**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
& speaking of *~specialties*~ just out of curiousity...do any of y'all have an idea of what you'd like to go into?

I work with Hospitalists and my male attendings are ALWAYS trying to steer me towards "family friendly" specialties. It's lowkey paternalistic, God bless their heart. They're always like "Have you thought about family medicine? You definitely want to consider your husband and your children." Why do they assume that every woman wants to be a human incubator. Ugh. :yeahright:
For me it depends on what school I end up matriculating to. If its a DO school, I plan on going the IM route and working as a nocturnist (I love night shift). If I get into a top 25 MD school then I will specialize in the field I currently have published multiple papers in. Im open to other specialties.

Members don't see this ad.

Well like my mother told me in Jamaican patois, "hardest Pitney must feel."

You warned him several times and he refuse to listen to your advice. He will learn his lesson in the long run.
LOlss think the saying is hard ears pickney must feel... OR Haad ears pickney nyam rackstone

Reactions: 1 user
I have this weird super cute bond with the neurosurg department at my hospital lol i LOVE neuro. Very interesting stuff. I also run a cards clinic so I can understand why people Stan for hearts. They're really smart. Like spontaneously convert from SVT to normal sinus smart. Very pretty too.

I see you wit the ROAD specialty lol as much as I like to think I'm tough, I'm def too much of a softie for any kind of oncology.

For myself, my eyes are currently on General surg/anesthesia/IM to critical care, neurosurg, or CT surg. But again who knows, I might end up doing peds or something lmao
They are both so interesting!! I've shadowed in in all fields and have even shadowed a pediatrician(definitely not for me). I agree, takes a special person to do oncology... I choose not to go into that field due to personal reasons, I don't think I'm strong enough to deal with that! The cool thing about med school is that you have a while to figure out what you want to do!! :) I can't wait to apply :D

Members don't see this ad :)
LOlss think the saying is hard ears pickney must feel... OR Haad ears pickney nyam rackstone

Lol I was just about to say this. And definitely *pickney* but maybe ppl have dialects. I'm not Jamaican, but I'm further south neighbor ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Specialities I am interested in: neurology, (neuro) interventional radiology, neurosurgery, and psychiatry and the pediatric versions of all four. But who knows what may happen, I've been obsessed with the brain for forever and I can see myself in either of the above fields although noted they are all drastically different lifestyles.
My mentor and friends tell me that I am well suited for neurosurgery, read they think I'm too intense and work obsessed lol but I'll see if it ends up suiting me. My strategy is since it's the most competitive of the ones I'm interested in now, I'll prepare for it research and experience wise early on because I can always fall back on to the others.

Specialities I am interested in: neurology, (neuro) interventional radiology, neurosurgery, and psychiatry and the pediatric versions of all four. But who knows what may happen, I've been obsessed with the brain for forever and I can see myself in either of the above fields although noted they are all drastically different lifestyles.
My mentor and friends tell me that I am well suited for neurosurgery, read they think I'm too intense and work obsessed lol but I'll see if it ends up suiting me. My strategy is since it's the most competitive of the ones I'm interested in now, I'll prepare for it research and experience wise early on because I can always fall back on to the others.

I'm right there with you in terms of loving the brain but I'm pretty much dead set on pediatric neurosurgery. I saw brain surgery for the first time when I was 16 and have been hooked ever since. Super nervous since it's really competetive to match but I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I get there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

I'm right there with you in terms of loving the brain but I'm pretty much dead set on pediatric neurosurgery. I saw brain surgery for the first time when I was 16 and have been hooked ever since. Super nervous since it's really competetive to match but I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I get there.

It is. I have a lot of basic neuro research experience but I plan to hit the ground running in the nsg department when I start school because worst thing would be to absolutely want it too late and not have the research and pubs to be competitive when it's time to apply.

It is. I have a lot of basic neuro research experience but I plan to hit the ground running in the nsg department when I start school because worst thing would be to absolutely want it too late and not have the research and pubs to be competitive when it's time to apply.

That's funny we have similar backgrounds, I do as well and that's also why I'm trying to figure out which schools I'm interviewing at have robust Neuroscience departments in general but for the most part it's sort of easy to figure out.

