2017 83-Day MCAT Study Plan (using Berkeley Review, Kaplan and Khan Academy Cross-References)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstOrder55

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I mainly developed this plan for myself, but I thought I would post it here! I have updated all the references from the @mcatjelly, @SN2ed, and @_Nymeria_ study guides for a 2017 Study Plan. Credit to them for the inspiration! I'm simply uploading it in hopes it might help someone else. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but at least it might be a useful guide to cross-reference between the Berkeley Review, Kaplan Review and Khan Academy. All that I ask is that you give credit where it belongs - to the three people I tagged above, and to myself for updating/creating the schedule. It took a lot of time, and I am really proud of what I compiled.

Also, feel free to post any criticism or suggestions for the schedule. Before you do, read the Second page of the schedule (the introduction). It explains more on there about it and how to use it. I didn't want to include all that information on the thread as a curtesy to those who aren't interested in reading all of that.

Also, for those who might be interested - I am not starting my review till June 19th, 2017, and am scheduled to take the MCAT on September 9th 2017.

Thanks!
FirstOrder55

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• MCAT 83-Day Study Schedule 2017 - FirstOrder55 .pdf
    159 KB · Views: 1,826
  • 83-Day MCAT Study Schedule - FirstOrder55.xlsx
    537.1 KB · Views: 858
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
How do you follow it day by day?

The plan is to focus on the practice problems; mainly because it's only an 83 day review.

1. Review, or skim, through the chapters for each day
2. Read/Study the material that I recognize that I need to work on
3. Start working on the practice problems and review my mistakes in the same day. Also, I forgot to say this in the introduction of the schedule, but it is inferred that you do all the available discrete questions per chapter.

Is that what you were talking about?

Reactions: 1 user
So to follow this schedule do you have to have TBR? I have the KAPLAN 7 book set. I see how for the content review you put out what sections are equivalent but for the science and cars passages columns it looks like its mainly TBR. I cannot afford to spend $400 more, is there any supplements for those?

Members don't see this ad :)
So to follow this schedule do you have to have TBR? I have the KAPLAN 7 book set. I see how for the content review you put out what sections are equivalent but for the science and cars passages columns it looks like its mainly TBR. I cannot afford to spend $400 more, is there any supplements for those?

Honestly, I'm not sure whether there is a replacement that's as good as TBR. The whole idea though is to get tons of practice with passages everyday. You might try ExamKrackers, which are like $45 for each section I think. I have a biochemistry practice book from them which looks pretty good! Definitely has a lot of practice passages to work on. You could also, perhaps, do more of the Khan Acadamy passages a day but there is a good chance that you will run out of them.

I was super hesitent at first about spending the $413 for all 10 of the Berkeley Review books, but once I saw how much practice they had I knew it was worth the price. Maybe consider only buying the essential subject books like Biology, Physics, Organic Chemistry and General Chemistry; or any combination of them.

All in all, if I had to choose which materials I would buy; I would rate their importance in the following order:

1. Official AAMC Complete Study Bundle
2. The Berkeley Review - All 10 Books
3. Kaplan Review

This is mainly because, in my opinion, Khan academy provides a substantial review of the content for most people at no cost. You want to make sure you have as many practice problems as possible to work on so I would focus putting the money into books that provide those for you!

Hope this helps!

FirstOrder55

I like the layout. Do you have this in .doc or .docx?

Sorry I do not. I just uploaded an .xlsx version on my original post. Be forewarned, I created the file on a mac using Numbers, not Excel. I'm not sure if everything was exported to .xlsx perfectly. The pdf is a good example of how I intended it to look.

This schedule looks good - I was wondering what score range did it yield when the test was taken based on the schedule/ content breakdown. Please share the score range if you can so I can learn using this study plan. Thanks so much!

Hey Everyone!

I mainly developed this plan for myself, but I thought I would post it here! I have updated all the references from the @mcatjelly, @SN2ed, and @_Nymeria_ study guides for a 2017 Study Plan. Credit to them for the inspiration! I'm simply uploading it in hopes it might help someone else. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but at least it might be a useful guide to cross-reference between the Berkeley Review, Kaplan Review and Khan Academy. All that I ask is that you give credit where it belongs - to the three people I tagged above, and to myself for updating/creating the schedule. It took a lot of time, and I am really proud of what I compiled.

Also, feel free to post any criticism or suggestions for the schedule. Before you do, read the Second page of the schedule (the introduction). It explains more on there about it and how to use it. I didn't want to include all that information on the thread as a curtesy to those who aren't interested in reading all of that.

Also, for those who might be interested - I am not starting my review till June 19th, 2017, and am scheduled to take the MCAT on September 9th 2017.

Thanks!
FirstOrder55

This schedule looks good - I was wondering what score range did it yield when the test was taken based on the schedule/ content breakdown. Please share the score range if you can so I can learn using this study plan. Thanks so much!

Good Question. So, when push came to shove I decided to postpone taking the MCAT until Summer 2018. I made this decision primarily because I wanted to have a chance to take Biochemistry first during my studies at UCSD. I'm taking Biochem this quarter so I should be more prepared for the material this summer. As I was using the study plan I felt like it was good review for all of the subjects, except Biology/Biochemistry and that was mainly because I hadn't learned a lot of the material in the study books. Instead of taking it and not being as satisfied with my score, I decided to wait and only take the test once. Each to their own though.

One of my good friends followed the study plan that summer though pretty well and she said that she got a 509. Remember though, the study plan is more of a reference guide than a to-do list. If you find the Khan Academy videos the most helpful, then just watch those, but the corresponding chapters in the Kaplan and BR books are included for your convenience. The same goes for the other books. Obviously if you want more time you can stretch out the review longer to make it a 100 day study plan or something. The most important thing to do in the plan are the practice problems though. There are TONS of practice problems if you do the ones required everyday!

Hope this helps.

Ordered TBR books a month ago and wanted to do content review with KA. I had no idea someone had aligned the videos to the TBR books. God bless you lol.

Hey Everyone!

Thanks!
FirstOrder55

Wow, this is a very thorough 12-week plan. Thanks for putting so much time in to connect the various subjects from one resource to the other.

@FirstOrder55 thanks a lot for the well thought out schedule w/ the updated TBR books!

Just wanted to ask if you could clarify a few questions:

1.) Which Kaplan Video should be followed along with the schedule?

(I have access to the online, but just not sure how you were matching the videos w/ the corresponding content in the rows.)

2.) Assuming the "Rel" column stands for relevance, did you just base asterisk rating system off the AAMC official guide breakdown of % of question topics/types?

Congratulations! This looks like a very solid guide. =)

Hey Everyone!

Thanks!
FirstOrder55
Thank you.