[2017-2018] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you this fun sober? I like (most) of our ER staff. They are fun and hard working. I worked in your area. Gave me a great appreciation for John O'Hara novels. Other than that...Quaker Steak and Lube?
I'm always a good time. The QSL in Greenville, SC, was the only place I could get a "North and South" - Yukon Jack and Southern Comfort, over ice, in a shot. And, at the National Wing Fest, I did the QSL challenge, which was whatever was their hottest wing X3, and got the T-shirt!!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you this fun sober? I like (most) of our ER staff. They are fun and hard working. I worked in your area. Gave me a great appreciation for John O'Hara novels. Other than that...Quaker Steak and Lube?
"Sir, you are drunk!" "Madame, you are ugly. However, tomorrow, I shall be sober, but you will still be ugly!"

- Winston Churchill, again, quote or paraphrase.

Another one - his recipe for a martini - "A pitcher full of gin, and a dismissive glance at the vermouth".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted by @b52bombdotcom via Google Form.

Step 1: 220s, Step 2: 240s
EM rotation grades: Honors / High Pass / High Pass
Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha: No
Medical school region: Southeast
Anything else that made you more competitive?:
GHHS
I think my first SLOE was almost perfect straight Top 1/3's
Got quite a few comments on my personal statement
I interview well (which makes me sound like a turd, but I'm just a likeable gal)
Traditional student, but lots of real world, crappy job experience

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL:
Close to home (family stuff going on), plus keep my husband close to his family
Community>>>>
Huge interest in rural medicine, don't want to go somewhere where we consult for everything
Couldn't care less about research
Want an ED with good throughput so I can work on my throughput
Want to be surrounded by clever, cool and chill people

1) OH -- Wright State University
Did an away there and loved it. I like that you rotate at 3 huge hospitals with different patient populations. You're treated very well. Work with lots of faculty. Impressive sim instruction. A community program in a surprisingly sick area of the country.

2) TN -- University of Tennessee - Nashville
It broke my heart to rank them #2 (can you just have two #1's?)
An unopposed EM program in a hospital that has 93k ED volume? Jackpot. Awesome, super likeable faculty. Small-town feel only a half hour away from Nashville. This program is a gem if you're interested in real-world, community medicine.

3) WV -- West Virginia University
Badass rural track. (can spend up to 6 months at rural/outside community hospitals), sweet faculty and ultrasound focus, PD was awesome, residents were hilarious and cool.

Serious college town though. -5 points

4) NC -- Wake Forest University
Didn't expect to love it as much as I did. Despite the name, they have a very "real world" feel even though they're more academic than my taste. I was really impressed by how sharp but super approachable all the residents were. Pretty town. Awesome black scrubs. I'd be happy.

5) SC -- Greenville Health System
Did an away there. It was my least favorite away but I was also burnt out because it was my last away. I impulsively moved this up on the 21st and I'm not sure why. Awesome new program with awesome new, young, super excited faculty. They want us and it's pretty awesome. A liiiiitle too much of a hippie vibe, but everyone was super nice. Only concern was that I didn't vibe with the interns.... but they were interns just trying to survive, so I think it's tough for me to expect them to interact like upper levels. Awesome pathology and volume. Cool, young, little town. I'd be happy.

6) AR -- University of Arkansas
WHY IS THIS PROGRAM SO FAR AWAY FROM FAMILY AT SUCH A BAD TIME. This program was home to my favorite residents/residents' spouses. I really liked the people and the program. I would have been super happy here, in another life. Lots of trauma, probably the healthiest relationship I saw with trauma surgery. I'd love living in Arkansas, but I get that I'm probably a minority lol.

7) KY -- University of Kentucky
My home institution.
I got beef with UK as a whole but I'll be the first to tell you that this ED is hopping and you'll see some serious **** here. And the faculty is amazing. You should apply here/rotate here. They mine procedures for 4th years like it's no one's business. People here love to teach. Lots and lots of sick people.
But as a whole, I'm so over UK it's not even funny.

Parking and food are embarrassingly bad, btw.

8) KY -- University of Louisville
I feel guilty for ranking them so low. The trial by fire concept, I think, is badass. They want you to run the ED.

I just really don't want to live in Louisville too. I'm not a city girl.

9) OH -- Ohio State University Medical Center
So much focus on research. Chief resident admitted she hadn't really reduced/set any of her patient's fractures. They page for everything and admit it. Ultrasound seemed badass but it was so not worth it for me. I felt like black sheep during the entirety of my interview. Super disappointing, went into thinking it could be my #1

Applied to:

Withdrew from before hearing anything:
UT- Chattanooga, UT - Memphis, Indiana University, Augusta GA, Grand Strand, University of Virginia, Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Madison

Rejected by:
Vanderbilt (twice), Carolinas, University of Southern Florida, Cincinnati

Invited to interview, but declined:
University of Missouri, East Carolina, LSU- Baton Rouge, University of Mississippi, University of Oklahoma, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, University of Washington, Carilion Roanoke, Med Univ of SC, Palmetto, AL Birmingham, Doctor's Hospital

Submitted anonymously via Google Form.

Step 1: 240s-260s, Step 2: 240s-260s
EM rotation grades: Honors / Honors / Honors
Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha:
Medical school region: West of the Mississippi
All SLOEs top 10% per multiple interviewers
Significant research, leadership, and extracurricular experience; publications; expertise in niche field, relevant to EM; unique personal statement that was brought up in multiple interviews

I love SDN (minus the showboating and neuroticism). Past rank list threads helped me think about and finalize my own. I want to pay it forward. However, I’m sorry I can’t be more specific. My ECs/past work make me easily identifiable, and I understandably don’t want to risk what happened last year.

This theme has been brought up year after year in these rank list threads: EM has changed. It’s continuing to change. And well-known academic programs with seemingly infinite resources, a well-oiled research infrastructure, and multi-disciplinary partnerships are and will continue to disproportionately influence what EM will look like tomorrow, and 10, 20, and 100 years from now.

As of now, I want to go into academic medicine. The most important criteria for me is clinical training. I want to be a “badass” ER doc first and foremost. Rotated at super county and super academic programs. After dozens upon dozens of multiple GSWs, stabbings, MVCs, PVCs, etc., I fall in the camp that trauma is super algorithmic, so it was less important to me.

Clinical training >>> impact in the field, specifically in my niche = track record in academics >> location (SO is picky) > fit (I got along with all the residents for the most part – EM attracts down-to-earth people)

1) MA -- Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Brigham and Women's
This program trains badass ER docs. I know, it’s hard to believe, because it’s “Hah-vuhd”. Like you, I was very skeptical, and if I only went with what I saw and heard on the interview day, I wouldn’t believe it. But I know people who trained there, and I've seen them in action--they are phenomenal. Faculty at my institution who have worked with HAEMR grads say only the best things. MGH really does see the full gamut of rich to poor, and seniors manage multiple critically ill, medically complex patients on the A side; BWH sees super sick cancer patients, but disproportionately so, and I could tell the residents thought their MGH experience was higher yield than BWH (I hope this changes with the new ED expansion). Two powerhouse (1 shot?) institutions for EM research and academics. Leading experts in every niche of EM (including mine). Research that comes out of here changes how EM is practiced. Opens more doors to academic faculty positions than any other program. The program is very highly regarded nationally. One of the best EM programs in the nation. ED faculty in executive level positions in the hospitals, so EM has a bigger presence there than other equally academic programs.

Cons: Low yield for someone going community, as the program’s emphasis is training academic leaders. COLD. Three snowstorms in one winter? Why would ANYONE live there voluntarily? Huge blow to quality of life for someone used to beautiful sunshine all year long. SO is not thrilled about winters. Already have buyer’s remorse hearing about the weather and COL. Less trauma than LA County type programs, diverted equally between multiple Trauma 1 medical centers.

2) CA -- University of California San Francisco - San Francisco General Hospital
I get it. This place is magical. Given how ridiculously strong the program is, you’d have a hard time believing it started in 2008. Exposure to top tier academic medicine, the best off-service training, and the only Level 1 trauma center in SF. A lot of faculty at SFGH trained at Highland/legendary county programs, and SFGH sees a ridiculous amount of trauma, so you get the best combination of academic + county. Arguably the world leader in asynchronous EM education and medical education innovation with Michelle Lin and ALiEM (no other program even comes close). Outstanding clinical training, supportive faculty, a down-to-earth West Coast vibe, and infinite resources and mentorship for whatever you want to do. Sign me up. It’s no surprise to me that UCSF has risen to the top tier and attracts the very best applicants. It will train leaders in the field, just like HAEMR. Also, weather, food, and diversity are second to none.