My question is, do you go with basic neuro or clinical neurosurg? It's tough because there are programs like PSTP which are basic research oriented which isn't all that compatible with neurosurg. But basic > clinical from what I hear so I'm definitely confused.

Omfg this meme made me cackle out loud :laugh:

I am going to master this so when I am around annoying people I can use my sign language. Bet people are going to ask what are you saying. Bruh! Lol

& speaking of *~specialties*~ just out of curiousity...do any of y'all have an idea of what you'd like to go into?

I work with Hospitalists and my male attendings are ALWAYS trying to steer me towards "family friendly" specialties. It's lowkey paternalistic, God bless their heart. They're always like "Have you thought about family medicine? You definitely want to consider your husband and your children." Why do they assume that every woman wants to be a human incubator. Ugh. :yeahright:

I'm die hard Derm. Honestly, you don't have to go to a top 25 to get into specialities. If your board scores are high and you publish ish you would be fine.
I know some who didn't and some who did match, despite the name of their school.

Reactions: 1 users

This is a good strategy. Always go hard on the most competitive specialities and then if push comes to shove you can always change.

My question is, do you go with basic neuro or clinical neurosurg? It's tough because there are programs like PSTP which are basic research oriented which isn't all that compatible with neurosurg. But basic > clinical from what I hear so I'm definitely confused.

Actually from everyone I've spoken to, for Nsg, clinical nsg is better than basic every time. Talk to mmcdowe and neusu, I've received excellent advice from both over the years. With that in mind I want to get into actual nsg departments. Both of the aforementioned told me to think about how my projects in neuro could be applied to nsg and go in with some ideas and show them my excitement and interest.

I'm interested in PSTP as well and what I did was look for the researchers that are based in nsg, and I also spoke to one of the coordinators and they said if you can get someone in nsg to "sponsor" you they can be added as an authorized PI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good lookin out WhittyPsyche. Looks like I have some more work to do.

Ooooh we should all help one another for STEP. Why am I already looking at prep? Ugh.

Reactions: 2 users
Ooooh we should all help one another for STEP. Why am I already looking at prep? Ugh.

Lol I think about this already. I blame it on my type A personality and anxiety lol

But we could definitely do a cyber study group as well as local groups. We have the potential here to make something great within our little community. I love that everyone is thinking forward!

:oops::oops::oops::oops: :bag::bag::bag: I still dont think I will be getting in this year much less have the confidence of thinking about step.....

What are things lookin like for you so far this cycle?
It is looking like I have no right complaining and should be happy . 23 apps, 5 II, 2 rejections and 1 wait list ...

On a unrelated note I have been so caught up in the election cycle I started to treat my application cycle like the electoral college . Got rejected by Pitt so I can count Columbia,Cornell ,NYU and Mount Sinai as kinda lost causes. Got rejected by George Town so this makes me worry about Albert Einstein (but G-town has a bias in the states they like to take students from so its a iffy school to use to judge. Everywhere else are battle ground states for me, I got a II from STONY BROOK which to me is the slightly the best SUNY school so I should get some love from the rest (love me Down State plz) .. I know this is total BS and that the entire process is crazy but this gives me the false impression of some control of the entire process..

It is looking like I have no right complaining and should be happy . 23 apps, 5 II, 2 rejections and 1 wait list ...

On a unrelated note I have been so caught up in the election cycle I started to treat my application cycle like the electoral college . Got rejected by Pitt so I can count Columbia,Cornell ,NYU and Mount Sinai as kinda lost causes. Got rejected by George Town so this makes me worry about Albert Einstein (but G-town has a bias in the states they like to take students from so its a iffy school to use to judge. Everywhere else are battle ground states for me, I got a II from STONY BROOK which to me is the slightly the best SUNY school so I should get some love from the rest (love me Down State plz) .. I know this is total BS and that the entire process is crazy but this gives me the false impression of some control of the entire process..

Eh, you'll likely be fine. But nothing is certain until it happens, so I get it.

How are you guys answering the Housing Plans part of FAFSA ?? I dont know if I am staying on or off campus as yet and I dont know if what i put will affect anything

Also i'm loving the neuro peeps!! I too am a fellow neuro lover, unclear whether surgical or not. I'm hoping to figure it out in med school. I also like emergency medicine and IM

Academic IM is SO cerebral lol so much discussion about DDx and medical management. Be ready to write some super detailed notes. Fun stuff.

