-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**
Started by WhittyPsyche
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sigh none of my acceptances will tell me my financial package until after may 1 . So they all want me to commit to a particular school first which is stupid because money is such a important deciding factor
That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. It seemed to me that a lot of schools are trying to get at least preliminary packages before the April 30th deadline. Have you reached out to them expressing this? Or is this just their general timeline?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last edited:
7
720606
Sigh none of my acceptances will tell me my financial package until after may 1 . So they all want me to commit to a particular school first which is stupid because money is such a important deciding factor
I second @WhittyPsyche. Email them expressing the fact that an essential part of your decision is financial.That's the biggest los of crap I've ever heard. It seemed to me that a lot of schools are trying to get at least preliminary packages before the April 30th deadline. Have you reached out to them expressing this? Or is this just their general timeline?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. It seemed to me that a lot of schools are trying to get at least preliminary packages before the April 30th deadline. Have you reached out to them expressing this? Or is this just their general timeline?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I have been reaching out to them, they all said they would give me a ballpark estimate of the aid I would be receiving so thats something . I guess I just wanted to have more info like a concrete number to work with and not some estimateI second @WhittyPsyche. Email them expressing the fact that an essential part of your decision is financial.
I have been reaching out to them, they all said they would give me a ballpark estimate of the aid I would be receiving so thats something . I guess I just wanted to have more info like a concrete number to work with and not some estimate
Usually the ball park is actually very detailed. They can't actually called it an official financial offer until they use their budget accordingly to the dollar sign. Before that, they give you a break down of the federal loans/grants available with the max cap for each, and if applicable, the institutional level loans/grants. And then give you the amount that is expected to be out of pocket.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sounds great!Usually the ball park is actually very detailed. They can't actually called it an official financial offer until they use their budget accordingly to the dollar sign. Before that, they give you a break down of the federal loans/grants available with the max cap for each, and if applicable, the institutional level loans/grants. And then give you the amount that is expected to be out of pocket.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wtf that's terrible, did you contact each school directly, or did they tell approach you? I haven't heard anything regarding fin aid from my acceptances, I'm curious how this process worksSigh none of my acceptances will tell me my financial package until after may 1 . So they all want me to commit to a particular school first which is stupid because money is such a important deciding factor
Ahh I guess I skipped this answer sorry!I have been reaching out to them, they all said they would give me a ballpark estimate of the aid I would be receiving so thats something . I guess I just wanted to have more info like a concrete number to work with and not some estimate
Do any of you ever kinda worry about feeling out of place in med school as a URM? I'm not really sure why this is even remotely a concern since I went to a very diverse HS and college but it has been in the back of my mind for a while.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Do any of you ever kinda worry about feeling out of place in med school as a URM? I'm not really sure why this is even remotely a concern since I went to a very diverse HS and college but it has been in the back of my mind for a while.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah. Especially since I was the only Latino male at my interviews and the only one I could see on-campus while doing the tours (at UCF and FAU).
Well, I wouldn't say that I worry about how I will be treated IF and when I'm a student. I'm just worried that being a URM doesn't really make a difference to admissions committees and they just say it does so that it meets whatever image of diversity they are trying to portray.
Do any of you ever kinda worry about feeling out of place in med school as a URM? I'm not really sure why this is even remotely a concern since I went to a very diverse HS and college but it has been in the back of my mind for a while.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
A little bit. I think I'm more concerned about not being able to realllyyyyyyy shoot the shiznit with people who aren't URM, you know? Like we all know how to be professional, and put on our best "Hi, I'm ____, soon to be medical school matriculant, blah blah" face. But what about the face that listens to trap music, or needs to talk about curly hair products, or needs to vent about the social justice climate..? I'm just a teensy concerned I won't be able to really let my hair down.
A little bit. I think I'm more concerned about not being able to realllyyyyyyy shoot the shiznit with people who aren't URM, you know? Like we all know how to be professional, and put on our best "Hi, I'm ____, soon to be medical school matriculant, blah blah" face. But what about the face that listens to trap music, or needs to talk about curly hair products, or needs to vent about the social justice climate..? I'm just a teensy concerned I won't be able to really let my hair down.
THIS! Sums it all up perfectly. I just don't want to feel weird and hope I can make a good connection with people to have a genuine support system going.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
soooooo hype right now, I just got into the 4 year MD/MPH program at University of Miami Miller SOM which is one of my top choices and close to my significant other and just so many other good things. Ah!!
Welcome to the fold! PM me if you've committed.
A little bit. I think I'm more concerned about not being able to realllyyyyyyy shoot the shiznit with people who aren't URM, you know? Like we all know how to be professional, and put on our best "Hi, I'm ____, soon to be medical school matriculant, blah blah" face. But what about the face that listens to trap music, or needs to talk about curly hair products, or needs to vent about the social justice climate..? I'm just a teensy concerned I won't be able to really let my hair down.
@fizzle_22
it really depends on you. I'm kind of dealing with the same thing. I comfortably went to an HBCU for undergad. Like SValley said, I can put on my "face" and I don't want to say that I'm necessarily "too black" but the culture is definitely different. The jokes are different, the nuances are different, the vibe is just different. I'm cool with all of my classmates but sometimes it does feel like there's a barrier that's up; as if they don't know how to approach me. I had one chick tell me straight up that I was intimidating. I have a few riders that make my experience tolerable and my school is pretty diverse relatively speaking but it's really just the nature of the beast in the professional world. I assume you learn to cope haha.
