**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I actually discussed this with @azolesoul before. To summarize, it is said that you need an 80% average in the program to matriculate into Georgetown. It's very difficult and you can get kicked out if you're not pulling your weight. The attrition rate is relatively high. It's for reapplicants only. It's a PBL based curriculum. You can get randomly called to present on a topic you've covered during the block. For people that want to know more, you should search the forums for "GEMS" and look for any users that mentioned that they were GEMS students. There were several enlightening posts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually discussed this with @azolesoul before. To summarize, it is said that you need an 80% average in the program to matriculate into Georgetown. It's very difficult and you can get kicked out if you're not pulling your weight. The attrition rate is relatively high. It's for reapplicants only. It's a PBL based curriculum. You can get randomly called to present on a topic you've covered during the block. For people that want to know more, you should search the forums for "GEMS" and look for any users that mentioned that they were GEMS students. There were several enlightening posts.

Oh yeah, you did discuss this with me before. Sorry for the redundancy; I've been busy and I forgot I'd previously inquired.

Oh yeah, you did discuss this with me before. Sorry for the redundancy; I've been busy and I forgot I'd previously inquired.

No problem. It might help others with the same question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to pose a question to you guys:

I don't know if I'll get into a medical school this cycle but I've all but been accepted to a PhD program with tuition waiver and a decent stipend. Would you guys pursue the PhD if you couldn't get into medical school (I obviously know how intense a PhD program is and I'm still interested)? I cannot help but think I'd be pursuing the PhD because I'm apprehensive concerning the future and just wanna have something pinned down.

What do you guys think?

I'd like to pose a question to you guys:

I don't know if I'll get into a medical school this cycle but I've all but been accepted to a PhD program with tuition waiver and a decent stipend. Would you guys pursue the PhD if you couldn't get into medical school (I obviously know how intense a PhD program is and I'm still interested)? I cannot help but think I'd be pursuing the PhD because I'm apprehensive concerning the future and just wanna have something pinned down.

What do you guys think?
Only you can truly answer this. I know that I can only picture myself being a doctor, so I would have applied a couple of cycles before trying something else if I did not get in. If you would enjoy a PhD and doing something in that field, do it. If not, take this application cycle off and make your app better by doing a postbac/smp, studying for the MCAT, getting more clinical/underservered volunteer hours, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Only you can truly answer this. I know that I can only picture myself being a doctor, so I would have applied a couple of cycles before trying something else if I did not get in. If you would enjoy a PhD and doing something in that field, do it. If not, take this application cycle off and make your app better by doing a postbac/smp, studying for the MCAT, getting more clinical/underservered volunteer hours, etc.

I have the same passion yet I still live at home with my single parent and they're really pushing for me to move on. Yes, I'd like to do a postbacc/smp to improve but this would cost money and I don't know how I would logistically do this. In addition, my parent would be all over me if I didn't take the sure thing but I know I'd possibly be unfulfilled.

I have the same passion yet I still live at home with my single parent and they're really pushing for me to move on. Yes, I'd like to do a postbacc/smp to improve but this would cost money and I don't know how I would logistically do this. In addition, my parent would be all over me if I didn't take the sure thing but I know I'd possibly be unfulfilled.
I think you more or less have to weigh between two drastically different paths 1) Do GEMS, SMP, or other postbac program or take on a research job. Given your situation you may need to take out loans, but if everything pans out, you could pay them off over time. As others have said, GEMS or an SMP would be pretty stressful. You’d have to kill it in both. 2) Do the PhD. I’d only do this if you think you can be fulfilled with the PhD route or whether you think the risk of the MD working out isn’t worth it. I wouldn’t do the PhD because of family pressure, but that’s just me. I’ve seen threads of the PhD to MD route and other careeer changing threads, and you could in theory go apply MD later. But a big problem I see is that you would have to answer “Why did you apply to PhD programs X years ago?” during med school interviews. If you answered “As a backup,” I think the schools will be skeptical of your commitment to med school—I don’t necessarily agree with that but see it as a likely possibility and big possible red flag.

