**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I shared this on what are my chances but decided to post here as well.
I'd like to get some input/advise from the experts out there or anyone who's been in similar situation and had success. I'm an African American male, from a very disadvantaged background. I have my heart set on medical school. Unfortunately it has been very tough with little to no guidance. I graduated from a state school in NY with a BS in Biology.
My stats:
cGPA 3.56 sGPA 3.5
4 semesters of research, no publications.
Science tutor at my university learning center.
TA in organic chemistry for 3 semesters.
Worked as a medical scribe in the ER for 2 years.
MCAT: this is where my problem begins. After graduation I sat for the MCAT, out of pressure with relatively little prep and scored a 488. I was pretty discouraged and gave up for a bit. I bounced back a few months later and decided to try again but this time with more prep. Unfortunately things at home were tough and I had to work a lot which left me with little study time. I made the mistake of taking the exam for the second time and only scored 492.
Pretty bummed again. I did more studying and decided to go for it again. This time I scored a 501. unforunately I was completely unaware that taking the exam multiple times has dire consequences. I realized I shot myself in the foot. I knew my old scored would not get me in so I decided that my best bet would be to just try again. This time I reevaluated my strategy and took a step back and started prepping from the very beginning (read the review books all over again and kept taking practice exams under strict conditions. After proper studying I finally felt confident enough to sit for the exam a month ago and just for my score back. 510. I'm happy with this score as i came a long way. Unfortunately I am now afraid that I have completely hurt my chances. My question is given my stats and multiple MCAT scores do I have a chance at MD schools. How unfavorably will 4 attempts be viewed even if I improved each time. My ideal schools are the SUNY schools: upstate, downstate, buffalo, stony brook. As well as other NY schools: Rochester, Hofstra, NYMC. However at this point I'm willing to go anywhere. I reached out the pre medical advisor whom I have never talked to before and he recommended Caribbean schools, but I'm really against this. I'm really frustrated in myself and really need advice/input. If I wait until next June and apply will I stand a chance? Or did I completely ruin myself.
 
Hey guys! I shared this on what are my chances but decided to post here as well.
I'd like to get some input/advise from the experts out there or anyone who's been in similar situation and had success. I'm an African American male, from a very disadvantaged background. I have my heart set on medical school. Unfortunately it has been very tough with little to no guidance. I graduated from a state school in NY with a BS in Biology.
My stats:
cGPA 3.56 sGPA 3.5
4 semesters of research, no publications.
Science tutor at my university learning center.
TA in organic chemistry for 3 semesters.
Worked as a medical scribe in the ER for 2 years.
MCAT: this is where my problem begins. After graduation I sat for the MCAT, out of pressure with relatively little prep and scored a 488. I was pretty discouraged and gave up for a bit. I bounced back a few months later and decided to try again but this time with more prep. Unfortunately things at home were tough and I had to work a lot which left me with little study time. I made the mistake of taking the exam for the second time and only scored 492.
Pretty bummed again. I did more studying and decided to go for it again. This time I scored a 501. unforunately I was completely unaware that taking the exam multiple times has dire consequences. I realized I shot myself in the foot. I knew my old scored would not get me in so I decided that my best bet would be to just try again. This time I reevaluated my strategy and took a step back and started prepping from the very beginning (read the review books all over again and kept taking practice exams under strict conditions. After proper studying I finally felt confident enough to sit for the exam a month ago and just for my score back. 510. I'm happy with this score as i came a long way. Unfortunately I am now afraid that I have completely hurt my chances. My question is given my stats and multiple MCAT scores do I have a chance at MD schools. How unfavorably will 4 attempts be viewed even if I improved each time. My ideal schools are the SUNY schools: upstate, downstate, buffalo, stony brook. As well as other NY schools: Rochester, Hofstra, NYMC. However at this point I'm willing to go anywhere. I reached out the pre medical advisor whom I have never talked to before and he recommended Caribbean schools, but I'm really against this. I'm really frustrated in myself and really need advice/input. If I wait until next June and apply will I stand a chance? Or did I completely ruin myself.

