**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of my good friends will be joining you at DGSOM this year (well technically already joined since you guys already started? lol). I'm praying to all the deities I get some LA love this cycle haha
Orientation officially starts tomorrow for us! Kind of hard to believe :x I hope you get some LA love too, fingers crossed! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
These osteopathic secondaries are rolling in :clap:

Too bad I had to resubmit my allopathic primary :beat::diebanana::beat:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I could use some help with a school list. My GPA is 3.4 (strong upward trend), MCAT (506), and I'm a URM.

Current school list

1. Meharry
2. Moorehouse
3. Drexel
4. Temple
5. Oakland Beuamount
6. Rush
7. Rosalind Franklin
8. Loma Linda

After doing most of an MCAT prep course, my NS FLs , including diagnostic are only 505, 505, 503.

I really want to attend an HBCU medical school but I think I'm screwed.

What should I do?

After doing most of an MCAT prep course, my NS FLs , including diagnostic are only 505, 505, 503.

I really want to attend an HBCU medical school but I think I'm screwed.

What should I do?

I think that's actually good enough for HBCU's.

But you could always ask the adcoms in WAMC what they think!

I think that's actually good enough for HBCU's.

But you could always ask the adcoms in WAMC what they think!

I don't actually have the score yet so I don't know how they'd respond.

I'm taking on 8/19 and I'm just so scared of the future right now- if I don't get in I was going to try to do the EVMS SMP but I'm not sure.

Hey everyone. I could use some help with a school list. My GPA is 3.4 (strong upward trend), MCAT (506), and I'm a URM.

Current school list

1. Meharry
2. Moorehouse
3. Drexel
4. Temple
5. Oakland Beuamount
6. Rush
7. Rosalind Franklin
8. Loma Linda

What is your state of residence?

I would personally add Loyola, Howard, MCW, Wayne State, VCU (if science GPA is higher only), Penn State, Tulane.

I did a bunch of MSAR research on these schools and have similar stats to you as a URM. I can PM you but I have several II's already at a couple of these schools.

Will be applying this cycle. Just got my MCAT score today and will submit my primary today (I know it's a bit late :<)
What do ya'll think are my chances? And do you see any schools I could add or remove from my list?

Year in school: Graduated in 2016.
Country/state of residence: New Jersey (DACA recipient) URM
Schools to which you are applying: Einstein, Columbia, UCLA, Geisel, Georgetown, Harvard, Howard, Icahn, Hopkins, Keck, Stritch, Northwestern, UPenn, Rosalind F., NJMS, Rutger RWJ, Thomas Jefferson, Stanford, SUNY Downstate, Tulane, Charles Drew @ ucla, UCSF, UC Irvine, Brown, Cornell, Yale. I know it's very top heavy but because of my DACA status the lists of schools I can apply to is limited.
Cumulative GPA: 3.87, LizzyM: 67.7
Science GPA: 3.92
MCAT Scores: 4/18/15 499 (126/126/125/122) , 6/29/17 506 (125/125/128/128)
Research – summer Organic Chem research (1 co-author pub in JACS). 4 years working on research on undocumented people and well being (1800 hours) (5 presentations at conferences)
Physician shadowing – I'm starting to shadow my PI now. Have done about 8 hours.
Non-clinical volunteering - Have volunteered for a non-profit that helps and advocated for Latinx communities in my area since 2006. (500 hours)
Extracurricular activities: President of Social Justice club, VP of Honor societies, Orientation Team, Resident Assistant (2700 hours)
Employment history: Tutor at school's tutoring center (400 hours), Program intern for large health foundation in NYC (400 hours), Outreach intern for cancer center in NYC (1008 hours), Clinical Research coordinator for medical school in NYC (3000 hours)
Specialty of interest: Primary Care

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. I'm going into overdrive to put my all into these secondaries. Tears are already falling form stress.

Hey y'all, pretty sure I haven't introduced myself here yet
Mexican-American Male
GPA: ~3.3 with post-bacc 4.0
Science GPA: ~3.3
MCAT: 520
-Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours in hospital
-Non Clinical Volunteering - tutoring, teacher, some stuff through hispanic org, and medical device internship

-Shadowing- about 150 hours of primary care
-Research - 1 year but no pubs

Hopefully we get some love this cycle, been a long time coming. Hoping to get all my secondaries in by mid august and should be verified by then as well

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
First II at Rochester!!!! Currently freaking out!

