**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like sorrow is settling in for the NYU kids that haven't gotten calls back at the NYU school thread. And almost like clockwork, the discussion turns to those "lucky URM" check it out if you want to see how in the face of desperation, fingers start being pointed at URMs smh

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
@Afropolitan i totally get the parental influence thing, but it is your life. You have to live it for you. I am blessed to have only mild to moderate tiger parents, but I def feel for you/the pressure.

And I feel like, unless you have a very specific type (I.e. Silicone Valley girl (oh hey username) which means you NEED to be in L.A) then you could have an array of choices anywhere. Maybe I'm too optimistic though lol

Looks like sorrow is settling in for the NYU kids that haven't gotten calls back at the NYU school thread. And almost like clockwork, the discussion turns to those "lucky URM" check it out if you want to see how in the face of desperation, fingers start being pointed at URMs smh
ITs that time in the cycle when people dont get their way and looks for a OTHER to blame for their short coming.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I just read that load of trash. So sad. Let's play some violins.

ImageUploadedBySDN1485490105.215740.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
@Afropolitan i totally get the parental influence thing, but it is your life. You have to live it for you. I am blessed to have only mild to moderate tiger parents, but I def feel for you/the pressure.

And I feel like, unless you have a very specific type (I.e. Silicone Valley girl (oh hey username) which means you NEED to be in L.A) then you could have an array of choices anywhere. Maybe I'm too optimistic though lol

Very true. I keep telling myself to do what's best for me, but they keep inserting their opinions. After second look I'll just choose and call it a day.

So does this mean you're looking to date them "up north rural black folk?" JK, but I get what you mean lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Very true. I keep telling myself to do what's best for me, but they keep inserting their opinions. After second look I'll just choose and call it a day.

So does this mean you're looking to date them "up north rural black folk?" JK, but I get what you mean lol.

LMAOOOOO "rural black folk" sounds like an oxymoron but I digress :laugh:

I should not have gone to that NYU thread... I think I popped a blood vessel rolling my eyes hella hard.

Reactions: 12 users
We already kinda talked about this but I like lists so here is my tentative ranking:

1.) Happiness. Where I felt the most at ease and where I think I could strive the most. Small class size is a plus
2.) Institutional track record of placing students in competitive specialties in East coast/NE and California. Gunners gonna gun lmao
3.) strength of clinical sites and affiliates
4.) Financial package
5.) ~Social scene/Dating options bc I can't be tinderella for much long lmao jk but like lowkey not kidding at all :angelic:
Tinderella....for the win.

I just wanted to say congrats to all of you!!!! You guys have gotten into so many amazing schools, I like to read through this thread on and off even though I'm not applying yet because it's just truly so motivating to see everyone here doing so well :)

I go to a school with quite a few minorities and I don't personally know a single one who has achieved anywhere near what you all have done. It's probably just my school, but most minorities at my school get weeded out by pre-req's, very few actually take the MCAT and most end up not doing well the first time and giving up, the very few that I do know who are still trying to apply have such incredibly low standards :( they just aim for the absolute bare minimum when it comes to their grades and volunteering activities and I really hate that mentality.

So I just wanted to say thank you, because all of you are rockstars and I'm so proud of you guys :D

Reactions: 11 users
I just wanted to say congrats to all of you!!!! You guys have gotten into so many amazing schools, I like to read through this thread on and off even though I'm not applying yet because it's just truly so motivating to see everyone here doing so well :)

I go to a school with quite a few minorities and I don't personally know a single one who has achieved anywhere near what you all have done. It's probably just my school, but most minorities at my school get weeded out by pre-req's, very few actually take the MCAT and most end up not doing well the first time and giving up, the very few that I do know who are still trying to apply have such incredibly low standards :( they just aim for the absolute bare minimum when it comes to their grades and volunteering activities and I really hate that mentality.

So I just wanted to say thank you, because all of you are rockstars and I'm so proud of you guys :D

Thank you! Don't let the actions of others, especially other minorities discourage you. I was the only URM in all my science classes all 4 years and the first to be accepted to med school in over 10 years according to my professors. Just keep in mind that you are competing with some of the brightest minds for acceptances and let the paranoia/hunger of wanting to be good enough motivate you.

Good luck!
Just to echo what was said, don't let other minorities determine your story. I actually go to a similar school as @Lollygag and I know only one other minority who has been accepted to med school. I always see this as an opportunity to push that ceiling (sometimes a self-imposed one) a little higher and motivate others to get to that level of excellence. Someone has to be a pioneer, right?

