[2017-2018] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surely

MD Class of 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Per SDN tradition, here is this year's Rank Order List (ROL) thread. There are a number of ways in which you may participate:
  1. By using your SDN account and directly replying to this thread
  2. By using your SDN account to private message (PM) @surely . Your ROL will be posted anonymously.
  3. By using the anonymous Google Form created for this thread. No SDN or email account required.
Format:
  • EM applicants have a tough time gauging how competitive they are. The more information this year's applicants provide when posting their ROL, the better idea future applicants have of their chances. Ideally, approximate Step scores, EM rotation grades, AOA status, SVI score (though the SVI consensus seems to be "who cares"), etc. It especially helps if you include the names of places you turned down interviews from and the places who rejected/silent rejected you. If you don't feel comfortable providing some of this information, it's fine, but any details are appreciated. If you're reading this, chances are you benefited in some way from the information on SDN from previous years, and now is your chance to pay it forward. If you prefer to post that information after Match Day, you can always send the information to me and I'll edit the post, or you can quote the post and add it yourself.
  • Include a description of your thinking process/priorities you considered to create your rank order list (i.e., 3- vs. 4-year program, community vs. county, location, reputation, residents/faculty, work hours, etc.). This is tremendously important for future applicants as they are trying to determine which programs they are applying to.
  • List the programs you are ranking in their respective numerical order, providing a brief summary of cons/pros you considered for each
  • Please include shift length and number of shifts per month. Sadly, not many people posted that info on the IV Impressions spreadsheet, and that's one of the most useful pieces of information for next year's applicants.

Best of luck to everyone, and happy New Year! It's been a long road, but 2018 is the year we've been waiting all this time for.

Helpful links:

Ideal submission example from last year's thread:

Posted anonymously via Google Form.
Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 250, Step 2: 272
EM rotations: H/H
Medical school region: West Coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Step scores, clinical grades (one HP 3rd year, the rest H's), strong SLOE from a respected program

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL:
1. Perceived fit with residents & faculty
2. Job prospects - breadth & depth of alumni network
3. Breadth of clinical experience - academic, county, community
4. Location
5. Critical care prospects - EM/CCM faculty, fellowship placement of recent grads

Of note: 1 = 2, > 3 >> 4 or 5. We make so many arbitrary distinctions in this process, based on such small snapshots we experience from each program, going into it with concrete criteria for judging programs can be very helpful. I want an academic experience where I can carve out a niche, with the possibility of doing whatever (fellowship, academic or good community gig), wherever, after I graduate.

1) Denver Health
Pros - felt very at home at the resident dinner and enjoyed the faculty I met, the breadth of clinical experiences is excellent with DH covering the county and UC covering the academic side, I really vibe with the "learn by experience/trial by fire" attitude, strong history and thus a huge alumni network (especially in the west), the program has an attitude of constant improvement, strong commitment to graduated responsibility, Denver has all the outdoor opportunities I'm into on the weekends, several EMCCM faculty on staff, although some might count the medicine floor month as a big downer, it's very useful to have an IM month already in place without taking out any elective time (since it's part of the ABIM CCM fellowship prereqs), recently has placed a few residents in fellowship programs I'm very interested in, one of the few places where I already have friends in the area

Cons - not as much elective time as some of the other 4 years

2) Cincinnati
Pros - fit very well with the faculty and residents, surprisingly diverse clinical settings (UC serves as a county type population, with an academic flair), department chair is an integral piece of the department and not a distant admin figure, unparalleled financial resources, room to carve out a CCM track with interest from new PD, several EMCCM faculty, PD transition will allow Stettler more time to work clinically (residents I spoke to were stoked about this prospect), ownership of the SRU in third year, graduated responsibility, Air Care shifts allow for excellent autonomy in critical care situations early in your training, oldest program in the country = huge alumni network replete with PD's/chairs/faculty in every geographic region, more elective time (6.5 mo) than any other program, program-wide commitment to continual improvement, COL in Cincinnati is a big improvement from my current spot and the recreational opportunities are not as bad as I initially thought

Cons - even being optimistic, Cinci as a city is not great, EM is the big dawg in the hospital, the resident population is not as diverse as some of the other programs I visited

3) Stanford
Pros - fit really well with the faculty and residents, probably the most welcoming interview experience I had, great academic support for research, critical care track through pathway programs, strong EMCCM faculty on staff, good diversity of clinical experience with SC Valley giving a high volume experience, would be able to live near friends, the bay is dope (rich of social opportunities), strong off service rotations, true commitment to resident wellness rather than bull**** lip service of some other programs, shiny new ED coming soon, for what that's worth.

Cons - the bay is expensive AF (COL, traffic), sites are far apart, newer program, although this could be overcome by the power of the name for some

4) Brown
Pros: total dark horse for me, felt very at home at the interview dinner, excellent diversity of faculty (in both background and medical interests), surprisingly large catchment with the volume per resident to match, strong diversity of sites without long commutes, graduated responsibility, critical care alley run by PGY2/3, awesome PD who is committed to her residents beyond the hospital, strong critical care experience, new EMCCM faculty, many residents involved in leadership of national organizations with lots of support from admin, improved US program with frequent reviews on Qpath, a lot of interesting resources (ED specific MRI, cath lab in ED, etc.), Newport ED rotation sounds dope, good amount of NIH money

Cons: Providence is not my jam

5) Indiana
Pros - awesome amount of critical care time for a 3 year, peds experience, diversity of clinical experiences, strong history and thus a huge alumni network, solid CCM faculty, academic track with CCM focus, chill residents overall, impressed with the size and diversity of faculty, very relatable PD, great new county hospital (gotta admit, I loved the roof top garden), all sites are high volume, large program for a 3 year (60 residents), strong emphasis on residents' ownership of the program

Cons - didn't quite fit, less time for ABIM prereqs if that's the way I wanted to go, Indy is less than ideal as a location for my interests

6) Wash U
Pros - strong critical care curriculum, great research opportunities (especially in critical care), several EMCCM faculty in the program and have fellowships in ABA/ABEM and ABIM/ABEM tracks, good patient mix of the affluent & inner city, supportive ancillary staff per the residents, ambitious program from the top down, cheap COL in STL, accessible hospital in a much nicer neighborhood than I expected, I appreciated the focus on training residents to teach, PD was very relatable, interested in innovation and a total badass; seemed genuinely interested in recruiting like-minded individuals to the program, strength of off-service rotations was a theme of the interview day.

Cons - less established program and thus smaller alumni network than others on my list, slightly worried about the status of EM at the institution (a division as of 2016), and getting pushed aside on off-service months, some suggestion at the interview that the residents are work averse, kind of luke-warm on faculty I met, limited community exposure, EM is a division (didn't delve into this on interview day).

7) U Michigan
Pros - UM may be THE place for EMCCM and the prospect of rotating through EC3 is enticing, plenty of EMCCM faculty and professional development tracks would be great prep for fellowship, in house ABA and ABIM pathway fellowships, huge amount of research opportunities, excellent off-service rotations, diverse experience with Flint/UM/Joe's, apparently great access to food at Joe's even during off site months, 4 weeks vacation sounds nice

Cons - Ann Arbor is not an ideal locale socially or topographically, I didn't quite fit with the residents and faculty as much as I wanted to, EM does not own airway at all times at all sites, I'm slightly worried that UM may be a bit too academic (but lots of time at SJMH could compensate for this).

8) MGH/BWH (HAEMR)
Pros - undeniable academic power, strong off service rotations, potentially learning from some of the most accomplished academic clinicians around, residents were surprisingly pretty chill, Boston was a bustling & interesting city, many opportunities for "something else", Brigham has a strong CCM fellowship

Cons - focus on extra stuff seems to be the main focus rather than training (as the PD put it) "badass docs", Boston (COL), exposure to community is limited, peds is done in blocks, the feel of MGH was very strange for me - the hospital is like a massive, impersonal machine, with a bunch of solo services, the fourth year allows for more time to take advantage of the "something else" activities but doesn't add much clinically .

9) University of Washington
Pros - Great diversity of clinical experience with maybe the best balance of county/academic/community of any program I went to, great CCM fellowship that is friendly to EM-trained folks, EMCCM faculty on staff, I did not expect to love Seattle as much as I did but am stoked on the city, love Harborview and their mission as an institution, strong critical care curriculum, faculty are from all over the country in terms of residency training, PD is one of the friendliest around.

Cons - newer program with a less established presence in the hospital, remains a division as of 2016 with several quirks (surgery rotates as primary docs through the trauma side of the department, EM does not own trauma, anesthesia does trauma airways), didn't vibe with a lot of the faculty/residents, low social capital in the hospital, several rotations where residents are reportedly scutted out hard (especially ortho).

10) Pittsburgh
Pros - strong & reputable critical care experience with their own CCM department, varied clinical experience with Presby & Mercy, Pittsburgh is much cooler than I anticipated, have some good friends in the area, RLT is responsive to resident feedback, new revamped curriculum sounds promising, COL in Pitt is solid.

Cons - didn't fit with the residents I met; at the interview dinner a couple residents spoke poorly of other EM programs and that really turned me off, I didn't vibe with the RLT and my interview with the PD was my least favorite of the whole season, only one month of elective time in a 3 year program makes it near impossible to get into CCM via the ABIM/ABEM pathway (unless it's Pitt's program, as a PGY3 was reportedly granted a spot in the E17 fellowship class), the RLT was unable espouse a vision for the future of the program, Pitt's presence in the western US is not as strong as other programs on my list.

11) Vanderbilt
Pros - really liked the residents I met at the dinner, undeniably solid educational environment, Nashville is a happening place with a lot of young people & solid night life, serious clout from Slovis in job search, reportedly solid peds experience, lots of critical care time for a 3 year, incoming PD was very welcoming and seemed to be supportive of creating a CCM fellowship track.

