You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Oregon Health & Sciences University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Oregon resident, I'll be applying here this cycle
Don't lie, we all know you're a Philadelphia resident!Oregon resident, I'll be applying here this cycle
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS this year. Will be applying MD/MPH. Chances are slim, I know. But the opportunity for work with the homeless community in Portland (as well as the outdoor recreation opportunities) make this my dream school, so I figured why not shoot for the stars?
Interviewed here last cycle, but didn't get in.
Will be OOS with strong ties to the state.
Will be OOS with strong ties to the state.
Sorry to hear that. Do you feel like there was a reason why you didnt get in (i.e. applying too late or lower scores)?Interviewed here last cycle, but didn't get in.
Will be OOS with strong ties to the state.
Sorry to hear that. Do you feel like there was a reason why you didnt get in (i.e. applying too late or lower scores)?
I don't think it was either of those issues. My scores were fine evidently as I got an interview and applying early only helps in getting the interview. OHSU places a strong emphasis on the holistic aspect, so they like to see life experiences, especially clinical exposure and service hours, which I think I lacked last year. If you look at OHSU's average matriculant age, you'll see its 26, one of the highest of all MD Schools.
Thanks for sharing. Wishing you the best this cycle!I don't think it was either of those issues. My scores were fine evidently as I got an interview and applying early only helps in getting the interview. OHSU places a strong emphasis on the holistic aspect, so they like to see life experiences, especially clinical exposure and service hours, which I think I lacked last year. If you look at OHSU's average matriculant age, you'll see its 26, one of the highest of all MD Schools.
OHSU places a strong emphasis on the holistic aspect, so they like to see life experiences, especially clinical exposure and service hours, which I think I lacked last year. If you look at OHSU's average matriculant age, you'll see its 26, one of the highest of all MD Schools.
This. People underestimate OHSU's emphasis on holistic review. Life experience goes a long way there. I've had friends who were IS with stats way above the median that didn't get any love from OHSU because they lacked that on their application. Likewise, one thing that members of the admissions committee at OHSU have told me is that it's important to support everything. Claim to have an interest in rural care? Better support it with ECs. Claim to have an interest in supporting marginalized communities? Better support it with ECs. They also like to see someone with a unique story that creates a compelling narrative for pursuing medicine.
Applying from MI ... good luck everyone [emoji109]. Will be 27 during matriculation year... non traditional student (took 2 years off from college to just go live a little and really figure myself out).
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last edited:
Applying from MI ... good luck everyone [emoji109]. Will be 27 during matriculation year... non traditional student (took 2 years off from college to just go live a little and really figure myself out).
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
As another old student, good luck! What mission group are you part of?
As an older applicant (28), the fact that OHSU places such a big emphasis on life experience is a big plus for me. Will likely be applying here!
This secondary is killing me
Are you pre-writing or did you already get a secondary?This secondary is killing me
Are you pre-writing or did you already get a secondary?
Pre-writing. AMCAS doesn't send out primaries to schools for another 17 days so no one has received secondaries yet. If there is any secondary to pre-writer, it is this one.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're not too OOS friendly here unless you fall into one of the mission groups outlined here.How is this school on OSS applicants? and financial aid lol?
Im from Maryland so may they'll cut me some slack for only having one IS school.
The MSAR says on thing, but often SDN knows more about the trends...
How is this school on OSS applicants? and financial aid lol?
Im from Maryland so may they'll cut me some slack for only having one IS school.
The MSAR says on thing, but often SDN knows more about the trends...
Look through their mission groups. High stat applicants are a mission group, but I'm not sure what percentage of people they take from that group. Their OOS matriculant stats are a little skewed because the majority of OOS students still have strong ties to Oregon. I've also heard that OHSU has minimal financial aid. Likewise, as an OOS student in Oregon, you are ineligible to get IS tuition during your 4 years. That OOS of OHSU isn't cheap.
They're not too OOS friendly here unless you fall into one of the mission groups outlined here.
Look through their mission groups. High stat applicants are a mission group, but I'm not sure what percentage of people they take from that group. Their OOS matriculant stats are a little skewed because the majority of OOS students still have strong ties to Oregon. I've also heard that OHSU has minimal financial aid. Likewise, as an OOS student in Oregon, you are ineligible to get IS tuition during your 4 years. That OOS of OHSU isn't cheap.
Just crossed off my list 🙁
I'm not in their mission based group, except for my URM status. saves on the $$ though!
Good luck!
I'm OOS but applying MD/MPH and maybe High Stats (waiting on MCAT score but GPA and EC's are there). Stoked to ride this train with you all!
This secondary is killing me
Me too! So many personal stories! I can't decide where to even start with some of them. This is one that I will be really bummed if the questions aren't the same...
I'm applying OOS, alumni of an OR uni, though... fingers crossed----would be stoked to go back to PDX.
Good luck everyone 🙂
Having finals right now on quarter system, much rather be doing this supposedly bad secondary!
Having finals right now on quarter system, much rather be doing this supposedly bad secondary!