This is a tough choice, and there’s no “right” answer we can give you. Definitely, though, go with your gut and run with it.

Last edited:
I think you more or less have to weigh between two drastically different paths 1) Do GEMS, SMP, or other postbac program or take on a research job. Given your situation you may need to take out loans, but if everything pans out, you could pay them off over time. As others have said, GEMS or an SMP would be pretty stressful. You’d have to kill it in both. 2) Do the PhD. I’d only do this if you think you can be fulfilled with the PhD route or whether you think the risk of the MD working out isn’t worth it. I wouldn’t do the PhD because of family pressure, but that’s just me. I’ve seen threads of the PhD to MD route and other careeer changing threads, and you could in theory go apply MD later. But a big problem I see is that you would have to answer “Why did you apply to PhD programs X years ago?” during med school interviews. If you answered “As a backup,” I think the schools will be skeptical of your commitment to med school—I don’t necessarily agree with that but see it as a likely possibility and big possible red flag.

This is a tough choice, and there’s no “right” answer we can give you. Definitely, though, go with your gut and run with it.

If I went with my gut, I'd just improve my app with an SMP.

Thanks for helping me decide!

Quick question: My GPA (AMCAS) is 3.23c and 3.02s. If I were to forego the SMP, retake the MCAT and reapply, what MCAT would I need to set my sights on?

Last edited:

Quick question: My GPA (AMCAS) is 3.23c and 3.02s. If I were to forego the SMP, retake the MCAT and reapply, what MCAT would I need to set my sights on?
Shoot for the skies when it comes to a target score! But I think you should try to get at least a 500 for sure. I would probably apply mixed MD and DO as well. Even with great SMP grades and/or a great mcat (510+) I’d definitely apply DO too.

Did you apply DO?

Hi everyone! Scrolling through it seems as if everyone is doing really well this cycle, congrats all I'm a little late to the game I guess, didn't know this thread existed. All your positivity is helping me to keep pushing forward with this cycle :)

Reactions: 5 users
I’m kind of pressed over the fact I haven’t received good news from a single osteopathic school yet.
full

Hell I haven’t heard anything really (one deferred and some rejections. Most silent)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m kind of pressed over the fact I haven’t received good news from a single osteopathic school yet.
full

Hell I haven’t heard anything really (one deferred and some rejections. Most silent)

I don't think that an osteopathic school is necessarily easier to get into than an allopathic school. Each interview that I attended for M.D. and D.O. left me with the impression that every school is looking for something different in a candidate. And I was impressed in different ways by every program/school that I have seen so far.

The D.O. schools that I attended were the only interviews that questioned my academic capability. But I honestly wonder if they were trying to see how I would respond to a stress interview (as it was like the interviewer at each D.O. school would take an opposing view than what I had and drill their question(s) in. I have only interviewed at two D.O. schools so far and I have been accepted to both.

I interviewed at four M.D. schools so far and have been accepted to one. I probably will not hear back from the other M.D. schools that I interviewed at for another month or three (as most promised a response in March). I have a lot more interviews to go. The M.D. school interviews had a much friendlier vibe to them for me. I really got along well with my interviewers and they made me feel as though they would love to have me as a student. So I just noticed a difference between the two as far as interviews are considered.

Regardless, good luck! The application cycle/interview season is not over yet!

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think that an osteopathic school is necessarily easier to get into than an allopathic school. Each interview that I attended for M.D. and D.O. left me with the impression that every school is looking for something different in a candidate. And I was impressed in different ways by every program/school that I have seen so far.

The D.O. schools that I attended were the only interviews that questioned my academic capability. But I honestly wonder if they were trying to see how I would respond to a stress interview (as it was like the interviewer at each D.O. school would take an opposing view than what I had and drill their question(s) in. I have only interviewed at two D.O. schools so far and I have been accepted to both.

I interviewed at four M.D. schools so far and have been accepted to one. I probably will not hear back from the other M.D. schools that I interviewed at for another month or three (as most promised a response in March). I have a lot more interviews to go. The M.D. school interviews had a much friendlier vibe to them for me. I really got along well with my interviewers and they made me feel as though they would love to have me as a student. So I just noticed a difference between the two as far as interviews are considered.

