-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**
Started by WhittyPsyche
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Which one of you amazing people can I PM about the Tufts interview? Just got invited surprisingly last night
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
Which one of you amazing people can I PM about the Tufts interview? Just got invited surprisingly last night
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
Oh ya know, ya girl got admitted in October and all...😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've waited so patiently to say this... I GOT ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!
Honestly, the only thing that got me through the process was seeing everyone's optimism and excitement here.
So happy to be joining the class of 2021!!!
Honestly, the only thing that got me through the process was seeing everyone's optimism and excitement here.
So happy to be joining the class of 2021!!!
I've waited so patiently to say this... I GOT ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!
Honestly, the only thing that got me through the process was seeing everyone's optimism and excitement here.
So happy to be joining the class of 2021!!!
Congratulations!!! [emoji322][emoji898][emoji324][emoji323]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Which one of you amazing people can I PM about the Tufts interview? Just got invited surprisingly last night
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
Oh ya know, ya girl got admitted in October and all...😉
Mind letting me in on the convo. Got a invite as well! ! Maybe we interview on the same day
absolutely killin it, congrats homie
yeah, let's do itMind letting me in on the convo. Got a invite as well! ! Maybe we interview on the same day
BOSS
absolutely killin it, congrats homie
Thank you!
BOSS
Thank you!! I honestly can't believe it.
You guys bleed greatness. Just being in your company makes me feel good. Shoutout to y'all
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Tufts brought my total II to 6 yesterday. 😀
Plan on canceling my Drexel interview after getting accepted at Jefferson. Does anyone here believe I should do otherwise?
Same here!! 5 interviews, 1 acceptance, recent II from Tufts, cancelled Drexel interview.
Same here!! 5 interviews, 1 acceptance, recent II from Tufts, cancelled Drexel interview.
Congrats on your acceptance!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you!!Congrats on your acceptance!
I maybe have the biggest interview of my life this Tuesday at Mount Sinai. Pretty excited/anxious. I feel pretty prepared, I did a mock interview a couple days ago with a faculty member at my school. Any last minute pointers from you wonderful people?
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Lol but yeah, know yourself and your app well. You're confident that you did what you could to prepare so just go in with that mentality that you are going to kill it and you will. But most importantly, be yourself. Remember what makes you passionate about medicine, what uplifts your spirit, why you're doing all this and you will be fine. The best interviews are when it feels like a good conversation.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats on the II, I know you will rock it!I maybe have the biggest interview of my life this Tuesday at Mount Sinai. Pretty excited/anxious. I feel pretty prepared, I did a mock interview a couple days ago with a faculty member at my school. Any last minute pointers from you wonderful people?
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
That moment when u get a rejection from the school you sure u were going to get in minutes before the biggest interview of the cycle... 🙁
Cause you were too good for them, they rejected you because they were scared you would reject them. Now Go forth and slay that interview
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Cause you were too good for them, they rejected you because they were scared you would reject them. Now Go forth and slay that interview
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
EXACTLY!!! Kill em!
That moment when u get a rejection from the school you sure u were going to get in minutes before the biggest interview of the cycle... 🙁
Don't let it phase you girl! You got this!
Just more reason to kill that interview and prove that other school wrong!That moment when u get a rejection from the school you sure u were going to get in minutes before the biggest interview of the cycle... 🙁
Don't let it phase you girl! You got this!
Thanks! ! Hopefully I did well. The interview today was my top choice I just felt bad about that rejection because i was a local and match the patient population of the school to a tee. But life goes on and I'm going to be a doctor anyway .thanks for the support !!!Just more reason to kill that interview and prove that other school wrong!
Lmao seriously? You're kidding right?!? I could have swore otherwise. Now I feel like a goddamn fool.
Lmao seriously? You're kidding right?!? I could have swore otherwise. Now I feel like a goddamn fool.
LOL the spongebob meme was perfect tho
Lmao seriously? You're kidding right?!? I could have swore otherwise. Now I feel like a goddamn fool.
Omg this happens to me all the time 🙈
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
7
720606
+1Omg this happens to me all the time 🙈
What's good mi gente, so at the point in the cycle where I'm pretty much waiting to hear back from a couple of schools for decisions. I want to send updates, but I have never done so before, and don't really know the protocol or structure of an update letter. If anyone here has tips or know the general structure template of it, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!
Just got another II! This makes 7 total II!
What's good mi gente, so at the point in the cycle where I'm pretty much waiting to hear back from a couple of schools for decisions. I want to send updates, but I have never done so before, and don't really know the protocol or structure of an update letter. If anyone here has tips or know the general structure template of it, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!
I didn't follow a protocol, I just wrote a summary of what I have been doing since submitting my application and I didn't use a formal letter format. You could either write a paragraph or use bullet points.
What's good mi gente, so at the point in the cycle where I'm pretty much waiting to hear back from a couple of schools for decisions. I want to send updates, but I have never done so before, and don't really know the protocol or structure of an update letter. If anyone here has tips or know the general structure template of it, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!
This is the format I used:
Applicant Name: INSERT
AAMC ID: INSERT
RE: Application Update
FULL DATE
P1. INTRO, FEW SENTENCES THAT TELL WHY YOU ARE WRITING / THANK THEM FOR INTERVIEW IF YOU HAD ONE THERE
P2, P3, ETC. SUMMARIZE EACH UPDATE, BUT ADD DETAIL WHERE NECESSARY
P.4 BRIEF STATEMENT OF INTEREST. ("I like this school because of X...)
