**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II at Mayo!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Greetings to all - Just a reminder there's a facebook group for us minorities that a bunch of folks from here/previous cyles have joined - a lot of good info. PM me with your fbk name if you're interested. Cool vibe, cool people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No; I go to school in the Rochester campus! Would have loved to meet up!
Ahh darn, that would have been cool! I talk to a few students who go to your campus. They are very nice and helpful! If I get accepted, I definitely want to do a few selectives at the Rochester campus so maybe we will meet in the future!

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an II at Northwestern!! I’m shook...applied there as a reach and didn’t think I’d hear anything back since I applied in October and it was already December. Wooooow

Reactions: 14 users
Ahh darn, that would have been cool! I talk to a few students who go to your campus. They are very nice and helpful! If I get accepted, I definitely want to do a few selectives at the Rochester campus so maybe we will meet in the future!
For sure!

I just got an II at New York Medical College!!! :X3:

Reactions: 18 users
I interviewed here in October! I think you’re going to love it!

Has anyone reached out directly to Deans of Diversity at medical schools? I’m trying to finesse a couple interviews (I know, I know) and I think that may be my best hope.

Any experiences with that? Anyone think their relationship with a Dean of Diversity or a Diversity office has helped them?
Have you tried this?

Have you tried this?

I tried to do this for Loyola - Chicago and brought up my application at the same time. The person answered all of my questions pretty fast (told me my questions were pretty good) and added that my application was still under review. Still haven't heard anything back lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried this?

I tried this a Umich, Columbia (which I have ties to) Penn and NYU. I had a 2-hour long conversation with the dean of diversity at Penn (lol) but will most likely be rejected in the upcoming weeks. Umich and NYU have rejected me and Columbia doesn't reject until February, so YMMV.

I think it depends on the school. Some diversity offices have close ties to admissions, while others don't and are removed from all decision making.

Y’all, I got into Michigan!!!! Best Christmas present ever :soexcited:

Reactions: 25 users
Y’all, I got into Michigan!!!! Best Christmas present ever :soexcited:
11 Acceptances is super impressive....bro you must be a superstar at answering questions during interviews, congrats!

11 Acceptances is super impressive....bro you must be a superstar at answering questions during interviews, congrats!
It's also impressive that you have had the stamina to attend 11+ interviews.
I love talking about myself and I'm still pretty over the interview process after 4...

Reactions: 7 users
Me: MOM I JUST GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!

Mom: That's nice honey, where?

Me: Case Western! I also got offered an invitation for merit scholarship!

Mom: that's nice.

Comes back 5 minutes later

Mom: I hope you didn't accept the offer. It's only ranked 25 you know. (Insert name of Nigerian family friend)'s child goes to (insert name of top 10 school). You better not choose to go there.

Me: .....wow thanks mom.

Everyone always talks about how academically demanding Asian parents are but honestly, I think African parents take the cake.
LMAO.. I knew you were Nigerian as soon as I read "only ranked 25"

Reactions: 9 users
Hi guys! I literally just stumbled upon this thread and skimmed a bit. It seems so encouraging!
I’m a first-gen college student, African American, super high GPA, super low MCAT☹️
Had one interview so far, got waitlisted, really sad about it. I’m scheduled for 2 more interviews. Do you guys think the reason people get waitlisted is because of their interview?
FYI, I felt pretty good about my interview, so I was confused when I got waitlisted. Do you guys have any tips for interviews?? Specifically for Michigan State CHM and Indiana University??
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Some crazy life changing news potentially. Got offered a Full Tuition Scholarship at Oakland U!! Big change from my home but idk if I can pass this up even if I got into my top choice. Unreal man!

Reactions: 19 users
Some crazy life changing news potentially. Got offered a Full Tuition Scholarship at Oakland U!! Big change from my home but idk if I can pass this up even if I got into my top choice. Unreal man!
congrats!!! How do you feel about the lack of diversity there? I loved the school but that was an issue for me.

congrats!!! How do you feel about the lack of diversity there? I loved the school but that was an issue for me.
I felt it for sure. My interviews were strange in that it came up both times actually that they have not matriculated a whole lot of URM. It was a turn off but to me the scholarship is huge. The school has good qualities, I like the education and the hospital affiliation is awesome. I hope they're tryna fix the issue but I can live with it for 4 years. Do you think you'll end up here?

