**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You bet! I'll dab so you know its me lol
Hahahaha all right. I’ll be on the look out and reciprocate the dab so you know it's me.
XD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
bro im Mexican and I use the word colored person or person of color or people of color to include all people that are not white. Its an inclusive term meaning african-american, latinx or Pakistani people you know like everybody. In case you haven't realized, the term "women of color" is a politically correct term. We should not be attacking our fellow URMs. I get enough hate outside of this forum, it would be nice if it didn't come from my fellow URMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
bro im Mexican and I use the word colored person or person of color or people of color to include all people that are not white. Its an inclusive term meaning african-american, latinx or Pakistani people you know like everybody. In case you haven't realized the term "women of color" is a politically correct term. We should not be attacking our fellow URMs I get enough hate outside of this forum it would be nice if it didn't come from my fellow URMs.

To be fair, "person of color" sounds a lot better than "colored person" to a lot of people for a few reasons historically.

I had a similar discussion with a close friend about why "She's a Jew" sounds harsher than "She's Jewish" to some people. To @Orthopedics101 or someone else it might have felt like you dropped a hard "Jew" when they read "colored person"

Just my two cents.

Reactions: 8 users
bro im Mexican and I use the word colored person or person of color or people of color to include all people that are not white. Its an inclusive term meaning african-american, latinx or Pakistani people you know like everybody. In case you haven't realized, the term "women of color" is a politically correct term. We should not be attacking our fellow URMs. I get enough hate outside of this forum, it would be nice if it didn't come from my fellow URMs.

"colored person" and "women of color" are not the same thing. I'm black, I use the n-word to some of my closest minority friends. You don't see me calling people the n-word on this forum do you? I'm not giving you hate just this is a professional forum. Keep it professional. I could think of 5 other phrases off the top of my head that are more appropriate then "colored person"

"colored person" and "women of color" are not the same thing. I'm black, I use the n-word to some of my closest minority friends. You don't see me calling people the n-word on this forum do you? I'm not giving you hate just this is a professional forum. Keep it professional. I could think of 5 other phrases off the top of my head that are more appropriate then "colored person"

To be fair, "person of color" sounds a lot better than "colored person" to a lot of people for a few reasons historically.

I had a similar discussion with a close friend about why "She's a Jew" sounds harsher than "She's Jewish" to some people. To @Orthopedics101 or someone else it might have felt like you dropped a hard "Jew" when they read "colored person"

Just my two cents.

Yeah i also think they may have thought i meant the term "colored person" as referring to african-americans because historically it was used in the 60's to label the restrooms or water fountains they could use but unlike the term "jew" colored person has taken on a greater meaning to refer to all people of color. also in todays politically correct world, a white person saying "people of color" would still feel off and might insult some people...anyways was just making a joke and do not want to get into this any further...love y'all we in this together, remember that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Understood. I was just offering another perspective. Personally, I really like "women of color" as it feels all inclusive and don't mind anyone using "people of color" as it feels more whole. Also, where I'm from "colored person" still carries a sting, but "person of color" is fine. We are in this together. That's why it's important that we all try to understand our shared and different experiences being POCs.

@CUatthefinishline
Na I'm glad you chimed in lol I have met a few people that think their definitions of things are LAW but in reality the truly smart people are fluid in their understanding of the world and are willing to listen to others and change their own point of view if they are presented with compelling arguments.

Hi everyone!

I'm a long time lurker coming in with my first post! Graduated in 2014 and spent a while deciding whether I could be in medicine and once I made my final decision, there was no turning back! Complete at most schools since 8/24.

cgpa:3.36
sgpa:3.6
MCAT:502
AA female, Haitian descent, shout out to any fellow zoes that might be in the building!

So far I've received 2 II, and I'm looking forward to what the rest of the cycle has for me. Does anyone that has interviewed have any tips for what to expect, because I haven't had to interview in a long time and I am entirely shooketh.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I'm a long time lurker coming in with my first post! Graduated in 2014 and spent a while deciding whether I could be in medicine and once I made my final decision, there was no turning back! Complete at most schools since 8/24.

cgpa:3.36
sgpa:3.6
MCAT:502
AA female, Haitian descent, shout out to any fellow zoes that might be in the building!