Cons - didn’t vibe with Slovis or Wrenn, program is overly focused on didactics for my taste - every answer on interview day went back to "teaching" and I'm more of a learn by doing kind of guy, no EMCCM faculty (although they are reportedly recruiting from UM?), likely transition in next couple years with Slovis retiring, don't own trauma in the ED, Vandy grads don't have the geographical spread that other shops have.

12) Utah
Pros - Salt Lake City, invested PD, Salt Lake City, ortho rotation on the mountain, Salt Lake City, overall residents were pretty chill.

Cons - honestly would have cancelled this one if I could've since two weeks into interview season I knew that I wouldn't want to be here, alas it was too late to cancel politely... I didn’t really fit with the residents, relatively new program, limited critical care exposure and no senior MICU time, only two months of elective, residents are oriented towards the place rather than the program (which is totally understandable, just not what I'm looking for culturally), only place I didn't interview with the PD, limited diversity of SLC, EM is a division, don't own trauma at the U, lack of a unified vision going forward from the program leadership, limited track record of fellowship placement compared to other shops I liked.

Other:
Invited to interview - Christiana, Cook County, Emory, Hennepin, Highland, Maine Med, New Mexico, Northwestern, OHSU, U Conneticut

Waitlisted - LAC/USC, UCSF-SFGH

Rejected - Maryland [really bummed about this one], Carolinas, UCLA-Harbor

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Per SDN tradition, here is this year's Rank Order List (ROL) thread. There are a number of ways in which you may participate:
  1. By using your SDN account and directly replying to this thread
  2. By using your SDN account to private message (PM) @surely . Your ROL will be posted anonymously.
  3. By using the anonymous Google Form created for this thread. No SDN or email account required.
Format:
  • EM applicants have a tough time gauging how competitive they are. The more information this year's applicants provide when posting their ROL, the better idea future applicants have of their chances. Ideally, approximate Step scores, EM rotation grades, AOA status, SVI score (though the SVI consensus seems to be "who cares"), etc. It especially helps if you include the names of places you turned down interviews from and the places who rejected/silent rejected you. If you don't feel comfortable providing some of this information, it's fine, but any details are appreciated. If you're reading this, chances are you benefited in some way from the information on SDN from previous years, and now is your chance to pay it forward. If you prefer to post that information after Match Day, you can always send the information to me and I'll edit the post, or you can quote the post and add it yourself.
  • Include a description of your thinking process/priorities you considered to create your rank order list (i.e., 3- vs. 4-year program, community vs. county, location, reputation, residents/faculty, work hours, etc.). This is tremendously important for future applicants as they are trying to determine which programs they are applying to.
  • List the programs you are ranking in their respective numerical order, providing a brief summary of cons/pros you considered for each
  • Please include shift length and number of shifts per month. Sadly, not many people posted that info on the IV Impressions spreadsheet, and that's one of the most useful pieces of information for next year's applicants.

Best of luck to everyone, and happy New Year! It's been a long road, but 2018 is the year we've been waiting all this time for.

Helpful links:

Ideal submission example from last year's thread:
@surely MY MVP PICK FOR 2017. MAAAHHHH MAN :clap::soexcited::banana::diebanana:

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted anonymously, via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 260s, Step 2: 270s
EM rotations: H/H/H
Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha: Yes
Medical school region: Northeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Significant prior work history

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Beer, Babes, and Dollar Bills

1) Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center (LAC/USC)
2) University of Michigan
3) Maricopa Medical Center
4) University of Maryland
5) Advocate Christ Medical Center
6) Carolinas Medical Center
7) Oregon Health and Science University
8) Vanderbilt University
9) Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital
10) University of California San Francisco
11) John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
12) Christiana Care Health Services
13) Denver Health

Withdrew from the following before hearing anything: Stanford, Virginia, Temple, UPenn, Brown, NYU, Sinai, Maine

Invited to interview, but declined: WashU, UWash, Utah, UTSW, UNC, Duke, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, all Boston programs, Cinci

Note from @surely - More pros/cons would be helpful, but I'll take all the data points I can get, so thanks for submitting this.

Members don't see this ad :)
This will be more for the DO's

Applicant Summary:

COMLEX 1: 524, COMLEX 2: 545
EM rotations: H/H/H/HP/H
SLOE's: Top 10%, Middle 1/3
Medical school region: Deep South DO
Anything else that made you more competitive: Significant prior work history w/leadership, Small amount of EM research, Couple of conference presentations.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location-Wanted to stay somewhere where we had a support system, either professional or family (Wife is on dialysis, on the transplant list for a Kidney and has a job with GREAT health insurance). Ease of moving logistics. Wanted to stay more community-based and near places I wanted to work post-residency.

AOA:
1) Merit Health Wesley-Hattiesburg, MS. PROS-Linked to school, Solid didactics, relatively unopposed residency, 10 hr shifts (when I auditioned, they were thinking of going back to 12's), moonlighting allowed starting in second year, ACGME Accredited, free food. CONS-Small program, relatively new, new PD for this year, 4 year program

2) Norman Regional Medical System-Norman, OK. PROS-rotate between 3 campuses, residents all seemed happy, heavy pre-hospital emphasis, best didactics that I experienced, 12 hr shifts, unopposed residency. CONS- Antiquated EHR, ACGME Pre-Accredited, 4-year program

3) Integris Southwest Medical Center- OKC, OK. PROS-Busiest ED in state, Lots of procedures, emphasis on bedside US. CONS- Interns work 21, 12hr shifts on EM months and are expected to see the lion's share of patients, passive didactics, 4-year program

ACGME:
1) WellStar Kennestone- Marietta-GA. PROS-New facility in the works, Epic EHR, Benefits include a concierge program for day to day things, EM residents will "own" most, if not all procedures. CONS-new program.

2) Ohio Valley Medical Center/E Ohio Regional Hospital. PROS-Established program, prehospital opportunities, 3 year program CONS- Old facility, small ED, USACS provides attending coverage, PD is "unique"

Reactions: 3 users

Applicant Summary:

Anything else that made you more competitive: Significant prior work history w/leadership, Small amount of EM research, Couple of conference presentations.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location-Wanted to stay somewhere where we had a support system, either professional or family (Wife is on dialysis, on the transplant list for a Kidney and has a job with GREAT health insurance). Ease of moving logistics. Wanted to stay more community-based and near places I wanted to work post-residency.

AOA:
1) Merit Health Wesley-Hattiesburg, MS. PROS-Linked to school, Solid didactics, relatively unopposed residency, 10 hr shifts (when I auditioned, they were thinking of going back to 12's), moonlighting allowed starting in second year, ACGME Accredited, free food. CONS-Small program, relatively new, new PD for this year, 4 year program

2) Norman Regional Medical System-Norman, OK. PROS-rotate between 3 campuses, residents all seemed happy, heavy pre-hospital emphasis, best didactics that I experienced, 12 hr shifts, unopposed residency. CONS- Antiquated EHR, ACGME Pre-Accredited, 4-year program

3) Integris Southwest Medical Center- OKC, OK. PROS-Busiest ED in state, Lots of procedures, emphasis on bedside US. CONS- Interns work 21, 12hr shifts on EM months and are expected to see the lion's share of patients, passive didactics, 4-year program

ACGME:
1) WellStar Kennestone- Marietta-GA. PROS-New facility in the works, Epic EHR, Benefits include a concierge program for day to day things, EM residents will "own" most, if not all procedures. CONS-new program.

2) Ohio Valley Medical Center/E Ohio Regional Hospital. PROS-Established program, prehospital opportunities, 3 year program CONS- Old facility, small ED, USACS provides attending coverage, PD is "unique"
Why only 2 SLOEs with 5 EM rotations?

Why only 2 SLOEs with 5 EM rotations?

First 2 were in 3rd year in a community ER-didnt know about the non-faculty SLOE, so only got a regular LOR that went to the DO programs only. The last rotation was in October, didn't find out until the day before I started that they only did a group SLOE for the July-September rotators. If I had known in advance, I would have moved my rotations around and done it in September.

Withdrew from the following before hearing anything: Stanford, Virginia, Temple, UPenn, Brown, NYU, Sinai, Maine

Invited to interview, but declined: WashU, UWash, Utah, UTSW, UNC, Duke, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, all Boston programs, Cinci

dude's reject pile is like a list of the number #1 rank slots of my med school's EM cohort lol

Reactions: 4 users
dude's reject pile is like a list of the number #1 rank slots of my med school's EM cohort lol
That whole rank list reads like a parody of SDN's wishlist of interviews. Even has Denver at the bottom.

Reactions: 7 users
That whole rank list reads like a parody of SDN's wishlist of interviews. Even has Denver at the bottom.
I had a lot of residencies that SDN circle jerks over at the bottom of my list. Different strokes for different folks, fam.

Applicant Summary:

AOA:

ACGME:

Sincerely hope you end up in a place that's best for your wife and family my man. Appreciate your openness and willingness to help out your SDN fam.

Reactions: 5 users

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 270s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotations: H/H/H
Medical school region: Outside the US
Anything else that made you more competitive: Former Jedi, did a ton of mission work on the outer rim before going back for medical school. Had great rotations, got great SLOEs.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Typical EM stuff, live for climbing and skiing. Want to be somewhere with academic resources but county population and vibe. May potentially be interested in critical care, so would like to be at a brand name program.

1) Corellia County
Pros:
One of the most well known and prestigious programs, great pathology, lots of autonomy. EM and trauma surgery have a great relationship, EM is very active in resuscitations as the only procedures trauma surgery has dibs on are left sided lightsaber assisted thoracotomies. Plus you get the chance to practice space medicine, you get your suit certification.
Cons:
Rough neighborhood, program is known for working long hours

2) Naboo University Medical Center
Pros:
Great program, super academic but with tons of autonomy. Home program, so I know the faculty very well, super great bunch. Although it’s technically an academic medical center, it is by all intents and purposes the de facto county medical center for Theed. The other private hospitals in the area don’t offer the same level of care for the uninsured.
Cons:
Nit picking here because I love this program, but huge Gungan population (can be a challenging group to sort through the somatic complaints to find real pathology). Went to med school here, kinda wanna check out somewhere new, although would be pumped to match here.

