**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with this to a point as well :) I think you added to my comment perfectly by stating that when you’ve made it to the interview that your stats have already been deemed acceptable enough. Doesn’t mean you’ll be accepted, but you have a chance. (This of course excludes the program(s) that extends II blind of stats) I think being considered for acceptance vs “immediate” acceptance are two different things.
Hey... so what schools send out blind II so I can know for next year lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I got you, I got you :) Here it goes, the Dean of Admissons at UCLA stated their disadvantaged committee operates this way when reviewing applications. He said that these IIs are blind to GPAs/MCAT and are based the remainder of the application. After the interview the stats are revealed and, depending on your interview, a 51 percentile MCAT or better keeps you in the ring, but doesn’t guarantee acceptance of course.

I’m just hypothesizing there, but I have a feeling that their definition of disadvantaged is not as black and white as defined by AAMC and that applying to Drew or PRIME may interrupt this process somehow. (I’m under the impression that Drew releases each application to Geffen only once the student has been rejected. Likely around Dec + for most.)

After speaking with the (former) Director of Student Diversity at UC Davis, a wild guess is that they may operate in a similar manner for a limited number of seats, but he’s at Yale now so I dunno.

All in all, don’t hold ya breath. Study MSAR and cast a well researched wide net.

There are medical schools that send out II without looking over the AMCAS? Which schools are these?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are medical schools that send out II without looking over the AMCAS? Which schools are these?
I think the meaning is that the interviewers are blind to the score and GPA at the moment they interview a person, NOT that the admissions committee members, who are possibly not the same people as the interviewers, invited you to an interview without looking at your grades & scores.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the meaning is that the interviewers are blind to the score and GPA at the moment they interview a person, NOT that the admissions committee members, who are possibly not the same people as the interviewers, invited you to an interview without looking at your grades & scores.

Yeah, exactly this. UCLA definitely has a separate committee for disadvantage students, but they still look at your stats. From the interviews I have been to USC does blind interviews, WashU has 1 blind interview, and UChicago does vary levels of blind interviews. When the committee dicusses your application everyone then has access to all of your stats.

Yeah, exactly this. UCLA definitely has a separate committee for disadvantage students, but they still look at your stats. From the interviews I have been to USC does blind interviews, WashU has 1 blind interview, and UChicago does vary levels of blind interviews. When the committee dicusses your application everyone then has access to all of your stats.
No, Ochem had meant blind as in not looking at stats (instead looking at status, ie disadvantaged), based on the above posted response. But yes, there are lots of schools that the interviewers are "blind" and they give you the chance to talk about your entire application. I love these kinds of interviews as you can highlight and give more detail about experiences you've had, and also address some things that weren't in your application that you may feel are important to that particular school. When the interviewer knows your entire app they are less likely to ask you questions pertaining to it as they think they know everything already.

Reactions: 1 user
No, Ochem had meant blind as in not looking at stats (instead looking at status, ie disadvantaged), based on the above posted response. But yes, there are lots of schools that the interviewers are "blind" and they give you the chance to talk about your entire application. I love these kinds of interviews as you can highlight and give more detail about experiences you've had, and also address some things that weren't in your application that you may feel are important to that particular school. When the interviewer knows your entire app they are less likely to ask you questions pertaining to it as they think they know everything already.

I just haven’t heard this any other place so I’m skeptical of this being true. Maybe UCLA give some secondaries blind to stats? But giving an II blind to stats just doesn’t seem realistic.

Edit: even if UCLA did give II blind to stats, they already looked at stats because the secondary is screened.

You’re correct I did mean that. I repeated almost verbatim what the Dean told me when I was shadowing him. But hey, for arguments sake I will say that there is a slight possibility that I may have misunderstood what he meant. . . But I doubt it. I think we’ll need additional input from an insider to know for certain. I do know a student or two that is on the adcom there (and no they aren’t allowed to review my app, lol) I’ll ask them.

I just haven’t heard this any other place so I’m skeptical of this being true. Maybe UCLA give some secondaries blind to stats? But giving an II blind to stats just doesn’t seem realistic.

Skeptical is good! And, well, UCLA is unlike any other place in a few ways. I admit this practice, which is for a small subset of IIs, is different but I was told directly from the Dean of Admissons so I never questioned it. In the scheme of things, it’s still extremely hard to gain admission there.

