**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waiting for that first II...any day now...
tenor.gif
 
Waiting for that first II...any day now...

If it helps, I applied the first time back for the 2016 cycle with a 25 MCAT and still managed to get 2 MD interviews (MMI and Trad; rejected and waitlisted respectfully) and 1 DO interview (first ever interview, was nervous). Received the invites October and December. You have better odds than I did the first time, and probably more ECs. Have patience, and you will be fine!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That moment when the school you received an II rejects your job application for entry-level positions 3 times in one week. Wth?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
1-4. I think you would if you score is decent. However my only problem is that you submitted your test. What were you scoring on your practice exams? Every time you agree to have your exam scored, it counts against you. If you weren't scoring competitively and moreover, scoring above a 500 or close to it during practice exams, I would have absolutely voided my exam. You run the scary possibility of not improving if you score was too close to 492 and that sucks. It's hard, but you have to be patient. Even more patient when you have to take the exam more than twice. However I don't think it's over for you and if you don't like what you score this time around, I would for sure take the test again and not submit for a score on the real thing until you show substantial improvement. I've been told that a score of +6 is a good improvement. So I think if you score a 497 on this exam, you will be fine. Just be very mindful of where you apply to. It is true that the more you take the test, the less attractive of an applicant you become but I think one can overcome that if the score is good enough.

Should you have to take a 4th exam, you would have to hit a 503/505 in my opinion to offset the others. That's just my two cents. I think August is late, but schools are weird. It's possible to find success and I pray that you find it. In the meantime write those secondaries and have that shiiit sent in immediately so you play catch up. Also don't have your mind set purely on MD. There are other routes to take like DO. Your end goal is to become a physician is it not? I hope you realize/find comfort in the fact that you're entering a profession where you will be judged by your professionalism every day, and a profession where your patients will not care about the letters behind your name but about how you treat them during their visit.

I wish you the best and fully believe you are on your way to success no matter the path you take! @awad2893
Thank you for the words of encouragement! The first two attempts at the exam were burdened by external forces. Ya know, life happens sometimes. This time around I was scoring consistently in the low 500s on NS full length exams. My AAMC 1 and 2 full lengths scores were 509 and 503 respectively. Which is a substantial improvement from the full length I took before my second attempt (491 if I recall). I am just feeling a little uneasy about my pending score as the last two times were unsuccessful. I just pray to God that I don't need a fourth attempt. The malignant spirit of that exam still haunts me. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
 
Last edited:
I know this was brought up before, but I'm still struggling with the diversity question. I am part of the LGBT community, I'm African American, and I'm from a low-income family. Should I talk about all three of these identities and how they affect my world view and so on? Or should I just focus on one identity? I've never really had to answer the diversity question before so I'm not sure how to start it. Thanks!
 
I know this was brought up before, but I'm still struggling with the diversity question. I am part of the LGBT community, I'm African American, and I'm from a low-income family. Should I talk about all three of these identities and how they affect my world view and so on? Or should I just focus on one identity? I've never really had to answer the diversity question before so I'm not sure how to start it. Thanks!

Well I don't believe a person has just one identity, depending on the character limit, I would speak on all three with a good transition. All three of those identities shape the Mosaic that is you. Go get em, it sounds like a fun essay to read already.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any URMs get invited to interview at Penn State? I'm wondering whether it's worth it to bring my mom or dad to the reception the night before the very first interview.

I did, but I am not bringing my parents to Hershey, plus I am not interviewing that first day.
 
Hey I'm in need of some advice desperately.
I'm an AA female with a cGPA of 3.67, with a downward trend my senior year(I just posted in the wamc forum if you want to know the full story) due to some family issues. My mcat is 497, I applied last year in October to 15 schools, got 1 interview. My EC's are decent. I want to apply again this cycle but it is too late? I plan to be complete by Labor Day. Do I have a chance? Is my only step to retake the mcat and try for next cycle?
It would be a mistake to apply again this late in a cycle. Submitting by Labor Day means your application won't be verified until October. You will be much more likely to get interviews if you wait a few months, submit in June for the next cycle, and in the meantime take an MCAT review course and improve your MCAT score.
 