P. 5 THANK THEM FOR REVIEWING THIS LETTER AND YOUR APP
Sincerely,
YOUR NAME (include signature if you want)
Keep the entire letter to 1 page or less.
Also, has any URM here had any luck with Quinnipiac or Penn State? I've been complete at each for 5+ months with complete silence...
This is the format I used:
Applicant Name: INSERT
AAMC ID: INSERT
RE: Application Update
FULL DATE
P1. INTRO, FEW SENTENCES THAT TELL WHY YOU ARE WRITING / THANK THEM FOR INTERVIEW IF YOU HAD ONE THERE
P2, P3, ETC. SUMMARIZE EACH UPDATE, BUT ADD DETAIL WHERE NECESSARY
P.4 BRIEF STATEMENT OF INTEREST. ("I like this school because of X...)
P. 5 THANK THEM FOR REVIEWING THIS LETTER AND YOUR APP
Sincerely,
YOUR NAME (include signature if you want)
Keep the entire letter to 1 page or less.
I didn't follow a protocol, I just wrote a summary of what I have been doing since submitting my application and I didn't use a formal letter format. You could either write a paragraph or use bullet points.
Thank you guys! this is really helpful.
I interviewed at Quinnipiac this month and was accepted a week later-- I think they interview through March so don't give up! 🙂Also, has any URM here had any luck with Quinnipiac or Penn State? I've been complete at each for 5+ months with complete silence...
EDIT: Also, I was complete in early August/waited 4-5 months before hearing from them. I'm rooting for you!!
Last edited:
Thanks! The wait is killer, but it'll be worth in the end I know 🙂I interviewed at Quinnipiac this month and was accepted a week later-- I think they interview through March so don't give up! 🙂
EDIT: Also, I was complete in early August/waited 4-5 months before hearing from them. I'm rooting for you!!
Penn state was my first interview. I love everything about the school other than the location! Hit me up if you want a run down of the day or the impression I got from the school of the type of student they are looking for .Also, has any URM here had any luck with Quinnipiac or Penn State? I've been complete at each for 5+ months with complete silence...
How are you all deciding on which school to attend? What are the most important factors that you all are considering when making your decisions?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
1.where I feel I would be most happy (mostly a gut call but my gut never failed me yet )How are you all deciding on which school to attend? What are the most important factors that you all are considering when making your decisions?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
2.location (close to NYC)
3.Money /cost
4.commitment to helping the underserved and people of color and promotingdiversity as a whole
5.the amount of hand holding/nurturing vibe of the school. I love a very close nit campus in which the faculty and students have a good relationship and faculty go above and beyond to help their students.
6.pass/fail
7. Chicks(lolz jk)
7
720606
7. Chicks(lolz jk)
Lol, I feel like that's more on my parents' list than mine (guys for me, but you get the point)...
As for me, I think right now my list is (not necessarily in order):
1. Where I liked and felt a great fit during my interview.
2. Where I feel like I'll get the best medical training.
3. Finances (scholarships, etc.)
4. Distance from family (I can talk to my family from anywhere, so not super important to me).
I would choose the 30,000 cheaper and closer to home.I'm stuck between choosing somewhere closer and about $30,000 in tuition cheaper vs more expensive, nicer facilities but able to nurture me more as a black man(not hbcu). Similar curriculum so education really isn't a factor
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you mean by "nurture"? If you like that school A LOT more than the cheaper school then it's a good decision. If it's close to a 50-50 I'd go with the cheaper one.I'm stuck between choosing somewhere closer and about $30,000 in tuition cheaper vs more expensive, nicer facilities but able to nurture me more as a black man(not hbcu). Similar curriculum so education really isn't a factor
How are you all deciding on which school to attend? What are the most important factors that you all are considering when making your decisions?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
We already kinda talked about this but I like lists so here is my tentative ranking:
1.) Happiness. Where I felt the most at ease and where I think I could strive the most. Small class size is a plus
2.) Institutional track record of placing students in competitive specialties in East coast/NE and California. Gunners gonna gun lmao
3.) strength of clinical sites and affiliates
4.) Financial package
5.) ~Social scene/Dating options bc I can't be tinderella for much long lmao jk but like lowkey not kidding at all
I think I'm just about decided on where I want to go. Mostly because the school really surprised me. Supportive staff. Diverse student population. Great community involvement and they have a large population of students going into the military so they provide a lot of support for those students(I'm doing HPSP)
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
We already kinda talked about this but I like lists so here is my tentative ranking:
1.) Happiness. Where I felt the most at ease and where I think I could strive the most. Small class size is a plus
2.) Institutional track record of placing students in competitive specialties in East coast/NE and California. Gunners gonna gun lmao
3.) strength of clinical sites and affiliates
4.) Financial package
5.) ~Social scene/Dating options bc I can't be tinderella for much long lmao jk but like lowkey not kidding at all![]()
Lmao @ #5
But for real those are great factors to consider. I see you trying to go to MGH for residency. I'm having trouble with number one. Mainly because of parental influence.
For me dating scene/social life is dependent on location or am I looking at this wrong?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 338
- Replies
- 73
- Views
- 22K