**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which one of you amazing people can I PM about the Tufts interview? Just got invited surprisingly last night

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I've waited so patiently to say this... I GOT ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!

Honestly, the only thing that got me through the process was seeing everyone's optimism and excitement here.
So happy to be joining the class of 2021!!!

Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've waited so patiently to say this... I GOT ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!

Honestly, the only thing that got me through the process was seeing everyone's optimism and excitement here.
So happy to be joining the class of 2021!!!

Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
You guys bleed greatness. Just being in your company makes me feel good. Shoutout to y'all

Reactions: 8 users
Tufts brought my total II to 6 yesterday. :D

Plan on canceling my Drexel interview after getting accepted at Jefferson. Does anyone here believe I should do otherwise?

Same here!! 5 interviews, 1 acceptance, recent II from Tufts, cancelled Drexel interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I maybe have the biggest interview of my life this Tuesday at Mount Sinai. Pretty excited/anxious. I feel pretty prepared, I did a mock interview a couple days ago with a faculty member at my school. Any last minute pointers from you wonderful people?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Lol but yeah, know yourself and your app well. You're confident that you did what you could to prepare so just go in with that mentality that you are going to kill it and you will. But most importantly, be yourself. Remember what makes you passionate about medicine, what uplifts your spirit, why you're doing all this and you will be fine. The best interviews are when it feels like a good conversation.

I maybe have the biggest interview of my life this Tuesday at Mount Sinai. Pretty excited/anxious. I feel pretty prepared, I did a mock interview a couple days ago with a faculty member at my school. Any last minute pointers from you wonderful people?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Congrats on the II, I know you will rock it!

Reactions: 1 user
That moment when u get a rejection from the school you sure u were going to get in minutes before the biggest interview of the cycle... :(

Cause you were too good for them, they rejected you because they were scared you would reject them. Now Go forth and slay that interview

Reactions: 9 users
That moment when u get a rejection from the school you sure u were going to get in minutes before the biggest interview of the cycle... :(
Just more reason to kill that interview and prove that other school wrong!

Don't let it phase you girl! You got this!
bee0f2edd50d39c17a2227d7b0e1891547238f65f66137c1388c7895951538f5.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Just more reason to kill that interview and prove that other school wrong!
Thanks! ! Hopefully I did well. The interview today was my top choice I just felt bad about that rejection because i was a local and match the patient population of the school to a tee. But life goes on and I'm going to be a doctor anyway .thanks for the support !!!

What's good mi gente, so at the point in the cycle where I'm pretty much waiting to hear back from a couple of schools for decisions. I want to send updates, but I have never done so before, and don't really know the protocol or structure of an update letter. If anyone here has tips or know the general structure template of it, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!

What's good mi gente, so at the point in the cycle where I'm pretty much waiting to hear back from a couple of schools for decisions. I want to send updates, but I have never done so before, and don't really know the protocol or structure of an update letter. If anyone here has tips or know the general structure template of it, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!

I didn't follow a protocol, I just wrote a summary of what I have been doing since submitting my application and I didn't use a formal letter format. You could either write a paragraph or use bullet points.

This is the format I used:

Applicant Name: INSERT
AAMC ID: INSERT

RE: Application Update
FULL DATE

P1. INTRO, FEW SENTENCES THAT TELL WHY YOU ARE WRITING / THANK THEM FOR INTERVIEW IF YOU HAD ONE THERE
P2, P3, ETC. SUMMARIZE EACH UPDATE, BUT ADD DETAIL WHERE NECESSARY
P.4 BRIEF STATEMENT OF INTEREST. ("I like this school because of X...)
P. 5 THANK THEM FOR REVIEWING THIS LETTER AND YOUR APP

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME (include signature if you want)

Keep the entire letter to 1 page or less.

Also, has any URM here had any luck with Quinnipiac or Penn State? I've been complete at each for 5+ months with complete silence...

This is the format I used:

Applicant Name: INSERT
AAMC ID: INSERT

RE: Application Update
FULL DATE

P1. INTRO, FEW SENTENCES THAT TELL WHY YOU ARE WRITING / THANK THEM FOR INTERVIEW IF YOU HAD ONE THERE
P2, P3, ETC. SUMMARIZE EACH UPDATE, BUT ADD DETAIL WHERE NECESSARY
P.4 BRIEF STATEMENT OF INTEREST. ("I like this school because of X...)
P. 5 THANK THEM FOR REVIEWING THIS LETTER AND YOUR APP

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME (include signature if you want)

Keep the entire letter to 1 page or less.

