**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just caught up with everything on here like always you guys are amazing and I'm happy to see us continuing to stick together. Congrats everyone on the Pitt acceptances and scholarships and the lists just go on and on.

Once we all decide where we're goin we need to have some sort of Internet champagne toast or something, knowing where I'll be next year would be such a relief, congrats friends!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
Hey where at the same interview together. But they are so many URM students I can't pin point who you are!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just caught up with everything on here like always you guys are amazing and I'm happy to see us continuing to stick together. Congrats everyone on the Pitt acceptances and scholarships and the lists just go on and on.

Once we all decide where we're goin we need to have some sort of Internet champagne toast or something, knowing where I'll be next year would be such a relief, congrats friends!

YASSSS internet champagne toast lmao we'll count down and everything. When we're all settled and playing with monopoly loan money, I'm soooooo down for a meet up.

Hey where at the same interview together. But they are so many URM students I can't pin point who you are!

My boys. Killing it. Enjoy your interview day :biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I think there was a misunderstanding I'm on Feb 7th at Tufts homie

Man u got me investigating all the URM trying to figure you who you were lolz. Man tufts blew me away with 8 URMS at our interview day. It's normally me and one person

Reactions: 4 users
Lol sorry for the suspense. YESS I DID!! To Texas Tech!!!
Heeelllll yyeeeaahhhh!!!! I was getting tired of all the AMCAS action on this thread. I was like oh y'all got another acceptance/waitlist? Well guess what I changed my oil yesterday. Good job! Lubbock or El Paso?

The planner in me is going crazy. I just want to know what school I am going to so I can start planning my life accordingly .
+2 I am also going crazy because of the uncertainty, would really appreciate if schools could make up their minds ASAP so that I could have a glimpse of what it's going to be with me and my little family for the next four years!

Reactions: 5 users
+2 I am also going crazy because of the uncertainty, would really appreciate if schools could make up their minds ASAP so that I could have a glimpse of what it's going to be with me and my little family for the next four years!
Honestly though...

Exactly this. I will have to figure out which neighborhood and school district for two little ones. Especially many cities now operate on lottery systems, i may not get them enrolled where I would like them. I really wish it was all done already. Preparing for the first year, wherever I go, being very hectic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly this. I will have to figure out which neighborhood and school district for two little ones. Especially many cities now operate on lottery systems, i may not get them enrolled where I would like them. I really wish it was all done already. Preparing for the first year, wherever I go, being very hectic.

And this is why I never complain.... I'm worried about a pet deposit. Does that count?

^ +1 on not complaining. So much respect for you mommas and poppas that have so much more at stake than a simple move to a different city

I think everyone in here is great but anytime I remember that @WhittyPsyche is a mom i always smile and think to myself "super mom". You one impressive lady!

I plan on taking the MCAT in May. Anyone have any advice on what books to study?

Specifically prep books for content review?

I plan on taking the MCAT in May. Anyone have any advice on what books to study?

This question is best to be posted in the MCAT subforum

Feel free to PM me with specfic questions, I got you

So I have a question for you all. I'm meeting with the office of diversity one of my front runners while I'm in the area scoping out apartments. I want to ask them about what I guess would be the "Racial Climate" at their school (They only had 3 AA students in last year's 175 ish person class and 11 before that...). It's in Ohio, where I'm from, and I'm very aware of how certain parts of Ohio are still stuck in the 1800s. They have a very diverse faculty, which was promising, and the students seemed very welcoming at interview day. I'm just wondering how to approach this in a tactful way without coming off as rude or offensive. I'm sure that we're all in a similar boat considering the low minority presence in the medical field.

As always, keep grinding everyone! It's always great to get on here and see so many of us prospering!