Regardless, good luck! The application cycle/interview season is not over yet!
oh no, it wasn’t about ease. I’m just mad because they’re so slow and comparing their cycle length to allopathic schools/when I applied to both (allopathic/osteopathic), I would have hoped I heard from more of them by now.

I could use some opinions and advice on my situation:

I have 3 interviews scheduled in January that I don't want to attend due to financial reasons and general interview burnout. I have already interviewed at 5 schools and will hear back this month and in February, but I don't have any acceptances yet. Is it a bad idea to cancel my upcoming interviews without an acceptance in hand? I would go to any of the 5 schools I interviewed at over the 3 that are upcoming.

I have 3 interviews scheduled in January that I don't want to attend due to financial reasons and general interview burnout. I have already interviewed at 5 schools and will hear back this month and in February, but I don't have any acceptances yet. Is it a bad idea to cancel my upcoming interviews without an acceptance in hand? I would go to any of the 5 schools I interviewed at over the 3 that are upcoming.
Personally I would go to all my interviews until I received at least one acceptance. If you can push your interview days back for these schools, that may be your best option, but the later you interview the lower your chances as well (for the schools that have rolling admissions anyways) so also something to be considered.

Reactions: 3 users

Go, future you will thank you. Eliminate only schools that you absolutely, unequivocally would not go to under any circumstance. Don't worry about finances right now, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the amount this process will cost in total. Just my opinion...

Personally I would go to all my interviews until I received at least one acceptance. If you can push your interview days back for these schools, that may be your best option, but the later you interview the lower your chances as well (for the schools that have rolling admissions anyways) so also something to be considered.
I second this

I definitely recommend attending every interview until you receive an acceptance. Every school has its own admissions process and is looking for something specific in each candidate. You may be the ideal candidate at one school, but not another.

Aside from that, you never know how much you will like a school until you have the opportunity to actually see the program/School. I attended an interview that I didn’t think I would like and I ended up really liking the school. I also attended an interview at a school I thought was clearly my top choice and I was not as impressed by the school as I was by some others.

Good luck!

Dang it y'all, I really don't wanna go. I've pushed one back til February but I'll still go to the other two I have in January. You've convinced me. Although if I get accepted before these interviews I'm dropping them in a heartbeat

Reactions: 2 users
My interview is in a week and I feel like I can't breathe.

My interview is in a week and I feel like I can't breathe.
Hey! Don't get in your head. You have this interview because you've already proven yourself as future physician material. Now just go in and solidify that by sharing your personality and just what kind of great doctor you're going to be. Practice the basic Qs but be yourself and you will be fine!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! Don't get in your head. You have this interview because you've already proven yourself as future physician material. Now just go in and solidify that by sharing your personality and just what kind of great doctor you're going to be. Practice the basic Qs but be yourself and you will be fine!
You right. I need to get out of my head. The cost of living is way too high lol. I’m out

I'm just so confused as to what I'm doing:

I've applied for this cycle but have yet to get a bite- 3.3C, 3.0S, 500 MCAT with fairly goods ECS. Here's my plan if I'm not accepted:
Work on improving MCAT and improve ECs over this next year and reapply in 2019. I've thought about SMPs but don't know if these would be worthwhile? I really want to be a neurologist but I don't know if it'll ever happen and it's killing me.

I've applied for this cycle but have yet to get a bite- 3.3C, 3.0S, 500 MCAT with fairly goods ECS. Here's my plan if I'm not accepted:
Work on improving MCAT and improve ECs over this next year and reapply in 2019. I've thought about SMPs but don't know if these would be worthwhile? I really want to be a neurologist but I don't know if it'll ever happen and it's killing me.
It could be your personal statement. It could also be your letters of rec. Speaking for myself, I don’t think I would have the one interview I do if it weren’t for my personal statement and letter writers (especially my personal statement). It could also be your selection of schools as well.