I didn't follow a protocol, I just wrote a summary of what I have been doing since submitting my application and I didn't use a formal letter format. You could either write a paragraph or use bullet points.

Thank you guys! this is really helpful.

Also, has any URM here had any luck with Quinnipiac or Penn State? I've been complete at each for 5+ months with complete silence...
I interviewed at Quinnipiac this month and was accepted a week later-- I think they interview through March so don't give up! :)

EDIT: Also, I was complete in early August/waited 4-5 months before hearing from them. I'm rooting for you!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed at Quinnipiac this month and was accepted a week later-- I think they interview through March so don't give up! :)

EDIT: Also, I was complete in early August/waited 4-5 months before hearing from them. I'm rooting for you!!
Thanks! The wait is killer, but it'll be worth in the end I know :)

Penn state was my first interview. I love everything about the school other than the location! Hit me up if you want a run down of the day or the impression I got from the school of the type of student they are looking for .

How are you all deciding on which school to attend? What are the most important factors that you all are considering when making your decisions?

How are you all deciding on which school to attend? What are the most important factors that you all are considering when making your decisions?

1.where I feel I would be most happy (mostly a gut call but my gut never failed me yet )
2.location (close to NYC)
3.Money /cost
4.commitment to helping the underserved and people of color and promotingdiversity as a whole
5.the amount of hand holding/nurturing vibe of the school. I love a very close nit campus in which the faculty and students have a good relationship and faculty go above and beyond to help their students.
6.pass/fail

7. Chicks(lolz jk)
:stop::brb::lol:

Lol, I feel like that's more on my parents' list than mine (guys for me, but you get the point)...

As for me, I think right now my list is (not necessarily in order):
1. Where I liked and felt a great fit during my interview.
2. Where I feel like I'll get the best medical training.
3. Finances (scholarships, etc.)
4. Distance from family (I can talk to my family from anywhere, so not super important to me).

I'm stuck between choosing somewhere closer and about $30,000 in tuition cheaper vs more expensive, nicer facilities but able to nurture me more as a black man(not hbcu). Similar curriculum so education really isn't a factor
I would choose the 30,000 cheaper and closer to home.

I'm stuck between choosing somewhere closer and about $30,000 in tuition cheaper vs more expensive, nicer facilities but able to nurture me more as a black man(not hbcu). Similar curriculum so education really isn't a factor
What do you mean by "nurture"? If you like that school A LOT more than the cheaper school then it's a good decision. If it's close to a 50-50 I'd go with the cheaper one.

We already kinda talked about this but I like lists so here is my tentative ranking:

1.) Happiness. Where I felt the most at ease and where I think I could strive the most. Small class size is a plus
2.) Institutional track record of placing students in competitive specialties in East coast/NE and California. Gunners gonna gun lmao
3.) strength of clinical sites and affiliates
4.) Financial package
5.) ~Social scene/Dating options bc I can't be tinderella for much long lmao jk but like lowkey not kidding at all :angelic:

Reactions: 4 users
I think I'm just about decided on where I want to go. Mostly because the school really surprised me. Supportive staff. Diverse student population. Great community involvement and they have a large population of students going into the military so they provide a lot of support for those students(I'm doing HPSP)

We already kinda talked about this but I like lists so here is my tentative ranking:

1.) Happiness. Where I felt the most at ease and where I think I could strive the most. Small class size is a plus
2.) Institutional track record of placing students in competitive specialties in East coast/NE and California. Gunners gonna gun lmao
3.) strength of clinical sites and affiliates
4.) Financial package
5.) ~Social scene/Dating options bc I can't be tinderella for much long lmao jk but like lowkey not kidding at all :angelic:

Lmao @ #5

But for real those are great factors to consider. I see you trying to go to MGH for residency. I'm having trouble with number one. Mainly because of parental influence.

For me dating scene/social life is dependent on location or am I looking at this wrong?

Looks like sorrow is settling in for the NYU kids that haven't gotten calls back at the NYU school thread. And almost like clockwork, the discussion turns to those "lucky URM" check it out if you want to see how in the face of desperation, fingers start being pointed at URMs smh

Reactions: 10 users