He specifically said that only these II are based on everything BUT stats, they aren’t blind to the entire app. Applicants can mark their application as disadvantaged so it isn’t like the reviewers don’t know who these applicants are before delving into their app for both secondaries or II.

So, if I'm able to do the post-bacc, what classes should I focus on? I know I need to take science courses but what should I focus on? I'm interested in neurosciences, anatomy, physiology, etc. In addition, I'll be on a campus with a HUGE associated hospital/medical school- should I do more shadowing and volunteering? My program involves research so that should be fun. I'm going to retake the MCAT and shoot for a score in the teens (I only studied for one month to get a 500).

I'm basically doing another 1-1.5 years of beefing up my application. What other things should I do in this time?

I'd also like to apologize for lashing out and throwing a tantrum on this thread. Life came at me fast.
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

so I retook the MCAT and went from low 490s to a 501. Would you all suggest applying next cycle. I have a 3.5 GPA with strong activities and volunteering. I want to attend an allopathic school. Do you think I have a chance of getting in somewhere.
I will say that I received an acceptance to an MD school with a 499 so its not impossible. however other aspects of your application have to shine to prove to the committee that you deserve a spot in their school.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm relieved and excited that this application cycle is officially over for me. I was accepted to three MD schools and chose my beloved HBCU (Morehouse). Best wishes and prayers to everyone still in the running. Don't doubt yourself and don't doubt God. He will ALWAYS make a way!

Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm relieved and excited that this application cycle is officially over for me. I was accepted to three MD schools and chose my beloved HBCU (Morehouse). Best wishes and prayers to everyone still in the running. Don't doubt yourself and don't doubt God. He will ALWAYS make a way!
Thank God for success! I'm happy for you, and all you guys on this thread! It's hard to believe it's almost been a year since I was in this same spot; I really hope you guys stay SDN to help out the next class!

Reactions: 9 users
Thank God for success! I'm happy for you, and all you guys on this thread! It's hard to believe it's almost been a year since I was in this same spot; I really hope you guys stay SDN to help out the next class!

Thank you! And yes, thank GOD. I certainly Will hang around to help. My inbox is open to anyone!

*For anyone interested* My background: non-traditional re-applicant with average stats and a strong passion about helping the underserved and health disparities. If that sounds like you don’t hesitate to message me, please!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
hello! fellow hispanic, non-trad *waves* just wanted to say that I stumbled upon this thread during one of my MCAT breaks and y'all are inspiring me, thank you! now time to go back to studying and buckle down!!

Reactions: 6 users
I got 3 MD interviews and, as on right now, one MD acceptance, one waitlist, and still waiting to hear from the other. I have a 498 MCAT, 3.92c and 3.89sci GPA. First time applying, AA female, and first gen, if you care about any of that.

Nice job future doc! What was your CARS score if you don't mind me asking? :)

Reactions: 1 user
You guys are awesome. Congrats to everyone accepted and all the good vibes/blessings/prayers to everyone still on their own path to med school.

I also wanted to chime in on the previous discussion about interviewing skills being important:

I don't think that it's necessarily about lack of interviewing skills all the time when you manage to have a lot of interviews, but I'm starting to think that schools are good at sensing that they may be your last choice. I am experiencing something really weird, where the one place that I absolutely loved (it became my first choice the second I arrived, & that was confirmed after I met other applicants, heard everyone talk, etc.) and felt the best at (lines up with my goals, in my exact ideal location, service-oriented, health disparities experiences, diverse populations, wonderful people, non-letter grades, etc.) interviewed me early & accepted me way early.

Every interview after that was not even second best and I tried to attend all of them, even after my first choice accepted me. But I was super relieved with every rejection months later, and that encouraged me to stop wasting mulla to visit schools/locations I would never pick over the one that already wanted me. Like some of you, I do really well with people, I genuinely love interacting with others, & I have gotten great & plentiful feedback on how great I am during an interview so I am doubtful it was due to my skills, but maybe my lack of "spirit" or something? Or maybe being able to be outwardly enthusiastic is an interview skill I haven't mastered yet?

