**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by azolesoul, Apr 18, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. motheshow1212

motheshow1212

Jul 26, 2016
    Just updating everyone, been swamped at research so been MIA on the thread. Congrats to Everyone that has just submitted or has gotten their first IIs.

I have gotten 2 IIs
    Morehouse MD
    Nebraska MD PhD

Pretty pumped, did not expect to hear back this early.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SpringsHTTR

SpringsHTTR

Oct 14, 2016
    Beat me to it! Lol
    But very good info!!

Sir Alanna Trebond likes this.
  4. premedNC27

premedNC27

Aug 4, 2017
    Long time lurker finally posting, some feedback would be great!

B.S. Biology with Honors
    Graduated: May 2016
    Reapplicant
    First gen college student
    Dean's list every semester
    NC resident
    URM (black and Hispanic male)
    FAP applicant
    cGPA: 3.8 sGPA: 3.8
    MCAT: 496 (9/2016) then 500 (6/2017)... Kinda scared this will hold me back from getting in :( Thoughts?
    Resident: NC
    ECs: Lab Research: 1.5 years, honors thesis, poster presentation at university showcase, no publications, applied and received 2 small grants for my research.
    Clinical employment: clinical research coordinator with significant patient interaction (draw blood, recruit patients, take medical/medication histories, give injection, etc) full time, 1 year, over 1000 hours.
    Clinical volunteering: 30 hours at local hospital (low, I know)
    Non-clinical employment: office assistant, cashier for grocery store.
    Non-clinical volunteering: Fraternity requires us to obtain at least 12 hours of community service a semester, so ~85 hours.
    Leadership: Resident assistant for 2 years in a freshman residence hall, 2 years on the executive board of my fraternity, leadership conference for my fraternity.
    Shadowing: 60 hours shadowing a hospitalist that I also work with. He's also writing me a LOR.
    Hobbies: weight lifting, lost 65 lbs since my junior year of college.

Schools: UNC, ECU (top choice), Wake Forest, Meharry, Morehouse, Howard, Uniformed Services University, Penn State, Stritch, Indiana University, Oakland University, William Beaumont , Wayne State (I have an interview this month), Cooper.
    Do you think I have a chance in getting in despite my avg MCAT score?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Poloman4 likes this.
  5. teamoteamo

teamoteamo 2+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Where The Wild Things Are
    Can finally join the II club! Just got my first one at SUNY Downstate :) I just spilled my freshly made nachos from the excitement, lol.

6. teamoteamo

Apr 11, 2015
    I just checked your LizzyM and it says you have an 84% chance of acceptance. You seem to have great ECs and a great GPA. The fact that you have an interview from a school shows that they legitimately consider you as a member of their school of medicine. You've just gotta strut your stuff in that interview. ECU, I hear, is a great school, only takes IS residents, and their MCAT cutoff isn't too high. I think you'd be competitive there, among other places on your list. Good luck!! And congrats on the interview at Wayne State :)

premedNC27 and Poloman4 like this.
  7. cugatron

cugatron 2+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Congrats!! What were your stats? I'm really hoping to get an interview here as well!

8. teamoteamo

Apr 11, 2015
    Thank you :) ~3.6/502. Good luck!

9. premedNC27

premedNC27

Aug 4, 2017
    Thank you! I'm extremely nervous about my upcoming interview so I hope all goes well!

teamoteamo likes this.
  10. ETC&chemiosmosis

ETC&chemiosmosis

Dec 25, 2016
    +1!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

docchocolate and teamoteamo like this.
  11. teamoteamo

Apr 11, 2015
    Congrats!! Hopefully we have one of the same sessions and can cross paths :)

12. BurntFlower

BurntFlower 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    Has anyone received emails telling them to apply to University of Minnesota and to Cleveland Clinic Lerner College? I got these emails today.

Upstage and Poloman4 like this.
  13. AlmostADoctor1996

AlmostADoctor1996

Mar 16, 2017
    Yeah I got those too.

14. scaredadvocate

scaredadvocate [redacted] 2+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Convoluted Tubule
    Congratulations to everyone getting interviews! I'm trying to get like y'all lol.

