretty sure that the M2s finished classes May 8th and have until the beginning of M3 to study/take step 1/take time off. But I honestly don't know much about how any of that works. @Frogger27 is correct that multi-systems is a block in and of itself, it's not taken concurrently with GI/endo/repro (which is the last "real" block of M2)".

@Paris Geller @honey0102 I'm pretty sure that the M2s finished classes May 8th and have until the beginning of M3 to study/take step 1/take time off. But I honestly don't know much about how any of that works. @Frogger27 is correct that multi-systems is a block in and of itself, it's not taken concurrently with GI/endo/repro (which is the last "real" block of M2)".
Thanks for letting us know!

Accepted! Third tier wait list acceptance, totally not expecting that!!!
Congrats!! I'm also on tier three so this gives me hope! I have a friend that is a current student at UC and she said that admissions made 50 less offers this year. It's good to know they put people on the wait list with the intentions of accepting them eventually. Fingers crossed :xf:

I saw the portal has classes listed for fall and spring now, but I can't find like a weekly time-block schedule on there. Is that something we get over the summer or not until we get there?

I saw the portal has classes listed for fall and spring now, but I can't find like a weekly time-block schedule on there. Is that something we get over the summer or not until we get there?

I believe the schedule is not set fully. I know the first two weeks are the 1st responder training that will probably be at the same time each day or variable if they are splitting us into groups for more hands on experience. As for the lectures and schedule after that, I believe the schedule varies weekly based on lab times and the clinical skills class. I am not 100% sure about this though. I just don't think it is like undergraduate, where I had the same classes MWF and then the same classes TR. I'm sure the Student Orientation Leaders could probably give you a better answer.

@Justdance55

Week 1: orientation, pretty much 8-5 every day.
Weeks 2-3: first responder, again generally 8-5.
Weeks 4-6: physician and society, lecture from 8-12, then around 2 hours of mandatory activities most afternoons.

Next 7 weeks: fundamentals of Molecular, lecture from 8-12. Afternoons are mostly free with exception of 2 hours of LC on Monday or Tuesday, plus one hour of clinical skills on Thursday or Friday.

Next 7 weeks: fundamentals of Cellular, same schedule as molecular.

Winter break

First 8 weeks of 2nd semester is MSK. Fewer lectures than fundamentals, an average of 3 a day I'd guess. Still from 8-12. Still have LC and clinical skills in the afternoon. LPCC once every other week.

Last 14 weeks of second semester is BMB. Lecture from 8-12, and there's at least one mandatory event almost every day. Still have LC, clinical skills in the afternoon and LPCC once every other week.

Hope that helps. If it would be helpful I could post a screenshot of a typical week from each block, if anyone wants that.

Molecular=biochem
Cellular=immunology
MSK=musculoskeletal and integumentary
BMB=brain, mind, and behavior

I was sending housing emails today to postings in Northern KY to try to get the in-state KY metro rate and some landlord replied "By the way, be careful, if you live in Kentucky your UC tuition may rise."... does anyone know what this person was referring too?

Kinda ominous. I asked him to elaborate and he just replied, "Ask the school".

I was sending housing emails today to postings in Northern KY to try to get the in-state KY metro rate and some landlord replied "By the way, be careful, if you live in Kentucky your UC tuition may rise."... does anyone know what this person was referring too?

Kinda ominous. I asked him to elaborate and he just replied, "Ask the school".

Haven't heard anything about that... Maybe he meant that if you decided to leave Kentucky your second year, you lose IS tuition?