Life is weird. I'm still in the running for a few schools & the only reason I'm keeping them around is potential scholarship money AND the slight potential to stay closer to family (but even that reason is starting to pale in comparison to where I'm already accepted). Anyway, I do agree that the seat is yours to keep or lose when you get the interview to a certain extent. Additionally, it is extremely important to present well on paper (stats, PS, activities, etc.). That's always been a strong suit of mind, so I should have assumed before starting this that getting the interview would not be as difficult as pretending to be interested in a school you would never attend for a day.

S/N: I apologize if this comes off as rude at all. All of the schools that interviewed me or wanted to are amazing, & have their own great qualities. I was blessed to even get the II's (or the secondaries for that matter ;)).

General question: Are scholarships usually just for tuition, or are "full ride" scholarships also a thing?

You guys are awesome. Congrats to everyone accepted and all the good vibes/blessings/prayers to everyone still on their own path to med school.

I also wanted to chime in on the previous discussion about interviewing skills being important:

I don't think that it's necessarily about lack of interviewing skills all the time when you manage to have a lot of interviews, but I'm starting to think that schools are good at sensing that they may be your last choice. I am experiencing something really weird, where the one place that I absolutely loved (it became my first choice the second I arrived, & that was confirmed after I met other applicants, heard everyone talk, etc.) and felt the best at (lines up with my goals, in my exact ideal location, service-oriented, health disparities experiences, diverse populations, wonderful people, non-letter grades, etc.) interviewed me early & accepted me way early.

Every interview after that was not even second best and I tried to attend all of them, even after my first choice accepted me. But I was super relieved with every rejection months later, and that encouraged me to stop wasting mulla to visit schools/locations I would never pick over the one that already wanted me. Like some of you, I do really well with people, I genuinely love interacting with others, & I have gotten great & plentiful feedback on how great I am during an interview so I am doubtful it was due to my skills, but maybe my lack of "spirit" or something? Or maybe being able to be outwardly enthusiastic is an interview skill I haven't mastered yet?

Life is weird. I'm still in the running for a few schools & the only reason I'm keeping them around is potential scholarship money AND the slight potential to stay closer to family (but even that reason is starting to pale in comparison to where I'm already accepted). Anyway, I do agree that the seat is yours to keep or lose when you get the interview to a certain extent. Additionally, it is extremely important to present well on paper (stats, PS, activities, etc.). That's always been a strong suit of mind, so I should have assumed before starting this that getting the interview would not be as difficult as pretending to be interested in a school you would never attend for a day.

S/N: I apologize if this comes off as rude at all. All of the schools that interviewed me or wanted to are amazing, & have their own great qualities. I was blessed to even get the II's (or the secondaries for that matter ;)).

I agree with this. The one school where I went into the interview like “I’m only here for lunch - wouldn’t go here if you gave me a free ride AND a Maserati” waitlisted me. I guess they could tell that I wasn’t really feeling them. I thought I had faked it pretty well, but I’m not much of an actor.

