**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody still not gotten an II yet?
How many schools did you apply to?
I know they talk about the Thanksgiving rule on this site a lot and while I agree I still think you should have a high degree of hope! I've heard a lot of stories of people "randomly getting lots of IIs in January" aka after the holidays people realize they don't want to spend any more money/already got into schools they really like so there's no need to interview. And their wonderful sloppy seconds are up for grabs!
 
How many schools did you apply to?
I know they talk about the Thanksgiving rule on this site a lot and while I agree I still think you should have a high degree of hope! I've heard a lot of stories of people "randomly getting lots of IIs in January" aka after the holidays people realize they don't want to spend any more money/already got into schools they really like so there's no need to interview. And their wonderful sloppy seconds are up for grabs!

Still waiting to hear from 16 schools. I hope you’re right!
 
Anyone know about the Georgetown GEMS program? I’m thinking of applying next year but I don’t want to rush into anything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II to Boston University this morning. I cannot believe this is happening...

Going up in January. Is the weather as bad as everyone is making it out to be?

It depends. I have been here since January of this year and this past winter was what everyone referred to as mild. I'm from Atlanta, so any amount of snow is catastrophic for me. 😉
 
Anyone know about the Georgetown GEMS program? I’m thinking of applying next year but I don’t want to rush into anything.

I'm currently an SMP student at Georgetown, but here's what I've posted about GEMS in some other threads:

I don't want to seem dramatic, but I really feel like Georgetown is a place of second chances. They pioneered this process and they also have another program called GEMS, which is for minority/disadvantaged med school reapplicants. I heard from someone in the program that they are basically guaranteed a spot at Georgetown if they get at least 80% in their classes, but it's apparently really hard to do that, lol.

Personally, I would recommend an SMP. Or, if you're truly desperate and have no other options, you could apply to GEMS. You're guaranteed a spot at Georgetown. From what I hear, it's a very intense program with a pretty high attrition rate. In recent years, like only 17/25 made it through the program. I heard that GEMS students are told something like this: "The spot is yours; it's yours to keep or lose." Pretty heavy, lol.

It's also free!

EDIT: Also, their whole curriculum is PBL. Like, someone in the program told me that they can be called up at random at any time to present on a topic that they've learned. Seems kind of scary. But I think the advantage is that you are molded into an excellent student by force, lol. It's either that, or you get kicked out, lol.
 
Last edited:
I'm currently an SMP student at Georgetown, but here's what I've posted about GEMS in some other threads:

I don't want to seem dramatic, but I really feel like Georgetown is a place of second chances. They pioneered this process and they also have another program called GEMS, which is for minority/disadvantaged med school reapplicants. I heard from someone in the program that they are basically guaranteed a spot at Georgetown if they get at least 80% in their classes, but it's apparently really hard to do that, lol.

Personally, I would recommend an SMP. Or, if you're truly desperate and have no other options, you could apply to GEMS. You're guaranteed a spot at Georgetown. From what I hear, it's a very intense program with a pretty high attrition rate. In recent years, like only 17/25 made it through the program. I heard that GEMS students are told something like this: "The spot is yours; it's yours to keep or lose." Pretty heavy, lol.

It's also free!

EDIT: Also, their whole curriculum is PBL. Like, someone in the program told me that they can be called up at random at any time to present on a topic that they've learned. Seems kind of scary. But I think the advantage is that you are molded into an excellent student by force, lol. It's either that, or you get kicked out, lol.

Is the GEMS program really free?!

I will have to take that into consideration.
 
Wait, are you sure GEMS is free? Their website has a tuition breakdown

I was under the impression that it was...hmm. I could have sworn it was full scholarship. Maybe they changed it, and it's no longer a free scholarship? I don't know. Is that what's stopping you from applying?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
View attachment 226107

MY FIRST MD ACCEPTANCE HAS COME THROUGH THE DOOR!!!!! THANK YOU JESUS!!!!! IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!! AS SOMEONE WITH LOW STATS WHO WAS TOLD I WOULDNT HAVE A SHOT OF GETTING IN ANYWHERE THIS MEANS SO MUCH TO ME. IM HYPERVENTILATING


Have you called your parents yet?

Buy yourself something nice!
 
Has anyone reached out directly to Deans of Diversity at medical schools? I’m trying to finesse a couple interviews (I know, I know) and I think that may be my best hope.

Any experiences with that? Anyone think their relationship with a Dean of Diversity or a Diversity office has helped them?
 
Me: MOM I JUST GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!

Mom: That's nice honey, where?

Me: Case Western! I also got offered an invitation for merit scholarship!

Mom: that's nice.

Comes back 5 minutes later

Mom: I hope you didn't accept the offer. It's only ranked 25 you know. (Insert name of Nigerian family friend)'s child goes to (insert name of top 10 school). You better not choose to go there.

Me: .....wow thanks mom.

Everyone always talks about how academically demanding Asian parents are but honestly, I think African parents take the cake.
 
Me: MOM I JUST GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!

Mom: That's nice honey, where?

Me: Case Western! I also got offered an invitation for merit scholarship!

Mom: that's nice.

Comes back 5 minutes later

Mom: I hope you didn't accept the offer. It's only ranked 25 you know. (Insert name of Nigerian family friend)'s child goes to (insert name of top 10 school). You better not choose to go there.

Me: .....wow thanks mom.

Everyone always talks about how academically demanding Asian parents are but honestly, I think African parents take the cake.
Bruh. As soon as you get in they start becoming picky about things.:laugh::laugh:
 
Me: MOM I JUST GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!

Mom: That's nice honey, where?

Me: Case Western! I also got offered an invitation for merit scholarship!

Mom: that's nice.

Comes back 5 minutes later

Mom: I hope you didn't accept the offer. It's only ranked 25 you know. (Insert name of Nigerian family friend)'s child goes to (insert name of top 10 school). You better not choose to go there.

Me: .....wow thanks mom.

Everyone always talks about how academically demanding Asian parents are but honestly, I think African parents take the cake.
Congrats bud! That is truly an amazing school to get accepted to and the merit scholarship is just icing on the cake! Go wherever you feel would be the best school for you. Don't listen to your mom looking up rank lists on U.S news.
 
Received my interview invite to Rush Medical College yesterday. Going to Chicago for the first time in December. Anyone have any tips?
Tips on how to have fun in Chicago or medical school interviews?

As a local, I can definitely help you out with sightseeing and must-dos
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven’t heard anything from Howard. I’m going to send them an update soon.

I withdrew from Meharry and was rejected from Morehouse a few months ago.
I should send an update to Howard. But I don’t have anything to really update with. Maybe when I start my new job lol
August 25th. It just makes no sense because some people who submitted so much later than me got invited to interview and accepted already.
I was completed later. But still I was done fairly early. September. I haven’t heard a peep
Sent secondaries to Morehouse, Howard, and Meharry in that order. Complete and total silence from howard and meharry
I think both schools were interviewing people in April so.......CP time med school style
This is the best way to describe it. CP medical school time. I’m so weak.