2017-2018 Marshall University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
WV resident- Primary submitted two days ago (it is not verified) and secondary received today. Email stated that the secondary was automatic for WV residents.

1. Why did you decide to apply to the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine? If you have strong ties to West Virginia, please describe in detail.

2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine?

3. If you are not presently attending school, indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school.

(no character limit)
Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Border state applicant checking in. Very excited

Members don't see this ad :)
In-state WV applicant (LizzyM 66) checking in. Looking forward to interviewing here. It seems that *all* in-staters get an interview (fingers crossed). Good luck everyone!

Hey guys, future Class of 2021 student here. To drop some stats for you all, I am an OOS student (a metro student- resident of a neighboring county) with a 3.74 GPA and 503 on the MCAT. I got accepted off the waitlist pretty late, so if you are planning on taking the MCAT again, definitely shoot for 506-508. As far as IS, the average MCAT was around 504. Anything around that, and your chances are pretty good. IS students get a heavy preference over OOS students. Interviews are really chill, and Mrs. Warren is an incredibly kind lady. Call her and ask any questions you may have, and good luck! I'll also be willing to answer your questions, so fire away.

Reactions: 1 users
WV resident- Primary submitted two days ago (it is not verified) and secondary received today. Email stated that the secondary was automatic for WV residents.

1. Why did you decide to apply to the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine? If you have strong ties to West Virginia, please describe in detail.

2. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine?

3. If you are not presently attending school, indicate your employment or other plans for the time prior to your planned enrollment in medical school.

@Lucca btw no character limits it seems

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, future Class of 2021 student here. To drop some stats for you all, I am an OOS student (a metro student- resident of a neighboring county) with a 3.74 GPA and 503 on the MCAT. I got accepted off the waitlist pretty late, so if you are planning on taking the MCAT again, definitely shoot for 506-508. As far as IS, the average MCAT was around 504. Anything around that, and your chances are pretty good. IS students get a heavy preference over OOS students. Interviews are really chill, and Mrs. Warren is an incredibly kind lady. Call her and ask any questions you may have, and good luck! I'll also be willing to answer your questions, so fire away.

AAMC says that the average MCAT for admitted is 501... I'm in bad shape if that's gone up :/

Anyone know the character or word count for the secondary essays?

Is a LizzyM score of 69 good enough for out of state here?
Strong ties to the state are everything here. That score is fine for anywhere, but Marshall's #1 goal is graduating physicians to serve West Virginia. So if you can demonstrate that you'll help them fulfill that goal, then yes. If not, no.

Strong ties to the state are everything here. That score is fine for anywhere, but Marshall's #1 goal is graduating physicians to serve West Virginia. So if you can demonstrate that you'll help them fulfill that goal, then yes. If not, no.
Border state, but I live in Appalachia. I have a lot of community service geared toward Appalachia and demonstrated a desire to practice there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question - My fiance's family is all from here - her dad, grandfather and grandmother all graduated from Marshall, and still live in Huntington. I love the city and the surrounding area, and I actually proposed to her in the city of Huntington. I've never lived there, although I went to school in a border state - but reside in a non surrounding state. Her grandfather is super active in the Marshall community, and has told me all about it, plus I've seen "We are Marshall" (that alone is enough, right?)

Long story short, do you think this is considered "Strong ties to WV"?. Just curious!

Question - My fiance's family is all from here - her dad, grandfather and grandmother all graduated from Marshall, and still live in Huntington. I love the city and the surrounding area, and I actually proposed to her in the city of Huntington. I've never lived there, although I went to school in a border state - but reside in a non surrounding state. Her grandfather is super active in the Marshall community, and has told me all about it, plus I've seen "We are Marshall" (that alone is enough, right?)

Long story short, do you think this is considered "Strong ties to WV"?. Just curious!
I think so, if you say it right and perhaps name drop your fiance's grandfather.

It's 501 for accepted and 500 for students who attended. Someone here claimed in state who attended had 504??? That means out of state had lower than 500 to balance this, which is false. Out of state most likely had higher mcat scores. So, why did somone claimed it was 504. MSAR is official result of real mcat average. It's for schools to post exactly what their status is. Like it said median mcat was 500 for students who attended. It means 500 for real. It's hard to believe it jumbed from 500 to 504??? Even if that's true. The person here claimed it's for in state students, so out of state must had higher status, usually. Thus, we expect mcat average to be higher than 504 last year!!!! That is not true. Was it 501 or 504, which one is the truth???
Whatever the MSAR says

Honestly, if you are below a 504 MD schools are hard to get into. I know Marshall is gracious to West Virginia residents to help them persue their goals but that's a great score for DO and I hope you applied there as well so you don't come up empty this cycle. I thought the average MCAT here was 502. I did see their cut offs though and it was a 498 which is realllyyyyy low for MD.

Does anyone know when interviews will be send out?

Last edited:
Honestly, if you are below a 504 MD schools are hard to get into. I know Marshall is gracious to West Virginia residents to help them persue their goals but that's a great score for DO and I hope you applied there as well so you don't come up empty this cycle. I thought the average MCAT here was 502. I did see their cut offs though and it was a 498 which is realllyyyyy low for MD.
They accept some below 498 too. WV residents or URM no doubt.

Does anyone know when interviews will be send out?
Judging from last year, it looks like Oct-Nov for in-state applicants and December-? for out of state. Small sample size on SDN, so hard to tell.

They have three questions only for the secondary app??

For what it's worth, after some brief communication with Ms. Warren, I've got to say she definitely lives up to her reputation. She was SOO sweet and truly a very pleasant person to speak with. I really hope to be offered an interview and get the chance to meet her face-to-face.