Hi friends,

For those with multiple IIs, how are you prioritizing them? I'm at a point where Sept. is fairly booked but am receiving limited interview dates in Sept. from schools that I like more ( relatively). I was also thinking about it from the perspective that you should practice at like 3 schools before doing places you'd *really* like to go... thoughts?
 
Hi friends,

For those with multiple IIs, how are you prioritizing them? I'm at a point where Sept. is fairly booked but am receiving limited interview dates in Sept. from schools that I like more ( relatively). I was also thinking about it from the perspective that you should practice at like 3 schools before doing places you'd *really* like to go... thoughts?

Yeh September and beginning of October is pretty much booked for me. I have been calling schools asking for later dates than what was available on their schedule and so far I haven't had any problems yet.

Also I have been leaving the most important ones to later dates so by the time I get to them I would have had a lot of practice.
 
Yeh September and beginning of October is pretty much booked for me. I have been calling schools asking for later dates than what was available on their schedule and so far I haven't had any problems yet.

Also I have been leaving the most important ones to later dates so by the time I get to them I would have had a lot of practice.
And we shouldn't be concerned that postponing an interview a month or two past when is available will somehow decrease chances of acceptance?
 
And we shouldn't be concerned that postponing an interview a month or two past when is available will somehow decrease chances of acceptance?
Depends on the school. For those that are rolling admissions, earlier is better in my view.
 
Depends on the school. For those that are rolling admissions, earlier is better in my view.

Hmm I was under the impression that interviews were rolling (as in applying earlier is better) and acceptances were not (as in interviewing later isn't any better than interviewing earlier). There are a lot more things they need to consider when handing an interviewee an acceptance than handing an applicant an interview. Like fit and if handed an acceptance would that person actually attend etc..
 
Hmm I was under the impression that interviews were rolling (as in applying earlier is better) and acceptances were not (as in interviewing later isn't any better than interviewing earlier). There are a lot more things they need to consider when handing an interviewee an acceptance than handing an applicant an interview. Like fit and if handed an acceptance would that person actually attend etc..
Some schools have waves of acceptances, so it is sort of rolling admissions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm I was under the impression that interviews were rolling (as in applying earlier is better) and acceptances were not (as in interviewing later isn't any better than interviewing earlier). There are a lot more things they need to consider when handing an interviewee an acceptance than handing an applicant an interview. Like fit and if handed an acceptance would that person actually attend etc..

Some schools do have rolling admissions (USC is one), so I do think that an earlier interview will make your odds slightly better for an acceptance. That being said, if being well prepared for an interview means choosing a later date then its fine to interview later.
 
For those that do rolling admissions what would be considered early? I'd imagine interviewing before November is relatively early bc most places interview until march.
That is really school dependent. For a school that interviews into March, you are right. Some schools finish in January, and some even earlier. I would say look up the school's timeline from last year, and based on that and our "guesstablished" November-March estimate of early, calibrate from there. Just my two cents!
 
Is anyone applying/applied to Howard and can help me out with the secondary? I'm not understanding what this question means in the secondary:

"Please explain any deviations/differences in your course of study (premed requirements) in this box."

Also, I'm a tad bit concerned about the English course requirement for this school. One of my courses has English in the course number/title, the other has Writing 101 as the course number/title, but it was an English writing course. My writing 101 class is an English class , per AMCAS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that they are just asking for you to explain anything out of the norm, like your English credit with different course title. I left it blank because all my courses were pretty standard. I did not talk about any dips in gpa or academic struggles, as I had already brought that up for another question in the secondary.

Also, I would call/email them about the English class issue if you're really concerned about it. But if AMCAS accepted it, then I figure they will too.
 
I have a question I can't believe I am asking. How many interviews are you guys going to attend before you start declining?
Lol. If I get into one of my top schools in October (first round) I will cancel my 4-5 safety schools. My job is flexible but I'm realizing how much time management this process takes . Big ups to those managing 10+ interview invites! But advice from my current M1 friend was to keep safety school II and acceptances as a way to leverage financial aid from other top choices so I am trying my best to keep this in mind as well.
 
Also are you guys planning on meeting with SNMA/LMSA for the schools you are interviewing at?

