This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No I didnt transfer from DO program. I submitted my application Feb 16. It was complete on March 1st. around 3.2 spga; NO mcat I am a Missouri resident;

Congratulations! Hope to hear something soon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Waiting as well, they said my app is being viewed right now!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So it seems like very few get admitted to the Va campus. And between the Auburn & Carolinas, students are placed based on their state of residency?

Yeah. The VA campus is given preference to people who live in VA or nearby it. My friend was given the choice of Auburn and
Carolina Campus... he chose the Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah. The VA campus is given preference to people who live in VA or nearby it. My friend was given the choice of Auburn and
Carolina Campus... he chose the Carolina

You have any idea where people from NY might get placed? Thanks!

I can't see any reason to pick Auburn over Spartanburg. Older school > newer school.

It's probably all about the location. I really like VCOM's mission to help the underserved!

True but Auburn hasn't graduated a class yet, right? So if you're gunning for things other than family medicine, your future could be slightly blurry in regard to what residencies are available after graduation. At least Spartanburg has some graduated classes and you can get a ballpark of how things are going.

True but Auburn hasn't graduated a class yet, right? So if you're gunning for things other than family medicine, your future could be slightly blurry in regard to what residencies are available after graduation. At least Spartanburg has some graduated classes and you can get a ballpark of how things are going.

Yeah, they opened in 2014. It'll be great to meet the gpa and the mcat requirement right in Dec for that first review, so at least we'll have a somewhat option of choosing a location. In either case, I'll be happy just getting in the DO program...lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, they opened in 2014. It'll be great to meet the gpa and the mcat requirement right in Dec for that first review, so at least we'll have a somewhat option of choosing a location. In either case, I'll be happy just getting in the DO program...lol

Don't mistake what I said as ungrateful, this is definitely the best opportunity I've received in my life. Just simply if you compare the schools and could choose between them, Id rather go with a school that is a little more established (especially since I have no connections in the region).

I think when it comes to name recognition and residency matching, the order of the schools goes VA>CC>Auburn

Accepted!!!! Got the email today around 3PM

Reactions: 4 users
Hey I saw you haven't had a reply yet so I figured I would chime in. I am also in the program and was also offered a seat in next year's DO class. As for why I chose the VCOM post-bacc, I was actually rejected by them pre-II and in their rejection email they talked about this program so I figured I might as well apply as it was my second application cycle with no acceptances. I emailed the administration and they easily transferred my DO application over and I was accepted about a month later (in May). I was on a waitlist for another DO program but never got the call so I started here in the fall. My stats were 3.4/3.2 c/sGPA and 30 MCAT.

As for the classes, in the first semester we had anatomy, biochem, physio, neuroscience, health policy, and nutrition. All courses are taught by faculty members that teach the OMS-I and IIs and they stressed to us that they use the same lecture slides and pull exam questions from the same question banks. All the courses except one (nutrition) I felt were great classes taught by wonderful faculty that made their expectations very clear for what you need to know. They were all also very available for office hours or email. Also in this program you are in class from 8-12 with "mandatory" attendance. I put mandatory in quotes in that they don't take attendance (as far as I know) but I wouldn't be surprised if some faculty noticed if someone wasn't showing up to class on a regular basis. You do not take classes with medical students. In fact, you are in a building across the street from the actual medical school. The classroom is pretty nice so I don't mind it at all. In fact, I've probably stepped inside the main medical school building <5 times.

Blacksburg is a really cool town. It is a college town with lots to offer in terms of things to do whether it be hiking, sports, nightlife, etc. Plus your tuition fee includes the ability to use all of Virginia Tech's facilities. I will say the surrounding area is more rural than I expected and the local shopping mall leaves a bit to be desired, but I was too busy in the books to really care. If i remember correctly, 51 out of 98 received acceptance letters for the December review.

As for what I don't like about the program, I honestly have to nitpick to find something I don't like. I applied to maybe 30-35 med schools across two cycles and never was able to secure an acceptance until this program took a chance on me so I am eternally thankful. I guess I'm not a fan of how often you take tests in this program. Literally you have a test every Monday and sometimes Friday too. This can be a good thing in that you can bomb an exam and be totally fine, but maintaining that level of endurance to prepare for so many exams throughout the semester can be really tough mentally. Also not the biggest fan on the business casual dress code and mandatory attendance and the fact the program does not do any sort of lecture capture. However those are once again pretty nitpicky since all VCOM campuses have the same policies, including with the weekly testing (if i remember correctly)

Feel free to ask any more questions on here or PM me. Best of luck!

This is very helpful! Thank you so much! How did the application for acceptance in December work? was it through a portal?

Since you said you were in class from 8-12, how much time did you spend studying?

What were the tests like?

For all of you thinking about doing VCOM's graduate certificate program... do it!! I'm currently halfway through the program and just got my acceptance to their DO program starting next fall. I know the 3.6 requirement sounds scary, but it's definitely doable if you start studying hard from day 1. I feel 100x more prepared for med school now, the professors are all really helpful and excited to teach, and the environment of Blacksburg is amazing. One heads up if you do get accepted: Don't get too attached to the VA campus if you're not from VA...they WILL send you to either Spartanburg or Auburn due to the demand for the VA campus.