3) Coruscant University
Pros:
Old, academic and well respected program. Big names in EM, powerhouse faculty. One of the original county programs. Awesome city, would love to spend the next 4 years in Coruscant.
Cons:
The program’s location near the former Jedi temple is in sort of a low yield area for trauma as the imperials have been pushed out in favor of a younger, hipper crowd, and housing is very pricey.

4) Revan Memorial Hospital - Dantooine
Pros:
Well funded, beautiful facilities. Bad ass faculty, fearless group. Super intense regional trauma center, residents work hard but learn a ton. Lots of research going on. EM runs the resuscitation bay, known for doing more thoracotomies than any other program. Technically a private hospital, but is the safety net for the surrounding region.
Cons:
Living on Dantooine would be boring, no mountains. Lots of farming accidents and speeder crashes.

5) Hoth General
Pros:
Great, well known, one of the original county programs. Super cutting edge, always on top of the most recent EM literature. Also have some huge names in current EM. 2-1B has been on faculty there for years, and literally wrote the book on bacta resuscitation.
Cons:
Hoth is a pretty far into the outer rim, sort of hard to find, and is super cold. Not sure if I could deal with that much snow, although they do have great skiing.

6) Korriban County
Pros:
Super cheap housing, and honestly while it may not be for everyone I could see myself loving living on Korriban. Lots of cool ruins to explore, ancient stuff to find, great mountains to climb (real classic trad routes). Also, program location is in the old Sith academy, so lots of nearby acuity, classic blaster and lightsaber club.
Cons:
SO probably wouldn’t love living in Korriban, she says she’ll do it, but I see her happier someplace with better skiing. Also not the most academic program, super blue collar ethos.

7) Tatooine Planetary University
Pros:
Actually liked this program a lot more than I thought, as the only level 1 trauma center on Tatooine, they see a ton of pathology. On my interview day they brought in two herniating subdurals from Sand People attacks. The Program director is great, really makes you feel wanted. And the Sand People are super misunderstood, as well as having tons of health problems, really an underserved community. Some great crack climbing in the area too.
Cons:
Has a bad boarding problem, slow ED. Not as prestigious as other programs, plus Mos Eisley is a little bit of a back water. Also the Surgery Chair is a Hutt, so trauma is very surgery driven, although they are trying to change that.

8) Mustafar Hospital
Pros:
Old, established program, great burn ICU with lots of resident autonomy. Program director is super charismatic, really tempts you with the offer to overcome death with him. Low cost of living.
Cons:
Not the greatest place to live, super hot summers, dry winters, no great outdoors activities. Seriously, you’d have to charter a ship to Naboo to find the nearest skiing.

9) Kashyyyk Medical Center
Pros:
Only residency in the hospital, so you get do do your own reductions, ophtho exams, etc. Great training. Not very much acuity though, Wookies tend to be super healthy up until old age, then start falling and breaking their femurs.
Cons:
No mountains, I don’t really dig the Mid-Rim vibes, people are so nice to your face, but you know they’re gossiping behind your back.

10) The Endor Clinic
Pros:
Awesome peds ED, the local minorities are a super happy, friendly bunch. The forest moon seems like a nice, affordable place to raise a family.
Cons:
No nearby climbing, the program is known to be sort of hand-holdey, not a ton of autonomy. Not the most prestigious program, in fact most people tend to pretend it doesn’t exist.

Did Not Rank:
Alderaan

LOVED this program, great city, in the mountains, super close to skiing and climbing. Super bummed the planet got blown up, would have loved to be here.

Rejected from: Rakata Medical Center

Invited to interview, but declined: University of Taris, Manaan Medical Center, Kessel General Hospital, Jakku State University

Note from @surely - This is just the best thing. If it were a little less niche, Buzzfeed would have already ganked it and studded it with gifs. Bravo, comrade. Live long and prosper.

Reactions: 22 users
Dead that both Revan and Taris got shout outs here. This person knows their ****.

Members don't see this ad :)

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 210s, Step 2: 220s
EM rotation grades: Did 2, both were Pass/Fail only, Passed both
Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha: No
Medical school region: Southeast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Previous ER tech experience. Significantly non-traditional.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Married with school-age kids. Spouse's job is difficult to move around much and impacted rank list order.

1) Louisiana State University - Shreveport

2) Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge
Loved the feel of the program. Level 2 mothership and community hospital shifts but nothing really gets shipped out of the city.

3) University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - Tulsa
Not my favorite program but will get good education. Higher on list only because spouse can get job easily here.
No trauma designation at primary hospital. Limited rotating at the Level 2's in the city.

4) University of Nebraska Medical Center
Loved the people, town was nice. I'm a small-town girl and really didn't want to train in a huge city. The new sim lab being built was impressive.

5) University of Missouri Columbia
People were nice, liked the small town feel. Only 2 hours from St. Louis/Kansas City. More rural feeling and associated injuries (I don't plan to work in a large city so the injuries they see are more similar to the training I need than a gun & knife club).

6) Truman Medical Center / University of Missouri Kansas City
I liked the program. Will get good training. Really liked that you get equal shifts at the children's hospital.

7) University of Central Florida at Ocala

8) University of Central Florida at Gainesville

Invited to interview, but declined: Memorial Health System, Marietta OH

Anything else?
Applied to 53 programs.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 240s, Step 2: 230s
EM rotation grades: HP/HP/Honors
Anything else that made you more competitive: URM

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location

1) Emory University School of Medicine
2) Carolinas Medical Center
3) Duke University Medical Center
4) Baylor College of Medicine
5) University of Texas Houston
6) Jackson Memorial Hospital
7) University of South Florida
8) Allegheny General Hospital

Invited to interview, but declined: Ohio State

If you're going to submit please include your reasoning for what programs are where on your list, it's more helpful to future applicants. For example, I have no idea why the above poster got 9 interviews and declined Ohio State. Is OSU so terribly awful and wretched that they'd rather risk SOAPing into a surgery pre-lim than match there, which with a rank list of 8 programs is a real possibility? Or are there other personal reasons? Future applicants will never know and will likely assume the former which is most likely not true.

Applicant Summary:
Anything else that made you more competitive: Previous ER tech experience. Significantly non-traditional.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Married with school-age kids. Spouse's job is difficult to move around much and impacted rank list order.

Loved the feel of the program. Level 2 mothership and community hospital shifts but nothing really gets shipped out of the city.

Not my favorite program but will get good education. Higher on list only because spouse can get job easily here.
No trauma designation at primary hospital. Limited rotating at the Level 2's in the city.

Loved the people, town was nice. I'm a small-town girl and really didn't want to train in a huge city. The new sim lab being built was impressive.

People were nice, liked the small town feel. Only 2 hours from St. Louis/Kansas City. More rural feeling and associated injuries (I don't plan to work in a large city so the injuries they see are more similar to the training I need than a gun & knife club).

I liked the program. Will get good training. Really liked that you get equal shifts at the children's hospital.

Anything else?
Applied to 53 programs.

Can whoever this list belongs to PM me please?

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 260s, Step 2: 270s
EM rotation grades: H/H/H
Anything else that made you more competitive: Research, significant work experience, Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS), top 10% SLOEs, national leadership.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: looking for academic programs with opportunity to explore my niche. want superb clinical training. didn't really care for 3 vs. 4 argument. location. interested in tox/med ed/admin fellowships. strong commitment to underserved. First 5 and last 3, I felt strongly about (hence detail), middle were pretty much interchangeable.

1) Vanderbilt
Pros: academic and focus on education, legendary program, 3 years!, strong clinical training, nashville is a fun city
Cons: Slovis runs the show +/-, unclear on when he'll be stepping aside and if the program will retain its luster

2) University of California San Francisco - San Francisco General Hospital (UCSF)
Pros: Awesome split between academic and county hospitals gives me the best of both worlds, meshed well with residents and faculty, bought into their vision/ethos, exposure to fellowships I want, emphasis on great education.
Cons: cost of living, traffic, newish program.

3) Denver Health
Pros: Similarly stellar split between academic and county hospitals. Phenomenal clinical training. Denver, the outdoors, skiing!!! Training LEADERS in EM. Loved my interview day. Resident dinner was awesome. Great fit.
Cons: They work hard!!! Worried how that might play out over 4 years, but damn they are legendary.

4) Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center (LAC/USC)
Pros: The ultimate in clinical training. Trial by fire speaks to me. Their mission and dedication to the underserved is inspiring and aligns perfectly with my morals. Love LA.
Cons: 4 years of 12 hour shifts, good god. Pure county experience contrasts heavily with my ultimate goals, but I was enamored. Cost of living, traffic.

5) Emory
Pros: another great county and academic split program. only 3 years. well respected. new ED at Grady. cool residents, good fit.
Cons: Not a huge fan of Atlanta.

6) University of Chicago

7) Brown University

8) Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Brigham and Women's

9) Indiana University School of Medicine

10) Cincinnati

11) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University

Pros: commitment to training leaders, good brand name, solid clinical training, love chicago Cons: not a fan of the commute, cost of living, residents were a bit odd, not sure ED pathology is totally up to snuff especially if they need to ship me to the ICU so much, not a great fit

12) Carolinas Medical Center

Pros: legendary name and alumni network, great interviews, loved the residents, 3 years!,
Cons: not a big fan of charlotte, floor months (in the year of our lord 2018 none-the-less...), weird vacation structure (can't take weekends off??!!), seems to be resting on their laurels

13) Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
Pros: academic, nice split between different sites, warm location.
Cons: new 4th year and I don't want to be a guinea pig, cost of living is horrendous, traffic terrible, palo alto/mv/cup are boring, questionable pathology in well-insured and followed kaiser patients and wealthy palo altoans, residents seemed pretentious and I didn't mesh well. weird interview experience with PD and former PD and residents left a sour taste.