Hey guys. I just wanted to step in here and just talk because I'm a little bit frustrated. I have been super blessed this cycle because I have gotten 8 II. However, a lot of my II have only resulted in waitlists. I have one acceptance, which I am super grateful for considering my MCAT was a 500 and my science GPA was a 3.2, overall 3.6. (I am non-traditional and graduated a few years ago.) But I was waitlisted at five schools. I'm just not really sure what's going on with my interviewing. I did a mock interview through my school last October and got good feedback. I thoroughly prepared for all my interviews, gave it my all, and thought I came out of everything feeling super good. Maybe I'm like a little too rehearsed? I don't know. It's just kind of been a blow to my ego to have gotten so many II but only one acceptance. I absolutely love the school I got into though, loved the interview day, staff, faculty, fellow students...I have my last interview coming up in a week and a half though. I'm really sorry if this sounds ungrateful, but I just wanted to express this to you guys because I feel safer around my fellow URM to do so. I guess I just feel this way because I can't help but feel super inferior to all of you guys who have gotten 5+ acceptances.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I just wanted to step in here and just talk because I'm a little bit frustrated. I have been super blessed this cycle because I have gotten 8 II. However, a lot of my II have only resulted in waitlists. I have one acceptance, which I am super grateful for considering my MCAT was a 500 and my science GPA was a 3.2, overall 3.6. (I am non-traditional and graduated a few years ago.) But I was waitlisted at five schools. I'm just not really sure what's going on with my interviewing. I did a mock interview through my school last October and got good feedback. I thoroughly prepared for all my interviews, gave it my all, and thought I came out of everything feeling super good. Maybe I'm like a little too rehearsed? I don't know. It's just kind of been a blow to my ego to have gotten so many II but only one acceptance. I absolutely love the school I got into though, loved the interview day, staff, faculty, fellow students...I have my last interview coming up in a week and a half though. I'm really sorry if this sounds ungrateful, but I just wanted to express this to you guys because I feel safer around my fellow URM to do so.
I identify with this SO much, I've been thinking along the same lines here. I have virtually identical stats, including the nontrad part. I got 5 II from 16 apps, with 1 acceptance so far and the rest deferrals! I also did a bunch of mock interviews and am very confident in my interviewing -- I am personable and outgoing, have great examples from my life for pretty much any interview prompt, and got tons of great feedback from residents, attendings, and diversity and inclusion reps with whom I did mocks. What I've thought about is that getting deferred post-II is probably not a reflection on our interviewing skills: my guess is that it's a reflection of my (our) stats -- we were perhaps "on the border" of getting an II in the first place, or they were inspired by our essays/activities/story in our application, but in the post-II review they focused back in on our stats. Maybe there were more biased old white dudes in the room who didn't give us the time of day, maybe the people who interviewed us/read our initial essays and were inspired weren't able to convince the others that we were worth the "risk" (quotes implying heavy sarcasm). Maybe they invited us "poor URMs" to interview to make themselves feel good at the beginning of the interview season, but by the end they're drowning in high-stat applicants and their priorities shifted. Idk.

I also identify with your conflicting emotions. I'm so grateful to have been accepted. But I'm also so jaded about this application process. It's such a joke, and the way schools just drag you down the line for such an extended period of time is ridiculous. Especially for us nontrads with spouses/family. My poor fiance has no idea where to try to land a job yet... and summer is approaching fast.

Hey guys. I just wanted to step in here and just talk because I'm a little bit frustrated. I have been super blessed this cycle because I have gotten 8 II. However, a lot of my II have only resulted in waitlists. I have one acceptance, which I am super grateful for considering my MCAT was a 500 and my science GPA was a 3.2, overall 3.6. (I am non-traditional and graduated a few years ago.) But I was waitlisted at five schools. I'm just not really sure what's going on with my interviewing. I did a mock interview through my school last October and got good feedback. I thoroughly prepared for all my interviews, gave it my all, and thought I came out of everything feeling super good. Maybe I'm like a little too rehearsed? I don't know. It's just kind of been a blow to my ego to have gotten so many II but only one acceptance. I absolutely love the school I got into though, loved the interview day, staff, faculty, fellow students...I have my last interview coming up in a week and a half though. I'm really sorry if this sounds ungrateful, but I just wanted to express this to you guys because I feel safer around my fellow URM to do so. I guess I just feel this way because I can't help but feel super inferior to all of you guys who have gotten 5+ acceptances.
Just because you were not accepted doesn't mean you didn't interview well. The schools just can't accept everybody. They can only accept the best candidates that fit their perspectives at the time. Congratulations on your acceptance though. You made it out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I'd say your interview skills are much better than you think. When the adcom meets they don't ignore your stats, they just pair it with the interview. So waitlist probably means your interview was great and they like you but they can't rank you higher than people they liked with higher stats/better ECs etc. You weren't rejected meaning they said, "if our top picks (aka great interview and great stats/app) decline to attend we will take the students with great interviews and lower stats/app. The people rejected Post-II are the ones who were either terrible interview and great stats/app or okay interview and lower stats/app
You got 5 WLs...I'm not a gambling human but if I was I'd bet you are in the fantastic interview and lower stats category

@testing123123, @MindyLahiriWannabee , @lenspx , much love. :love: I really appreciate your insightful comments and outlook on the process. I guess I had been a little frustrated with getting waitlisted, but you are right, they can't accept everybody. This process has been long, tiring, expensive, and unpredictable to say the least. Overall, I am grateful and blessed that I will be someone's medical doctor!

Reactions: 7 users
so I retook the MCAT and went from low 490s to a 501. Would you all suggest applying next cycle. I have a 3.5 GPA with strong activities and volunteering. I want to attend an allopathic school. Do you think I have a chance of getting in somewhere.
APPLY

Reactions: 3 users
So0oo0 are we gonna talk about Tyrone and this Howard scandal or nah? Lol. I'm so disappointed in HBCUs and how disorganized they are.

