**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, I'm like really annoyed with my African parents being really judgmental about the schools I'm applying to for medical schools...it's like aggravating that they only think relevant institutions are Ivy Leagues.

^^^^sympathize with this a lot. I’ve given up trying to explain to my parents that there’s more to picking schools then just prestige.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^^^^sympathize with this a lot. I’ve given up trying to explain to my parents that there’s more to picking schools then just prestige.

I honestly have just been avoiding talking about medical school with them unless I have to fly somewhere to interview and then I just tell them where I’m going and they’re like, “oh well did you apply to Johns Hopkins or Columbia?” [emoji849][emoji29]
 
Happy to have found this forum! I've received a handful of interview invites and thus far have one waitlist post-interview. I know my God is willing and able and I will get into medical school this cycle!

Did anyone interview at Wayne State? I was there yesterday and I don't know who to submit a "Thank You" note to! There were too many interviews that happened there.
 
I honestly have just been avoiding talking about medical school with them unless I have to fly somewhere to interview and then I just tell them where I’m going and they’re like, “oh well did you apply to Johns Hopkins or Columbia?” [emoji849][emoji29]


My mom keeps telling people she thinks I’ll get in to Harvard lmao. I had research internship with the school of public health, but it’s not connected to the med school at all. She’s putting me up way too high lol
 
I'm kind of salty Indiana is my first interview bc they were my number one school in the 2015/2016 cycle
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yet another post-interview "Hold". Starting to get pretty upset at all these closed doors. I wish my stats were higher, and at this point there's nothing that I can do about my low MCAT, but I'm praying a school will see me for more than just numbers and more as a person and what my potential is. I know I will be a great doctor. 🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁
 
Yet another post-interview "Hold". Starting to get pretty upset at all these closed doors. I wish my stats were higher, and at this point there's nothing that I can do about my low MCAT, but I'm praying a school will see me for more than just numbers and more as a person and what my potential is. I know I will be a great doctor. 🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁
thats how i feel about my gpa, i have a nice MCAT but i think my waitlist had a lot to do with my gpa. but at this point i have taken so many units it wouldn't change much.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I live in Virginia and I had a job interview at UVA and while there, I was told that the number of graduate school applications from minorities has decreased substantially since all that crap happened in Charlottesville. So they're trying really hard to make sure UVA looks diverse despite what happened. That really motivated me to apply despite not having the 'right' stats so just a heads up for y'all!
 
Hey guys! I live in Virginia and I had a job interview at UVA and while there, I was told that the number of graduate school applications from minorities has decreased substantially since all that crap happened in Charlottesville. So they're trying really hard to make sure UVA looks diverse despite what happened. That really motivated me to apply despite not having the 'right' stats so just a heads up for y'all!
thanks but the deadline has passed.....sigh
 
Can you speak about the atmosphere of the area?
Just to add on... I live in the super white conservative part of VA where racism is pretty obvious. But I went to college in Richmond which is extremely liberal and diverse. So honestly it just depends where you live, but most of VA is white and conservative with the exception of college towns!
 
Hey guys, I just got an II to SLU! I'm really shocked!! I was actually considering withdrawing my application from there a few days ago because I heard they're on probation. Did anyone else interview there or get invited? I have one acceptance thus far, and the schools' interview day has been one of my favorite ones thus far!

Congrats!! I have an interview at SLU in two weeks. Their plan to correct the issues that put them on probation was just accepted by LCME and they should be off probation in within a year or two.
 
How do you guys who got 10+ II attend everything? I’m up to 7 II now and am super grateful, but am starting to loose steam. I’ve had to fly to 6/7 interviews now.

I've flown to 3 and driven to two others (about 3 hours each), plus my hometown school. Seriously questioning whether I'll attend the other 4 interviews if invited since I already have 2 acceptances to ones I really liked.
 
I've flown to 3 and driven to two others (about 3 hours each), plus my hometown school. Seriously questioning whether I'll attend the other 4 interviews if invited since I already have 2 acceptances to ones I really liked.
The last school I got invited to interview at was SLU, and I’m really on the fence about it since it’s on probation. A handful of folks I’ve seen on the forums are on the fence about it for that reason...but then part of me is like, I’ve been working towards going to medical school forever. Let me not close these doors that are open and just take every interview opportunity.
 
How do you guys who got 10+ II attend everything? I’m up to 7 II now and am super grateful, but am starting to loose steam. I’ve had to fly to 6/7 interviews now.

I've been thinking about this for a while. I think there are two parts to this:
1) Don't withdraw until you have an acceptance. If you don't want to travel someplace and you're waiting on an acceptance, postpone the interview. Once you get an acceptance, go crazy with withdrawing. "Don't count your eggs before they hatch."
But 2) Once you get an acceptance, still consider attending interviews at schools that you're less interested in that can give you scholarship money. This will help for scholarship negotiation, but not every school will necessarily match.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been thinking about this for a while. I think there are two parts to this:
1) Don't withdraw until you have an acceptance. If you don't want to travel someplace and you're waiting on an acceptance, postpone the interview. Once you get an acceptance, go crazy with withdrawing. "Don't count your eggs before they hatch."
But 2) Once you get an acceptance, still consider attending interviews at schools that you're less interested in that can give you scholarship money. This will help for scholarship negotiation, but not every school will necessarily match.
I appreciate this. Especially your second point. I definitely thought about that a lot and want to be able to negotiate my chances at a scholarship a lot more! I also just want to leave no stone unturned in this interview process.
 
Received my interview invite to Rush Medical College yesterday. Going to Chicago for the first time in December. Anyone have any tips?
Hi! Accepted to rush last week. Best advice is to prepare answering the general Qs : why medicine and why Rush. Rush has a really distinctive service orientation that stems from the location - this really allows students to have a diverse experience by training at both Stroger( aka county) and rush medical. My interviews were very relaxed and my cohort was really fun. The group activity is not about choosing a right answer but working well in a team.
So take it easy and you should be great! Also, be kind, always.