Rejected by: BIDMC, Kaiser San Diego, UCLA-OV

Invited to interview, but declined: Highland, Harbor, Yale, Hennepin, OHSU, UW, UNC, UVA, Duke, Wake Forest

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 240s, Step 2: 240s
EM rotation grades: Honors/HP/Honors
Anything else that made you more competitive: Typical slew of EC's (random interest groups, research, activities)

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: 20% Location, 10% reputation, 70% gut. Prefer Northeast, academic if I can get it.

1) Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Brigham and Women's
Pros: Love Boston, want to be involved in an academic program. Really enjoyed the residents, felt like my kind of people. Name certainly doesn't hurt.

Cons: Expensive, not much community time (they say at their interview that they don't do a lot of bread and butter EM), 4 year, cold.

My cons are mostly small things, none of them truly bother me that much and I would be out of my mind excited if I ended up here. Interview day was LONG with a couple bus rides between sites, but it was good time spent with residents I guess?

2) University of Chicago
Pros: Shiny new ED, I'm really into the helicopter/flight doc stuff, love the diversity of the institution and the community outreach of the program. You are thrown right in as an intern, not really graduated responsibility. Chicago is a great city. 3 year program

Cons: Chicago traffic especially to the community site, no graduated responsibility even though I feel like I know 0 medicine at this point. Not in Northeast.

Chicago really clicked with me. The pre-interview event felt like a night out at a bar with a group of friends.

3) George Washington University
Pros: Such strong mentorship, felt like a true family atmosphere from the top down. Liked the different directions residents take in their careers

Cons: First time being in DC, really. Felt like the city shut down early. Not impressed by the volume that goes through the hospital...didn't feel like the fourth year was terribly necessary. Didn't quite click with the residents but didn't really meet many of them during the day (red flag?)

4) Johns Hopkins
Pro: Big one is the name-you can go from there to anywhere in just about anything. Residents seemed very collegial, I have no concern about quality of training down there. I like the pseudo-fellowship fourth year since I know I want to go in the academic direction

Con: Haven't processed my feelings for Baltimore. Feels like maybe the fourth year should just be a fellowship (or a non-ACGME one) so we could actually get paid.

Really obviously a great program with great resources to do whatever. Residents were really blunt and straightforward, they knew that they didn't need to sell the program (more important for people to know what they are getting into).

5) University of Rochester Pros: Everyone is so nice. Tons of fun stuff to do up there. You can buy a house. Mega ED. Some flight stuff.

Cons: Isolated city. So much snow and cold weather.

Rochester is another one that I felt like I clicked with, but moreso because it just felt like I was at home. Everything felt so familiar and welcoming. Would not be upset at ALL if I landed here on my list.

6) University of Connecticut
Good sized program in the NE. Hartford is a nice little city if nothing impressive. Very well organized and all time spent off-service is geared towards emergency training. They were very emphatic about that. Really liked the faculty and PD that I met, definitely more accessible than some places.

Cons: Strange vibe from the pre-interview dinner (though the food was good!). Way more of a need to sell the program from the residents (rather than truly being happy there).

Thought the place was nice, just didn't have that spark that I felt at some other places.

7) Mount Sinai School of Medicine - New York
Pros: Elmhurst seems like an experience that can't be replicated anywhere with the pathologies and the cultures and the volume. Very close knit residents. NYC living

Cons: NYC living. You work a TON of 12's. You do a moderate amount of scut (though sounds like way less than before). 4 years and not sure why the 4th.

I'd say by far the closest group of residents that I saw during interview season. Maybe I got lucky with the night I was there but I doubt it. They go out weekly (if possible) as a standing date, ignoring all the informal hanging out that occurs.

8) University of Massachusetts
Pros: Great emergency department, huge volume of cases. Northeast which I like. Month in Hawaii third year.

Cons: They work and go home. No real sense of residents hanging out afterwards. Not much diversity within the program.

9) Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
Pros: Hilarious, personable PD. Housing is awesome.

Cons: Hospitals felt small. Felt like a lot of off-service. I don't want to live in NYC.

10) Baystate Medical Center
11) Rush University Medical Center
12) Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
13) Penn State Health Milton S Hershey

Rejected by: Yale, Brown, BU, BIDMC, UPenn, Vandy, Emory

Invited to interview, but declined: UWash, Drexel, Allegheny

anyone remember what the HAEMR (MGH/Brigham) shift distribution is? I know they do 12s on the weekends 3rd and 4th year (so they get 2 full weeks off a month on the other ones) but am not sure about whether they do 8/10/12 otherwise? Seems like a great place

I don't have the answer to this, but I'd like to ask that you please ask these questions in the Application Thread, not the ROL thread. Let's try to just use this thread to post ROLs and discuss the posted ROLs.

Applicant Summary:

Anything else?
Applied to 53 programs.

Can you pm me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 240s, Step 2: 260s
Anything else that made you more competitive: I got a lot of compliments about my personal statement. Other than that, nothing really.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: I want a nice mixture of patient population and training sites. I want to do a lot of procedures and come out an awesome emergency physician. I'd prefer a place with good teaching during didactics and during shifts. 8=9=10>12. International opportunities. No preference for 3 or 4 and no geographic preference. I want options for where I go when I graduate so name brand is important to me. I want to end up in academics when I'm done.

#1 and 2 are interchangeable for me.

1. University of Cincinnati College of Medicine:
EMS experience on the helicopters seems like an awesome unique opportunity to grow as a physician. Great representation of alumni in amazing academic places around the country. Really strong training with some of the nicest residents I've met. 6.5 months of elective time to help discover a niche. COL is great in cincy but not my favorite city.

2. Vanderbilt University:
Loved this program. Great commitment to teaching, really happy residents, nashville is awesome. Program might be a bit too academic but I'm willing to overlook that for everything else this place has. Faculty are compensated based on resident feedback on how well they teach. That is a huge draw for me.

3. Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Beth Israel Deaconess:
Also another fantastic program with really strong residents. I got along with these residents the best I thought. They have lots of $$$ which is nice. I love the optional 4th year with the ability to earn an MPH at Harvard while working and making good junior attending money. I'm not the biggest fan of Boston though.

4. Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center:
Honestly this and the next one on my list are my favorite programs. However I'm not sure about the quality of physician I'll be learning EM in palo alto. If there was more time at Santa Clara I'd rank this program #1. Love the 6 months of elective time and ability to take classes at Stanford and learn about different things. Best global health in the country. High cost of living is tough though. However they said I can be an astronaut if I come and that sounds good to me.

5. Maricopa Medical Center:
Also truly loved this program. I liked the area (no snow forever please), great training and my favorite PD on the trail. Really enthusiastic and a great salesman for the program. Also really liked these residents a lot. Great work life balance here. 1 elective month in each of the 3 years is a huge plus as well. Only drawback for me is name brand recognition. I know it's petty but I just want as many options as I can have when I'm done with training.

6. Indiana University School of Medicine:
This place is a powerhouse. Unbelievable facilities and this place makes great doctors. However it's a little too busy for me and there won't be as much teaching on shift as I'd like because of that. Teaching is one of the most important things to me which is why it's lower on my list.

7. Washington University St. Louis/Barnes-Jewish Hospital:
Great PD, strong program with good ability to get involved in healthcare policy and good international experiences. I like that they send you to maricopa for 2 weeks to catch babies in OB. Cool experience to go to Hawaii where they give you a house and car for a month. St Louis isn't that great and 1 month of medicine and peds floor months isn't a huge draw either. Also they aren't their own department which, although they say it doesn't matter, it kind of matters to me. Average of 7 GSW/ day as well makes you a boss in trauma but maybe at the expense of seeing other ailments.

8. Maine Medical Center:
Loved this program a lot. I loved portland, I loved the training philosophy (should be able to graduate and work in rural Alaska alone and feel comfortable) and really liked the faculty I met. I didn't jive with the residents and that's why it's lower on my list unfortunately.

9. University of North Carolina:
Awesome PD. This program is good at a lot but not really great at anything. I like the splot between UNC and Wakemed even if you have to commute. Good cost of living and great area. I liked the residents here too. However the dinner with the residents was at a brewery and you couldn't put drinks on the tab so I bumped it down because that says a lot about a program to me.

10. University of Washington:
Love seattle, liked the residents and seemed like a really strong program. However lack of alumni network (newer program), strong EMS in the area and not a great use of 4th year bumped this place down on my list.

11. Johns Hopkins Hospital:
Didn’t jive with this program. However, Baltimore is a great place to train for EM, great use of 4th year and Hopkins name will take you far.

12. Los Angeles County - Harbor-UCLA Medical Center:
Residents did not seem happy, the place is broke and the residents/program will tell you about it, no international experiences, >1/2 of patients don't speak english which isn't great for training if you don't speak spanish because you won't be able to see as many patients having to get an interpreter for every other patient. LA is a cool city and I wish I liked the program more so I could live here.

13. University of California San Francisco/ Fresno:
This place trains awesome doctors I just didn't feel like it was a good fit for me. Also didn't really use their 4th year that well.

Rejected by: Denver, Emory, UCSF, Alameda, Carolinas, Temple, U Penn, Maryland, UPMC, USC-LAC, Mass Gen, Mt. Sinai. Silent rejections: George Washington, Georgetown, UVirginia, Hennepin, Wake Forest, Duke, UCSD, Palmetto, NYU, Ohio State

Invited to interview, but declined: UTSW, OHSU, Christiana, UF-Gainsville, Mayo, UW-Madison, LSU-New Orleans

Last edited:
Can you pm me?

Why would someone want to message you when this is your only post on SDN? The ROL was submitted to be anonymously for a reason. The earlier request was much more likely to be responded to because they have posted before on SDN.

Applicant Summary:
EM rotation grades: HP/Honors/Honors
Medical school region: East Coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: I think my SLOEs were pretty good. I got really random invites unrelated to any ties. Ex: California, Illinois, S.E.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Feel for program. Location. Family.

1) Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital
Simply consider this to be the best EM training in the country.