I felt it for sure. My interviews were strange in that it came up both times actually that they have not matriculated a whole lot of URM. It was a turn off but to me the scholarship is huge. The school has good qualities, I like the education and the hospital affiliation is awesome. I hope they're tryna fix the issue but I can live with it for 4 years. Do you think you'll end up here?

I got a full scholarship too.. Other than the lack of diversity- i loved the school.. So if this is the only school that offers me this type of aid, I will definitely go.

Otherwise.. no

I think it's sad because this is probably why the matriculation of URM students is low.. Those that are interested in the school are turned off either before or after applying because of the lack of diversity.. it's a cycle that I don't see ending until deliberate change is made. But we'll see!

I got a full scholarship too.. Other than the lack of diversity- i loved the school.. So if this is the only school that offers me this type of aid, I will definitely go.

Otherwise.. no

I think it's sad because this is probably why the matriculation of URM students is low.. Those that are interested in the school are turned off either before or after applying because of the lack of diversity.. it's a cycle that I don't see ending until deliberate change is made. But we'll see!
I'm on the same page definitely. If another school gave me the aid like this is be going elsewhere quickly. Sadly though all the schools I've seen for the most part except one have had this issue. It's much deeper than just Oakland I think. Medicine has always had diversity issues and the interview trail has opened my eyes to that in a big big way.

Reactions: 1 users

Otherwise.. no

I'm on the same page definitely. If another school gave me the aid like this is be going elsewhere quickly. Sadly though all the schools I've seen for the most part except one have had this issue. It's much deeper than just Oakland I think. Medicine has always had diversity issues and the interview trail has opened my eyes to that in a big big way.
Having been in a similar situation last year, I would say go for it to both you. For them to give you the scholarship you are the excellent URM they want to have increase their enrollment. From my experience so far, being URM in a low URM environment lends itself to numerous opportunities to stand out and shine. Don't waste an opportunity because everyone doesn't look like you (no offense, just being real). You never know what opportunities lie in store.

Reactions: 9 users
So for people who are choosing between full tuition + some extra at a sub 70 rank school vs. no merit aid (yet) at a top 20 school...any tips? I’m struggle bussing for sure. I know I could try to leverage scholarships, but Im trying not to count on that yet. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Silly question: where are you guys finding the rakings of medical schools? Like how do you know which ones are top 10 and so on?

Silly question: where are you guys finding the rakings of medical schools? Like how do you know which ones are top 10 and so on?

Just google US News medical school rankings. And look at the research rankings, not the primary care one.

Hi guys! I literally just stumbled upon this thread and skimmed a bit. It seems so encouraging!
I’m a first-gen college student, African American, super high GPA, super low MCAT☹️
Had one interview so far, got waitlisted, really sad about it. I’m scheduled for 2 more interviews. Do you guys think the reason people get waitlisted is because of their interview?
FYI, I felt pretty good about my interview, so I was confused when I got waitlisted. Do you guys have any tips for interviews?? Specifically for Michigan State CHM and Indiana University??
Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Hey good job on securing all those interviews! When invited to an interview, you are usually put in a certain category of waitlist or accept based on your app. This is obviously pending your interview that may move you up or down based on how good or bad you did. So if you have a bad interview, you can go from accepted to rejected. But if you have a really great interview, you can go from waitlist to accepted. However, interviews usually serve to verify that you're semi sociable and puts a face to a name and not to determine accepted/rejected

Reactions: 2 users
Btw congratulations to the class of 2022 cohort... y'all putting in work. So proud of y'all!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey good job on securing all those interviews! When invited to an interview, you are usually put in a certain category of waitlist or accept based on your app. This is obviously pending your interview that may move you up or down based on how good or bad you did. So if you have a bad interview, you can go from accepted to rejected. But if you have a really great interview, you can go from waitlist to accepted. However, interviews usually serve to verify that you're semi sociable and puts a face to a name and not to determine accepted/rejected

Thank you!! And thank you for responding! I think I get what you’re saying. So, hopefully, since I’m waitlisted, it’s only a matter of time before I’m accepted. I’m going to stay hopeful!