Cons: I already have pangs of regret ranking this #2. In the end, HAEMR was stronger in my niche field, so that swayed me. Departmental status, but shares trauma airways with anesthesia, which was a big NO-NO for me and a major weakness of the program. These are basic turf wars that every EM program should have already fought and won (get on this!!!). COL is insane.

3) CA -- Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
The program I was head over heels in love with since I was a pre-med. One of the legendary Godfathers of emergency medicine, and easily the most famous (Code Black documentary and series). You come out of this program a clinical boss. Arguably the best didactic medical education, maybe tied with Vandy? I love their social mission—absolutely love it. Expanding community rotation sites, which is a big plus, and they are trying to secure more research and elective funding. They do outstanding work, and I hate myself for ranking them #3.

Cons: Times have changed, and they recognize this. The unopposed reign of the County programs and the era of the ED cowboys is fading away. As great as this program is, they don't have a lot of money for research or innovative initiatives, and LA County bureaucracy makes this even harder. These problems aren’t going to go away any time soon.

4) CA -- Stanford University Medical Center/Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
The dark horse for me. The perfect combination of academic + county + community. Stanford medicine boasts some of the best quaternary care and off-service training. Santa Clara Valley is hardcore county. Kaiser is THE community hospital network in California. Nearly infinite resources. If they have a problem, they just sprinkle money on it, and the problem gets solved. Prioritizes wellness and mentorship, and plenty of elective time to grow your niche. Without a doubt, Stanford is a top tier academic EM residency program.

Cons: The rotation sites are outstanding—the amount of time spent at each site is sub-optimal. You only spend ~25% at SCVMC which is insane. That place is trauma and procedure heaven. Supremely unimpressed with the Silicon Valley ED population, and not excited to spend ~50% of my training there. Residents complained of lack of procedure experience at main site. Excited about getting community exposure at Kaiser. If residents could rotate 1/3 of the time at each site, this program would be closer to perfection. Traffic and COL are horrendous. Recent transition to 4 years, with new ED expansion--growing pains for sure.

5) CA -- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center / Olive View UCLA Medical Center
Similar to UCSF, but less resources and less true county exposure. Residents boasted having best post-residency employment + salary in the LA area, which I can believe. LA is a great place to live, but traffic sucks. Best food, weather, and diversity in the nation. Excellent research infrastructure and mentorship. The Westwood patient population is not very exciting…long commute between sites, especially Antelope Valley Canyon. Did not connect with PD very well.

6) CA -- Los Angeles County - Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Another great program. Outstanding clinical training, but suffers from the same problems as LAC-USC. Primarily single site. Off-service training likely not as good. Interview was disorganized, and residents seemed disengaged from interviewees, more so than any other program. Loved the PD and my interviewers. Loved the patient population and social mission. No money for research or innovative initiatives. LA County bureaucracy is a barrier to change.

7) MA -- Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Beth Israel Deaconess
3+1 model rocks. Great brand and plenty of resources for whatever you want to do. Strong academic and community exposure. Home grown EMR is plus/minus (plus for me). Would be happy to train here. Lower down because of the weather. Overshadowed by BWH/MGH & BMC?

8) RI -- Brown University
An outstanding New England program with a great national reputation. Lots of resources (very strong in my niche), but less so than HAEMR and Yale programs. Clinical training is top notch with a huge catchment area. Biggest downside is the location. Cold weather + Rhode Island? No gracias.

9) CT -- Yale New Haven Medical Center
Another fantastic New England program with a great national reputation. Love the split between Yale’s main campus and Bridgeport. I got the sense clinical training was outstanding, and the residents were very happy and proud to be there. Academic resources galore. New Haven is a tough sell to the SO, and even to me.

10) CA -- University of California San Francisco/ Fresno
It’s like LAC-USC but in a more affordable, rural area and with a bigger boarding problem. Outstanding clinical training and emphasis on teaching. Residents were really cool, but not the most diverse. Off-service rotations probably weaker. Affiliation with UCSF, and one of the best county programs, but doesn’t have the academic resources as its sister campus in SF.

11) CA -- Alameda Health System - Highland Hospital
Another legendary county program in Oakland. I think you guys are seeing a theme here. Clinical training is outstanding, but research resources are limited. I love the Highland mission and the people. Drank the kool-aid, and it tasted amazing. Would love to train here. SO was not thrilled with the location, so lower down.

12) CO -- Denver Health
We all know this legendary program. Clinical training is outstanding (my favorite word, and I’m very tired at this point). But you know what? The residents looked SO TIRED. They are worked very, very hard, and the program embraces a surgery style culture, which I don’t jive with. You don’t have to work that hard to be good, and I really want to have plenty of time to develop my own unique niche and differentiate myself. I also highly value my quality of life and time with my SO, and I don’t want to compromise that. DH loses a lot of top talent by embracing this culture.

Anything else to add?
You guys will all become great ER doctors no matter where you go. These are just my opinions, and regardless of what you think of them, I hope they help you (or at least entertain you). May the Force be with you this Friday.

Rejected by:
Duke (wut?)

Pittsburg, Cincinnati (love this program—trained so many legends, academic resources, but location and lack of ethnic diversity within and outside program was a deal breaker for SO), Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Emory, University of Washington, UPenn, Temple, UCI, UCD, UCSD, BMC, Northwestern, University of Chicago, NYP, Jacobi, Sinai, NYU, U of Maryland (this one hurt—SO didn’t want to live in Baltimore)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Turns out what I may have been speaking the truth about SLOEs all along...

Been saying the AOA match wasn't REALLY that viable of an option this year and that the chances were better ACGME. The people that matched AOA took a risk their programs make it through. Be happy you got passed over by the AOA at this point. Next years class REALLY has to think long and hard about going the AOA route.
Further confirming this, I just matched at my #2, a former AOA program. If you are a borderline applicant, really look hard at those former AOA DO programs in the ACGME as your best bet.

Reactions: 3 users
Further confirming this, I just matched at my #2, a former AOA program. If you are a borderline applicant, really look hard at those former AOA DO programs in the ACGME as your best bet.

So are all DO programs accepting MD applicants now, or just some?

So are all DO programs accepting MD applicants now, or just some?

AOA programs that switched to ACGME can take both. The majority of AOA programs from 5 years ago have switched over and are now ACGME and are taking both. There are still a handful of AOA programs left that will be DO only, but not many.

EM rotation grades: High Pass / Honors / High Pass
Medical school region: Midwest
Anything else that made you more competitive?: Strong SLOE from my first away. Lots of volunteer work and involvement in student organizations outside of the medical school.

Location, 3>4 years, how I "fit" with the current residents and faculty

1) AR -- University of Arkansas
Love the area, loved the faculty. Wife has connections with the area for a job. It was hard deciding between UAMS and UNMC for #1.

2) NE -- University of Nebraska Medical Center
I'm considering sports medicine fellowship and UNMS has the most exposure to sports med of any program I interviewed at, with a fellowship trained sports med doc on EM staff. Omaha has a lot going for it, except for the cold winters. Felt at home at the interview dinner.

3) MO -- Truman Medical Center/University of MO Kansas City
Rotated here. Faculty are engaging and love to teach. Residents were close with each other and I fit in well there. KC is the closest location to family which is a huge plus.

4) KS -- University of Kansas School of Medicine
Honestly KU moved up to #4 only because of its location. Nothing really overly impressed me on the interview day or at the dinner. PD did take the time to know every applicant's name prior to meeting us which was nice.

5) TN -- University of Tennessee College of Medicine Chattanooga
Small but cool program. Faculty and residents very close. Hospital has a chick-fil-a and starbucks in it! Chattanooga is a beautiful location and would love to live there if it wasn't so far from family.

6) KY -- University of Louisville
Residents super happy and close. Solid didactics experience. Lots of autonomy given to residents and forced to see all patients coming through the ED, which could be a plus or minus depending on the type of person you are.

7) MO -- University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine
New and expanding program. Getting a new ED soon. This program higher on list due to location.

8) SC -- Palmetto Health Richland
Program allows residents to move schedules around to create more time to do international rotations which is awesome. Huge volume ED and nice perks to residents because it is a private group affiliated with USC.

9) IL -- University of Illinois College of Medicine/St. Francis Medical Center at Peoria
Free food. Free insurance for the family. Lots of perks on top of resident salary that we take for granted. Peoria though...

10) MO -- St Louis University School of Medicine
Lots of trauma. Getting a new hospital in 2020.

