2017-2018 Cycle? --> Good luck 2016 cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marqoo10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First of all good luck on everyone's application this year. I would like to start to give a little background of myself and some questions I have.

I just started my senior year but I am doing an internship abroad for a whole year. Basically, I am working with prevention schizophrenia on a hospital in Spain. The only thing that I am worried about is TIME!! I have some problems and I need some advice. So all I would like to hear people's advice.

1. I am will not be home until early August 2017. I have not taken the DAT and I don't know what to do. When should I take the DAT? I don't think there is a way to take it abroad. Maybe I can study but.. $$

2. This is tied to my first question - I am expected to graduate May 2017. If I don't make the application timeline (I basically have one chance at the DAT until early September; which is when I suppose I should submit my application). What should I do? I don't want to spend a year without school.

3. My GPA will be roughly 3.0 & 3.1 overall. I know this is kinda low; But I am taking courses while abroad to boost it up - I hope to get an interview. Any suggestions about this?

4. I have roughly 100 hours of shadowing - plan to do a little more when I go back to the states.

5. Another problem I have is my letters. Before leaving the states the dentist I was shadowing told me he would take care of my rec. letter. But since I am abroad it makes it a little harder to get the other three recommendation letters that I need form other professors. Maybe I can ask them by email but I think it might be unprofessional.

Maybe I am screwed. I will have two wait until August 2018 to apply and spend a year without school. But I do not want to be negative; I would love people's input.

Thank you for your time y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

Either you have to kill your DAT (~23+) or maybe you can do a postbacc after you graduate to boost your stats a bit more. You really need to get your other letters and work on your PS too. It's a long road but if you're dilligent Ik you can get it done.

Postbacc is a must. You can do this informally, formally, or hit up special masters programs. I personally would advise AGAINST the former two and proceed with the latter.