So I have a question for you all. I'm meeting with the office of diversity one of my front runners while I'm in the area scoping out apartments. I want to ask them about what I guess would be the "Racial Climate" at their school (They only had 3 AA students in last year's 175 ish person class and 11 before that...). It's in Ohio, where I'm from, and I'm very aware of how certain parts of Ohio are still stuck in the 1800s. They have a very diverse faculty, which was promising, and the students seemed very welcoming at interview day. I'm just wondering how to approach this in a tactful way without coming off as rude or offensive. I'm sure that we're all in a similar boat considering the low minority presence in the medical field.

As always, keep grinding everyone! It's always great to get on here and see so many of us prospering!

Since it seems they are open to discussing diversity, that can sort of be your lead. You can ask about the diversity of the community, and their response/attitudes to the medical students. Or ask about what difficulties minority students specifically have had while transitioning to that school.
I've once asked if minority students have had any trouble serving the community the school was in and since it's the diversity office you'll be speaking to, usually they're already aware of the apprehensions minority students may have in certain areas so they're quite responsive and upfront!
I hope that helped!

Since it seems they are open to discussing diversity, that can sort of be your lead. You can ask about the diversity of the community, and their response/attitudes to the medical students. Or ask about what difficulties minority students specifically have had while transitioning to that school.
I've once asked if minority students have had any trouble serving the community the school was in and since it's the diversity office you'll be speaking to, usually they're already aware of the apprehensions minority students may have in certain areas so they're quite responsive and upfront!
I hope that helped!
That definitely helped! Thanks so much for your input!

Honestly, I have been frank with questions like these. I would probably ask that exact question, what is the racial climate like?

Also I've asked:
- What is the perceived level of comfort for minorities students with their classmates? Do they generally feel support and welcomed among their peers and in the broader community as a whole?
-Has there been any issues in the past with students being able to acclimate to the school/community?
-In your opinion, what's the level of tolerance, progressiveness, openness to racial, cultural, religious and sexual orientation differences?

I've talked to students that work with diversity office and I generally ask them how do feel, what do they think their classmates think, if they believe their classmates value the diversity in experience they bring etc etc.

Reactions: 4 users
After applying, getting rejected, unrejected, and interviewed, I thank God I can finally say I got accepted to Mayo Clinic!

Reactions: 19 users
After applying, getting rejected, unrejected, and interviewed, I thank God I can finally say I got accepted to Mayo Clinic!
That's amazing, congratulations!!! :love:

Reactions: 1 user

Wow only you can accomplish such a feat, congrats!

Yo. You MUST have like cheat codes or something

Reactions: 3 users
CONGRATS OTI!!! That's my dream school and I'm so happy that you got in. Even if you don't end up going there, you will be successful wherever you go :)

Reactions: 2 users

Congratulations! You got some serious options. Stay Blessed!

BABE. This is EVERYTHING. I am so freaking proud of you, you lil star :kiss::love::highfive:

When I grow up I wanna be just like you

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my last few IIs. I am officially done with the interview season! Feels like such a relief, seriously.

Reactions: 12 users
lol I love watching people humblebrag/complain in the same post on the school-specific forum... "I just got rejected pre-II from this school but I interviewed at top 10s, so surprised this happened" , like they're entitled to something? Nah.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 users
oh I'm so sad, that picture is supposed to be salt bae and it doesn't work :cryi:

lol I love watching people humblebrag/complain in the same post on the school-specific forum... "I just got rejected pre-II from this school but I interviewed at top 10s, so surprised this happened" , like they're entitled to something? Nah.

giphy.gif

Lol picture popped up when I quoted you- weird.

But yes, I have seen so much of this! It's like they almost want to undermine the worth of the acceptance for others at that specific school. "Cool you guys got accepted and I didn't, but I have better acceptances anyway! *sticks tongue out*"

Geffen scholarship for Drew/UCLA. Commence vomiting, I'm literally shaking at my desk. Lol good thing no one is in the office today!

Reactions: 18 users
Geffen scholarship for Drew/UCLA. Commence vomiting, I'm literally shaking at my desk. Lol good thing no one is in the office today!

THAT'S AMAZING! :biglove:Congrats!!!