11) MO -- Washington University St. Louis/Barnes-Jewish Hospital
FOUR YEARS.... residents even joked about the 4th year being a "prettending" year. PD is cool. Didn't like the other applicants they invited - gunner city.

12) IL -- Southern Illinois University
I rotated here and LOVED it - great faculty, lots of procedures, residents are so happy, an amazing sim lab, lots of perks. But this is a shared decision with my wife and she has no job opportunities in Springfield. Disappointed at ranking it last.

Applied to:

None

none

EM rotation grades: Honors / High Pass / Honors / Pass
Medical school region: East coast
Prior work experience, foreign volunteer works
Things that didn't help:
DO
comlex score dropping 80~ points. Unsure if MD programs even look if you have step, but this could have been a negative. Last away was Honors or pass and I passed, I feel like this could have hurt my chances of matching but I received all my interviews before this was posted, so unlikely that it changed the number of interviews I would have received

3>4 year
fit with residents
looking for that trial by fire educational experience
county>academic
1) TX -- CHRISTUS Health / Texas A&M
Pros:
The residents here were by far the most fun and down to earth people I met along the trail. There is a mix of family/single residents and when possible they generally hang out outside of work. It seemed like a blue collar, work hard group of guys and gals that want to have fun, and I respect that. Unopposed and no hand holding, I saw an intern cric a patient on my first day and there were two ED thoracotomies during the month I rotated here. So yes, there is plenty of action in this sleepy little beach town. Apparently the fishing is insane down here, and I love being outside so the idea of finding a cheap house near the water AND to work was icing on the cake. Training is more of a 'lets fix/help, then consult" mentality which I dig, instead of losing all my reductions to ortho.

Oh, and the fact that its TX??

Cons:
If you are looking for a shiny new ED and lots of support this is not your ED, expect to work.
T sheets/Mediturd

2) KY -- University of Louisville
Pros:
I think I actually had more fun on my Louisville rotation than TX. My entire rotation here was incredible. I did my first chest tube and I loved the true county feel of this place. Hallway beds with pts faces falling off from massive traumas, Multiple Room9's at once while it seemed the rest of the world was burning down. I will be absolutely stoked if I end up here, and looking back I remember how hard of a decision it was not to list it first. The residents were super cool, one guy brought me to local breakfast bar place after a long night shift. I honestly think the negative opinions posted about the city must be from UK fans or people that never left their hotel room, because Louisville is LEGIT! There are some truly cool things going on in this modern, hip town. (For any future M4s rotating here, lookup Hammerhead's and get an Elk burger for me)

Oh, and they use EPIC and have scribes ;)

Cons:
They take 1 DO/year so that's a bummer

3) FL -- University of Florida - Jacksonville
Pros:
Just as county as Louisville, but I felt a little bit more of a divide between surgery and EM. Surgery would kick students out of trauma bays so that might have factored in to my gut's feelings on the subject. Honestly though, loved the shop here. Residents were absolute rockstars, and I would be proud to graduate from this program. Nearby beaches, food scene good, bar scene really good. The group of students rotating were awesome so there were plenty of outings to beach/bars/football games. Sims lab good, peds in house. DO friendly. Hard work makes a good doctor, and they work you hard here. (read: quantity/acuity/hours working) Use EPIC.

Cons:
hard work, the trial by fire

4) GA -- Medical College of Georgia
Pros:
Blue collar mentality, fun interview dinner and I instantly meshed with the crew that showed up. To me, the vibes have a somewhat large sway in where I ranked. Big warm fuzzies the whole time, it was good to be back in GA. Best interview questions so far (it was legitimately fun in there). Cool fellowship options, well established foreign rotations which is a big plus. Tactical medicine sounds fun, I like how the campus is set up and we got a tour of the sims facility/med school. WOW. Plus I could be close to family, who knew I would start to miss them so much?? haha

5) IL -- Southern Illinois University
Pros:
Pleasantly surprised with facilities, they are very proud of their SIM lab and should be. Liked the town, it seemed small but had a couple cool spots to eat or get coffee. Heavy emphasis on ICU which I liked. Residents super cool, one of few places that actually invited us out to drinks after dinner. (this def wins points in my book...I want guys I can hang out with). I dig the midwest so there's that too.

Cons:
Nothing big

6) LA -- Louisiana State University - Shreveport
Pros:
I liked Shreveport a LOT, its such a (good) weird little town. The neighboring towns have plenty of cheap places to live and the people remind me of my friends back home. The hospital has a unique layout that I LOVE, and they have plenty of sick people. For those (like me) who had never heard of Shreveport, its like a mini-Vegas. There are casinos, and people travel from around to go party here. There's music, big festivals, and pathology in abundance. Would be very pumped to end up here.

Cons:
Its hot down south

7) RI -- UNECOM - Kent Hospital
Pros:
Wow, the residents here were on par with Corpus for fun, friendly and cool. I loved the hip little city of Providence and was surprised by how much I loved the program. They have some big name Hospitals that you would rotate with at various points that could be pretty sweet. VERY sold program that I almost blew off (Interview was right before xmas)

Cons:
4 year - if not for this, would be top 3

8) OH -- Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center
Pros:
APD/PD and the highups were super cool, very interested in resident health. They do regular activities such as paintball, and all kinds of fun stuff that looked like a cool group to join.

Cons:
Its Toledo

9) MS -- University of Mississippi
Pros:
Cheap living, nearby lake. Southern food. Pt population is incredible, so many sick and dying people. Very busy. Training here would no doubt be incredible.

Cons:
its Jackson, MS

10) NC -- Campbell University/Cape Fear Valley
Pros:
120~ beds
all the ingredients to be an good residency. Plenty of sick people with diverse pt population. Not far from water. Military base nearby lend to good ortho trauma rotation apparently? The opportunity to help shape a residency from the ground up.

Cons:
4 years
Seemed confused during interview that I was applying through NRMP, and multiple interviewers were surprise when I told them I had taken the Step. I think they only accept one through NRMP and majority through AOA match...seemed sloppy, but I got good vibes with the place.

Anything else to add?
Sorry for being so long winded, but I guess it makes up for all the lurking I have done. I owe SDN at least this much.

I applied to only programs that have taken DO's in the past with the exception of 2 or 3. I had 3 decent SLOE's ready to roll Oct 15, and applied to over 80 spots for a total of 10 interviews, 4 of which I rotated at.

Applied to:
80+

none

Step 1: 250s, Step 2: 250s
EM rotation grades: High Pass / High Pass / Honors /
Medical school region: Midwest

Couples matched with a SO looking for a very specific type of program

1) PA -- Hospital of University of Pennsylvania
Pros- great young leadership. clicked with the residents. nice facilities. multiple sites but very close together. get to do peds at CHOP. critical care type unit in the ED

Cons- 12s as an intern. EM reputation not as great as other programs. Lots of other Philly programs.

2) RI -- Brown University
Pros- great busy ED with large catchman area. Variety of pathology and patient diversity that I had not expected. Enthusiastic PD.

Cons- Providence

3) IL -- John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
Pros- would be my #1 if my significant other wasn't a factor. Love the feel of a county program. The leadership is great, residents the most diverse and interesting I have met. Great trauma. Customized scrubs.

Cons- being a county program, a fair amount of scut work, but I am willing to do that for a few years to get great training. General medicine rotations.

4) MO -- Washington University St. Louis/Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Pros- An academic center with a lot of resources but still seeing the low SES, trauma patients. Great didactics and leadership.St. Louis with great cost of living.

Cons- st.louis not my favourite city,

5) MI -- University of Michigan
Pros- like Ann Arbor. "ICU" type unit in the ED. get paid $$

Cons- didn't have a great interview day. limited patient diversity in Ann arbor. Not thrilled about driving to flint.

6) PA -- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Pros- 3 years. Great reputation in the EM world

Cons- residents might be over-worked. didn't get to spend much time with the PD. Pittsburg

7) PA -- Thomas Jefferson University

8) NY -- SUNY Downstate/Kings County Hospital

9) IL -- University of Illinois Hospital - Chicago

10) MA -- University of Massachusetts

11) IL -- Advocate Christ Medical Center

12) NY -- New York Presbyterian Hospital

13) PA -- Albert Einstein Medical Center

14) IL -- Presence Resurrection Medical Center

15) MN -- Hennepin County Medical Center
Would be in the top if my partner had liked a Minnesota program.

16) MO -- St Louis University School of Medicine

17) PA -- Allegheny General Hospital

18) IL -- Rush University Medical Center
This program will be great in a few years. Didn't really want a new program though. The ED seems fairly slow. PD seems great.