Feel free to ask me any questions! Good luck everyone!
I just got accepted and I am from VA but never been to Blacksburg. Any tips on finding single affordable housing close to campus. I would do doubles too but I don't want to had a room mate that isn't in the program as well.

Does anyone have any input in deciding PCOM-PA vs VCOM post baccs? I made a separate post about this in the postbacc section (here) but it's getting buried :(

PCOM: 2 year masters (If you leave after the 1st year because of med school acceptance or something you will earn a certificate), >3.0 GPA in program gives guaranteed interview for their DO program
VCOM: You guys know all the details :)

PCOM
Pros: I'm sure PCOM admissions likes to pull students from their post bacc program and they also still honor grade replacement which I would be taking full advantage of when applying to their medical school as a post bacc student. I keep getting told by friends that PCOM is more prestigious making it an easy decision. Living in a city could be cool
Cons: I know all of these post baccs will be very intense but I've heard that PCOM's curriculum in particular is very difficult. Working so hard for an interview rather than an acceptance makes VCOM more appealing.

VCOM
Pros
: VCOM's guaranteed admission if you meet the criteria seems a lot safer. I've heard only great things about the program from current and previous students. Students seem more collaborative in helping everyone succeed which I'm big into.
Cons: In both programs you earn a certificate after 1 year but PCOM offers the option to do an additional year to earn a masters degree. Heard the school in the middle of nowhere? I'd have to look more into this.

I just got accepted and I am from VA but never been to Blacksburg. Any tips on finding single affordable housing close to campus. I would do doubles too but I don't want to had a room mate that isn't in the program as well.

Accepted Student Information | VCOM - The Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine

Go down to the housing part and email the lady on there to put yourself on the housing listserv and that PDF has housing options as well

Does anyone have any input in deciding PCOM-PA vs VCOM post baccs? I made a separate post about this in the postbacc section (here) but it's getting buried :(

PCOM: 2 year masters (If you leave after the 1st year because of med school acceptance or something you will earn a certificate), >3.0 GPA in program gives guaranteed interview for their DO program

PCOM
Pros: I'm sure PCOM admissions likes to pull students from their post bacc program and they also still honor grade replacement which I would be taking full advantage of when applying to their medical school as a post bacc student. I keep getting told by friends that PCOM is more prestigious making it an easy decision. Living in a city could be cool
Cons: I know all of these post baccs will be very intense but I've heard that PCOM's curriculum in particular is very difficult. Working so hard for an interview rather than an acceptance makes VCOM more appealing.

VCOM
Pros
: VCOM's guaranteed admission if you meet the criteria seems a lot safer. I've heard only great things about the program from current and previous students. Students seem more collaborative in helping everyone succeed which I'm big into.
Cons: In both programs you earn a certificate after 1 year but PCOM offers the option to do an additional year to earn a masters degree. Heard the school in the middle of nowhere? I'd have to look more into this.

I don't have much of input other than vcom has a high matriculation rate from program to med school. Like something 75%+ in the past 3-4 years. That's very appealing. Although PCOM is a better school, I'm not sure the matriculation is as high after the first year and many have to finish the Masters

PCOM

VCOM
Pros

I was in a similar situation a few weeks back. I wasn't too sure if MD/DO admissions would look at a 1 year Masters program more favorably than VCOM's Graduate Certificate Program. So, I called a bunch of in state MD schools, and they ALL gave me the same response. They gave their own versions of the generic; "If the curriculum is similar, go to the program you prefer." If your end goal is to be a practicing physician and gaining admission to a DO school, then go to the program with the strongest linkage. Contact both programs and ask them how many students the program starts with, how many make the cut offs and get interviews, how many are able to secure a seat, and how many are wait-listed? Go with the program that gives you the highest chance of securing a seat. I'd personally go with VCOM due to the very strong linkage and rather impressive match. If you're interested in taking a look at VCOM's match lists, it's a little tricky to find. Go to this link: VCOM Annual Report 2015, click on the student section, and you'll find the list between pages 43-47.

I emailed the program as well, but I was just wondering -- any of you know if my mom's pay stub would work as proof of funding?

does anybody know how the mcat benchmark works. you need a 22 and a 3.6 gpa but do you need anything like a subscore??? do you need a minimum in each section

does anybody know how the mcat benchmark works. you need a 22 and a 3.6 gpa but do you need anything like a subscore??? do you need a minimum in each section

No subscores.