So far I've received 2 II, and I'm looking forward to what the rest of the cycle has for me. Does anyone that has interviewed have any tips for what to expect, because I haven't had to interview in a long time and I am entirely shooketh.

I would suggest to look on sdn School specific pages and find the most commonly asked questions. It has helped me immensely this cycle. Besides that just know your primary and secondary app and be yourself!

Reactions: 2 users
tenor.gif

Y'all. I got my first interview. I didn't think this would happen. I've literally checked all my email folders everyday & SEARCHED for schools' names & keywords

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
tenor.gif

Y'all. I got my first interview. I didn't think this would happen. I've literally checked all my email folders everyday & SEARCHED for schools names & keywords
Congrats!! Where

tenor.gif

Y'all. I got my first interview. I didn't think this would happen. I've literally checked all my email folders everyday & SEARCHED for schools names & keywords
Congratulations =]. Now you gotta make an email folder for this and all your successive interviews ;).

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, it's our AMCAS ID number.
Perfect. Now I just have to wait for my school alma mater to complete the dean evaluation.

I'm not sure about you, but I took some courses over the summer at a community college during my undergrad. I don't need to send them one as well, correct?

Perfect. Now I just have to wait for my school alma mater to complete the dean evaluation.

I'm not sure about you, but I took some courses over the summer at a community college during my undergrad. I don't need to send them one as well, correct?

I don’t think so. You could call just to make sure. I’ve heard the admissions people are pretty nice at IU.

I got an II at University of Vermont today! :highfive:

Congrats to all who received invites and I'm rooting for all of you still waiting!

Reactions: 16 users
Thank you! Case! I’m LizzyM 66-72

Congrats @Serine Minor and @DocAfri!!!! y'all got to change your statuses from premed to "Accepted" ;) It sounds like Case really doesn't like emailing out application updates, lol

Good luck everyone else this week hearing back from schools! And to those who haven't gone to interviews yet, hope the IIs come your way soon :whistle:

Reactions: 6 users
y'all I just got my first acceptance. when i say it has been a long road, it has been a longggggg road.

Reactions: 24 users
Good afternoon everyone

Latino and Non-traditional applicant here. Today I got my first reply from medical schools - an interview invitation for GW Medicine in November. Beyond excited and relieved that my hard work is beginning to pay off. Still need to hear back from the rest, but this is certainly a good start. To everyone still waiting, stay strong. With med school, anything is possible until April, so remain optimistic.

Reactions: 10 users
First acceptance today y'all to Uchicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. soo shook.

Reactions: 35 users
Just accepted to Wake Forest! I'm hyperventilating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 23 users
Hey guys, I'm pretty devastated. Didn't get an acceptance phone call today and am feeling pretty depressed. I am two years out of college and have been at the lowest point of my life trying to gain acceptance to medical school and navigate the real world, all while being broke and having very few close friends or positive support systems. Please keep me in your prayers.

Reactions: 13 users
Hey guys, I'm pretty devastated. Didn't get an acceptance phone call today and am feeling pretty depressed. I am two years out of college and have been at the lowest point of my life trying to gain acceptance to medical school and navigate the real world, all while being broke and having very few close friends or positive support systems. Please keep me in your prayers.
Keep pushing, the cycle is long and people get accepted through June/July. Keep hope alive, it’s not over. Feel free to PM me anytime if you need to talk. Hang in there

Reactions: 2 users
From what my friends who already interviewed and got accepted at IU said, the interview was very conversational. These questions seem a little too formal from how we talked about the interview. I'll ask them Monday about the questions specifically and see what they say.
What did your friends say

Y'all. I got an interview invite to a top 10 med school and 2 acceptances into medical school today. Where I was born and grew up, people don't get to do this kind of stuff. I'm going to be a doctor. Who let this happen? Who let me do this?

Reactions: 33 users
Got my first acceptance today to one of my reaches! Super stoked!

Congrats to the others who also got acceptances today. Good luck to the rest who are still waiting to hear back and everyone else with the rest of this cycle.

Reactions: 12 users