I still don’t comprehend. They make it seem like the fin aid department is basically run like a piggy bank

There’s a Howard scandal?
Yeah a student name Tyrone Hankerson stoke like almost half a million dollars of financial aid from Howard (he was a student employee at Howard’s financial aid office), meanwhile Howard is 22 mil in debt and doesn’t have much financial aid as is. He was then emailing students who were on the verge of having to transfer and stuff because there was no aid money that they would have to apply for outside scholarships to fund their education. This affected graduate students as well. Other employees were in on it and I believe six people were fired yesterday. How they stole the money was by registering for classes, which they didn’t have to pay for since they were employees. Then they would issue themselves financial aid and grants and pocket the refund checks.

Yeah a student name Tyrone Hankerson stoke like almost half a million dollars of financial aid from Howard (he was a student employee at Howard’s financial aid office), meanwhile Howard is 22 mil in debt and doesn’t have much financial aid as is. He was then emailing students who were on the verge of having to transfer and stuff because there was no aid money that they would have to apply for outside scholarships to fund their education. This affected graduate students as well. Other employees were in on it and I believe six people were fired yesterday. How they stole the money was by registering for classes, which they didn’t have to pay for since they were employees. Then they would issue themselves financial aid and grants and pocket the refund checks.

Well, that’s one surefire way to end up in prison. Way to go, Tyrone et. al.

lol. He was really living his best life.

Right! A hot mess. Sashaying across the campus wearing other students financial aid hopes and dreams. I read an article that said the Associate Director of fid aid was in on it and got a lot of refunds as well. A lot of people will be going down. Luckily, for them and the university, they didn’t steal federal aid so it seems like the university and it’s students will be okay in that respect going forward.

Reactions: 4 users
Did you guys see then pics from Twitter. That man was on a yatch! He was just traveling! Living it upppp. I cannot deal, lmao

Did you guys see then pics from Twitter. That man was on a yatch! He was just traveling! Living it upppp. I cannot deal, lmao
I choked at the pictures of him with the fur on and the Range Rover...”you can’t even spell embezzlement.” :laugh::laugh::laugh:

A yacht...hmm maybe I’m going into the wrong line of business;)

I was restricted fron posting here about two weeks ago but I’m back.

Once again, thanks for all your help! With some much needed down time, I’ve developed a plan:

1. Retake MCAT this year (goal 513+)

2. Get more clincial experiences

3. Take some classes as post bacc- Fall of 2018: Cancer Genetics, Physiology, Neuroscience and Physics.

4. Apply to Drexel, Eastern Virginia and Georgetown SMPs.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: 10 users
Right! A hot mess. Sashaying across the campus wearing other students financial aid hopes and dreams. I read an article that said the Associate Director of fid aid was in on it and got a lot of refunds as well. A lot of people will be going down. Luckily, for them and the university, they didn’t steal federal aid so it seems like the university and it’s students will be okay in that respect going forward.

If they stole federal aid would this have affected their accreditation? I’m clueless when it comes to this stuff.

If they stole federal aid would this have affected their accreditation? I’m clueless when it comes to this stuff.

I don’t know the exact interworkings either, by my best guess is that it would not harm their accreditation, but instead their compliance with Title IV regulations and possibly their students ability to access to federal aid. Two years ago a major beauty college faced allegations of misappropriating federal aid and once the Dept of Ed decided to withdraw funding the beauty college closed all of its campuses abruptly.

Howard likely isn’t at risk of this happening as the investigation determined the crimes didn’t involve fed funds. My guess is Howard wouldn’t shut down if it were fed funds though and the Dept of Ed withdrew, but not all students can qualify for private loans so it would hurt them.

I was restricted fron posting here about two weeks ago but I’m back.

Once again, thanks for all your help! With some much needed down time, I’ve developed a plan:

1. Retake MCAT this year (goal 513+)

2. Get more clincial experiences

3. Take some classes as post bacc- Fall of 2018: Cancer Genetics, Physiology, Neuroscience and Physics.

4. Apply to Drexel, Eastern Virginia and Georgetown SMPs.

What do you guys think?

Additionally, I’m considering an MPH- would this be helpful?