You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Marshall University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
511 3.96GPA and Veteran
I think I'm going to give up my interview spot since I've been accepted to one of my top choices and wouldn't choose Marshall over that due to the high(er) OOS tuition. @MarineMDHopeful , thank you for your service! Do Vets get IS tuition at MU like at many other schools?
Best wishes to all you SDNers!
Best wishes to all you SDNers!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Vets get IS tuition if they enroll within 3 years of discharge from active duty according to the Choice Act. Their IS tuition is significantly cheaper than most states, except maybe TX.I think I'm going to give up my interview spot since I've been accepted to one of my top choices and wouldn't choose Marshall over that due to the high(er) OOS tuition. @MarineMDHopeful , thank you for your service! Do Vets get IS tuition at MU like at many other schools?
Best wishes to all you SDNers!
Vets get IS tuition if they enroll within 3 years of discharge from active duty according to the Choice Act. Their IS tuition is significantly cheaper than most states, except maybe TX.
I've been out one too many moons for the choice act to help me unfortunately.
Anybody hear back to confirm interview date yet?
She emailed me at like 8 pm on Friday saying the date I chose was available and she would send me the information packet today.
🙁 Meh. Maybe they rescinded mine already lol.She emailed me at like 8 pm on Friday saying the date I chose was available and she would send me the information packet today.
🙁 Meh. Maybe they rescinded mine already lol.
Haha don't sweat it. I haven' gotten the informaton today so...probably just busy. She's basically a one woman operation.
I never got sent the information, anyone else get it?
Still nada.I never got sent the information, anyone else get it?
I finally just called and I think she's been out sick and is expected back tomorrow. But I did confirm my interview date.I never got sent the information, anyone else get it?
I’m pretty sure a screenshot of your unofficial transcript/ fall grades emailed to Cindy Warren works. If it doesn’t, I’ll let you know because that’s what I sent inDoes anyone know how they want us to send the copy of Fall semester grades? Do they mean an official transcript directly to their admissions office?
I’m pretty sure a screenshot of your unofficial transcript/ fall grades emailed to Cindy Warren works. If it doesn’t, I’ll let you know because that’s what I sent in
Sounds good. Thank you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Screenshot of grades works!Sounds good. Thank you.
It’s been a while since I commented on here, I’m a current M1. In our class of approximately 84 (I think 9 are repeats), we have 27 students whose hometown is out of state. Most are neighboring states. I’m actually surprised that there’s that many. Some of them did go to some college in West Virginia though.No clue but they only accept approx 15.
OOS II yesterday!
Congrats!! Mind sharing your complete date?
[/QUOTE]They gave us a date at the interview for when we would most likely hear back about decisions (which was yesterday) and the turnaround time for my interview was fast... like 9 days from interview to acceptance.
The interview was super chill. They start with a Q&A session with the dean of the school and some other key people so come prepared with questions. Then you get right in to the interviews - two interviews with faculty around 30 mins each. You also get a chance to talk to current students. Afterwards, they take you on a tour. It's super personable, and was a really pleasant morning.
Were there any interview questions that threw you off?? Interview this weekend and just trying to mentally prepare 🙂
Congrats!! Mind sharing your complete date?
Complete late September. LM ~ 69ish.
Were there any interview questions that threw you off?? Interview this weekend and just trying to mentally prepare 🙂[/QUOTE]
Ummmm I was asked by one interviewer why I would even want to come back to WV and if I wouldn't rather stay in Philly (currently at UPenn doing research) which kinda threw me off, but that was pretty specific to me and my application. I was accepted shortly after. The interviewers were friendly and and the tone was conversational.
Ummmm I was asked by one interviewer why I would even want to come back to WV and if I wouldn't rather stay in Philly (currently at UPenn doing research) which kinda threw me off, but that was pretty specific to me and my application. I was accepted shortly after. The interviewers were friendly and and the tone was conversational.[/QUOTE]Were there any interview questions that threw you off?? Interview this weekend and just trying to mentally prepare 🙂
Cuz Philly is hood. lol sorry couldn't help it, lived there a long time ago.
Interviewed here today. Cindy Warren was as amazing as everyone said. Liked how they were so hands on with each matriculant.
Double post.
the sdn thread for this school is so dead.
Interviewed here last week. OOS. It really is an instate school. OOS selection feels like a coin flip.
Interviewed here last week. OOS. It really is an instate school. OOS selection feels like a coin flip.