Thank you!! And thank you for responding! I think I get what you’re saying. So, hopefully, since I’m waitlisted, it’s only a matter of time before I’m accepted. I’m going to stay hopeful!
3 interviews usually equals acceptance! You will do great!

Reactions: 1 users
Is this really how things work? If so, this is pretty informative.

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a great holiday break for those of you who do have time off. I’ve been watching this thread for a while. It’s so encouraging/amazing to see this process!

I was recently offered an interview and was wondering if you all could provide some advice.

I’ve been accepted to one of my top choices but another school (both are top 10, literally God at work! they were both REACHHHH schools for me) recently invited me to interview. I was hesitant about the school that recently invited me to interview primarily because of location. it’s very important for me to be close to my family. But I feel like it’s insane to turn down interviews at a top school? What do you all think? I figure if I were to turn it down that may leave room for someone really invested in the school and it’s location. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a great holiday break for those of you who do have time off. I’ve been watching this thread for a while. It’s so encouraging/amazing to see this process!

I was recently offered an interview and was wondering if you all could provide some advice.

I’ve been accepted to one of my top choices but another school (both are top 10, literally God at work! they were both REACHHHH schools for me) recently invited me to interview. I was hesitant about the school that recently invited me to interview primarily because of location. it’s very important for me to be close to my family. But I feel like it’s insane to turn down interviews at a top school? What do you all think? I figure if I were to turn it down that may leave room for someone really invested in the school and it’s location. Thanks in advance!

You have to ask yourself if you got accepted to school B, would you go over school A? You said school A was one of your top choices, is it number 1? This doesn't happen too often, but you could also use financial aid offered from B to get more money from A. If it is not a financial strain to attend the interview at school B, I would go and see what happens. You may end up falling in love with the area!

You have to ask yourself if you got accepted to school B, would you go over school A? You said school A was one of your top choices, is it number 1? This doesn't happen too often, but you could also use financial aid offered from B to get more money from A. If it is not a financial strain to attend the interview at school B, I would go and see what happens. You may end up falling in love with the area!

Thank you!!

Greetings to all - Just a reminder there's a facebook group for us minorities that a bunch of folks from here/previous cyles have joined - a lot of good info. PM me with your fbk name if you're interested. Cool vibe, cool people.
I'd like to join! can you PM me?

Is this really how things work? If so, this is pretty informative.
Well it's a oversimplified explanation. Schools also don't send out acceptances to everyone. A) they have a finite amount of spots b) they send out acceptances to people that are more likely to attend and like to yield protect to not look hella thirsty. Keep in mind that those are general concepts and schools may do things a little different. At the end of the day, if you are invited for an interview that is a good sign. You aren't competing with the people interviewing that day or for a particular seat. So just enjoy yourself and don't stress too much.

Reactions: 3 users
So, if you've yet to receive an interview, should you be throwing in the towel?

No. It’s not over. However I would prepare for that possibility still. You can be studying more rigorously for the MCAT while you wait

I wouldn't say throw in the towel, keep the hope alive, but definitely come up with a plan b just incase

I'm thinking of applying to Georgetown GEMS- is anyone else planning to do the same? Does anyone have any "inside" information on the program?

Please don't throw in the towel! I would send schools an update e-mail, and form a plan B. If you don't get in this cycle, is it worth your while to pursue a postbacc program or restudy for the MCAT?

Last edited:
Please don't throw in the towel! I would send schools an update e-mail, about form a plan B. If you don't get in this cycle, is it worth your while to pursue a postbacc program or restudy for the MCAT?

Yeah, I guess I could write some update emails next week.

I think I could benefit from a medical postbacc/SMP.

Yeah, I guess I could write some update emails next week.

I think I could benefit from a medical postbacc/SMP.
Good. So brainstorm some programs and start applying. Draft up an update and start to send them to the schools you are still in the running for.