Congratulations on your marked improvement! Don't listen to your premed advisor, you need not apply to any Caribbean schoos(I have to wonder, why are most premed advisors so unhelpful/incompetent????). You definitely have a chance at MD schools, I don't know much about most of the schools you applied to, but I retook the MCAT and Rochester was one of my first interview invites. While a lot of schools take all your scores into consideration some place the most weight on the most recent, and some use your highest score (Ex. Ohio State) and a few super-score. You definitely have solid EC's and solid grades, so I think you'll be fine come next year. Alas, I'm not an adcom, just a premed like yourself. So take my advice with a grain of salt....but you'll be fine.
 
Hey! I think it is still worth applying. Obviously, having multiple MCATs isn't great but it might not be a death knell either. If it were me, I would apply broadly to lower tier MD schools, all of the historically black schools (Morehouse, Howard...), and DO schools. Apply early next cycle (2018-2019 application cycle). Take this year to beef up your extracurricular activities. Find some volunteer work you like. Work a job. Take some time to really research the application process, so that when you apply next year you're an expert and can know you're giving yourself your best chance. Don't listen to your pre-med advisor; I would not apply to Caribbean schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations on your marked improvement! Don't listen to your premed advisor, you need not apply to any Caribbean schoos(I have to wonder, why are most premed advisors so unhelpful/incompetent????). You definitely have a chance at MD schools, I don't know much about most of the schools you applied to, but I retook the MCAT and Rochester was one of my first interview invites. While a lot of schools take all your scores into consideration some place the most weight on the most recent, and some use your highest score (Ex. Ohio State) and a few super-score. You definitely have solid EC's and solid grades, so I think you'll be fine come next year. Alas, I'm not an adcom, just a premed like yourself. So take my advice with a grain of salt....but you'll be fine.
Thank you so much!! I've been to hell and back with this exam. I'm finally at peace haha. So you don't think schools will screen me out because it took me 4 times to achieve a good score? By biggest fear is being screened out by simply having multiple scores. Maybe it demonstrates an inability to get it done the first time? I have to say in my situation it was really poor planning.
 
Thank you so much!! I've been to hell and back with this exam. I'm finally at peace haha. So you don't think schools will screen me out because it took me 4 times to achieve a good score? By biggest fear is being screened out by simply having multiple scores. Maybe it demonstrates an inability to get it done the first time? I have to say in my situation it was really poor planning.

I think some schools screen for multiple MCATs, but they state it upfront. So just make sure to read through admissions requirements/FAQs/etc for every school you apply at. And yeah, congrats on that huge improvement!
 
Thank you so much!! I've been to hell and back with this exam. I'm finally at peace haha. So you don't think schools will screen me out because it took me 4 times to achieve a good score? By biggest fear is being screened out by simply having multiple scores. Maybe it demonstrates an inability to get it done the first time? I have to say in my situation it was really poor planning.

No problem man, I remember the stress of all that MCAT shizz. Some schools have a limit on the number of MCAT's they take into consideration( Off the top of my mind I think Harvard and Vanderbilt are two retakes max). But those are few and far between, when I was an undergrad, my ochem TA took the mcat four times and when she applied she got 17 acceptances. First, I'd make a school list using MSAR, and from there you can post here or on the WAMC to get help from more qualified members than myself.
 
I think some schools screen for multiple MCATs, but they state it upfront. So just make sure to read through admissions requirements/FAQs/etc for every school you apply at. And yeah, congrats on that huge improvement!
Thank you!! I really appreciate the advice. I am really impressed with the support system on here. If only I knew about this sooner. Should I call the schools I'm interested in to find out how they view multiple scores?
 
Hey everyone, I've attended two MD interviews so far. If you're nervous about any of your upcoming interviews, 1) know that is entirely normal and 2) feel free to PM me if you have any questions about what to expect or how I prepared. I know this will be school dependent in some cases but hopefully I can offer advice on general questions you may have as best I can. Good luck, everyone!
 