If I were you, I woud talk to every single school at the end of this cycle and figure out what went wrong and exactly what you need to do to be prepared for the next time. The last thing you want to do is waste another cycle attempt.

It could be your personal statement. It could also be your letters of rec. Speaking for myself, I don’t think I would have the one interview I do if it weren’t for my personal statement and letter writers (especially my personal statement). It could also be your selection of schools as well.

If I were you, I woud talk to every single school at the end of this cycle and figure out what went wrong and exactly what you need to do to be prepared for the next time. The last thing you want to do is waste another cycle attempt.

So schools will discuss your app when the cycle is over? The few places which rejected me said they couldn’t tell me anything.

So schools will discuss your app when the cycle is over? The few places which rejected me said they couldn’t tell me anything.
For the most part they will all say that right now as they are all bogged down with this cycle's applications. Come May they won't have anything to do (or at least a bit less) and will be a bit more receptive to giving feedback.

I would focus solely on DO when you apply in 2019 unless you get a great MCAT. Get someone with experience to read over your PS and work/activities. I think your plan for improvement in 2018 sounds solid.

How many buttons do I use on my suit?

My mind is blown
This was especially true for women but I did see more men with their suits buttoned. In my honest opinion/based on what I've seen, I don't think one button vs. two matter

So I realize now that my application sucks and I just need a guide on what to do in order to successfully reapply:

3.2C; 3.0S; 500 MCAT (will be retaking)
What kind of MCAT score would I need to even have a shot at M.D.?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
So I realize now that my application sucks and I just need a guide on what to do in order to successfully reapply:

Thanks guys!
A lot of it is test scores and grades, but some of it isn’t. You can perform better on the test but if there are other things lacking, then you could end up using another attempt.

My stats are similar to yours. Extremely and I have one interview with Indiana. There’s not a simple answer to your question

Thanks guys!
is your 3.2 consistent throughout your career or did you finish strong with high gpas at the end? also how many units have you taken? I also have a 3.2-3.3 and I did okay this cycle but I covered my gpa with my MCAT i would aim for 513+ if you want MD or idk i think i remember goro saying 510+ for state schools and 505 for DO. Also if your finances are fine you could take some classes to increase your gpa but to more importantly show adcoms you can have consecutive great semesters
edit: also make sure you at least check the boxes in terms of ECs but honestly in your situation you should try to be above average in that category

EDIT: changed the recommended MCAT scores

Last edited:
is your 3.2 consistent throughout your career or did you finish strong with high gpas at the end? also how many units have you taken? I also have a 3.2-3.3 and I did okay this cycle but I covered my gpa with my MCAT i would aim for 513+ if you want MD or idk i think i remember goro saying 508 or 510+ for DO. Also if your finances are fine you could take some classes to increase your gpa but to more importantly show adcoms you can have consecutive great semesters

My GPA started high, tapered off and stayed consistent towards the end. I have graduated from undergrad but I'm taking 4 credits right now. I guess all I can do is retake the MCAT and hope for the best.

Thanks!

My GPA started high, tapered off and stayed consistent towards the end. I have graduated from undergrad but I'm taking 4 credits right now. I guess all I can do is retake the MCAT and hope for the best.

Thanks!
yeah i mean look into TBR they are the best (my opinion) and really prepared me well...please DO NOT use princeton review

edit: completely up to you but i think a post-bacc could help you a lot.....worked for me

yeah i mean look into TBR they are the best (my opinion) and really prepared me well...please DO NOT use princeton review

edit: completely up to you but i think a post-bacc could help you a lot.....worked for me

I don't think the company you use matters so much as HOW you prep. I prepped with TPR and liked it. Just use the books that speak to your learning style/make you want to claw your eyes out the least.

I'm a little stressed out about paying for medical school. I submitted all the financial aid documents for the MD school I've been accepted to, but am honestly just nervous with waiting to hear what kind of money will roll in from them...when do most schools release their financial aid packages? I'm thinking about turning down an II I got a few days ago because I'm in a bind financially.