2) University of California San Diego
One word: location

3) Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Beth Israel Deaconess
Too difficult to ignore the name in ranking

4) Denver Health
Wanted to like more, but just didn't have the feel

5) University of Maryland
Amazing program. Baltimore is actually a lot cooler than I thought.

6) University of Louisville
Loved the vibe/residents here. Location a bit of a con, but wouldn't be too bad.

7) Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
Strongest program in NYC imho

8) Jacobi/Montefiore - Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Actually rotated here in July.
Pro: Residents were cool
Con: Work a ton. All 12s, Bronx. A little too county for me, weak teaching and didactics

9) Advocate Christ Medical Center
Would be much much higher if not for my S/O

10) University of Chicago Medicine
See above

11) Yale New Haven Medical Center
Great program. I just couldn't do New Haven

12) Palmetto Health Richland
Had higher expectations before learning from friends that rotated it was residents showing up doing all the work while faculty don't teach and sit back in their offices watching tv. .

13) East Carolina University/Vidant Medical Center
Only went to pad end of rank list

14) Ohio State University Medical Center
Worst feel of any place I interviewed. Felt like I was being interrogated for murder. Really strange vibes throughout. Just not what I'm looking for in a program and location is nothing to brag about either.

15) Reading Health System
Went because I got the invite while being in the area. Nothing wrong with program just simply had finalized my rankings before and it didn't change much.

Rejected by: UCLA, Hennepin, Cinci, Penn

Invited to interview, but declined: All the new programs- too risky

Jonesing for some detailed pros/cons on programs.

Everyone come to my program so we can hang out.

Why would someone want to message you when this is your only post on SDN? The ROL was submitted to be anonymously for a reason. The earlier request was much more likely to be responded to because they have posted before on SDN.

Bc I’m new to SDN and have questions for this person specifically because our applications are similar

12) Palmetto Health Richland
Had higher expectations before learning from friends that rotated it was residents showing up doing all the work while faculty don't teach and sit back in their offices watching tv. .

I feel the need to reply to this as it's completely unnecessary to bash a program like this purely off of hearsay...

I rotated here and would definitely disagree with what your "friends said". As a student, the residents did most of the teaching for us as we were directly presenting to them. The residents would then see the patients and staff with the attending after seeing a few. The faculty do sit in their own room in the low acuity zone and the residents have TONS of autonomy which is why I'm assuming your friends made the statements they did. Had I just sat in the main hub and not gone back to staff with the resident, I might have had the same impression. But when I did go back with them, I saw the exact same interaction that I saw while rotating at a large academic institution. On high acuity shifts you sat right next to the attending while all of this happened and saw it first hand. Like most places, some attendings do very minimal teaching while others like to post the classic "what if" scenarios. Quite a few times I had attendings from a different pod come over to show me a cool EKG or see an interesting ultrasound finding on their patient. So the big difference between this program versus the academic programs I saw was whether you want somebody standing there right next to you making the decisions for the patient or more of the model where you are the main person in charge of your patient with the attendings hovering in the background making sure nothing catastrophic goes wrong. I also find it bizarre that people think the faculty don't work with the residents. It's the only program (as far as I know) that literally lets you hand pick your schedule every year allowing you extra vacation or global health experiences by rearranging the schedule to satisfy everyone. The residents also got shift credit for any teaching experience they did with med students, global health work, or pretty much anything they could justify as being educational. Biggest downside of this location in my opinion was the location. Columbia was on the smaller side of cities with not much to do nearby. It was close to Charleston and Charlotte but not close enough to take advantage of it as frequently as I would like.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 250s, Step 2: 260s
Medical school region:
Anything else that made you more competitive: Research and Meded jobs

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Fit, Perception of Reputation, Location. 3>4 because SO job contract for 3 years. ROL will probably change but this is what I have got so far.

1) Carolinas Medical Center
Great conversations with residents and faculty. Reputation is legendary and they continue to push themselves to remain on top with new diverse experiences for residents. Charlotte has good mix of temperature relative to the places I have lived. No attachment to the area but simply loved the fit with the people. 3 months of electives is amazing for a 3 year program and I hope to explore at least 1 international elective. All aspects of the program are strengths such as PEM, EMS, Tox, u/s, research, Meded opportunities. IMHO this program is the nation's best well rounded clinical training and curriculum all at a single site hybrid academic, county, community medical center combined with family feel with resident wellness.

2) Los Angeles County - Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Reputation is legendary and they have such a strong commitment to serving the county. Great location with residents living by the beach but traffic and parking are not ideal. Residents had a great time together and talked about their time to cuba. The restriction on going on any international electives is a negative. The PEM, meded, and county experience are superb. Weather here is the best. IMHO is the nation's best 4 year blend of academic county with amazing teaching and resident wellness.

3) Hennepin County Medical Center
If you do not mind a cold location and are looking for training with the most autonomy look no further. HCMC EM is king of the hospital and they have the best role as pit boss in the 3rd year. The STAB rooms are gorgeous and they are all yours 3rd year. The strict graded responsibility is different than most other programs, but its just a different style that has turned out superb physicians. As the second oldest EM residency they have been at the forefront of resuscitation and ultrasound and continue to push the boundaries with ED reboa, ecmo, and TEE. Continues to improve on its legendary reputation. Ortho autonomy is a huge plus also along with HBO. IMHO is the nation's best academic wealthy county in a cold location where you have the most autonomy with a rare experience of HBO.

4) Denver Health
Legendary reputation and continues to provide amazing clinical training through diverse experiences and high volume. Denver has been having an influx of people and this continue to push the high volume of patients the residents are fortunate enough to have to manage. To me malignant means a negative environment where residents and faculty are not happy and put each other down. DH was anything but malignant as I saw residents and faculty lift each other up and support each other and other services. Joined in on an intern white board teaching session after signout that was relaxed and taught in such a digestible way you could never forget it. Program is an awesome blend of a 2 site county academic feel in an amazing. Residents have plenty of time to still go to the mountains, bike, rock climb, and check out all the amazing breweries. While DH is a county program it also has strong off service teachers. These strong off services are reverent of the EM program are not a source of obstacles like at some other programs. Also DH has the highest concentration of toxicologist faculty. IMHO is the nation's best 4 year program with well rounded clinical training with high volume, strong off service teaching in a popular city that continues to grow in volume.

5) Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
Well known for amazing resident wellness and truly has a cohesive group of residents that almost all live together right across from MSW. Reputation of clinical training has always been strong with really great fellowship turn out to many coveted 4 year em residencies. Provides strong clinically at the county St. Luke's site and more community tertiary patients at the mount sinai west site. While not much trauma in Manhattan, residents get plenty of exposure at either shock trauma or miami trauma elective. NYC has amazing diversity and these residents get to see such a variety of medically sick patients. IMHO is the best for working with diverse medically sick patients in a supportive environment that truly believes that you will get the most out of this residency by being pushed to your limit and being allowed to rest and decompress.

6) Maricopa Medical Center
Amazing reputable program that has an invigorating speech about looking for residents with a different hue from the crowd to be a leader in the EM field. Will be joining with Creighton university to have more financial and academic resources. Residents work very hard, but wellness at this program is a strong selling point and is demonstrated by the hard work the residents do to prank Dr. Epter's office. There is no way they could be burnt out and still make efforts like making a bolted stone throne. Alumni are all around the nation. Strong selling point is the 1 month of elective each year that you can go internationally. Negatives are potentially the heat if you are not used to it. IMHO best program in an affordable area that has a strong county experience combined with a thirst for continuous innovation and has 3 months of elective that have strong international support.

7) University of California Irvine Medical Center
Program is nationally known for their ultrasound experience, but also has amazing meded opportunities and academic opportunities as a site for 2 EM journals. There is no county hospital in the area so this program has the benefit of being a university community hospital that sees plenty of county patients. While this this is a small program and has smaller facilities with less volume, the PD shows how this program actually provides a surplus of patient to resident ratio. The intimate knowledge the faculty has of resident lives is less like family but more like best friends which is unique compared to other programs I visited which had more family sibling feel between faculty and residents. One negative is the less informative website compared to other programs so take good notes if you interview here. The location of orange county is imho the best. IMHO this is the best program where faculty and residents will be on the level of your best friend and you still get the best ultrasound training along with meded opportunities combined with fast paced clinical training.

8) Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Great program with strong PEM and international experience. Has the benefit of having an academic and county site. Has 2.5 elective months for the international experience. The location allows access to the more popular areas of southern california like la and the OC but is also in proximity to the desert and the mountains for great outdoor activities. Area is very affordable for california. IMHO best program to have an affordable location in california along with strong PEM and international elective time.

9) Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
Strong reputation program that continues to expand and improve. Now has former PD from northwestern, Dr. Gisondi, a huge leader in ALIEM and other aspects of academic medicine. Is currently building brand new hospital. Has the most elective time of any other 4 year program that I visited. Has diverse experience with kaiser as a community site, stanford as a tertiary hospital, and Valley county. Valley county is supposedly the second busiest county hospital only second to USC la county. I would prefer less time at the tertiary hospital, but this may be the best blend for others. IMHO best program that is dynamic for change to be the best and if you want vast academic opportunities at your finger tips and if you want more of a tertiary ED experience with a good exposure to the kaiser community system with flavor of county to practice your autonomy.

10) University of California San Diego
Location Location Location. If you want to go into academia, love tox, hbo, and the beach UCSD is the program for you. They have a strong academic focus that is combined with diverse training and multiple sites. If you want to stay on the west coast and want to have autonomy with flight medicine UCSD is also the program for you. Low volume but only 10 residents per class and you have 4 years of training. IMHO best program to have combination of great weather, the beach, academic experience, and many diverse sites.

11) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
One of the oldest programs with a huge alumni network with the goal and success of turning out leaders in the field. Feel for the program was the best combination of academic EM with business admin feel. IMHO best program for ED leadership/business admin

12) Temple University School of Medicine
Amazing reputation in philly and nationally. Over 60 thoracotomies last year. If you want to see tons of trauma check out temple. Negatives have been said to be patient diversity at the main hospital, but pathology is said to be diverse. Residents see different patient diversity at the other community sites to improve the resident experience. IMHO best program to get a northeast affordable city feel with great pathology and trauma procedural experience and circadian rhythm schedule.

Applicant Summary:
Medical school region: East coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Strong internal medicine letter and 3 SLOEs that I was told were really strong.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Gut feeling, resident culture, and efficient curriculum in my mind. Not to trust doximity or try to be sold on any programs years of prestige. Tried to focus on what the program is doing today and in the future for the residents.

1) Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center
Well established program that maintains the innovation and drive of a brand new program. Efficient 3 year program. Residents were relaxed and had a great vibe from them.

2) Orlando Regional Medical Center
Strong reputation in south. Great residency culture. Get together for sports every week. Hybrid county, academic, community at a single site.

3) Johns Hopkins Hospital
Best use of 4th year more like a 3+1 style. Really easy going residents and faculty that have hopkins resources, but remain humble.

4) George Washington University
PD and APD are awesome and really support finding a unique combination niche such as toxicology meded internationally.

5) University of South Florida
Lots of new change from program director for wellness. Residents are super relaxed and have a great time together.

6) SUNY Downstate/Kings County Hospital
Reputation is great with tons of pathology but residents seemed burnt out and the extra scutwork and tons of translation phone use don't seem worth it to me.

7) NYU/Bellevue Medical Center
Amazing reputation and the most diverse pathology you can find. Little trauma since its Manhattan. Turn off was the pretentious elitist atmosphere.

8) Riverside Community Hospital / University of California Riverside
New and innovative but for a 3 year program having a medicine floor month is very unnecessary. Residents super happy.

9) University of Central Florida/HCA GME Consortium of Greater Orlando
New program with the chance to build something new. With not a full 3 year class, the residents have so much opportunity and leadership. Residents happy but a little more reserved.

10) Yale New Haven Medical Center
Program is very academic at the sacrifice i believe for clinical training and new haven was not my cup of tea

11) Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education
Another program where it is too academic and consult heavy at the sacrifice for the clinical training i am looking for. Also way too cold.

12) University of California San Francisco - San Francisco General Hospital
Program is relatively newer 10 years old and has a good balance of academic and county 50/50, but i felt like the atmosphere was less humble. Peds experience seems pretty weak and SF is crazy expensive.

13) University of Florida - Jacksonville
Residents seemed to be the most tired of all the residents I met on the trail. Strong county experience with very little academic support.

14) John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
Amazing reputation but the multiple floor months seem inefficient. Seems more like a program that is resting on its laurels. Chicago is not my cup of tea and it gets too cold. Traffic was horrible.

Withdrew from the following before hearing anything: Florida Hospital, University of Washington, Baylor, University of Chicago, Utah, Kern

Rejected by: Harvard Mass General, St Luke's Mount Sinai West, UC Irvine, UC davis, Stanford, Northwestern, Carolinas, Hennepin, Denver, Harbor-ucla, Maricopa,

Invited to interview, but declined: staten island, drexel, maimonides, UT houston, Austin dell, stony brook, Jacobi, gainsville, NYP Queens

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 260s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotation grades: H/H
Medical school region: Southwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Top 10% SLOEs

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: The best well rounded clinical training in my perception. Didn't care about 3 vs 4.

1) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
One of the oldest programs with such an amazing alumni network. Great inclusion gut feel. They send out alumnis to welcome you to the NU family on match day. Interview day was awesome and applicants played the WII with both faculty and residents in the lounge. Feel like all resources are at your finger tips. Emphasis on being a consumer, curator, and creator of medical education. Dr. Bailitz was super friendly and has a lot to offer coming from many years at cook county. Despite what doximity says I truly believe this program is at the top.

2) Carolinas Medical Center
Top of the top well rounded training. Goal is to provide ample diverse opportunities with no goal to make any cookie cutter type of EM physician. Residents and Faculty were so close like best friends. Highly sought after for amazing job offers from even pgy1 year with any fellowship desired. Very diverse residents and faculty. Ped EM Morsals is such an amazing resource.

3) Denver Health
Amazing split county and academic with strong emphasis on training future leaders. Great resident turn out, high energy, no sign of any malignancy or non supportive culture. Great outdoors city culture.

4) Hennepin County Medical Center
Second oldest EM program. Dr. Smith is EKG guru. Pit boss autonomy sounds like the best. So many ultrasound machines and even have them wall extension mounted in the STAB room. They come out super comfortable with all ortho reductions and can read CT for neurosurg just as well as any radiologist. Peds experience has historically been weaker but they have added a new peds experience in response to previous constructive criticism.

5) Indiana University School of Medicine
Really similar feel to Carolinas but location seemed less interesting. A little less learn by doing feel than the programs above.

6) Vanderbilt University
Amazing program with such a strong emphasis on teaching and education. Amazing 3 years but got the impression that there is too much hand holding and less autonomy. Not a fan of helicopter parenting.

7) Emory University School of Medicine
Amazing program. Academic county with less community experience. Patient diversity limited yet still great pathology. Had a bad experience in atlanta with traffic.

8) Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
Great feel with the residents seemed like time split 50/30/20 stanford, kaiser, county. Driving traffic in the area was horrible.

9) Los Angeles County - Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Love the residents, the signout rounds teaching, the academic county vibe but parking seemed like an issue that I would not want to deal with for 4 years.

10) Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center / Olive View UCLA Medical Center
Great mix of academic and county split. Traffic was also horrendous. Residents were relaxed.

11) University of California San Francisco - San Francisco General Hospital
Similar feel to UCLA olive view but uncertainty with being newer and less reputation and alumni network.

12) Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
Work you to the bone/borderline negative atmosphere. Hardest clinical schedule of residency program.

13) Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital
Amazing reputation like many other programs but there was an elitist vibe and had a really off putting interview.

Rejected by: Temple, UCSF- Fresno, John's Hopkins, Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Brigham and Women's, Brown University,

Invited to interview, but declined: BIDMC, Yale, UNC, Cincinnati, UC Davis

Applicant Summary:
EM rotation grades: HP/HP
Medical school region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive: Lots of extracurriculars

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Fit with the residents and faculty. 3>4 year programs, prefer hot over cold weather

1) Maricopa Medical Center
Love the sense of Copa pride and the supportive environment to find niche. Amazing EM reputation. Welcome talk with PD was interactive. He loves the word Gestalt. best predinner and interview day lunch. They spare no expense.

2) University of California Irvine Medical Center
Small close resident faculty group.
PD had a great sell on why 3 years is the best. Great EM reputation for fast paced work environment with mix of county community and academics. Amazing u/s and meded. Super unique and pioneering designing escape room curriculum for resident education. Negatives are paying for parking.

3) Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Nice faculty and residents. Negatives are no caffeine or meat sold in hospital but you can bring them in for yourself. I didn't like inland empire as much as phoenix or orange county.

4) Orlando Regional Medical Center
Amazing reputation. Great resident camaraderie. integrated Peds and trauma are very strong. Prefer west coast over the south. Negative is floor month. Great food stipend and a lot of good food. Starbucks in hospital. 3rd year residents were some of the most impressive i have seen.

5) Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
Though I am not a fan of New York City, the program reputation is amazing and was told by adviser that it is in their opinion the best program in new york city for clinical training in 3 years. The housing stipend is nice but the area is still crazy expensive.

6) Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center
Super friendly residents with an innovative curriculum that benefits from being in D.C. I personally don't want to live in D.C.

7) Temple University School of Medicine
Really great time with the residents but the lack of interest with the interview with the Chief was off putting. Not a big fan of philly. Uber driver went through narrow streets and even hit another car's side mirror off. Tons of trauma but i prefer time spent more with medically sick patient than doing the trauma algorithm.

8) University of South Florida
Nice warm area with happy residents. faculty very invested with residents.

9) University of Florida - Jacksonville
Residents were really tired and worn out and seemed like there was little teaching and time for outside learning.

10) New York-Presbyterian - Queens
Really great food in the area but still not a big fan nyc and am not sure about reputation.

11) State University of New York - Stony Brook
While they have a great resident stipend, did not vibe well with interviewers.

12) University at Buffalo - SUNY Buffalo
Way too cold.

13) UT Southwestern Medical Center - Dallas
Biggest disappointment of the trail. Was really hoping to love this program but could not get over the feel that program was just huge and the most consult heavy of any other program. Not enough hands on learning. Doesn't have the county vibe like in the past. Not the best relationship with other services.

Rejected by: Hennepin, Carolinas, Indiana, Emory, Vanderbilt

Invited to interview, but declined: UC davis

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 250s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotation grades: H/H/P (Pass was in a Pass/Fail only rotation)
Anything else that made you more competitive: AOA. Significant volunteer experience. Luck.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL:
1. Location
2. Resident happiness (as much as can be deciphered from interview)
3. Quality of training
4. 3 > 4 to some degree (3 years means more likely to pursue a fellowship (particularly tox or peds which are both 2 years) or just make money vs 4 years = 5 elective months means I'm definitely going to do one or two abroad).

1) Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Brigham and Women's
Pros: Incredible faculty. Michael Van Rooyen is literally a superhuman. Their twitter feed looks like they have so much fun. Mentoring seemed very strong here, obviously amazing opportunities with Harvard name. Definitely a place that stresses "be a good ER doctor AND (fill in the blank)." Actually liked the residents, most seemed like nice normal smart people and not too Harvard-y. Tox seems strong.

Cons: ED's felt super claustrophobic, low ceilings, dark, scary tunnels. Section with people sitting up in normal chairs with IVs in arm, was told they are those with appendicitis, etc, who don't have a room. Realized I would rather encourage a family member to go to a community ED for their issue than to go to MGH ED since it just seemed like a ****show. 4 years. Residents said they really liked the MGH ED rotations, which implied they didn't like Brigham as much. Probably some truth to the rumors about many patients at Brigham being pre-differentiated admits from their oncologists. Peds overall felt weaker compared to some others with more integrated peds.