I don't have much of input other than vcom has a high matriculation rate from program to med school. Like something 75%+ in the past 3-4 years. That's very appealing. Although PCOM is a better school, I'm not sure the matriculation is as high after the first year and many have to finish the Masters

I was going through the PCOM MS statistics page which showed that the 2016 class had 77 students and of that 15 were accepted to DO schools and 2 were accepted to MD schools. If I read the graphs correctly that's a 22% matriculation rate to medical school of last year's class :/

I was in a similar situation a few weeks back. I wasn't too sure if MD/DO admissions would look at a 1 year Masters program more favorably than VCOM's Graduate Certificate Program. So, I called a bunch of in state MD schools, and they ALL gave me the same response. They gave their own versions of the generic; "If the curriculum is similar, go to the program you prefer." If your end goal is to be a practicing physician and gaining admission to a DO school, then go to the program with the strongest linkage. Contact both programs and ask them how many students the program starts with, how many make the cut offs and get interviews, how many are able to secure a seat, and how many are wait-listed? Go with the program that gives you the highest chance of securing a seat. I'd personally go with VCOM due to the very strong linkage and rather impressive match. If you're interested in taking a look at VCOM's match lists, it's a little tricky to find. Go to this link: VCOM Annual Report 2015, click on the student section, and you'll find the list between pages 43-47.

Yeah I feel the same way. PCOM have their stats posted online (linked above) but I'll give a call to confirm some stats since I'm not sure if I'm interpreting their graphs correctly. Thanks for the link on the VCOM match list, I would of never found that haha

Hey Supermanwife,

The grade replacement policy is strictly done through AACOMAS. VCOM doesn't do grade policy as a school. They did mention that they look at trends and seem to favor the last 120 credit hour if you hit sufficient amount of credits.

This is incorrect. I was accepted to the program and asked the admissions coordinator, Alisa Hewitt, prior to applying to the program if the program honors grade replacement and she said yes. My GPA reflected the grade replacement policy. She added by saying however that because AACOMAS will no longer be doing this next year so will VCOM and all of its programs (School of Medicine, Graduate Certificate, etc.). If you have any questions about grade replacement, it's best to ask the admissions committee.

Hey guys quick question. I have been accepted to both LECOM and VCOM's program. I am trying to weigh out my options. If I go to LECOM I will not have to retake my MCAT (491), but if I go to VCOM i feel that I would have to get it up to the 494 to make my life easier. Any advice on this would help as VCOM starts at the end of July, so I would like to take the MCAT before then, and LECOM starts in September.

Also I heard that only 70/170 people matriculated at LECOM, while 51/98 had for VCOM, any insight into this from people that have been in either program would help.

Hey guys quick question. I have been accepted to both LECOM and VCOM's program. I am trying to weigh out my options. If I go to LECOM I will not have to retake my MCAT (491), but if I go to VCOM i feel that I would have to get it up to the 494 to make my life easier. Any advice on this would help as VCOM starts at the end of July, so I would like to take the MCAT before then, and LECOM starts in September.

Also I heard that only 70/170 people matriculated at LECOM, while 51/98 had for VCOM, any insight into this from people that have been in either program would help.

Did LECOM tell you directly that you do not have to retake the MCAT? This is from their site:

"Applicants who took the MCAT exam after April 2015 and are not using the AIS, must score in the 40th percentile or higher to successfully matriculate from the Post Bac program to the DO program”

Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Entrance Requirements - LECOM Education System

If you don't have to retake then I would say go for LECOM because they have federal loans instead of private at VCOM.

We had 75% matriculation this year, approximately 73/98

Reactions: 3 users
We had 75% matriculation this year, approximately 73/98

That's such a good number. I assume a chunk of those people dropped out or got accepted elsewhere before starting second semester right? It feels like anyone who can stick it through can get in.

Do you know what happened to the other 25 percent?

Also! When do you find out what campus you'll be going to?

Thank you!

When you receive your acceptance letter/phone call.

That's such a good number. I assume a chunk of those people dropped out or got accepted elsewhere before starting second semester right? It feels like anyone who can stick it through can get in.

We lost a couple who didn't show up on the first day. Some people got accepted elsewhere, others didn't have GPA or MCAT!

I know the med school is business casual but does this program have a dress code?

I know the med school is business casual but does this program have a dress code?

Did you end up getting in? I know you had a way better GPA than me and you're from the area so I figured you'd have a good shot if you applied early enough.

Did LECOM tell you directly that you do not have to retake the MCAT? This is from their site:

"Applicants who took the MCAT exam after April 2015 and are not using the AIS, must score in the 40th percentile or higher to successfully matriculate from the Post Bac program to the DO program”

Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Entrance Requirements - LECOM Education System

If you don't have to retake then I would say go for LECOM because they have federal loans instead of private at VCOM.

Using AIS sorry about that

Did you end up getting in? I know you had a way better GPA than me and you're from the area so I figured you'd have a good shot if you applied early enough.
Yes I did!! And congratulations to you- I know we were all cheering you on!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted! So excited for this amazing opportunity!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Just got my acceptance too!! Gotta look for a place and getting ready!! So excited.
My application was complete April 6, and my sGPA is 3.01 and cGPA 3.57!
Can't wait to see you everyone!

Reactions: 11 users
Just got my acceptance! I'm 21 from Kansas!

Applied ~ April 6
Major ~ Spanish
sGPA ~ 3.5
cGPA ~ 3.8
MCAT ~ 494

Reactions: 8 users
i got accepted a few weeks so excited

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like a lot of good news today! :)

Also received my acceptance this morning. My stats are 3.52 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, no MCAT, and PA resident. Can't wait to get started!

Reactions: 7 users