Anyone applying for scholarships before medical school?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a little stressed out about paying for medical school. I submitted all the financial aid documents for the MD school I've been accepted to, but am honestly just nervous with waiting to hear what kind of money will roll in from them...when do most schools release their financial aid packages? I'm thinking about turning down an II I got a few days ago because I'm in a bind financially.

Anyone applying for scholarships before medical school?
If you find anything please pass along some info my way as well. I'm probably not going to be able to afford to go to medical school if things continue as they are. The whole process is making me feel a bit hopeless :(

If you find anything please pass along some info my way as well. I'm probably not going to be able to afford to go to medical school if things continue as they are. The whole process is making me feel a bit hopeless :(
Will do!

Thanks guys!
*Slight* tough love if that's okay:
Your grades are what they are. You have a solid B in the sciences which means you can learn them to a satisfactory degree. Honestly, I'd focus on the MCAT and ECs and framing/nailing your narrative. This is about to be a long post so bear with me:
MCAT
You know that you're shooting for a 510 or above on the MCAT. It's doable you just have to consistently and faithfully study for 3-6 months. A 500 (aka you scored at the same as 50% of the individuals who took the test) makes me think your fundamental foundation for the subjects has holes in it. This theory is further corroborated by that 3.0 science GPA. You need go slowly and deeply and make sure you understand chem and bio and then move on to biochem and phys and finally psych/soc. I recommend a course like TPR only because they give you 6+ practice exams, it makes you keep a study schedule and you have a tutor there to answer questions about material you're not getting. I also recommend Youtube channels like Amoeba sisters and Crash Course. They may seem a little campy or *gasp* elementary but sometimes you need something super simple to hammer in the basics. I felt a little silly at first using the channels like this and then basically said "**** my self-consciousness, I need to learn this and deeply understand it anyway I can." Once your base is solid it gets much easier to study and retain all the material necessary. You also need to block of a day every week where you can train your brain and body to sit and perform for 8 hours. After you feel like you've filled the gaps in knowledge do as many practice tests as consistently as you can. If you sign up for a test on a Saturday then every saturday for at least a month you should be waking up and taking the test in the real conditions i.e. starting at 8am ending at 3PM. The test is literally half stamina. I was half asleep during the first section because I couldn't sleep the night before and it was my worst section because I didn't "click in" and get going until 15 minutes after the section started. You can crush the MCAT but you have to dig deep and get to work
ECs

You said you had "decent" ECs and I'm not really sure what that means. If it means you're a part time scribe or you shadowed 1 doc for a month and nothing else that means that while they are decent they are also average. You cannot afford to be average. Your stats aren't superstar stats (neither were mine just FYI) so that means other stuff in your app must be superstar. You need to find something out of the box that allows you patient contact and you need to show longevity. I'm talking at least a year in the same position seeing the same patients and same colleagues. You also need to do some volunteering that may or may not be related to medicine. I've learned that med schools love, and I mean LOVE when you can talk about an altruistic experience that you did because you're an altruistic person and NOT because you are applying to med school. You also need to find a way to get some FaceTime with at leasts 3 docs in different specialities to show you've explored different sides of medicine. (If one of said docs can write you a LOR even better!). I totally understand that we all have bills to pay and need paying jobs, but you have to somehow find 3-6 hours a week in your life to do something out of the box to make your app pop out.
Personal statement/narrative
Your essays must be compelling. Again, because you're not a 4.0/520 app you can't say "I love medicine because I want to help others especially the underserved." You need to convey that sentiment while also drawing in the adcom with your story whatever that may be. If you still have access to your school's pre-med counseling services ask if there is a writing center that can help you with your essays. Your essays need to grab their attention and make them fight to bring you in. Be realistic with yourself, if you don't write well find someone who does and ask them to assist you as you craft each of the secondary essays and your PS.

If you want to do GPA repair that's fine but be cautious because unless you do remarkably better it won't make that much difference in an adcom member's eyes. Get that MCAT up, find some out of the box/epic volunteer position and stay in it for at least 9 months, (but really try to get 1 year) make sure you've shadowed 3 docs in different specialties, craft a compelling PS/secondary essays.

bada boom, bada bing, get some interviews (or just 1!), get into med school, pop that champagne, become a doc.