Good luck to all other applicants, we got this. :cool:

Judging from last year, it looks like Oct-Nov for in-state applicants and December-? for out of state. Small sample size on SDN, so hard to tell.

Invites usually go out earlier than October for in-state. For out of state, a few may interview before Christmas, but most will be after the first of the year.

For what it's worth, after some brief communication with Ms. Warren, I've got to say she definitely lives up to her reputation. She was SOO sweet and truly a very pleasant person to speak with. I really hope to be offered an interview and get the chance to meet her face-to-face.

Good luck to all other applicants, we got this. :cool:

Cindy Warren is amazing. If USNWR took 'admissions staff' into account with their ratings, Marshall would have been the #1 school in the country since it opened in 1977 - because that's how long Cindy has been doing that job! That's right, every single doctor that has graduated from Marshall was admitted by Cindy Warren. Amazing.

Reactions: 2 users
Does it make sense for me to apply with a 3.6O 3.42 Science 501?

OOS.. is it worth the gamble?

Hard to say given just that info. If you have strong ties, it might be fine.

Cindy won't send you a secondary unless you have a reasonable shot though, so really the AMCAS gamble is pretty cheap.

I have heard of OOS getting interviews at around 499-501 range. None were accepted. Take that for a grain of salt.

With your stats, it isn't unreasonable. You are smack in the average.

What would be considered a high out of state mcat relative to Marshall

What would be considered a high out of state mcat relative to Marshall
I've heard 505-509, but it's all hearsay. If an OOS can get an interview with a 501, though, I'm sure some people are lower than that range and get in.

Just got a complete notification. But I completed the secondary the day it came out. Odd.

how long does it take to get a complete e-mail?

how long does it take to get a complete e-mail?

I don't think there is a set time, but for reference, I submitted the secondary July 5 and got a complete email on July 28. The email stated that they will begin review of nonresident apps in December....
Best wishes!

Deleted

Last edited:
I hate typically doing "what are my chances?" but I am a bit unsure for this school. I am 3.8 cumulative, 3.8 science, and 4.0 graduate (Masters in Physiology). 502 MCAT (125, 123, 128, 126). Female, NC resident, non-traditional with 8000 hours in legal field, 500 hours in family medicine, and currently MA in clinic for underserved population. From MSARs, it looks like they didn't take many females last year. Anybody have any info on this? Is it worth submitting a secondary?
Unfortunately they seem to really want any OOS applicants to be from a bordering state or have strong ties to WV.

deleted

Last edited:
Ugh that is frustrating. I may call. Since NC is so close, and I have strong desire to be in that area.
It definitely doesn't hurt to ask! They also probably would consider applicants with any ties to Appalachia as well.

I hate typically doing "what are my chances?" but I am a bit unsure for this school. I am 3.8 cumulative, 3.8 science, and 4.0 graduate (Masters in Physiology). 502 MCAT (125, 123, 128, 126). Female, NC resident, non-traditional with 8000 hours in legal field, 500 hours in family medicine, and currently MA in clinic for underserved population. From MSARs, it looks like they didn't take many females last year. Anybody have any info on this? Is it worth submitting a secondary?

Call and talk to Cindy Warren. Generally you won't get a secondary unless they would consider you.

And the lack of female matriculants is a problem they are seriously looking to address - not an intentional institutional position. That's simply how the classes have turned out the past few years despite substantial efforts to have a 50:50 ratio. So you're being a female is a huge asset - not a hindrance.

Cindy Warren is amazing. If USNWR took 'admissions staff' into account with their ratings, Marshall would have been the #1 school in the country since it opened in 1977 - because that's how long Cindy has been doing that job! That's right, every single doctor that has graduated from Marshall was admitted by Cindy Warren. Amazing.

So true, and she is just one of our amazing ones. Can you imagine your anatomy professor coming in on Sundays to give one-on-one reviews in the cadaver lab before each practical? Or your assistant dean making homemade chicken noodle soup and delivering it to students under the weather? Only at Marshall. Being such a small school, every person is valued. Solid support network and strong academics/clinical exposure. They do all they can to make the process palatable and set you up for success moving forward. We crank out good family physicians, as well as send people to some of the most competitive residencies in the country every year.

Starting MS-3 here tomorrow. How in the world I ended up in the middle of West Virginia for med school is a mystery, but I am grateful every single day for this place.

Best of luck to all. Look forward to meeting you at your interviews! (If you are out of state, it will be December or later.)

Reactions: 2 users
So true, and she is just one of our amazing ones. Can you imagine your anatomy professor coming in on Sundays to give one-on-one reviews in the cadaver lab before each practical? Or your assistant dean making homemade chicken noodle soup and delivering it to students under the weather? Only at Marshall. Being such a small school, every person is valued. Solid support network and strong academics/clinical exposure. They do all they can to make the process palatable and set you up for success moving forward. We crank out good family physicians, as well as send people to some of the most competitive residencies in the country every year.

Starting MS-3 here tomorrow. How in the world I ended up in the middle of West Virginia for med school is a mystery, but I am grateful every single day for this place.

Best of luck to all. Look forward to meeting you at your interviews! (If you are out of state, it will be December or later.)

Hi! I have a quick question for you. About when does Marshall start sending out interview invites for in state people? Or do you know?

Hi! I have a quick question for you. About when does Marshall start sending out interview invites for in state people? Or do you know?

Hi! Just looked back through my old emails from Cindy. Remembered helping with the first group of interviewees last year. It was October 15th, so I assume about the same for this year. Will let you know if I hear otherwise!

So it seems Marshall doesn't review OOS until later in the cycle. Would I still be at a huge disadvantage if I were to add them to AMCAS now? Bordering state.