With all of that being said, don't limit your social experience with your class because you never know who you'll vibe with. You'll eventually find your few that you're really cool with despite differing backgrounds; the others, don't sweat it so much. Keep it cordial (pretty much hi and bye lol); most of these folks you won't see much at all past your first two years. Also important, don't neglect your non-med friends and your family. They'll keep you grounded.
Also seek out your school's chapter of Student National Medical Association (SNMA) - tends to draw the URMs together at most schools - and become familiar with your diversity office.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Right thooo, like I worry I won't have anyone to bump 21 savage to with 🙁
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Get used to it.... statistically speaking there are not a lot of us. But with that being said it presents an opportunity for us to be role models and show people that URMs belong in medical school and clinics everywhere. I'll get off this soapbox now.Do any of you ever kinda worry about feeling out of place in med school as a URM? I'm not really sure why this is even remotely a concern since I went to a very diverse HS and college but it has been in the back of my mind for a while.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just accepted to my #1. UCSF-Berkeley JMP!
Cried uncontrollably lord Jesus. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Cried uncontrollably lord Jesus. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats again!! 😍Just accepted to my #1. UCSF-Berkeley JMP!
Cried uncontrollably lord Jesus. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats, stud! 😎Just accepted to my #1. UCSF-Berkeley JMP!
Cried uncontrollably lord Jesus. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just accepted to my #1. UCSF-Berkeley JMP!
Cried uncontrollably lord Jesus. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
7
720606
Congratulations!!!Just accepted to my #1. UCSF-Berkeley JMP!
Cried uncontrollably lord Jesus. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Any of you guys/gals have MD apps ?? Mind pm-ing me the link to it so I can have a good read tonight
Any of you guys/gals have MD apps ?? Mind pm-ing me the link to it so I can have a good read tonight
If you get on the website version you will see most of ours. A lot of people here have theirs linked on the profile.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks guys I am going to do some harmless creeping and maybe create one while im at it. For some strange stupid reason I share in all of your success and its nice to sit and look at it all .If you get on the website version you will see most of ours. A lot of people here have theirs linked on the profile.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Remember when you didn't think you would be accepted? Lol congratulations!Just accepted to my #1. UCSF-Berkeley JMP!
Cried uncontrollably lord Jesus. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Remember when you didn't think you would be accepted? Lol congratulations!
Lol right? I interviewed two weeks ago and I feel like I've went through every stream of emotions in that short wait. So glad to be out of that misery lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Did they give you some of that sweet financial aid?Lol right? I interviewed two weeks ago and I feel like I've went through every stream of emotions in that short wait. So glad to be out of that misery lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Did they give you some of that sweet financial aid?
They haven't released that yet. It says they determine individual and the class together I guess to make sure they can give everyone something. With the additional degree I can see how that makes sense.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck!They haven't released that yet. It says they determine individual and the class together I guess to make sure they can give everyone something. With the additional degree I can see how that makes sense.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's so cool to see you all excel. I was in your shoes a year ago (I had just heard back Feb 3rd). When you get out to a year from now, you'll look back in awe at how much your life has changed in a year's time haha.
I hope that you guys stay relatively involved with the site when you start medical school.
For those awaiting to hear back, don't lose hope. Half of my classmates didn't hear back until March, almost April so there's still time. With that being said, embrace the idea of a plan B; start looking at ways to improve you application. Set yourself up for success so you can reach your goals as quickly and as assuredly as possible. Also don't be afraid to find passion in another profession. Find what makes you happy; it doesn't have to be becoming a doctor.
I hope that you guys stay relatively involved with the site when you start medical school.
For those awaiting to hear back, don't lose hope. Half of my classmates didn't hear back until March, almost April so there's still time. With that being said, embrace the idea of a plan B; start looking at ways to improve you application. Set yourself up for success so you can reach your goals as quickly and as assuredly as possible. Also don't be afraid to find passion in another profession. Find what makes you happy; it doesn't have to be becoming a doctor.
Last edited:
Yeah! I'm planning on going to the Columbus show!
Yeah! I'm planning on going to the Columbus show!
Ayyyyye I'm tying to go in Atlanta
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's amazing!!Just accepted to my #1. UCSF-Berkeley JMP!
Cried uncontrollably lord Jesus. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats on getting into your #1!
7
720606
Accepted to Columbia![]()
Congratulationssssss! Amazing!! [emoji323][emoji322][emoji323][emoji322]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats!!!!!Accepted to Columbia![]()

So very happy for you! 😍Accepted to Columbia![]()
Great Job!!!!! I love how bumping this thread isAccepted to Columbia![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much Whitty!!!!
@Afropolitan WHERE YOU AT PLEIGHBOY?!??? CONGRATS ON THE BLUE 😍![]()
I'm right heeerreeee. I was in the middle of recruiting a patient for a study, but 🙂
!!!! Thank you!!!!@Afropolitan WHERE YOU AT PLEIGHBOY?!??? CONGRATS ON THE BLUE 😍![]()
Thank you so much Whitty!!!!
I'm right heeerreeee. I was in the middle of recruiting a patient for a study, but 🙂!!!! Thank you!!!!
I'm lost. Fill me in guys I wanna celebrate as well
I'm lost. Fill me in guys I wanna celebrate as well
I got accepted to Michigan Med!
I got accepted to Michigan Med!
Like seriouslyyyyy. Winnnnning! So happy for you!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 338
- Replies
- 73
- Views
- 22K