Sorry for the long post y'all! Good Luck @azolesoul !

Reactions: 10 users
*Slight* tough love if that's okay:
Your grades are what they are. You have a solid B in the sciences which means you can learn them to a satisfactory degree. Honestly, I'd focus on the MCAT and ECs and framing/nailing your narrative. This is about to be a long post so bear with me:
MCAT
You know that you're shooting for a 510 or above on the MCAT. It's doable you just have to consistently and faithfully study for 3-6 months. A 500 (aka you scored at the same as 50% of the individuals who took the test) makes me think your fundamental foundation for the subjects has holes in it. This theory is further corroborated by that 3.0 science GPA. You need go slowly and deeply and make sure you understand chem and bio and then move on to biochem and phys and finally psych/soc. I recommend a course like TPR only because they give you 6+ practice exams, it makes you keep a study schedule and you have a tutor there to answer questions about material you're not getting. I also recommend Youtube channels like Amoeba sisters and Crash Course. They may seem a little campy or *gasp* elementary but sometimes you need something super simple to hammer in the basics. I felt a little silly at first using the channels like this and then basically said "**** my self-consciousness, I need to learn this and deeply understand it anyway I can." Once your base is solid it gets much easier to study and retain all the material necessary. You also need to block of a day every week where you can train your brain and body to sit and perform for 8 hours. After you feel like you've filled the gaps in knowledge do as many practice tests as consistently as you can. If you sign up for a test on a Saturday then every saturday for at least a month you should be waking up and taking the test in the real conditions i.e. starting at 8am ending at 3PM. The test is literally half stamina. I was half asleep during the first section because I couldn't sleep the night before and it was my worst section because I didn't "click in" and get going until 15 minutes after the section started. You can crush the MCAT but you have to dig deep and get to work
ECs

You said you had "decent" ECs and I'm not really sure what that means. If it means you're a part time scribe or you shadowed 1 doc for a month and nothing else that means that while they are decent they are also average. You cannot afford to be average. Your stats aren't superstar stats (neither were mine just FYI) so that means other stuff in your app must be superstar. You need to find something out of the box that allows you patient contact and you need to show longevity. I'm talking at least a year in the same position seeing the same patients and same colleagues. You also need to do some volunteering that may or may not be related to medicine. I've learned that med schools love, and I mean LOVE when you can talk about an altruistic experience that you did because you're an altruistic person and NOT because you are applying to med school. You also need to find a way to get some FaceTime with at leasts 3 docs in different specialities to show you've explored different sides of medicine. (If one of said docs can write you a LOR even better!). I totally understand that we all have bills to pay and need paying jobs, but you have to somehow find 3-6 hours a week in your life to do something out of the box to make your app pop out.
Personal statement/narrative
Your essays must be compelling. Again, because you're not a 4.0/520 app you can't say "I love medicine because I want to help others especially the underserved." You need to convey that sentiment while also drawing in the adcom with your story whatever that may be. If you still have access to your school's pre-med counseling services ask if there is a writing center that can help you with your essays. Your essays need to grab their attention and make them fight to bring you in. Be realistic with yourself, if you don't write well find someone who does and ask them to assist you as you craft each of the secondary essays and your PS.

If you want to do GPA repair that's fine but be cautious because unless you do remarkably better it won't make that much difference in an adcom member's eyes. Get that MCAT up, find some out of the box/epic volunteer position and stay in it for at least 9 months, (but really try to get 1 year) make sure you've shadowed 3 docs in different specialties, craft a compelling PS/secondary essays.

bada boom, bada bing, get some interviews (or just 1!), get into med school, pop that champagne, become a doc.

Sorry for the long post y'all! Good Luck @azolesoul !

Wow, thanks for the advice!

I've shadowed two different docs across two specialties and I'm set to shadow a third.

Your very helpful and I appreciate it!