Also this is extremely late since I was (and still am) in a coma finishing secondaries, but congrats to all with invites! For those without IIs, stay patient! It is still early in the cycle

Reactions: 17 users
Applying to 45 schools is a lot more draining than I thought
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone aware how many medical schools participate in CASPer

Anyone else taking MCAT on 8/19?

Hello loves!

I really hesitated putting this out here just bc the interwebs (esp. forums like SDN) can be a bastion of negativity but when I stumbled across this thread I knew I had to participate. You all are so supportive and positive!

Background: AA, Female.
Metrics: LizzyM 62.5, MCAT 508 (unbalanced though) GPA 3.25, sGPA 3.1
Volunteering: Food Bank, working with an organization in my area to address food deserts
Clinical Experience: Working as a Medical Assistant
Leadership: 2nd in command Project Manager in my Dept. at my last job, Coordinator of a program in undergrad (for work)
Research: Worked as a research assistant in undergrad but that's it :(
Work Experience: All I DO is work lol. I've worked full-time for the past 3 years while doing DIY post-bacc.
School List: Charles Drew (top choice), Howard, Albert Einstein, Drexel, SUNY Downstate, USF, NYITCOM, PCOM, Nova Southeastern, KCUCOM

Maybes: Tulane, Temple, UMD (my state school)

Reactions: 11 users
Hello everyone,

I tested on 7/22 and have already submitted. And I am pre-writing all of my secondaries.
My AAMC practice test was a 501/500 [121 in cars :( ]
With a 3.8c and 3.7s,
3 years of clinical experience
1 year of research, 1 publication
4 years of work experience at the same company
lots of leadership, volunteering and good letters & disadvantaged background
do you think a 500 and 3.8 is a good shot for URM- female?

I have applied to
Howard Morehouse and Loyola so far. These school admit <500 MCAT scores, so I feel these would be my best shot.

I am thinking of adding, but still nervous to do so:
Rutgers-Newark, George Washington, UMaryland= my state school, VCU, pennstate, temple and tulane.

I feel like the rest of my app is really strong. A good PS with a strong story.
please let me know :)

Hello everyone,

I tested on 7/22 and have already submitted. And I am pre-writing all of my secondaries.
With a 3.8c and 3.7s,

I have applied to
Howard Morehouse and Loyola so far. These school admit <500 MCAT scores, so I feel these would be my best shot.

Rutgers-Newark, George Washington, UMaryland= my state school, VCU, pennstate, temple and tulane.

According to this table, you would have ~84% chance of acceptance with a 3.8 and 500. But note that VCU requires a minimum 503 on the MCAT or you'll be screened out. I don't know anything about the other schools, sorry.

Wishing you the best of luck this admissions cycle :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone,

With a 3.8c and 3.7s,

I have applied to

Be mindful that VCU's MCAT min is 503. So if you get that I'd definitely apply but don't lose your money if you don not!

Just updating everyone, been swamped at research so been MIA on the thread. Congrats to Everyone that has just submitted or has gotten their first IIs.

I have gotten 2 IIs
Morehouse MD
Nebraska MD PhD

Pretty pumped, did not expect to hear back this early.

Reactions: 12 users
Long time lurker finally posting, some feedback would be great!

B.S. Biology with Honors
Graduated: May 2016
Reapplicant
First gen college student
Dean's list every semester
NC resident
URM (black and Hispanic male)
FAP applicant
cGPA: 3.8 sGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 496 (9/2016) then 500 (6/2017)... Kinda scared this will hold me back from getting in :( Thoughts?
Resident: NC
ECs: Lab Research: 1.5 years, honors thesis, poster presentation at university showcase, no publications, applied and received 2 small grants for my research.
Clinical employment: clinical research coordinator with significant patient interaction (draw blood, recruit patients, take medical/medication histories, give injection, etc) full time, 1 year, over 1000 hours.
Clinical volunteering: 30 hours at local hospital (low, I know)
Non-clinical employment: office assistant, cashier for grocery store.
Non-clinical volunteering: Fraternity requires us to obtain at least 12 hours of community service a semester, so ~85 hours.
Leadership: Resident assistant for 2 years in a freshman residence hall, 2 years on the executive board of my fraternity, leadership conference for my fraternity.
Shadowing: 60 hours shadowing a hospitalist that I also work with. He's also writing me a LOR.
Hobbies: weight lifting, lost 65 lbs since my junior year of college.