Reactions: 3 users

This made my heart so warm omg

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! Don't let the actions of others, especially other minorities discourage you. I was the only URM in all my science classes all 4 years and the first to be accepted to med school in over 10 years according to my professors. Just keep in mind that you are competing with some of the brightest minds for acceptances and let the paranoia/hunger of wanting to be good enough motivate you.

Good luck!

Just to echo what was said, don't let other minorities determine your story. I actually go to a similar school as @Lollygag and I know only one other minority who has been accepted to med school. I always see this as an opportunity to push that ceiling (sometimes a self-imposed one) a little higher and motivate others to get to that level of excellence. Someone has to be a pioneer, right?

Thanks guys :) I guess the atmosphere of my school isn't as uncommon as I thought it was lol don't worry though I'm gonna keep pushing! There's definitely days where I feel very discouraged because of the atmosphere of my school but you guys are right, I just have to set standards for myself and keep working hard. I know this is what I want to do so I'll just keep working at it and I'll end up where I'm meant to be. Thank you for all your encouraging words :)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The craziest part is that there were multiple URMs (myself included) who didn't get calls/acceptances in that thread. Like really I should have posted "those damn URMs taking all the spots guys.....oh wait no I am in the same position as you without an acceptance just blacker and poorer" lol give me a break. So disgusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Full tuition and some change merit scholarship from UMD!! Omg so happy!

Reactions: 29 users
I'm honestly just waiting to OTI & Whit to hit us with the casual " oh btw just got into Harvard lol" :corny:

I'm honestly just waiting to OTI & Whit to hit us with the casual " oh btw just got into Harvard lol" :corny:

Bahaha I wish. I've already prepared my "It's okay, I'm just thankful to have had the opportunity to interview" speech in my head.

The planner in me is going crazy. I just want to know what school I am going to so I can start planning my life accordingly .

The planner in me is going crazy. I just want to know what school I am going to so I can start planning my life accordingly .
You an me both! I'm in this limbo right now of not knowing how to prepare for the coming semester, because so much is in the air right now...

Reactions: 5 users
MS2 here taking a break from the studies to congratulate those with acceptances!

More importantly, those without acceptances don't let it stoke your flame, keep at it!

@Chelsea FC love to see another New Yorker about to diversify the medical field. :hello:

Reactions: 11 users
Accepted Pitt Med!

Decisions in early for those that interviewed in this thread!

Reactions: 16 users
Accepted at Pitt Med as well! Congratulations all!

Reactions: 16 users
Congrats

Will you attend second look?

Congratulations to you too!

Yes I plan to depending on when it is. Are you going?

I need to give Pitt a second chance due to unexpected circumstances prior to and during interview day. I literally showed up and winged it.

Congratulations to you too!

Yes I plan to depending on when it is. Are you going?

I need to give Pitt a second chance due to unexpected circumstances prior to and during interview day. I literally showed up and winged it.

I will try my best to. I too need to give it a second chance. I admired a lot of things about the school, curriculum, facilities, etc. But I had a hard time feeling like I could live there. I had a bad travel experience to and from, and partially because of that I think the city itself didn't make an impression. I'd like to give it a second chance for an emotional connection.

Got dat first tier waitlist @ Pitt thooooooooo Lmao but I am SO SO SO proud & happy for my URMs who have been accepted outright. Y'all are rockstars :love::biglove:

I will try my best to. I too need to give it a second chance. I admired a lot of things about the school, curriculum, facilities, etc. But I had a hard time feeling like I could live there. I had a bad travel experience to and from, and partially because of that I think the city itself didn't make an impression. I'd like to give it a second chance for an emotional connection.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad travel experience. I guess we are in the same boat with Pitt. It's definitely a great institution and so it's hard to pass up with one not so good experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Got dat first tier waitlist @ Pitt thooooooooo Lmao but I am SO SO SO proud & happy for my URMs who have been accepted outright. Y'all are rockstars :love::biglove:

It seems like there is lots of waitlist movement. So if it's up there on your list, not over at all!

Just caught up with everything on here like always you guys are amazing and I'm happy to see us continuing to stick together. Congrats everyone on the Pitt acceptances and scholarships and the lists just go on and on.

Once we all decide where we're goin we need to have some sort of Internet champagne toast or something, knowing where I'll be next year would be such a relief, congrats friends!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users