Rejected by:
HAERM, BIDMC, Temple, Uchicago, Cincinnati, Denver, UCSF, Standford, UCLA, Georgetown

UMaryland, Hofstra SI, OHSU, Johns Hopkins

Members don't see this ad :)

Step 1: 240s, Step 2: 250s
EM rotation grades: One Pass/Fail only, One Honors
Medical school region: Northeast
Anything else that made you more competitive?: Top 10% SLOE, probably top quartile of class, interesting extracurriculars, non-trad.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location, fit, reputation. Would like to be in NYC. No preference between 3 and 4.

1) NY -- Mount Sinai School of Medicine - New York
Pros:
-Location. Strong preference for NYC.
-Awesome clinical training. Residents come out prepared to do anything.
-Not as much trauma as Jacobi or SUNY, but more than NYU or SLR as far as I'm aware.
-Great dichotomy between academics at Mt. Sinai and county feel at Elmhurst.
-Cool residents, PD, APDs.
-Subsidized housing.

Cons:
-Commute. If living in subsidized housing near Sinai, takes about an hour to get to Elmhurst by subway.
-Stuff endemic to all NYC programs (poor ancillary staff, boarding, crowded EDs, lack of peds exposure).
-12s, but I think it's 18-17-16-15 from PGY1 to PGY4, which seems doable.

2) MA -- Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Brigham and Women's
Pros:
-Haaahvard name and reputation.
-Academic powerhouse.
-Surprisingly down-to-earth residents.
-Acute care area at MGH is a ****ing blast.
-I like Boston a lot. Don't mind cold or snow.

Cons:
-Consultants up the wazoo. To my understanding, there are policies in place at both hospitals that require residents to consult for certain things they would do by themselves elsewhere.
-Essentially zero community EM experience.
-Not a ton of trauma, as far as I know. Less than BMC, but more than BIDMC I believe.

3) MA -- Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Beth Israel Deaconess
Pros:
-3+1
-Very cool residents.
-Liked the PD, APDs.
-More community experience than at MGH/BWH.
-Boston

Cons:
-Maybe not as academically strong as MGH/BWH program, but still great.
-I don't think they get a ton of trauma.

4) IL -- University of Chicago Medicine
Pros:
-With new ED opening up, I'm sure they're going to have an insane trauma experience.
-Flight medicine.
-Old program with extensive alumni network.
-Babcock.

Cons:
-Uncertainty that comes with new ED opening up.
-While Chicago seems like it has a ton to offer, it ain't the east coast.

5) DC -- Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center
Pros:
-Biggest is location. I love DC.
-Solid clinical training, though nothing in particular I can point out that separates it from other programs.

Cons:
-Thought some of the residents were a little weird.
-Interview with PD was a little awk.
-DC traffic is rough.

6) MD -- University of Maryland
Pros:
-Shock trauma.

Cons:
-Baltimore. It has its charms, but 3 years is a long time.

7) CT -- Yale New Haven Medical Center
Pro:
-Between academic experience at Yale and crazy county stuff at Bridgeport, seems like a well-rounded experience.
-Emphasis on critical care.
-Crazy big NIH research grant.
-PD is a badass.

Cons:
-New Haven.
-Commute to Bridgeport seems rough.

8) CO -- Denver Health
Pros:
-Reputation, clinical training, etc.

Cons:
-If I recall, on-service schedules are 2 8s in the morning, 2 8s in the evening, then 2 8s overnights, with one day off after this to recharge before repeating the whole thing. And these 8s are actually more like 9s or 10s because of the culture of "tying up your own loose ends." That just seems unnecessary.
-Denver seems like a great city in some ways, but it very, very far away from anyone I know. This social isolation combined with such an insane work schedule seems like a recipe for sadness.

9) PA -- Hospital of University of Pennsylvania
Pros:
-Strong peds experience.
-Most residents seemed pretty chill.
-Nicest EM resident lounge of any program.

Cons:
-Got the sense the program doesn't get a lot of respect within the hospital.
-Have heard residents are very overworked.
-Lots of consultants to call.

10) MD -- Johns Hopkins Hospital
Pros:
-Well-defined use of 4th year.
-Sick patient population.
-PD seemed great.

Cons:
-Baltimore.
-They got rid of shock trauma rotation! Though to be fair, they said the residents didn't like it, and that there's a chance they may bring it back in the future.
-Lots of consultants.
-Some of the residents were nice, but had a couple...strange... interactions with others.

11) NY -- SUNY Downstate/Kings County Hospital
Pros:
-Along with Jacobi, more trauma than any other NYC program.
-Brooklyn

Cons:
-A few weird residents.
-A large chunk of the patient population is apparently Haitian Creole, many of whom don't speak English. Having to use the translator phone that much could be frustrating.

12) PA -- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Pros:
-Emphasis on EMS. Jeep stuff seemed sweet.

Cons:
-Pittsburgh. Eh.

13) MI -- University of Michigan
Pros:
-Seems like another great, well-rounded program overall.
-Emergency Critical Care Center is legit.

Cons:
-Ann Arbor. Seems nice, but too small and not on the east coast.
-Is it just me, or does U. Michigan have kind of a culty feel to it? Everyone wears the same blue polo shirts with the big yellow "M" emblazoned across the front in all the residency pics. Weird.

14) DC -- George Washington University
Pros:
-DC

Cons:
-Just wasn't as into it as Georgetown.

Applied to:

None

Rejected by:
Reject: USC-LAC, UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-Olive View, Alameda, Carolinas, Emory, Vanderbilt, UT-Austin, OHSU.
Waitlist: UCSF-General, Stanford, Northwestern, Cincinnati, Hennepin.
Silence: UVA, NYU, Brown, University of Washington, Advocate Christ, BMC, Cook County, UVA, a few others

Maine Medical Center, Duke, NY Presbyterian

Submitted anonymously via PM to @surely.

Step 1: 210s , Step 2: 220s
COMLEX Level 1: 550s, Level 2: 570s
EM rotation grades: 4 rotations, all Pass/Fail - Who knows what the SLOEs looked like. School evals were good, though not gushing.
Anything else that made you more competitive?: SSP, Golden Human Club. Non-trad. Interesting life. Top quartile of class.

Family. Geography. Educational quality. Sick pts. Longitudinal trauma involvement. Daily peds. Procedural availability. Resident happiness. Department morale. Strong ultrasound.

1. University of Buffalo (Buffalo, NY):

Pros: 6 hospitals means high variety of practice styles and settings from which to build your clinical bag of tricks. Shifts are 12’s (18/17/16). Lots of fellowships & tracks. Strong U/S & EMS. Seems like a happy, tightly-knit group of residents and attendings. Buffalo is on the upswing. Like just about every city, has lots of good food, beer, music, festivals, etc. Pro sports – potential to get on the Bills sideline 3rd year. Close to skiing, lakes, state parks, Niagra Falls and Toronto. Well-designed city with lots of green spaces and no traffic. Low COL. 4 weeks vacation. They cover health insurance premiums for you, spouse & kids. Never had a 100 degree day. SO loved it here.

Cons: In-house moonlighting only. Low pay. 12’s. Giant windows behind podium in beautiful conference room overlook the city and would make it hard to pay attention. Winter, if you’re not into that kind of thing.

Bonus Points: +1,000,000 for the wings at Duff’s

2. VCU (Richmond, VA):

Pros: Love this place. Rock & Roll emergency medicine. Busy. Urban. Academic. They shoot, they stab, they crash at high speeds. ED has trauma airway. Sick patients. Attendings are the sharpest and most diverse group that I came across. Great PD. Senior residents are rock stars. Shiny ED/bay with lots of bells & whistles. Shifts are 10’s (20/18/18). Residents seem happy. Magnet hospital draws great nurses. Richmond is a happening place – arts, history, beer, food, universities, outdoorsy stuff. The James River runs through town and has class 5 rapids. Close to mountains, DC & Baltimore.

Cons: Big academic center so lots of procedure thieves in the building. No daily peds exposure. Slightly bigger city than I’d like to live in, though it’s easy to get in & out of.

Bonus Points: Best green room coffee. Served real breakfast AND a real lunch. Caribbean Grill food truck outside hospital. Guided trolley tour of the city.