Schools: UNC, ECU (top choice), Wake Forest, Meharry, Morehouse, Howard, Uniformed Services University, Penn State, Stritch, Indiana University, Oakland University, William Beaumont , Wayne State (I have an interview this month), Cooper.
Do you think I have a chance in getting in despite my avg MCAT score?

Last edited:
Can finally join the II club! Just got my first one at SUNY Downstate :) I just spilled my freshly made nachos from the excitement, lol.

Reactions: 14 users
Long time lurker finally posting, some feedback would be great!

B.S. Biology with Honors
Graduated: May 2016
Reapplicant
First gen college student
Dean's list every semester
NC resident
URM (black and Hispanic male)
FAP applicant
cGPA: 3.8 sGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 496 (9/2016) then 500 (6/2017)... Kinda scared this will hold me back from getting in :( Thoughts?
Resident: NC
ECs: Lab Research: 1.5 years, honors thesis, poster presentation at university showcase, no publications, applied and received 2 small grants for my research.
Clinical employment: clinical research coordinator with significant patient interaction (draw blood, recruit patients, take medical/medication histories, give injection, etc) full time, 1 year, over 1000 hours.
Clinical volunteering: 30 hours at local hospital (low, I know)
Non-clinical employment: office assistant, cashier for grocery store.
Non-clinical volunteering: Fraternity requires us to obtain at least 12 hours of community service a semester, so ~85 hours.
Leadership: Resident assistant for 2 years in a freshman residence hall, 2 years on the executive board of my fraternity, leadership conference for my fraternity.
Shadowing: 60 hours shadowing a hospitalist that I also work with. He's also writing me a LOR.
Hobbies: weight lifting, lost 65 lbs since my junior year of college.

Schools: UNC, ECU (top choice), Wake Forest, Meharry, Morehouse, Howard, Uniformed Services University, Penn State, Stritch, Indiana University, Oakland University, William Beaumont , Wayne State (I have an interview this month), Cooper.
Do you think I have a chance in getting in despite my avg MCAT score?

I just checked your LizzyM and it says you have an 84% chance of acceptance. You seem to have great ECs and a great GPA. The fact that you have an interview from a school shows that they legitimately consider you as a member of their school of medicine. You've just gotta strut your stuff in that interview. ECU, I hear, is a great school, only takes IS residents, and their MCAT cutoff isn't too high. I think you'd be competitive there, among other places on your list. Good luck!! And congrats on the interview at Wayne State :)

Can finally join the II club! Just got my first one at SUNY Downstate :) I just spilled my freshly made nachos from the excitement, lol.
Congrats!! What were your stats? I'm really hoping to get an interview here as well!

Thank you! I'm extremely nervous about my upcoming interview so I hope all goes well!

Has anyone received emails telling them to apply to University of Minnesota and to Cleveland Clinic Lerner College? I got these emails today.

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews! I'm trying to get like y'all lol.

Question! How are people approaching the diversity secondaries? Do you guys think it is too cliche to just plainly say "I am African-American/an immigrant/from a low socioeconomic status and because my community is underserved, I want to serve them through medicine". Obviously longer but like...is it okay to just be direct about.

Any general tips for diversity secondaries?

Thanks guys!

Has anyone received emails telling them to apply to University of Minnesota and to Cleveland Clinic Lerner College? I got these emails today.

Yeh I got those. The nice thing about Cleveland Clinic is that there's only one primary and secondary fee that you need to pay to be considered for both Case Western and Cleveland Clinic

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews! I'm trying to get like y'all lol.

Question! How are people approaching the diversity secondaries? Do you guys think it is too cliche to just plainly say "I am African-American/an immigrant/from a low socioeconomic status and because my community is underserved, I want to serve them through medicine". Obviously longer but like...is it okay to just be direct about.

Thanks guys!

I think it is kind of cliche to mention race in your diversity essay since they have access to your demographic information. I thought about it more as "diversity in experiences and interests" rather than "diversity in ethnicity and race."

Thanks guys!

Not necessarily, especially if you have experiences that back up this claim. Then your ethnicity could be used as context for your motivation. This thread had some good insight with multiple and sometimes contrasting advice. from adcoms about the diversity essay: Diversity - The fear of Goro in me

Bottom line is there is no right or wrong way and its all about how your relate it to your overall narrative.

Reactions: 7 users