Absolutely. It would be nice to hear the perspective of medical students and staff who grew up with similar culture.

BTW, holy hell are you killing it this early... and I thought my September was going to be busy...
 
Absolutely. It would be nice to hear the perspective of medical students and staff who grew up with similar culture.

BTW, holy hell are you killing it this early... and I thought my September was going to be busy...

Also only a couple schools have asked if I want to meet with an SNMA/LMSA member. Should I be emailing the admission offices of the other schools and asking if they can work a meeting with SNMA/LMSA into my interview day? Also thanks its been an unreal cycle looks like you're having a lot of success as well. Congrats! I'll be rooting for you!
 
Also only a couple schools have asked if I want to meet with an SNMA/LMSA member. Should I be emailing the admission offices of the other schools and asking if they can work a meeting with SNMA/LMSA into my interview day? Also thanks its been an unreal cycle looks like you're having a lot of success as well. Congrats! I'll be rooting for you!

If it fits in the itinerary then I don't see why not! Never hurts to inquire about it. I plan on doing it at schools I know have a strong focus on serving minority communities. So called sanctuary cities, like NYC, Miami, l.a. etc
 
Hi guys,

I'd like to share my stats. I'm a PhD student in Cell biology thinking to go into medical school. Not to switch careers, but rather to compliment my graduate education and gear towards a career in translational medicine as faculty.

A bit of background - double major in undergrad (3.6 overall GPA/3.7 science GPA) - decent school in CA. Didn't apply to MD/PhD programs, although I think I should have. Currently in grad school also in CA - 3.9 GPA with ~ 20 publications in top journals, including Cell and Science. 4 first authors in top-tier journals (research and reviews). ~700 clinical volunteering, shadowing a physician (member of my committee) and also doing monthly brigades to help at a clinic in Mexico. I think it is also important to note that I was born and raised in Mexico. Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but currently preparing and thinking to take it around January.

Do you guys have any advice/comments for me on how to make myself competitive for the application process? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Why medicine? You are obviously very qualified but why deviate from your current course?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol. If I get into one of my top schools in October (first round) I will cancel my 4-5 safety schools. My job is flexible but I'm realizing how much time management this process takes . Big ups to those managing 10+ interview invites! But advice from my current M1 friend was to keep safety school II and acceptances as a way to leverage financial aid from other top choices so I am trying my best to keep this in mind as well.
This is VERY TRUE.
 
what schools would you recommend?? beside the obvious HBCU's. I am in the same boat!
3.8C 3.7S
publication, 1500hrs clinical, 200 shadowing, 400 volunteering

So sorry for the late response. As you will realize in the not too distant future, med school iz killuh.

Anyways, I would recommend any 5 of the following schools

PCOMs, CCOM, AZCOM, NYIT, Touro-CA, Western, Nova, Campbell, or really any other DO school.

If you have a <500 MCAT I feel that as a URM, you have a good chance at the more competitive DO schools, especially with you GPA.
 

Jcasti
↑
I have a question I can't believe I am asking. How many interviews are you guys going to attend before you start declining?
I'm at 11 invites, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go to all of them

--------------------


Congratulations! That's very impressive this early. I guess you might as well start celebrating your inevitable multiple acceptances now 😛
 
Also are you guys planning on meeting with SNMA/LMSA for the schools you are interviewing at?

I would absolutely recommend it. The advice I received from some of them last cycle was invaluable. It will also give you an idea of how the school values diversity, because from my experience, the students will be brutally honest with you.
 
I'm at 11 invites, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go to all of them


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah, I'm having a similar issue. Arranging flights/hotels is becoming a nightmare. On the bright-side, I can put to test the number of times you can wear a suit in a row before dry-cleaning.

Lol. If I get into one of my top schools in October (first round) I will cancel my 4-5 safety schools. My job is flexible but I'm realizing how much time management this process takes . Big ups to those managing 10+ interview invites! But advice from my current M1 friend was to keep safety school II and acceptances as a way to leverage financial aid from other top choices so I am trying my best to keep this in mind as well.

That's solid advice I didn't consider. I honestly feel like I shouldn't be complaining, given just a month ago, I would've given a kidney to be in this position. Eustress.