3. Western Michigan University (Kalamazoo, MI):

Pros: Big fan. They call themselves a community/academic hybrid. Two level 1 hospitals, both with a community feel. Total volume around 130,000/year. Shifts are 8’s with a 1 hour overlap, but turnover is soft so most people essentially work 10’s (~20/19/18). See peds everyday. ED has airway in traumas. Former PD is a big dog in the EM accreditation world. Knows how to build a program and is still very actively involved. Residents seem super happy. EM highly respected within the hospital. EMS/flight heavy. ICU heavy. Pig labs, EMS day, wilderness medicine race. Big class means lots of people to hang out and swap shifts with. Sleepy college town full of long-hairs. An hour from lake Michigan. UP within reach. Great support network for SO’s/kids. All off-service done locally. Decent biking/hiking trails for a flat place. Good climbing gym. Beer capital of the Midwest.

Cons: Flat. Flat. Flat. Ultrasound curriculum is weak. They’re hoping to address this by adding a fellowship

Bonus Points: They put you up in a pretty fancy hotel that doubles as a UFO landing pad. Lively pre-interview dinner.

4. Geisinger (Danville, PA):

Pros: Strong program. SICK patients. 40% admit. Transfer heavy. Low volume on paper (50k/y), but residents stay busy. Great vibe. Happy people. Residents claim to have lots of free time. ED has airway in trauma. Big on flight/EMS. Started ultrasound fellowship this year. Old program (1978). High pay, low COL. Family friendly. Shifts are 9’s (20/19/18). Epic. Large tertiary care center in tiny, rural town. Couple of smallish college towns within half an hour. Outdoorsy stuff to do. Couple breweries in town. Lots of festivals locally. All off-service done on site. Killer pre-interview dinner & free hotel at The Pine Barn. Made-to-order omelets in cafeteria.

Cons: May be a little light on procedures. A couple people identified inbreeding as a possible downside, meaning that a huge proportion of the attendings are Geisinger-trained, so they practice in a Geisinger way. Could potentially limit the number of different ways to skin a cat that you’re exposed to. Not for the city lover. Cafeteria is a little pricy. Everyone kept saying ED is old and needs a facelift. Didn’t seem that bad to me.

Bonus Points: Incredibly effective sales pitch/subtle dosing of applicants with scopolamine. I went in lukewarm and left having placed a down payment on a Geisinger-made bridge.

5. Conemaugh (Johnstown, PA):

Pros: Strong community program. Level 1 with big catchment area. 70k/y, though it seemed like pts were a little hard to come by at peak times. 25% admit rate. Shifts are 9’s (20/19/18). ED has airway in trauma. Decent amount of blunt trauma. Plenty of falls. Lots of old, sick people. Daily peds. Flight. Young attendings & older residents. Good vibe. Plenty of jokes. Excellent PD & APD. Solid cafeteria. Good didactics/sims. High pay & low cost of living. $5,000 moving bonus. Everyone seems to like going to Delaware for a month or two for Peds EM and PICU. I think they must have a free masseuse there or something. 1.5 hours from Pittsburgh. Pretty good ultrasound curriculum.

Cons: Johnstown is pretty beat down. Limited attending diversity – They’re sharp and seem to enjoy teaching, but are pretty young & many are Conemaugh-trained.

Bonus Points: Proximity to Sheetz

6. Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem, PA):

Pros: Old program with big emphasis on didactics and preparing you to be self-guided learner after residency. ICU heavy. Good guest speakers. Two hospitals. Cedar Crest is a busy level 1 trauma center. Muhlenberg is community with lots of sick, old people. EM runs the ICU there. Good pathology. Shifts are 9’s. I think you’d get great training here.

Cons: 4 years. Too much off-service. Allentown sucks (though Bethlehem seems decent). ED not involved in trauma. No daily peds. Not enough jokes in the department for me. Good chunk of the attendings want medicine-style presentations. Program as a whole has kind of a crusty old white man vibe. Residents seemed stressed. Attendings seemed tired. The program high-ups didn’t seem to like each other. Not sure if anybody really liked anyone. Patient walked into ED and stabbed nurse in the neck. Slow with my SLOE.

Bonus Points: -500 for making me miserable just thinking about the place.

7. Henry Ford Allegiance (Jackson, MI)

Pros: Lots of procedures. No ortho. Sick patients. Busy ED. Nice department. Would come out really well prepared. Level II, though it sounds like plenty of blunt and some penetrating come through. Airway on all trauma. Trade days with trauma PA’s doing procedures in trauma bay. Daily peds exposure. They say that U/S is used and taught often. Potential to use scribes as senior resident. Potential to live in Ann Arbor or somewhere else that is not Jackson

Cons: 4 years. Too much off-service. No critical care until PGY3. Jackson could easily win a reality show in which dead and crumbling cities compete against each other to see which one is deader and crumblier. Interview was 16 “tell us about a time” questions. F that. If I had the luxury to not rank them out of spite, I would do it in a second.

Bonus Points: No way

8. Doctors Hospital (Columbus, OH)

These guys. First they invite me for an interview right after ERAS opens. Then they respond to my acceptance with, “whoops, sorry. Not you. We meant to invite someone else with a name similar to yours. Best of luck.” Did end up interviewing there eventually. Columbus was generic and the program was meh, but I really liked the residents and faculty. Thought I had a great interview until I got an email in late January saying that they weren’t ranking me at all. Not even a little. Ouch. Still ranked them anyway because 8 is my lucky number :)

Declined/Cancelled: Botsford, Boardman, Cape Fear, Inspira, Mercy Health (Muskegon), St. Mary Mercy (Livonia), Mercy St. Vincent (Toledo)

Reject/Silent: UA-Tuscon, Maricopa, USF-Morsani, MCG-Augusta, U of Iowa, UIC, UI-Peoria, SoIll, Advocate, Baystate, Central Mich, McLaren Oakland, Wayne State, HF MaComb, St John’s Oakland, McLaren MaComb, HF Wyandotte, Sparrow, UMKC, Lumberton, U of Nebraska, Newark Beth Isreal, UNLV, Rutgers RWJ, Atlantic Health, Cooper, Albany, Rochester, SUNY Upstate, Wright State, Akron General, Case Western Reserve, U of Toledo, OHSU, St. Luke’s, Penn State, Drexel, Einstein, St. Vincent Erie, UPMC Hamot, York, Kent, UT-Murf, Christus, Utah, Carilion, Wisc, Olympia Fields, KCU-Joplin, AEDNA-Chilicothe, PCOM, CAMC, Lakeland, St. Josephs

Comments: Crappy scores from a random DO school made me an obvious underdog. Looked at resident profiles and applied everywhere in my geographic area of interest that had >10% DO. Threw a couple hail marys out west (because it’s the best). It was a pain in the ass, but I applied for ~20 aways at my targeted programs through VSAS and another 10 (AOA, mostly) outside of VSAS.

Was approved for 12 aways total, including a couple EM U/S rotations. Went on 4. Once I upgraded, I cancelled the less desirable ones well in advance. Pretty sure that I got 5 of those rotations approved through phone calls or follow-up emails to the coordinator. Of my 15 interview invites, I rotated at 4 of them and cancelled rotations at another 3 of them.

I think my approach was working really well until I got too big for my britches and started cancelling interviews at undesirable places. I only ended up going on 8 of 15 interviews because I felt like none of my cancellations would have cracked my top 5. Also figured that if I can’t match at one of the 4 programs where I spent a month rotating, that maybe I’m not that good at EM and should just find another job. Once Doctors didn’t rank me, I realized that I might have screwed the pooch. Now I’m only realistically ranking 7 programs, two of which (VCU, WMich) are out of my statistical league and only interviewed me because I rotated there.

The take home lesson is that beggars can’t be choosers. If you’re an underdog, apply widely & wisely and go on as many interviews as you can. Remember that an EM program in the asscrack of America is still better than anything in SOAP.

(Note from @surely: Man, as I was reading this, I was like... borderline DO applicant who only ranks 8 places and turns down a bunch of invites?? What the what?? But then I got to the bottom where the OP realizes he/she may have dun goofed, and I appreciate that they shared that insight. OP, I hope this works out for you and you get good news in a couple weeks. I absolutely want to echo your sentiment that people with low stats and anti-DO bias working against them should be very risk-averse in their interview planning!)

MATCHED!!! At a good program, too...despite bad scores, being a DO and only ranking 7 programs. Apply wisely, audition widely, be nice and always hustle. It can be done!!!

Reactions: 13 users
Are people really not going to post more rank lists?

So disappointing.

I tried counting the number of rank lists in each thread and it's roughly similar from this year and last year. Somewhere in the 110s-120s.

The biggest difference I saw was that since the lists were so spread out last year, people commented and discussed each list whereas this year most of them were posted in a few weeks time so they were probably skimmed over.