Question! How are people approaching the diversity secondaries? Do you guys think it is too cliche to just plainly say "I am African-American/an immigrant/from a low socioeconomic status and because my community is underserved, I want to serve them through medicine". Obviously longer but like...is it okay to just be direct about.

Any general tips for diversity secondaries?

Thanks guys!

15. Orthopedics101

Orthopedics101 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Nov 9, 2015
    Old Trafford
    MDApps:
    Yeh I got those. The nice thing about Cleveland Clinic is that there's only one primary and secondary fee that you need to pay to be considered for both Case Western and Cleveland Clinic

Poloman4 likes this.
  16. Orthopedics101

Nov 9, 2015
    Old Trafford
    MDApps:
    I think it is kind of cliche to mention race in your diversity essay since they have access to your demographic information. I thought about it more as "diversity in experiences and interests" rather than "diversity in ethnicity and race."

TheVisionary and O.T.I. like this.
  17. Chromium Surfer

Chromium Surfer 2+ Year Member

May 24, 2015
    Not necessarily, especially if you have experiences that back up this claim. Then your ethnicity could be used as context for your motivation. This thread had some good insight with multiple and sometimes contrasting advice. from adcoms about the diversity essay: Diversity - The fear of Goro in me

Bottom line is there is no right or wrong way and its all about how your relate it to your overall narrative.

18. ETC&chemiosmosis

ETC&chemiosmosis

Dec 25, 2016
    My interview is scheduled for Sept 19th

19. teamoteamo

Apr 11, 2015
    Ah, okay. I'm the 26th :)

20. BurntFlower

BurntFlower 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    I wonder why they sent it to me; I don't have the numbers for them lol

21. premedNC27

premedNC27

Aug 4, 2017
    Same. I also got an email from Mizzou. Maybe they just want our secondary money lol

22. Orthopedics101

Nov 9, 2015
    Old Trafford
    MDApps:
    I think Mizzou got in trouble last year for not having enough diversity in their medical school class, which is why they are campaigning hard this year lol.

premedNC27 and CUatthefinishline like this.
  23. premedNC27

premedNC27

Aug 4, 2017
    Hmmm that's an enticing thought. But I hear they only interview 10-12% OOS applicants, and with my MCAT I wouldn't be competitive enough. I'm right below their 10th percentile.

24. arredand

arredand 2+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Did not know about this thread! Hey everyone, Hispanic kid born in Brooklyn to Colombian parents. Hope we all have a very successful cycle!

25. Serine Minor

Serine Minor Mad scientist

Jan 13, 2017
    II Yale and Geisel!!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  26. Merodeo

Merodeo

Jan 8, 2016
    Had no clue about this thread either! Hispanic as well! Buena suerte para todos <3

27. Nathan17182

Nathan17182

Apr 23, 2016
    Hey guys! Long time lurker here.

Finally applying this cycle and thought I would add myself to thread.

3.65/510 and 67.5 LizzyM. Good luck to everyone and congrats on some amazing II!

28. teamoteamo

Apr 11, 2015
    Your avatar is the cutest. Clearly a dog person <3 :)

Merodeo likes this.
  29. Merodeo

Merodeo

Jan 8, 2016
    Yes I am! I recently got a puppy about 2 weeks ago! :love:

teamoteamo likes this.
  30. pramsotingz

pramsotingz

May 31, 2017
    To add to everyone's advice, I think discussing the unique insights, perspective, and worldview you have received from being a URM/low SES/immigrant etc. is what is important in responding to diversity secondaries. It is not just enough to discuss what identities you hold, because everyone has unique identities. It's the perspectives you've formed from experiences due to these identities that adcom's care about, in my opinion

31. Upstage

Upstage

Sep 20, 2016
    II Drew/UCLA & USC. Literally my top 2 choices, beyond excited. I have been anxious and nervous for weeks and it probably won't go away until I matriculate-- but, we got this **** y'all!

32. 4theCulture

4theCulture trust the process

May 30, 2017
    My first II :soexcited: USC

So so blessed. I'm in the great game now ;)

I've been watching everyone's success over the past weeks and absorbing as much positivity as possible. Keep up the good work y'all--thank you for the continued support and strength provided with sharing your journeys'-- keep walking in your blessings.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  33. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I haven't :/

migosonfire likes this.
  34. docchocolate

docchocolate

Jun 2, 2017
    Got my first II yesterday!!! Can't believe it!