Hey guys I hope all is well , I have been a ghost due to how crazy school has been but I just want to wish you all luck! Also I want to remind you all how important you all are to the applicant pool use this for your advantage and haggle with schools to get better scholarships down the road. last year this time I wasnt even completed as yet and still ended up with multiple acceptances and scholarships so if you are still waiting to hear back dont freak out too much. By December you will be drained with interviewing and prob skip some of them. Wish you all the best of luck and remember to support each other during the medical school process and when you start as well!
 
I had braids all through mine. Saw different styles all over. As long as you look good they won't care.

I'm thinking either my normal twist out, or putting some havanna twists in, depending on which way the money tree blows.

okay great to know! I getting braids soon and wanted to make sure I didn't have to have my hair bone straight. Thanks ladies!
 
okay great to know! I getting braids soon and wanted to make sure I didn't have to have my hair bone straight. Thanks ladies!

I don't think there's ever a need to have your hair bone straight. Unless you want to 🙂. The more people are exposed to others that have different hairstyles, the more normalized it becomes. I also assume that admission committees are more culturally aware and intelligent enough to know that natural/curly/faded/dreaded/twisted/braided hair is not automatically dirty or nonprofessional.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think there's ever a need to have your hair bone straight. Unless you want to 🙂. The more people are exposed to others that have different hairstyles, the more normalized it becomes. I also assume that admission committees are more culturally aware and intelligent enough to know that natural/curly/faded/dreaded/twisted/braided hair is not automatically dirty or nonprofessional.
Yeah. If they come for you for your hair (unless it is legitimately unprofessional) they are writing you a blank check of admission because you can report that.
 
I don't know if CASPer has something against me or if my computer sucks ass, but my government photos aren't working lol.
 
Sooo my first year friend at Harvard Med says yes to thank yous. *changes mind on sending thank you notes*. I think via email works tho. Some folks suggested handwritten letters tho
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just took CASPer and I honestly don't know how to feel- the test feels so unnecessary.
There's no "right or wrong" response...just getting a glimpse of how you respond under pressure. I thought it was kinda fun lol but it would be good prep for any MMI interviews you go on...I'm sure you did fine!
 
There's no "right or wrong" response...just getting a glimpse of how you respond under pressure. I thought it was kinda fun lol but it would be good prep for any MMI interviews you go on...I'm sure you did fine!


Yeah, I think I did fine. Someone told me CASper is really not about doing well but more about weeding people out who give really outlandish responses.

I'm sure you did well too!
 
Yeah, I think I did fine. Someone told me CASper is really not about doing well but more about weeding people out who give really outlandish responses.

I'm sure you did well too!
Well it's over! Let's see some II's from the schools requesting 🙂
 
Do the recruitment emails actually mean anything? I've gotten a bunch of schools I am already applying to and didn't real think much of it. I just got one from Wash U and I don't think I am even remotely competitive there lol. Is there any sense in applying to schools that send them out?
 
Do the recruitment emails actually mean anything? I've gotten a bunch of schools I am already applying to and didn't real think much of it. I just got one from Wash U and I don't think I am even remotely competitive there lol. Is there any sense in applying to schools that send them out?

Depends on where it came from. If it's for diversity or from a multicultural outreach office, then I would say yes.
 
Is anyone still waiting for interviews? I submitted my secondaries about two weeks ago. How long did it take for you guys to get interviews after submitting secondaries?
 
Is anyone still waiting for interviews? I submitted my secondaries about two weeks ago. How long did it take for you guys to get interviews after submitting secondaries?
This whole process is a waiting game. I received an interview invite about a week after I submitted at one school. At another school I have been complete for almost two months and I've still heard nothing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do the recruitment emails actually mean anything? I've gotten a bunch of schools I am already applying to and didn't real think much of it. I just got one from Wash U and I don't think I am even remotely competitive there lol. Is there any sense in applying to schools that send them out?

It means they are looking for applicants like you! If you're interested in the school, go ahead and apply.
 
C8nMXG_XkAA-eFd.jpg


People on SDN need to stop trying me.