Step 1: 230s , Step 2: 240s
EM rotation grades: One Pass/Fail only, one Honors
Medical school region: Southwest
Anything else that made you more competitive?: Top 1/3 SLOE (maybe 2?), pub and several posters/presentations, unique niche, background and path to medicine, interview decently well, top med school

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: >Fit > Balanced all-around program (academic + community + county) = location > clinical and procedure exp / pt mix >> Unique niche opportunities >> Prestige

AVOID places where residents are unhappy and overworked at all costs, residency training will change me over 3 years and I would prefer for the better

1) TX -- TX A&M Scott & White Memorial Hospital
+ True all around program (community, academic, county) with longstanding excellent clinical reputation and experience, awesome faculty and PD, great group of residents and genuinely nice people, nice facilities with good mix of pts, great moonlighting options, great hours 2nd and 3rd year, good didactics, opportunities in my future EM niche, awesome practice options in Texas post graduation, small town chill vibe with no rush hour, cheap cost of living
- Tougher hrs intern year, academic reputation and research is probably middle of the road (factor for ivory tower academic jobs?)

2) AR -- University of Arkansas
+ Huge surprise for me, was thinking it would be ~10 but really loved it here and knew people who rotated and who it was their home program and only heard good things, balanced all-around program, good schedule, good fit with residents and faculty, good pt mix, program on the rise
- Little Rock is far from family, mediocre Texas practice options, academic reputation and research is middle of the road (factor for some academic jobs?)

3) WI -- University of Wisconsin
+ Best flight program in the country, 3+1 if you decide on academics, impressive PD and chair, great faculty and good vibes with them and residents, decently balanced program and hours, lots of sick pts due to solid primary care system in the area, Madison is a nice town, great opportunities in my niche, program that is definitely on the rise
- COLD! poor Texas practice options post graduation, touch of a hardcore vibe from a few residents, academic reputation and research is middle of the road (factor for some academic jobs?)

4) MN -- Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education
+ Loved the residents and vibes here, great small town, tons of research opportunities as well as my EM niche, good schedule, expert consultants, great overall fit with the people, great academic reputation and didactics, good flight options
- Very academic (not super balanced), COLD! Seemed a bit too relaxed in the ED compared to my home and away for approach, modest Texas practice options post graduation

5) NE -- University of Nebraska Medical Center
+ Loved the residents and vibes here, great city that has no rush hour and plenty of stuff to do, opportunities in my EM niche, good schedule, great overall fit with the people, very balance program overall that would equip practice in any setting
- COLD! modest Texas practice options post graduation, academic reputation and research is middle of the road (factor for some academic jobs?)

6) TX -- John Peter Smith Health Network
+ Great clinical training and Texas practice options post grad, Ft. Worth is nice, tons of procedure and trauma, wanted to love it (top 3) but see below, program on the rise
- Bad hours (told me about work hr violations on interview day!) with little vacation (they just stack your shifts together apparently?) a few odd interactions on interview day where people were trashing other programs and cities, too county (unbalanced), not enough residents for their workload and pt numbers, weak academic reputation

7) TX -- UT Southwestern Medical Center - Dallas
+ Good clinical training, great Texas practice options post grad, great academic reputation and solid didactics, great experience with volume, great community rotations 3rd yr, cool residents and most EM faculty, great facilities
- Bad hours, trauma experience is weaker and surgery is malignant, many consultants are tough to deal with (negative super type A culture), sort of "fake-county" (vs Jacksonville or something similar) for EM since it has way too much consulting in a billion dollar hotel with modest quality trauma, not a very balanced program overall

8) NC -- Wake Forest University
+ Some of the nicest residents and faculty I met on the trail, good hrs and overall focus on well-being and taking care of each other, solid balance with good pt mix, solid didactics, good moonlighting, nice smaller city vibe, would have been higher if not for location far from everyone I know
- Far from family, weaker trauma, poor Texas practice options post graduation, academic reputation and research is middle of the road (factor for some academic jobs?)

9) TX -- CHRISTUS Health / Texas A&M
+ Great clinical experience with fun residents and nice faculty, Corpus is a chill city, solid Texas practice options post grad, unopposed residency, decently balanced (except academics), moonlighting, good pt mix
- Weaker didactics, very weak research and academic reputation, mediocre hrs, too much ICU

10) IN -- Indiana University School of Medicine
+ Excellent clinical, research and didactic experience, fantastic academic reputation, fun residents and friendly faculty, great options in my niche, Indy is a reasonably good city, good pt mix and volume, decent moonlighting with lower pay, pretty balanced program, nice facilities
- a bit of a type A intense vibe from residents and more so from faculty, felt like a bad fit, medium to bad hours, mediocre Texas practice options post grad, COLD! Too much ICU

11) TX -- University of Texas Houston
+ Great clinical, research and didactic experience, great academic reputation, excellent Texas practice options post grad, good options in my niche, fun residents and very nice PD and faculty, good trauma
- Houston is terrible to commute in and property is way too pricey anywhere near the hospitals, too county, overworked residents, bad hours

12) FL -- University of Florida - Jacksonville
+ Excellent clinical and trauma experience, tons of procedures, super cool residents I fit well with, fun faculty, Jacksonville is very nice, great longstanding reputation
- SUPER overworked residents, bad hours, too county without much balance, weaker didactics, weaker academics and research, far from all family, poor Texas practice options post grad

Anything else to add?
Applied to only 3 year programs in the south and midwest, didn't want any chance of doing an extra year

Maybe the only person on the trail who ranked Corpus over Indiana, Houston and Jacksonville - LOL

Applied to:

Iowa, SIU, Illinois, Regions, Mississippi, OK, El Paso, Tenn, EVMS, VCU, LSU-shrev

Step 1: 230s , Step 2: 250s
EM rotation grades: Two Pass/Fail only
Anything else that made you more competitive?: Who knows...the usual stuff. Been told I'm a good interviewer, I don't freaking know.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location, resident wellness, prestige

1) NY -- Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
Pros: Did my away here and was very impressed. Residents are very bright and treated well. They have a great community and all I talked to were very happy with their choice of residency. Faculty is awesome, especially the PD and APD. Reputation is great with awesome placement. LOCATION! Yes NYC is very expensive, but this is really my only opportunity to live in "the center of the world." Nursing staff is also great here. 3 year in Manhattan.

Cons: Peds could be better, COL

2) NY -- New York Methodist Hospital
Pros: I really enjoyed my interview day and liked the residents a lot. Another 3 year in NYC, and park slope would be an incredible place to live. No ortho which is nice for procedures. US is excellent.

Cons: Hospital felt small for being only real site, didn't really bond with faculty, not a great reputation.

3) TX -- UT Southwestern Medical Center - Dallas
Pros: Good location, excellent clinical training, Parkland Hospital is like a Ritz-Carlton, great people

Cons: Relationship with trauma surgery, pushback

4) NY -- Mount Sinai School of Medicine - New York
Pros: Very busy hospitals with great training. Elmhurst is a madhouse! Location, PD is the man, reputation

Cons: 4 year, commute between sites

5) IL -- Presence Resurrection Medical Center

6) FL -- Orlando Regional Medical Center

7) SC -- Palmetto Health Richland

8) NY -- Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Staten Island University Hospital

9) TX -- University of Texas Houston

10) TX -- John Peter Smith Health Network

11) FL -- Mount Sinai Medical Center/Miami

12) FL -- Jackson Memorial Hospital

Loma Linda, UVA

DO student
COMLEX Level 1/Level 2 -- 550s/580s
EM rotation grades: Honors/Honors/Honors/High Pass
ED Scribe experience, started a few organizations at school
Four strong SLOEs, with honors from each that didn't give honors to many, and high pass from one with really great remarks regardless (mentioned several times during the interview trail)

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Gut feeling, resident / attending interaction and happiness, ability to make a lasting impression / difference at the program, what type of learning may suit my style best, possible connections/plans for future endeavors

1) GA -- WellStar Kennestone
Pros
-Fifth busiest ED in the nation at volume of 150k/yr, 84 beds in the ED, with plans to have 166 beds in new ED in 2020
-Many faculty are Emory trained or were former Emory faculty, including PD and APDs
-Part of Wellstar, huge non-profit and expanding hospital system in the greater Atlanta area, still growing = lots of $$$, lots of opportunity in the future
-"Concierge" Program whose details you can look up yourself
-Built-In Toxicology rotation
-First year IM residents seemed very happy with their experiences, said they had as many research opportunities as they wanted if they looked for them (no interaction with EM residents, since, well, there weren't any)
-Faculty all had different personalities and different approaches but all meshed together really well
-Atlanta