I personally don't think anything about this process is clear cut and I definitely don't think Pitt is good to use as a standard. They get the best of the best and so many applications so they can be unpredictable...so many people with ridiculous LizzyM's getting rejected which I think tends to be the case at all the "top" schools. Just because you didn't get one doesn't mean you won't get another. Keep your head up you're doing really well.

I personally don't think anything about this process is clear cut and I definitely don't think Pitt is good to use as a standard. They get the best of the best and so many applications so they can be unpredictable...so many people with ridiculous LizzyM's getting rejected which I think tends to be the case at all the "top" schools. Just because you didn't get one doesn't mean you won't get another. Keep your head up you're doing really well.

I agree with this. I got rejected from Georgetown, but got an interview at Pitt. I got put on hold at GW, but got interviews at higher ranked schools. I also don't think this is yield protection either. With medical school admissions, I feel like schools are looking for certain kinds of applicants to fill their class.

I agree with this. I got rejected from Georgetown, but got an interview at Pitt. I got put on hold at GW, but got interviews at higher ranked schools. I also don't think this is yield protection either. With medical school admissions, I feel like schools are looking for certain kinds of applicants to fill their class.

Pretty much how it works
blind_item-2.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Lol. It may work like that but every interview I've gotten was from a school where I felt my overall application fit very well with their mission.

The ones where I was stretching it or trying to make it work... are most of my silent ones.

It's Monday :arghh:. But more importantly, it is the week before thanksgiving which is when a lot of schools(at least for me) have said we can expect some decisions. Please lord! I just need one.

Reactions: 8 users
Still have the biochem/biology MCAT 2015 book and Psych Soc that I want to give away to a student that's a member of the broke phi broke organization. If y'all don't need but know someone who does just let me know and I'll ship them to yall.

I have a whole bunch of PDF versions of books (passed along to me). I compared some of them to the Kaplan review books I had and it seemed that they were only slightly different (fewer practice problems at the ends of chapters or something) but there are also a few different companies. I would really like to forward them to people who need somewhere to start with studying as well!

Still have the biochem/biology MCAT 2015 book and Psych Soc that I want to give away to a student that's a member of the broke phi broke organization. If y'all don't need but know someone who does just let me know and I'll ship them to yall.

Do you remember Hits from the streets on BET? Moo Psi Moo, Milk it, Milk it lol

Has anyone here received significant scholarship amounts from schools? I am slightly worried about OOS tuition & COA after submitting my FASFA.

I can't wait to incubate little humans hehe. But on a more related note, I'm really open-minded right now, but can see myself in either a peds or ob/gyn realated specialty. Something like perinatology or pediatric surgery. Otherwise regular peds or Ob/gyn would be fun as well! I also really enjoy working with geriatric populations, so who knows?

Hey you've still got a shot at all those schools! Just focus on shining through in those interviews, and sending updates to schools that are receptive to them. This whole thing is arbitrary and almost random
Pretty much how it works
blind_item-2.jpg
My thoughts exactly. But hang in there! You still got a lot of potential in this cycle! Have faith in your self and kill those interviews! :D

Y'all. God proved Himself today. Got accepted to 6 TX schools.....I still can't even fathom it as I type this.....

Reactions: 21 users
Y'all. God proved Himself today. Got accepted to 6 TX schools.....I still can't even fathom it as I type this.....
Congratulations!!! You deserve it and are going to be a great doctor someday :)

II for UCSD

My inbox been a little dry lately lol so super stoked. 3/4 on the Cali schools whoot.

Reactions: 7 users
I was a little bummed yesterday that I didn't get into UTSW, BUT.... I kinda secretly want to get out of my hometown for a bit. I have also applied multiple times in Texas so I am sure that had a part in it. Ah well.

I can't say I am not fortunate to have the acceptances I currently have. Life is an adventure. :corny: I'll have to wait and see how things pan out.

Reactions: 6 users
Look at God, I now have 10 interview invites. I honestly cannot believe this.

Reactions: 13 users