2) University of Massachusetts
Pros: such a sleeper program but was amazed to see it's in top 5 NIH funding for EM. PD is charismatic and now elected president of SAEM so that helps for networking. Residents super strong. Hawaii month in 3rd year. 3 years. ED spacious and natural lighting. Super strong tox.

Cons: residents seem to work most/hardest among programs I've seen. Trauma still always run by surgery - EM at head of bed and does FAST though. Limited elective time but expected for a 3 year. Not a big 'name.'

3) Boston Medical Center
Pros: this is THE REAL DEAL. Residents graduate capable of anything! Incredible alumni network. Nice social mission. THE county program for Boston (despite what MGH will tell you that they see as much county type pts). Name known in EM.

Cons: maybe too county? Significant percentage of homeless, non-native English speaker, etc which would make the day-to-date challenging. But that said, they do have a lot of resources in the ED (violence intervention, substance abuse workers) to assist. Residents seem tired? Hard to justify 4th year if name isn't "Harvard."

4) Maine Medical Center
Pros: amazingly nice people. Cool little city to live and work. Dedicated to education. Fewer other residencies to compete with for procedures, etc. Lobster.

Cons: low volume. Seems like ideal attending job/lifestyle, but looking for something a little more intense for training.

5) Baystate Medical Center
Pros: Big hospital (bigger than UMass?), nice residents, work-life balance seems way better than UMass. Near-ish to Northampton which is a cool town.

Cons: Location a little further from Boston. More trauma = less safe vs my other program locations?

6) University of Connecticut
Pros: nice, normal residents, the kind of people I'd love to hang out with.

Cons: location (not as ideal for me as Boston or nearby)

7) Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Beth Israel Deaconess
Pros: 3+1 format is awesome. Love the idea of half an attending salary and shifts (someone quoted me $120k) AND getting a Harvard MPH in optional 4th year. Location. Red Sox games.

Cons: Didn't jive with the residents. Felt very formal. Low patient volume. Lots of off-site rotations (but could be a positive in terms of making connections for jobs, feeling comfortable in other environments, etc).

8) Yale New Haven Medical Center
Pros: $, resources of an academic powerhouse. Nice smart residents. Solid clinical training.

Cons: New Haven, aside from area immediately surrounding undergrad campus, is not ideal.

Rejected by: Brown (still haven't heard)

Anything else to add: Reassuring process, realized wherever I end up EM people are fun to be around. Much more torn regarding 3 vs 4 years than I thought I'd be. Still may switch 1 and 2 depending on how that plays out, but hard to resist the name pull and resources of HAEMR. Really liked every co-applicant I met, not a single person I wouldn't want to grab a beer with after a shift. Met an attending who bunches his shifts then travels to Paris, etc one week a month so the dream is real!

Edit: Someone pointed out on the spreadsheet that this ROL seems to have all the content copy-pasted from multiple different reviews in last year's thread. To whoever did this: What made you this way? Didn't that take a lot of effort? Rather than delete everything, I'm going to throw it into a quote box in hopes that someone messages me an explanation or posts a mea culpa or something. I just don't get it.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 260s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotation grades: Honors/Honors
Medical school region: East coast
Anything else that made you more competitive: Volunteering, multiple publications, global medicine trips

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Reputation, fit, academic pursuit

1) McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
Pros: Probably the greatest “sell” of any program on interview day about how NU does more with 4 years than most other programs with their integrated curriculum seminars in professional development. Great ICU exposure with 8.5 blocks. Great Pediatric exposure: NU is a top 10 peds hospital and residents said they don't compete with pediatric fellows for procedures. Hospital is in the nicer east part of Chicago but still get’s a great trauma exposure. Even though U chicago now trauma level 1 it is chicago and there is more than enough trauma to go around. Also trauma is an algorithm so the medically complex sick patient that go to NU is more important to my clinical training.They make use of very strong off-service rotations (trauma at Cook County). PD is very transparent about alumni success, grads get very competitive jobs in great locations in both academics and community. NW did come across as the strongest “academic” program in Chicago. Though Gisondi left, Bailitz has many years at cook county and does a lot of hands on bed side teaching. Dr. Adams is CMO also and sold me on 4yr programs. NU is the 3rd oldest EM residency another top program enriched in history behind cincinatti and hennepin. Residents are very cool and down to earth. No floor months. Beautiful hospital in a great area. Probably the most impressive group of residents I have met, all very motivated, driven, fun.

Cons: No free parking, chicago is cold, traffic is bad if you want to drive but public transportation and bike system are amazing to compensate​

2) Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Brigham and Women's
PROS: Insane amount of opportunities to get involved in just about anything. Residents come out with amazing job aspects and are highly sought after. I was really impressed with how down to earth and fun the residents were - a ton of residents came to the night before and people (myself included) stayed very late. The faculty came across as very down-to-earth (and NOT snobby!) and I really appreciated both chairs taking the time to meet every single applicant one-on-one. Resident’s seem like they work very hard clinically, and they really like the variety of patients they see between the two main hospitals, with BWH having the more complex “plugged in” patients and MGH having the more “rugged” population (with that said - still nothing that compares to BMC or a true county population). Just about everyone spoke most highly about time at MGH. Fourth years run the most acute side of the MGH ED and get experience supervising EVERYONE. Integrated peds - and I think they do a good job of seeing using both MGH’s peds ed/PICU where you become more comfortable with the bread and butter and Boston Children’s where you see very rare things but is more fellow-driven. SO and I love Boston!

CONS: Program takes advantage of two major hospitals, but does not have as big a mission in treating the underserved as BMC. Felt like they compete with BMC for trauma in Boston. Boston Children’s has a very fellow driven culture - during the night before, some of the residents were telling stories about how they really had to tell fellows to get lost to prevent them from taking some of the procedural experience. Didactics don’t really follow a particular schedule and many residents state that they do their own thing to study.​

3) University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Pros: One of the more “classic” powerhouses in EM. This program has produced an insane number of PD’s, chairs, and leaders in the field. The program is very well thought-out with a large emphasis on graduated responsibility. First years get their feet wet, supervised by fourth years. Second years are proceduralists (+ or -) but still run their own 10 bed pod. Third years run the Resusc. bay. Fourth years supervise an entire pod, and teach med students/juniors. Resident’s spoke very highly of their flight program. Fantastic peds experience at Cinci Childrens Hospital (top 3 peds hospital). The program really puts on a strong show for the interviewees - they pay for your hotel, fancy dinner night before, etc. Awesome, cohesive group of residents. Had a bunch of residents reach out to me and it was nice to have that personal touch to the interview.

Cons: While Cinci is a powerhouse in EM, it did not feel like as big of an academic presence as some of my other interviews. Also, not a big fan of Ohio, although I admittedly thought the city was pretty cool and it feels very up and coming. Not much patient diversity in Cincinnati (very little spanish-speaking patients).​

4) Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
Pros: Amazing pathology and clinical training. Great didactic education with passionate educators. True knife+gun club. East LA is not that expensive, and you still have access to the fun stuff in LA (albeit with significant traffic). Residents are all laid back, super nice, and fun to be around; felt a strong "gut feeling" connection here.

Cons: Program has no money, so fewer opportunities for "fun" electives (e.g. international medicine). Mainly rotate at just LAC+USC, so it might be difficult to acclimate oneself to other, more financially robust patient population (for example, no exposure to the Kaiser system). 12-hour shifts (ugh).

5) Hospital of University of Pennsylvania
Pros: Amazing critical care and peds experience, seems like the best Ive seen. Former PD and New PD both seem very dedicated to education and teaching. Residents were ambitious, driven, and down to earth. Trauma bay and CHOP were probably the most impressed ive been on a hospital tour.

Cons: Wards medicine seems like a downer, but learning from UPenn faculty would probably be beneficial​

6) Yale New Haven Medical Center
Pros: also large primary hospital (~100k visits), again "county with resources" feel (using "county" to mean where the indigent patients go), again with a diverse patient population, similarly "the only game in town". Most impressive research, especially in med-ed. Very strong US, again with fellows reviewing QPath. J&J scholars program would be incredible if Global EM was my jam. Great sim, similar 4th year setup to develop niche. Ivory tower concerns should be mitigated knowing PD is a no-nonsense army guy.

Cons: didn't feel the same ownership of the ED/independence that Brown (among other programs) had. Rotate running trauma with surgery (complicated schedule). Really a tiny factor... location was the big drawback here.

7) Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
Pros: California dreaming. Has the academic reputation and research, strong job market for partner, and plenty of outdoor stuff to do.
mostly at San Jose - 2nd busiest ED in Cali (90k?). In broad strokes, has all research/academic support you could want. Country club reputation is unwarranted considering a majority of the patients you see are at the county hospital in San Jose. Consider Stanford and the other Kaiser site the finishing touches on a robust clinical experience that really allows you to see the full scope of EM. Unrealistically strong (but shouldn't we all shoot for the stars) safety net and outpatient coordination through the Kaiser system - would feel comfortable applying Hestia criteria to these patients. 4th year is NOT designed as a niche/academic development year - leadership really feels that it takes 4 years to learn EM.

Cons: commute was 2nd worst I experienced. Leadership schedules shifts so that you're opposite of the heavy-heavy-heavy-traffic, but I have a hard time believing there's not still in heavy traffic. 4 year program with less bang for your buck since it's not really designed to build a niche.

8) University of Maryland
Pro: Really strong emphasis on resident education and on shaping residents into future top educators in the world of EM; loved the morning conference/didactic we attended. Sick patient population at both main hospital and community site (very close by). Shock Trauma is great however trauma is separate from regular shifts. Baltimore is super affordable and has some great neighborhoods. Dr. Mattu is a leader in the field and other big names in the FOAM world.

