**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had my first interview yesterday, and I felt like it went really well! And apparently, I will definitely receive either an acceptance, a rejection, or a waitlist email in about 2 weeks. :nailbiting:
I pray it turns out well!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! URM reapplicant here, Applied to 20+ schools.
Complete since early August, no IIs, 5Rs
Low MCAT <500 but increased 4 pts since last application
3.3 uGPA, SMP GPA 3.8
Stellar ECs most in underserved communities, 1500hrs+ clinical experience, 2 pending publications...
Thoughts? I'm really losing hope here

Anyone else on edge/anxious all the time because October 16th is coming up? :scared:

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any URMs who have gotten interview invitations to Northwestern, Harvard, Columbia, Duke, or Yale? If so what are your stats?

Reactions: 1 user
I got an II for Wayne State Medical School! :biglove:

Reactions: 11 users
Freaking out because I haven't gotten any II's yet. I applied a little late in the game due to money issues, my GPA and MCAT are lower than a traditional' applicant but I have an adviser that has no doubt that I'll get into medical school, and pretty good recommendation letters. I'm still nervous though :/

Freaking out because I haven't gotten any II's yet. I applied a little late in the game due to money issues, my GPA and MCAT are lower than a traditional' applicant but I have an adviser that has no doubt that I'll get into medical school, and pretty good recommendation letters. I'm still nervous though :/

I think everyone gets a bit nervous. It's a big waiting game so that's normal, just keep your eye on the prize. You have to give the schools you applied to time to thoroughly process your application.

Also, try to take some time to focus on how far you have come. A lot of people talk about eventually applying to medical school but you are actively doing it. Every step in this process is a milestone that few are blessed to reach. Personally, getting to participate in this application cycle has been a struggle for me and a long time coming, so I appreciate the fact that I even got to be in the running at 20+ schools. So just appreciate how far you have come and the places you're headed. The journey is important to and makes you who you are.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! URM reapplicant here, Applied to 20+ schools.
Complete since early August, no IIs, 5Rs
Low MCAT <500 but increased 4 pts since last application
3.3 uGPA, SMP GPA 3.8
Stellar ECs most in underserved communities, 1500hrs+ clinical experience, 2 pending publications...
Thoughts? I'm really losing hope here

Do your best to stay calm and let it play out for now. Remember, all it takes is one. I'm Blessed to be an example of that scenario myself; 16 Rejections; 1II and 1 acceptance (not a reapp though). I know how important this can all be/seem to some but in the grand scheme, the mostly self-inflicted worry/panic isn't worth it. During my cycle, to calm myself, I'd always remind myself that at the end of the day, regardless of outcome, this ain't the end of the world. Stay strong. Continue to put your time into whatever EC's you are currently involved in at the moment and let the rest be. Best of Luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Do your best to stay calm and let it play out for now. Remember, all it takes is one. I'm Blessed to be an example of that scenario myself; 16 Rejections; 1II and 1 acceptance (not a reapp though). I know how important this can all be/seem to some but in the grand scheme, the mostly self-inflicted worry/panic isn't worth it. During my cycle, to calm myself, I'd always remind myself that at the end of the day, regardless of outcome, this ain't the end of the world. Stay strong. Continue to put your time into whatever EC's you are currently involved in at the moment and let the rest be. Best of Luck!

That's awesome. Q - did you send LOI to the schools you didn't hear back from?

I wanted to reiterate what others have said and say congrats to everyone here for making it one third of the app cycle journey. As CU said, not many people make it to even applying to DO/MD programs. On this thread, you all inspire me. In my upper level premed courses, there were only five other hispanic/black students. FIVE. And only one other African-American. Seeing all you here brings me hope for the future.

I haven't done much reflection until now, but getting an II is huge. Chances are A) you have a >50% chance of getting in or B) some top tier school just expressed interest in you. People have already said this, but it only takes one II to get an acceptance and thousands of interview spots are still open. This is probably easier for me to say since I already have IIs, but this app process really is a marathon, not a sprint--and there's a lot more running left before classes start next summer

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
I think everyone gets a bit nervous. It's a big waiting game so that's normal, just keep your eye on the prize. You have to give the schools you applied to time to thoroughly process your application.

Also, try to take some time to focus on how far you have come. A lot of people talk about eventually applying to medical school but you are actively doing it. Every step in this process is a milestone that few are blessed to reach. Personally, getting to participate in this application cycle has been a struggle for me and a long time coming, so I appreciate the fact that I even got to be in the running at 20+ schools. So just appreciate how far you have come and the places you're headed. The journey is important to and makes you who you are.
Thanks dude! :)

there are three URM's posting around here with almost 20 MD interview invites. how the **** is that possible or fair ???? lol. that is completely insane to me

When SALTY ass non-URM's are essentially subtweeting you on another thread about URM advantage and you hit that like button on their post to let them know you're aware of them being messy.

Reactions: 18 users
When SALTY ass non-URM's are essentially subtweeting you on another thread about URM advantage and you hit that like button on their post to let them know you're aware of them being messy.

I read that thread this morning and knew it was gonna start going downhill fast. Do people think that URM’s are stealing their spots in medical school? There were 581 black men that matriculated last year as compared to 5693 white men. I don’t think we’re taking anyone’s spot.