35. docchocolate

docchocolate

Jun 2, 2017
    Yes! I think diversity in life experience and perspective and how that shaped you is the best way to approach the diversity essay. Since your demographics in your application already indicate your URM status, you can use this essay to push farther into what makes you unique as an individual and why that matters.

36. Poloman4

Poloman4

Jul 10, 2016
    congrats, where is your II at?

37. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca

Feb 27, 2016
    Got my first II at USC yesterday. One of my top choices!

38. docchocolate

docchocolate

Jun 2, 2017
    Case Western!

39. Troll-like receptor 4

Troll-like receptor 4

Jul 22, 2017
    You definitely have a chance with your LizzyM. I would add 3-5 DO schools just to be safe.:)

40. Troll-like receptor 4

Troll-like receptor 4

Jul 22, 2017
    Hi y'all,

I'm just today emerging from the cocoon that is studying for anatomy.

Congratulations to everyone with IIs so far! It looks like this thread will be lit for months to come. I'm getting nostalgic just thinking back to when I was in your shoes just a year ago and getting excited about every incoming II. Continue killin it, y'all. I see big things in your futures.:p

For those of you feeling discouraged seeing all these IIs going to other people, your time will definitely come. This cycle is nothing but a waiting game, and the cycle is still very young.

41. O.T.I.

O.T.I.

Sep 28, 2015
    MDApps:
    Hi everyone! Praying for you guys to have awesome news (or more of it) in the coming weeks! It sucks to wait and wait and wait, but, God-willing, you will make it! Have a great day guys!

42. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I thought Morehouse didn't send out secondaries until late August or something

43. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    Really debating on whether I should let my alma mater (Mizzou) take my coins this application cycle :grumpy:

Currently it's a firm hell no.

UnmarkedTrail likes this.
  44. CUatthefinishline

CUatthefinishline

Dec 14, 2015
    Why? What didn't you like about undergrad there?

45. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I loved it there. It was the best time of my life. I graduated in 2016 so the protests happened during my senior year. However I wouldn't go back to the state of Missouri as a URM because some of the townies aren't so open minded in their thinking.

Furthermore the administration didn't handle anything well regarding the protests in 2015 and financially Mizzou is facing tremendous trouble with its residence halls. Even now, they have failed to address certain issues which is disappointing.

As for the medical school...historically they've been awful with admitting minorities. My reluctance to apply their is an accumulation of a lot of things. However I would mainly say I've lost faith/trust that Mizzou. How could we champion an old slogan or "one mizzou" and claim all this diversity yet have a medical school class that is nearly all white? And when you're faced with losing accreditation you want to go into overdrive and fix this issue? Good luck with that considering all the PR we've received.

This isn't the first time they've claimed to try and fix the issue either. They said it as long as I attended there and nothing changed. Why should I believe them now? And if I do, how do I know they're actually doing it because they want to or because they don't want to lose their status.

I'm just frustrated with them.

46. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    It's hard to articulate. I've actually talked about these experiences in some of my secondaries and if granted interviews, I'm sure they'll be interesting talking points.

CUatthefinishline likes this.
  47. CUatthefinishline

CUatthefinishline

Dec 14, 2015
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'm from KS so I'm somewhat familiar with Mizzou but have never spent any time in Columbia at all (except driving through maybe to STL). I really appreciate the info. I'm still applying to give it a chance, and I keep hearing about how they're changing and how nice the campus is so we'll see :)

Kathudoo likes this.
  48. premedNC27

premedNC27

Aug 4, 2017
    Thank you! I hope so. I feel like my MCAT will hold me back a bit. I think I'll add some more DO schools if I don't here anything by Thanksgiving. Money is tight lol

Serine Minor likes this.
  49. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    It's insane how crazy my mood swings are this cycle. Some days I wake up thinking "YEAH! You're getting into every school. Harvard who? I don't know her."

other days...

I'm just like it's over for me, the maps need to be redrawn, is it too late to change my major post receiving my diploma?

50. markelle

markelle 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Thank you both for the advice!

Sir Alanna Trebond likes this.
  51. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    Y'all see that email from Howard lol?