I'm on a quarter system too. Used these secondaries as a distraction from studying.
I remember my first OHSU thread. 10 years ago, when I was applying to medical school.
Since then, there hasn't been a single year where the name of the school was actually correct in the school-specific thread.
#EndRant #GoodLuckEveryone
Since then, there hasn't been a single year where the name of the school was actually correct in the school-specific thread.
#EndRant #GoodLuckEveryone
I remember my first OHSU thread. 10 years ago, when I was applying to medical school.
Since then, there hasn't been a single year where the name of the school was actually correct in the school-specific thread.
#EndRant #GoodLuckEveryone
lol, I didn't even notice this. I remember back when it was Oregon Health Sciences University...
Anyone have a clue when we can expect that first batch of secondaries? I see on MSAR that the first day they can be submitted is July 15th, so maybe then?
Anyone have a clue when we can expect that first batch of secondaries? I see on MSAR that the first day they can be submitted is July 15th, so maybe then?
According to last year's thread, someone received one today (July 6th). No idea if that will be repeated this year. For what it's worth, OHSU is notoriously slow, so patience is a virtue when dealing with this school
Secondary received today
Surprise surprise, one question changed this year. Here are the questions:
What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve? (1500 characters)
What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1500 characters)
Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience. (1500 characters)
Describe a time when you did not receive what you felt you deserved, and how you reacted. (1500 characters)
Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond? (1500 characters)
Please discuss the diversity that you would bring to the OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine. (2000 characters)
@Lucca
What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve? (1500 characters)
What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1500 characters)
Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience. (1500 characters)
Describe a time when you did not receive what you felt you deserved, and how you reacted. (1500 characters)
Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond? (1500 characters)
Please discuss the diversity that you would bring to the OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine. (2000 characters)
@Lucca
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got my secondary today. So whats the deal with giving a brief description of all the AMCAS activities? do they not read the primary? Do we just copy and paste from our primary? I'm not about to write ANOTHER set of descriptions for my list of activities when this can so easily be found in my main application haha
I pretty much just picked and chose the more significant ones from my primary, and then added a couple of additional activities that have occurred since.Just got my secondary today. So whats the deal with giving a brief description of all the AMCAS activities? do they not read the primary? Do we just copy and paste from our primary? I'm not about to write ANOTHER set of descriptions for my list of activities when this can so easily be found in my main application haha
Anybody know if OOS applicants NEED to have greater than a 3.70 GPA to be considered? Based on this page.
Yeah, unless you qualify for any other mission group. I'd guess that the 3.70 is just a cut-off and that OOS matriculants are more competitive than that.
haven't received secondaries yet, anyone else?
@aaronrodgers me either...
Just got the secondary this morning! 8:16am PST
haven't received secondaries yet, anyone else?
They send them out in batches of 50
Got one this morning. Anyone else here applying MD/MPH?
still haven't received secondary, should i email or is someone else in the same boat?
Same boat!still haven't received secondary, should i email or is someone else in the same boat?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
still haven't received secondary, should i email or is someone else in the same boat?
They don't screen. Don't stress, OHSU is just notoriously slow.
Hi everyone! I am missmartian and a current student at OHSU! I was in your boat recently, and I am happy to answer questions about the OHSU application "life" (honestly this application stuff becomes a lifestyle 😉)
Few things about me:
I was a high GPA, low MCAT applicant
URM, Out of State (I know shocker for this school right?!😱)
I really like helping people, and I know this is a long road ahead. Feel free to PM me or refer to me on this message board @missmartian85.
I may not answer same day, because med school, but I will do my best to give you information when I can!
Good luck and God speed!
Few things about me:
I was a high GPA, low MCAT applicant
URM, Out of State (I know shocker for this school right?!😱)
I really like helping people, and I know this is a long road ahead. Feel free to PM me or refer to me on this message board @missmartian85.
I may not answer same day, because med school, but I will do my best to give you information when I can!
Good luck and God speed!
Anybody know if OOS applicants NEED to have greater than a 3.70 GPA to be considered? Based on this page.
Yes, unless you are a diversity applicant, or a dual degree applicant you will not be considered and should not waste your dollar bills on the secondary. As the Dean says, they have not admitted a non-mission group person in I think over 4 years, at least since the new curriculum.
Ah, yes, finally got the secondary this morning 🙂
3.62 GPA. 515 MCAT. URM. 1st Generation College Student. Economic Adversity. OOS. Not doing dual degree.
I know my GPA is just shy of the mission based 3.7 but since I also fit the diversity portion of the mission statement should I still have a shot? This is my number one choice school and I already submitted the secondary 7/15. I am a FAP recipient so did not need to pay the fee.
I know my GPA is just shy of the mission based 3.7 but since I also fit the diversity portion of the mission statement should I still have a shot? This is my number one choice school and I already submitted the secondary 7/15. I am a FAP recipient so did not need to pay the fee.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 543
- Views
- 156K
- Replies
- 730
- Views
- 222K
- Replies
- 444
- Views
- 108K
- Replies
- 664
- Views
- 172K