Reactions: 12 users

I actually just read that in that thread. Wanted to face palm so hard.....

what is this now ? i do not care if you are aware or not lol. its the truth that it is not in any way fair to others who share the same passion. i swear some people on this forum are so sensitive

what is this now ? i do not care if you are aware or not lol. its the truth that it is not in any way fair to others who share the same passion. i swear some people on this forum are so sensitive

You’re complaining about the unfairness of the world and you’re saying we’re sensitive? LOL get off our thread and reevaluate your life.

Reactions: 2 users
That's awesome. Q - did you send LOI to the schools you didn't hear back from?

Hi! I eventually heard back definitively from all except one (a DO which I assume was a rejection; applied to 3 DO, 14 MD). I did not send any LOI per se, but I did send updates to schools (6) in Jan. of my cycle; that is, the ones that accepted updates and hadn't responded yet. My updates were short "what I've been up to, of relevance" and "your school is still in my sights"-type statements. Fortunately, I had received my one II before that time.

Yo, is everyone here just baller status money wise? How are y'all affording to go to all these interviews lol. I applied all over and my bank account is getting drained by thicc withdrawals.

Reactions: 10 users
Just to be clear (and to understand where you are coming from) do you think it is unfair because you believe the people you speak of didn't merit those opportunities in ANY way, or because they have more II than you do? I sincerely want to know.

Reactions: 1 users
Yo, is everyone here just baller status money wise? How are y'all affording to go to all these interviews lol. I applied all over and my bank account is getting drained by thicc withdrawals.

I literally don't have anymore money for the rest of the semester. I'm hoping if I get anymore interviews they're after I get my financial aid for next semester lol

No I'm definitely pinching pennies at this point. I have a credit card with $6,000 limit and another with $2,000. I've just been putting everything on credit and I just got a new job that starts on Monday so I'm definitely going to be working overtime to make the money back.

I just started a second job over a month ago. I think it's about investing in yourself first, which is something I had to really work on before this cycle. It's like putting your money where your dreams/goals/heart is. I stay broke, but I think of it as an investment. At least that's how I have to think of it to keep pushing forward :)

Reactions: 5 users
Checking in! Just realized this thread existed. SQUAD

Reactions: 15 users
FAP for initial app fees, credit card sign-up bonuses for flights (highly recommended), student hosts for housing accommodations, 2 jobs for food/rent/bills.

I'm starting to decline invites due to the lack of funds

I just started a second job over a month ago. I think it's about investing in yourself first, which is something I had to really work on before this cycle. It's like putting your money where your dreams/goals/heart is. I stay broke, but I think of it as an investment. At least that's how I have to think of it to keep pushing forward :)
I completely agree with this. I was stressing about money all summer while doing secondaries. But honestly, this is an investment in our future. It's not like we're out here just spending recklessly you know? Even though I've spent a lot of money I feel good knowing that it's gone towards my future.

i can only afford this bc my parents are paying for everything until i get into school. Once that happens, I'm on my own.

Whats with all this malarkey? We are potential future colleagues everyone. URM or not, worry about your own path to medical school, and not the "unfairness" that is the current fortune of others.

P.s. I am so happy to have been able to use the word malarkey. Such a great word.

Reactions: 6 users
Whats with all this malarkey? We are potential future colleagues everyone. URM or not, worry about your own path to medical school, and not the "unfairness" that is the current fortune of others.

P.s. I am so happy to have been able to use the word malarkey. Such a great word.
Uh oh, what's going on?

Edit: nvm, scrolled up and read.

Last edited:
whats up y'all, haven't checked in on here in a while....got two II's so far...hopefully i get as many as some of y'all in here....I'm honestly working full-time and was spending every check as they came in lol i also got lucky with some flight vouchers for like $500

Reactions: 7 users
Hey, 4th year AA medical student here. Just wanted to wish all of you best of luck.

Reactions: 13 users
I just want to put a plug for OSU for anyone who is still applying or future applicants, as I did not know this was even a thing. Along with their II they offer free two day accommodation at their hotel on campus + a $250 travel stipend.

Reactions: 12 users
I just want to put a plug for OSU for anyone who is still applying or future applicants, as I did not know this was even a thing. Along with their II they offer free two day accommodation at their hotel on campus + a $250 travel stipend.

*finishes OSU secondary*

I'm just curious - for those of you that got fee waivers for schools like Loyola, did you already have that school on your application list and then they automatically waived the fee? Did it expedite you getting an II?

Last edited:
I'm just curious - for those of you that got fee waivers for schools like Loyola, did you already have that school on your application list and then they automatically waived the fee? Did it expedite you getting an II?

I had the FAP waiver, but I got an email from UChicago and a few other schools saying to email the address they provided and my secondary fee would be waived. I think my application was being verified when I got the email but already had UChicago added, so it didn’t really matter.

Loyola and Northwestern were already on my list. I don't know that it necessarily expedited my II to Loyola, and I don't have an II to NW (yet - fingers crossed). So I don't know if the fee waiver *really* has any effect other than making it cheaper to apply.

Are you going to the interview on 10/30?