Cons
-Brand new program that was interviewing for inaugural class (Would much rather be first class of a brand new program than the next three or four classes tho)
-IM rotation (may see this as a pro/con?)
-Could use some more ICU rotations, but would have to sacrifice some others
-COL may be higher than others

Saw this program as something that will become "world-class" in the near future. An applicant like me probably wouldn't have a shot in ten years from now, so ranked it number one to potentially have a shot at it from the ground floor. I felt like I wanted to make a difference and a lasting impression after being at a residency, so I couldn't think of a better place than this.
Also, hard to argue with Atlanta food/culture, with lots of already-made connections in the Southwest area from medical school

2) GA -- Medical College of Georgia
Pros
-Huge university, established program that has one of the very first EM physicians ever as faculty
-Large US focus, including winning/placing in Sono-Games
-Huge catchment area = lots of path, lots of acuity, lots of trauma
-Unique "niche" concept: they want to make you into the kind of doctor you want to be. Pediatrics, Wilderness, Ultrasound, and more -- tactical medicine even?
-Residents overall seemed very happy with the program, relationships, ability to make change

Cons
-Augusta isn't ideal for me, though AMAZING if you are a huge outdoorsman
-For some reason just didn't seem to have as great of a feeling from the interview as I did with some others, but personal preference/experience

3) PA -- St. Luke's University Health Network
Pros
Greatest Strength: Great resident and attending happiness and interaction, definitely the number one point of this program. Huge family, and it seemed like EM had a lot of respect hospital-wide
-Residents seemed to be able to make their own paths; if they had any good ideas, faculty would try to implement (Resident-run own Wilderness Medicine Conference)
-Attendings and PD very willing to listen, help, etc.
-Lots of ICU, with many faculty actually surgical critical care trained at St. Luke's very own fellowship

Cons
-Low volume (55k/yr), which can or can't mean a lot depending on who you are. Residents and attendings all had the same doc-box and could talk and discuss cases with each other, which could make up for having to sit on patients for a while
-No dedicated pediatric ED/ICU (they say that 20% of their visits are pediatrics overall though)
-No dedicated US month (they say that they do so much US that they don't need it)
-Bethlehem is +/-
-Competes with Lehigh Valley directly (same catchment area), but seemed to get a decent amount of acuity/trauma regardless
-Didactics could use a little work, seemed to be something they're working on though

4) PA -- Lehigh Valley Health Network
Pros
Greatest Strength: Come out VERY well-trained with lots of knowledge, very self-sufficient in having the ability to be a life-long learner.
-Well-known along the East Coast, older program, with the most blunt trauma in the state and pretty wide variety of acuity
-Variety of faculty, with everyone bringing something different to the table
-Fourth years (especially chiefs) were badass; probably the most knowledgable residents I've worked with, and all very likable and personable
-Large academic center but with a county feel
-ICU fellowship incoming, Toxicology fellowship now present, with strong toxicology on staff and lots of ICU time (EM residents run ICU at Muhlenberg)
-Pediatric ED and ICU with built-in peds time all together
-LOTS of big-name speakers come visit for grand rounds

Cons
-Four years, but reasonable ED time with only 9-hour shifts
-Awesome fourth-year residents and chiefs leaving next year; incoming fourth years (current third years) were overall not nearly as cool, some very off-putting (though, the current second years aka incoming third years were pretty cool overall)
-On that note, some residents seemed pretty tired, but overall people were content residency
-Some may say (and have said) that there might be too much of a focus on didactics, but again, I feel that this is what makes this program particularly strong
-May have to defer some decision making to consultants depending on the day

Neutral
-EM residents on regular EM months don't respond to all traumas (ED is huge, lots of ED residents on at one time, so only the ED residents on trauma month respond to the trauma); this is a +/- depending on who you are
-Huge residency with 50+ residents, may get lost in the crowd
-Two different hospitals
-Faculty seemed to have lots of connections, so good for those who want to pursue academics/fellowship

Overall, I feel like coming here would make even the average Joe a superstar in terms of EM, and definitely better than most in terms of nuance and the small things---but not for lack of hard work (though, definitely not excessively "overworked" per se). May not be the place for you if you just want to get in, get out, and be "good enough" to practice the standard of care.

5) PA -- Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center
Pros
-Huge catchment area
-Faculty are all very passionate, excited; super chill, personable, and overall had the feeling that everyone was really happy
-Variety of unique pathology/trauma due to its unique area
-Definitely a rural/county feel, but also leaning towards the academic side, with some pretty good facilities and newer equipment
-Residents overall seemed very happy with their education
-Coolest APD evarrrr*******; but honestly, we on this forum know how dedicated he is to education
^^probably greatest strength? LOL, that, along with the rest of the faculty being awesome too

Cons
-Johnstown, PA is pretty small/rural and about 1.5-2 hours outside of Pittsburgh
-When compared to other programs, a little less diversity in terms of faculty training; many stayed in Conemaugh (which could be more of a neutral/good thing, depending on how you look at it)

Neutral
-Talks of getting EM to run its own ICU
-On that note, decent amount of ICU

I've seen it said a number of times, and I would agree: this program is 10/10 except for the area depending on who you are. Anyone who matches here would be lucky.

6) NY -- Orange Regional Medical Center
Pros
-HUGE and brand new facilities, constantly expanding
-Director of education/medical director/big-boss-man is awesome, involved, wants the best for the EM residency... so lots of support there
-Pretty large catchment area
-Faculty seemed to be willing to take on suggestions/ideas regarding changes for future

Cons
-Middletown, NY -- average-ish COL for kind of a middle-of-nowhere type place, though really close to NYC
-Residents seemed to imply that they all worked constantly despite being overall content/happy with not a lot of outside life?
-Newer program
-Has its own pediatric ED but no dedicated pediatric EM physician, so have to do off-service rotations... think this will probably change in the future once the facility becomes

Neutral
-Young/passionate faculty; may not have as much experience in academics but all seemed very excited to teach

7) FL -- Mount Sinai Medical Center/Miami
Pros
-Pretty large variety of faculty in terms of training, ideals, practice styles
-Miami Beach!
-Department Chair is President of AAEM; very firm, but very smart, and will make you a better doctor. Probably has good connections for whatever a doc might plan for the future
-Trauma at Ryder
-Clerkship Director, Dr. Boge, is an American Hero (seriously)
-Residents all seemed actually very happy, very willing to teach, got along well with each other

Cons
-Miami Beach COL
-Current ED seems a bit small to take care of the volume that they have, with long turnover times--not at the fault of residents or attenings; building new ED next year though
-No trauma on regular EM months, if it matters
-Procedure numbers seemed a little low, but hard to know

8) CA -- Desert Regional Medical Center
Pros
-Large volume for its ED size, with lots of trauma as well
-Palm Springs!
-Unique AIDS population (maybe a con?)
-Residents were overall pretty chill and mostly content, though some seemed burned out
-High procedure numbers

Cons
-Newer program
-Most of the faculty were from the same residency program, so overall had the same practice style

9) NJ -- Inspira Health System
Pros
-Busy ED
-Residents pretty nice, smart, chill and had no real complaints

Cons
-Newer program
-Vineland, NJ has nothing; most residents lived in Glassboro

10) Marietta, OH - Ohio Valley Medical Center
Pros
-Residents learn by doing
-Residents were actually pretty awesome, overall pretty happy

Cons
-Self-taught learning; no ICU attendings, only hospitals, and thus the residents run the ICU
-Older ED with older equipment, only 17 beds? (not counting hallway)

Anything else to add?
I'm very grateful for my interviews and ROL. Programs 1-5 actually switched places many times in my head, with each one holding each spot (including #1) at least once.
Not exactly the UCLA, Highland, Beth Israel, etc. ROL that you might usually see, but my bet is that many of the residents from any of those programs above can give any contender a run for their money (no offense!!)

On that note, I didn't have a step... huge mistake. Long story short, I didn't have the motivation at the time, largely due to school issues and timing, but in the end it was my decision.
Many stated along the rotation/interview trail stated my app may have had many more looks from some big name programs had I had a decent step score, since the rest of my app was strong. SO TAKE YOUR STEP 1 DO STUDENTS.

Declined: lots
Programs whose interviews you attended: only a few more than the above

Reactions: 1 users
I Would delete UF from your list. I am a current fellow here and I am miserable. All of the ICU’s are ran by mid-levels. Most of the mid-levels will not leave here and have been here for awhile because they are treated and regarded as physicians. They dont treat fellows here with respect and your opnion (for the majority of the time) does not matter. Also, the dept here are a bunch of *****s. Alot of sick people and SICU rotation you see and get to do alot but you have to fight PA students and NP students for procedures. I hate this place and cant wait until im done with it.
Step 1: 220s , Step 2: 240s
EM rotation grades: Honors/Honors/Honors
Anything else that made you more competitive?: Three top 10% SLOEs. Had a prior healthcare career, lots of publications, community service and leadership. Was told by several interviewers that my personal statement got their attention.

warm fuzzies, 3>4, academic/county hybrid, EMS opportunities, location.