Interview are 1v1. Questions depend on who you interview with. They have a committee of people you interview with. It could be a doctor, it could be a researcher, another student, the librarian, the music director, an instructor. You never know. The questions I got from one interviewer was vastly different from what I got from my other interviewer. It just depends who you get. And yes they will discuss your secondaries with you. If you have a C anywhere, then you will have to explain it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a ton of C's lol and no one asked me about it. One interviewer did ask me about strange classes on my transcript, so they're definitely looking at each class individually. I'm a vet and one of my interviewers just talked to me about the military (in a good way) the whole time and the other kinda went on about how war is never right and that religion is taken out of context to justify our military operations abroad (very awkward, but I think I backed myself out of it okay). That interviewer also asked about other things I wrote in my essay, which were personal, but because I wrote about it, it was fair game. Neither asked tough questions, but both wanted to know why I applied there specifically.Interview are 1v1. Questions depend on who you interview with. They have a committee of people you interview with. It could be a doctor, it could be a researcher, another student, the librarian, the music director, an instructor. You never know. The questions I got from one interviewer was vastly different from what I got from my other interviewer. It just depends who you get. And yes they will discuss your secondaries with you. If you have a C anywhere, then you will have to explain it.
I have a ton of C's lol and no one asked me about it. One interviewer did ask me about strange classes on my transcript, so they're definitely looking at each class individually. I'm a vet and one of my interviewers just talked to me about the military (in a good way) the whole time and the other kinda went on about how war is never right and that religion is taken out of context to justify our military operations abroad (very awkward, but I think I backed myself out of it okay). That interviewer also asked about other things I wrote in my essay, which were personal, but because I wrote about it, it was fair game. Neither asked tough questions, but both wanted to know why I applied there specifically.
Haha I am guessing the pro military one was Dr. Clements. That's all we did at my interview too.
This is very important to know considering i directly stated their relationship with the VA in Huntington in why I am applying to them. I wonder how they will approach my mention of a friend passing from overdose since they are suffering so much down there.I have a ton of C's lol and no one asked me about it. One interviewer did ask me about strange classes on my transcript, so they're definitely looking at each class individually. I'm a vet and one of my interviewers just talked to me about the military (in a good way) the whole time and the other kinda went on about how war is never right and that religion is taken out of context to justify our military operations abroad (very awkward, but I think I backed myself out of it okay). That interviewer also asked about other things I wrote in my essay, which were personal, but because I wrote about it, it was fair game. Neither asked tough questions, but both wanted to know why I applied there specifically.
They are going to talk a lot about their commitment to reducing opioid addiction. I think if you have personal experience, it won't hurt you to mention how important it is to you. Huntington is the epicenter of the opioid crisis.This is very important to know considering i directly stated their relationship with the VA in Huntington in why I am applying to them. I wonder how they will approach my mention of a friend passing from overdose since they are suffering so much down there.
"
Depends on who you get. One guy asked me about my 3 C's, why I want to go to school there, my passions, my military service and some other stuff.
The other guy had a set of pre-typed questions that we went through and after we talked about food and hobbies.
Questions depend on who you interview with. They have a committee of people you interview with. It could be a doctor, it could be a researcher, another student, the librarian, the music director, an instructor. You never know. The questions I got from one interviewer was vastly different from what I got from my other interviewer.
Depends on who you get. One guy asked me about my 3 C's, why I want to go to school there, my passions, my military service and some other stuff.
The other guy had a set of pre-typed questions that we went through and after we talked about food and hobbies.
If anyone's interviewing tomorrow morning, look forward to meeting you! Just wanted to drop in and say please don't be nervous. We are maybe the chillest medical school in the country. Going to be a lot of fun, I promise.
If anyone's interviewing tomorrow morning, look forward to meeting you! Just wanted to drop in and say please don't be nervous. We are maybe the chillest medical school in the country. Going to be a lot of fun, I promise.
Do you have any idea when on hold IS applicants will be reviewed/how many IS spots are still open?
I don't. One of our interviewees today was IS, so there are still spots. How many, I don't know. Sorry this isn't more helpful.Do you have any idea when on hold IS applicants will be reviewed/how many IS spots are still open?
It was such a pleasure meeting you today! You definitely contributed to a great interview day!If anyone's interviewing tomorrow morning, look forward to meeting you! Just wanted to drop in and say please don't be nervous. We are maybe the chillest medical school in the country. Going to be a lot of fun, I promise.
Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Glad to hear! I had a blast with you all😀. Best of luck to everyone!It was such a pleasure meeting you today! You definitely contributed to a great interview day!
Do these schools realize how much anxiety we get from waiting on them to tell us if we got in or not?
Any OOS heard anything yet?
Not yetAny OOS heard anything yet?
Not yet
Nada. I remember Cindy saying probably not until April; when they know how many IS students there are going to be.
Can anyone confirm this; kinda came in on the tail end of that announcement, so not guaranteeing accuracy. It's just where I set my own expectations.
Cindy said mid to late Feb for us.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah she told us mid to late February for the guaranteed seats and if not then, then definitely after the April 30th if there’s extra seatsCindy said mid to late Feb for us.
Yeah she told us mid to late February for the guaranteed seats and if not then, then definitely after the April 30th if there’s extra seats
So there's hope! Thanks for the clarifications.
OOS rejected LM 71 complete late July
LM 71?
Did you interview? if so, when did you interview?
Considering they only have like what 15 OOS seats usually, a lot of us might be getting these rejections.
OOS accepted today. Ms. Warren called me this afternoon.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K