Cons: Trauma not integrated, 12 hr shifts at main hospital

9) Temple University School of Medicine
Pros: Residents were friendliest I met on the interview trail, was clear they were a tight knit bunch; they all stayed after interview dinner to hang out together after the applicants filed out. Safety-net hospital with (some) resources feel; sick patients, tons of trauma/procedures. Trauma integrated into each shift so junior residents get comfortable with chest tubes/lines early on. Residents spoke highly of ICU months. CHOP for peds. Early responsibility, no hand holding. Dr. McNamara is a big name in the field and the current PD is great. CoL in Philly is awesome, great city.

Cons: Not many; perhaps lack of patient diversity, unsure how residents felt about their community sites​

10) Ohio State University Medical Center
Pros: Large academic medical center in a city that is the perfect size for me. Pediatric experience unparalleled. Hospital has the "pillar of community" feel. Huge focus on resident wellness, supportive PD/APDs. Great things to do in the city. Can live near the hospital, plus bike trails around city that connect very easily. Peds experience is unparalleled at one of the best children's hospitals in the country (Nationwide). SO has family in the area.

Cons: A little bit of a drive to decent outdoor activities although it is fairly reasonable.

11) SUNY Downstate/Kings County Hospital
Pros: What a training opportunity. Tons of volume, tons of sick patients, tons of everything. Lots of trauma. Love the mini-fellowships, seems like a cool way to dip your feet into something and learn a lot without necessarily needing to do a fellowship.

Cons: I like New York. I don't know if I "4 years" like New York. NY Nurses... but that doesn't bother me that much since I also want to be super good at simple things like lines and all that. I have no idea what the residents are like since only like 2-3 showed up for the dinner... which I've heard isn't a great sign.​

12) Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center / Olive View UCLA Medical Center
Pros: What a great bunch of residents. Really cool people that I definitely clicked with super well. Really cool faculty. Love UCLA and have some family history there. Living in Venice area in my 20s would be great. Good training, good mix of bread and butter w/ academics. It's in California, which is big for me to be near family.

Cons: I don't like LA, but it is California... and west LA is way more tolerable than most of LA. I also got a very weird vibe from some of the attendings, really stand-offish. Just have a gut feeling that I don't know how to interpret here. This has steadily slid down. I don't like the commute to Olive View one bit. I don't like 12s for all four years.​

Rejected by: carolinas, hennepin, UCSD, UCI, UC davis

Invited to interview, but declined: wake forest, UNC, duke, UTSW, NYU, UT Houston, ORMC

Last edited:
This is my favorite thread every year. Keep them coming. Always tons of insight. Man I wish I could pull back the curtain and show students the details of how a list shakes out on the other end for perspective.

This is my favorite thread every year. Keep them coming. Always tons of insight. Man I wish I could pull back the curtain and show students the details of how a list shakes out on the other end for perspective.

You could give a sample of students (made anonymous with relatively limited info or change characteristics) like your 1-10 or 25-30. Or just an example of what those typically look like and how you compare them, how you weigh the interview day, etc. I'm sure we would all enjoy something like that.

You could give a sample of students (made anonymous with relatively limited info or change characteristics) like your 1-10 or 25-30. Or just an example of what those typically look like and how you compare them, how you weigh the interview day, etc. I'm sure we would all enjoy something like that.

Yeah like do you go by fit first? How well you liked them in the interview? Or sloe comments/grades?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well if anyone is interested in how I score an app, its quite complicated. I review the apps and assign a score, 1-3 in the categories below. Each category is multiplied by a weighted multiplier. So for something that doesn't matter much, like preclinical grades, the multiplier is 1.0. For SLOEs, its 4.0. I change and tweak the multipliers from time to time at the beginning of the season, I'm always trying to figure out a perfect algorithm based on the previous year.

Preclinical Grades
Clinical Grades
Class Rank
Board Scores
Leadership
Personal Experience / Rotation at my hospital
SLOE 1
SLOE 2
Interview Score

The two biggest parts of the score after the weighting is, by far and away, each SLOE and the interview score.

At the end the app is given a total score, and the rank list starts out just in order of total score. Then we juggle it from there based on our gut feeling. Someone everyone loved on the interview trail who say has an app score of 40, may jump ahead of someone with an app score of 45 who everyone was luke warm on. There's no good way to do this part, its somewhat subjective.

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah like do you go by fit first? How well you liked them in the interview? Or sloe comments/grades?

I'm probably going to try something this year to factor in "fit" better, then compare the two lists. The original, and a modified list to predict "fit". Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take anyone who was deemed DNR, and remove them. The rest of the list will be divided into quartiles by their app score. Within each quartile (20 students), the candidates will be ranked in order of their interview score, not their total app score. I think ultimately this will lead to a list that we would have to juggle around less subjectively. Basically it creates four tiers, but within the tiers, the students are ranked more by "fit". We'll see how the list compares to the original this year, and see if something like this would actually do a better job of predicting our final list.

Sorry, I really geek out on the process...

By the way, I should probably say, I don't know what most programs do in terms of ranking applications, but I doubt many go quite to the level I do in terms of trying to break down the app into a score. I'm sure some just organize people subjectively. Some probably have a more basic scoring system. Maybe something like this is more common than I know. Who knows, its all just speculation on my end. I just know what I do.

Well if anyone is interested in how I score an app, its quite complicated. I review the apps and assign a score, 1-3 in the categories below. Each category is multiplied by a weighted multiplier. So for something that doesn't matter much, like preclinical grades, the multiplier is 1.0. For SLOEs, its 4.0. I change and tweak the multipliers from time to time at the beginning of the season, I'm always trying to figure out a perfect algorithm based on the previous year.

Preclinical Grades
Clinical Grades
Class Rank
Board Scores
Leadership
Personal Experience / Rotation at my hospital
SLOE 1
SLOE 2
Interview Score

The two biggest parts of the score after the weighting is, by far and away, each SLOE and the interview score.

At the end the app is given a total score, and the rank list starts out just in order of total score. Then we juggle it from there based on our gut feeling. Someone everyone loved on the interview trail who say has an app score of 40, may jump ahead of someone with an app score of 45 who everyone was luke warm on. There's no good way to do this part, its somewhat subjective.

@gamerEMdoc I love you. Am I allowed to say that on here?

By the way, I should probably say, I don't know what most programs do in terms of ranking applications, but I doubt many go quite to the level I do in terms of trying to break down the app into a score. I'm sure some just organize people subjectively. Some probably have a more basic scoring system. Maybe something like this is more common than I know. Who knows, its all just speculation on my end. I just know what I do.

Out of curiosity - to what extent do you take resident input on applicants into consideration in the ranking process?

Out of curiosity - to what extent do you take resident input on applicants into consideration in the ranking process?

I dont want to hihack the ROL thread, If anyone has questions about the rank list process, use the ama thread and leave this one to student rank lists before the mods get mad at me!

But to answer this question, after we have the list ordered by app score we have a long meeting with the residents and faculty together where we present the data on each individual candidate and get feedback about moving people up and down. Then leadership meets again and we finalize everything based on that feedback.

7) Temple University School of Medicine
Really great time with the residents but the lack of interest with the interview with the Chief was off putting. Not a big fan of philly. Uber driver went through narrow streets and even hit another car's side mirror off. Tons of trauma but i prefer time spent more with medically sick patient than doing the trauma algorithm.

Temple University Hospital treats somewhere around 90,000 patients per year and only 2-3000 are actually trauma. It gets talked up because of all the procedures and the high number of penetrating trauma, but you will spend a ton more time with sick medical patients than trauma patients.

Also, are you speaking of the chair or a chief resident? If you're speaking of the chair, it would be a privilege to train under such a leader and staunch advocate for the specialty (locally and nationally). He may not be cuddly, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that doesn't think highly of him there (and elsewhere). He's well respected within the program and by hospital leadership. (Also, there's something so Philadelphia about your Uber experience that it kinda warms my heart.)

Also, are you speaking of the chair or a chief resident? If you're speaking of the chair, it would be a privilege to train under such a leader and staunch advocate for the specialty (locally and nationally). He may not be cuddly, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that doesn't think highly of him there (and elsewhere). He's well respected within the program and by hospital leadership.
If the OP is complaining about Bob I'll be so sad.

Jonesing for some detailed pros/cons on programs.

Everyone come to my program so we can hang out.
Yo @doggydog where you at so I can rank #1. This rank list thread is so weak compared to yours from last year dawg. @surely filled your shoes nicely and is doing great tho.

Yo @doggydog where you at so I can rank #1.

If any long-time SDNers wanna confidentially PM me the name of their program, I'd love to use it as a tiebreaker between some of the deadlocked programs on my list. Lookin' at you, @doggydog

This rank list thread is so weak compared to yours from last year dawg. @surely filled your shoes nicely and is doing great tho.

Hey! We only have one fewer ROL than they did this time last year, and the crappy spreadsheet chat has at least siphoned off a lot of the chit-chat. It's still early. The Class of 2018 will come through and make this the best ROL thread of all time, you'll see.

I just want to emphasize all of the above posts.

1. Where are the cool SDN Pgy1s? Plz PM why your program rocks and I will hope its somewhere on my list!!
2. Interviewed at Temple and Bob Mac was amazing and making him smile during his challenging interview was the highlight of my interview season lol :D
3. The class of 2018 ROL thread will come through. A lot of us havnt finished interviewing yet and still others are waiting until after Feb 21st to post their lists. Excited to see everyone's in due time. Especially @surely 's hehe

If any long-time SDNers wanna confidentially PM me the name of their program, I'd love to use it as a tiebreaker between some of the deadlocked programs on my list. Lookin' at you, @doggydog

Hey! We only have one fewer ROL than they did this time last year, and the crappy spreadsheet chat has at least siphoned off a lot of the chit-chat. It's still early. The Class of 2018 will come through and make this the best ROL thread of all time, you'll see.

If @surely you wanna confidentially PM me where you're thinking of going, I'd love to use it as a tiebreaker between some of the deadlocked programs on my list haha. Anyone who matches in your intern class will be super lucky!