1) FL -- University of South Florida
Pros: Friendliest, coolest residents and awesome faculty who really care about your success. Residents all hang out outside of work. 10 spots per class, so not too big or too small. 3 year program near the beach with >100k visits, stroke, transplant and LVAD center, with lots of blunt and penetrating trauma. Academic/county hybrid. recently added EM critical care elective and a community elective. Poison center across the street. Also adding an international med and sports med track/fellowship due to resident requests. Lectures seemed interactive and engaging with lots of small groups and utilizes state of the art sim center. Highly active in the local EMS system and helicopters. Off service rotations are useful and well thought out, no IM month, Cheap COL. New schedule has much better hours than past years with hardly any 12s. No graduated responsibility so you're encouraged to jump right in but have plenty of backup and help if you need it. Uses Epic, Free parking and lots of free food. Lots of research opportunities if you want them, but definitely not forced if research isn't your thing, Warm fuzzies.

Cons: There is a big peds hospital 30 minutes away that might compete for some of the more interesting peds cases. They have been working on partnering with that hospital to create a rotation there for the residents, but it hasn't happened yet. Nevertheless, I felt like the peds experience would be adequate as is.

2) FL -- Orlando Regional Medical Center
Pros: 3 year program near family, county/community/academic hybrid, residents seemed very happy like a close-knit family, lots of free food, great reputation in FL, strong EMS opportunities, caring faculty, cool facilities, great peds hospital next door, felt like I would be very happy here

Cons: work all 12s as interns, IM floor month, didn't like the idea of two half mornings a week of lecture as I would rather just knock it all out at once, also rotates through NICU, graduated responsibility

3) TN -- Vanderbilt University
Pros: 3 year program close to family with a big name, curriculum is well thought out with a lot of time in the ED, crazy busy flight program and you can moonlight on the helicopter!!!, Peds hospital next door Nashville is great, Ben n Jerrys AND taco bell in the hospital, seriously what more could you want?

Cons: Got a somewhat preppy vibe from the residents and just didn't feel like they were my people. I hated that I didn't quite click with them because the rest of the program is fantastic

4) NC -- University of North Carolina
Pros: Had great, meaningful conversations with all of my interviewers and felt like they really wanted to get to know me as a person, great EMS opportunities, friendly residents

Cons: lots of 12s, commuting between Chapel Hill and Raleigh is killer

5) AL -- University of Alabama
Pros: I had wonderful interviews here and left feeling like they really wanted to know my character and values, which made me feel like I would be really supported here, the residents were nice and the hospital is huge!, no hallway beds in the ED, Birmingham is cute

Cons: Seems like they still don't quite have traumas worked out yet with trauma surgery taking procedures and anesthesia taking airways. They said that they were starting a new even/odd day system this spring, but it hadn't started yet and it made me nervous that the program has been around this long and they still haven't figured out this turf war

6) NC -- Wake Forest University
Pros: Beautiful hospital, loved the curriculum and the fact that they work all 8s, tons of residents came to the social and they were all super friendly, winston salem is gorgeous, big catchment area, good EMS opportunities, loved that they included the city tour with the realtor on interview day

Cons: Really wanted to love this program but I felt like my faculty interviewers just didn't like me :( No matter what I answered I felt like they were not happy with what I said. Maybe it was just their poker face, but it was really uncomfortable. I didn't have that experience anywhere else, so I don't think it's me.

7) FL -- University of Florida - Gainesville
Pros: Shands has a great reputation in the south and is a beautiful hospital, location is close to family, lots of cool restaurants and Gator football, free coffee

Cons: residents all sat together at one end of the table at the social and were less than interested in speaking to applicants, they have a good catchment area, but I'm worried a good chunk of my patients will still be drunk college kids, the work area "fishbowls" are kindof claustrophobic and feel a little separated from patients. I've heard the program has had a lot of turnover in leadership over the years, one of my interviewers pimped me on a critical care patient case for half the interview and it really left a bad taste in my mouth

8) FL -- University of Florida - Jacksonville
Pros: strong reputation in the southeast, true county program.

Cons: Jacksonville is kindof weird, the hospital is maybe too county for me with all the beds squished together touching each other, I felt like I would just be thrown to the wolves without much attending teaching or backup, had a weird interview with one of the faculty who asked some aggressive questions, they work a crazy amount of shifts

9) SC -- Medical University of South Carolina
Pros: Charleston is SO cute, the residents and faculty were all super happy and friendly, chick fil a in the cafeteria

Cons: Felt like everyone there either went to med school there or rotated there so it felt a little inbred and like I wouldn't actually have a shot at one of the only 6 spots in the intern class

10) CA -- Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
Pros: Amazing reputation, got to attend lectures and they were engaging and fun, crazy volume and tons of trauma, I was super impressed by the residents and was totally in awe here, and of course, Code Black

Cons: I just couldn't justify 4 years, plus LA is expensive, crowded and has way too much traffic, two many 12s, floor months, was told by an attending that approximately 30% of admissions are pure social admits and 60% of patients were spanish speaking only. I don't think I speak enough spanish to survive there and that amount of social admits almost feels like it would get in the way of actual medical learning. interns only present to third years and never set foot in the Resus bay.

11) AZ -- Maricopa Medical Center
Pros: Hilarious residents, cool schedule of all 9s with an hour of overlap and sticking all the night shifts together in one month, Burn ICU

Cons: Seemed like a lot of commuting for off service rotations, I don't know anyone on that side of the country so I couldn't justify putting it higher than places closer to home

12) FL -- Florida Atlantic University
Pros: Southeast program near family with friendly and experienced faculty and happy residents

Cons: Program currently only has interns, so kinks are still being worked out, but I do think this will be a solid program one day.

13) FL -- University of Central Florida/HCA GME Consortium of Greater Orlando
Pros: Southeast program close to family, unlimited free food, cheap COL

Cons: Brand new program, HCA, seemed pretty disorganized, Peds and OB rotations still aren't figured out. Not so sure of the pathology that will come in with UF just down the road.

Anything else to add?
At the end of the day, it's all about the SLOEs.

Applied to:
USF, ORMC, UF Jacksonville, UF Gainesville, Florida Hospital Orlando, Kendall Regional, Aventura, UM Jackson Memorial, UCF Gainesville, UCF Osceola, UCF Ocala, FAU, Mt Sinai Miami Beach, Emory, UAB, LSU NO, MUSC, Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, Carolinas Medical Center, Vanderbilt, JPS, UT Houston, Baylor, UVA, Denver, UCLA Olive View, LA County USC, Harbor UCLA, Stanford, Highlands, Maricopa, UNLV, NYMC Metropolitan, Mt Sinai St Lukes Roosevelt, NYU, Georgetown, Harvard BIDMC, HAEMR, Boston Medical Center, Yale, Einstein Philly, West Virginia U, Presence Resurrection, U Chicago, U Illinois Chicago, Northwestern, Cook County, Advocate Christ, Rush, Hennepin, Mayo, Indiana, Cincinnati, Wash U Barnes Jewish, UMKC (57 programs total)

Rejected by: HAEMR, BIDMC, Emory, Northwestern, Carolinas Medical Center, Cincinnati, U Chicago, Wash U Barnes Jewish, Stanford, UCLA Harbor, UCLA Olive View. Never heard anything at all from Kendall, Duke, Einstein Philly, Hennepin, Cook County. Also I was waitlisted at Highlands.

Invited to interview, but declined: UCF Osceola, Florida Hospital Orlando, UM Jackson Memorial, UCF Gainesville, Mt Sinai Miami Beach, Aventura, LSU NO, JPS, UT Houston, Baylor, UVA, Denver, UNLV, NYMC Metropolitan, NYU, Mt Sinai SLR, Georgetown, Boston Medical Center, Yale, West Virginia, Presence Resurrection, U Illinois Chicago, Advocate Christ, Rush, Mayo, Indiana, UMKC

Attended interivews at: University of South Florida, Orlando Health ORMC, Vanderbilt, UNC, UAB, Wake Forest, UF Gainesville, UF Jacksonville, MUSC, LAC + USC, Maricopa, FAU, UCF Ocala[/QUOTE]