This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't heard back yet and I'm getting a little worried to be honest. I sent my application in end of march but my last materials probably didn't reach them until near the deadline (around April 15th). I think the queue for review is based on the order of when applications were complete. Last update I got from them was saying that everything has been processed in my file but not reviewed yet by the committee. That it'll be "going for review soon". With that being said, I did not transfer anything from AACOMAS, I just applied through the regular normal application. Others in this thread have applied relatively late and been complete around beginning of April and got a decision 2 weeks ago. What might be taking my application longer than others is that I have a pretty extensive amount of course replacement/retakes (DIY Post bacc) and it was done at a different institution than my undergraduate degree. So I assume it's taking more effort to process and calculate multiple transcripts for an accurate GPA and a complete file.

They say that all decisions should be made by the end of June. My understanding is that earlier applicants have an advantage in that they have more spots open. They do get the bulk of applicants towards the deadline and also more last minute transfers from the DO application. So I imagine they have a larger pool of applicants to have to process and choose from towards the end. More competitive. I also heard this will be a record year of number of applicants to this program (even heard that the graduate class size might be increasing from the 100? let me know if this is true or false). So it's going to take closer to the 8+ weeks of processing time in regards to their 6-8 weeks estimate.

I don't know for sure but I imagine the class size is probably at LEAST half or 2/3rds full. I think they purposely have kept a portion open to evaluate some of the DO app transfers that come in towards the end. Although previous years threads have indicated people getting some pretty last-minute acceptances in July (even just a week before class starts). I assume those are the waitlisted folks who get in because someone ends up turning down their seat last minute.

I'll be honest. At this point I'm expecting a rejection, and just hoping for a pleasant surprise of an acceptance. I really wish I applied as early as possible. I think I would've been pretty competitive at the beginning. Hindsight is 20/20 huh?

I emailed them a week ago and they told me that my application was not reviewed yet but everyone should hear back from the committee by the end of the month. I doubt there are lot of vacant seats at this point. I also think that they are reviewing lot of applications together and whoever has the best grades would get accepted and others get rejected. I wish i had applied earlier as well. I hope they accept more than 100 students but i have not heard anything about it. In fact, i was reading the FAQs and it said they cap the size at 100.

Does anyone know if all the students in the Facebook group me are the students that are accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed them a week ago and they told me that my application was not reviewed yet but everyone should hear back from the committee by the end of the month. I doubt there are lot of vacant seats at this point. I also think that they are reviewing lot of applications together and whoever has the best grades would get accepted and others get rejected. I wish i had applied earlier as well. I hope they accept more than 100 students but i have not heard anything about it. In fact, i was reading the FAQs and it said they cap the size at 100.

Does anyone know if all the students in the Facebook group me are the students that are accepted?

There are about 103 students in the FB group, currently. I think about 10 or so would be current students & admins who are finishing the program and will start at the DO school. Out of the 90 or so accepted student, I am sure few of these also have other program acceptances, so they will be making a decision soon as well and hence, more seats might open up for VCOM.

So unless they tell you from the program directly that all of the seats are filled, I wouldn't loose hope just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
i did apply very late but my GPA is pretty low. so despite a higher MCAT, i've pretty much lost hope :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow. Have you checked your spam box yet? I feel like if it was complete that early, it should've already been reviewed and a decision made. There are people who applied almost a month later than you and got a decision 2 weeks ago.

The reason why I mention the spam box is because someone in a previous year's thread was wondering why they haven't gotten a response. They never reached out until waaaaay later. Turns out they had been accepted like a month and a half earlier, but the email went to their spam box. I think at that point they were already like 2 weeks pass the deposit deadline.

I am always checking my email haha I emailed Ms. Hewitt last week and got a response later yesterday that it is being reviewed by the admissions committee. Hopefully I will find out soon!

I got a random question for accepted students, are you guys changing your license plates to VA plates?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I got a random question for accepted students, are you guys changing your license plates to VA plates?

I changed my plates and license to VA as soon as I got into town. I wouldn't do it until your plates are expiring in your home state (or else you're paying a tax 2x for no reason). If I wasn't planning on staying in VA/east coast, I wouldn't have changed them.

Fair warning: When you go to the DMV to switch your plates, they won't tell you that you need to take it to a "safety inspection" station and get them to sign off & place a decal on the front windshield. I found out because I asked someone why everyone had the same stickers on their windshield. They don't tell you that at the DMV and you need it to drive with your VA plates! You will also get a "property tax" bill 2x a year for keeping/driving your car in VA. FYI

There are about 103 students in the FB group, currently. I think about 10 or so would be current students & admins who are finishing the program and will start at the DO school. Out of the 90 or so accepted student, I am sure few of these also have other program acceptances, so they will be making a decision soon as well and hence, more seats might open up for VCOM.

So unless they tell you from the program directly that all of the seats are filled, I wouldn't loose hope just yet.

There are 19 class of 17' graduates, 3 admins from the school and 5 first years. Just creeped on that :)

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone using wells fargo as their loan option make sure u choose the right one and not the medcap. I just got an email saying i chosen the wrong one and had to get it changed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard back yet and I'm getting a little worried to be honest. I sent my application in end of march but my last materials probably didn't reach them until near the deadline (around April 15th). I think the queue for review is based on the order of when applications were complete. Last update I got from them was saying that everything has been processed in my file but not reviewed yet by the committee. That it'll be "going for review soon". With that being said, I did not transfer anything from AACOMAS, I just applied through the regular normal application. Others in this thread have applied relatively late and been complete around beginning of April and got a decision 2 weeks ago. What might be taking my application longer than others is that I have a pretty extensive amount of course replacement/retakes (DIY Post bacc) and it was done at a different institution than my undergraduate degree. So I assume it's taking more effort to process and calculate multiple transcripts for an accurate GPA and a complete file.

They say that all decisions should be made by the end of June. My understanding is that earlier applicants have an advantage in that they have more spots open. They do get the bulk of applicants towards the deadline and also more last minute transfers from the DO application. So I imagine they have a larger pool of applicants to have to process and choose from towards the end. More competitive. I also heard this will be a record year of number of applicants to this program (even heard that the graduate class size might be increasing from the 100? let me know if this is true or false). So it's going to take closer to the 8+ weeks of processing time in regards to their 6-8 weeks estimate.

I don't know for sure but I imagine the class size is probably at LEAST half or 2/3rds full. I think they purposely have kept a portion open to evaluate some of the DO app transfers that come in towards the end. Although previous years threads have indicated people getting some pretty last-minute acceptances in July (even just a week before class starts). I assume those are the waitlisted folks who get in because someone ends up turning down their seat last minute.

I'll be honest. At this point I'm expecting a rejection, and just hoping for a pleasant surprise of an acceptance. I really wish I applied as early as possible. I think I would've been pretty competitive at the beginning. Hindsight is 20/20 huh?

I had a TREMENDOUS amount of retakes (think half a degree-worth) and applied on the last day of January. I didn't get my acceptance until mid-April. It really does take them a long time to process retakes on their own. I would still hold out though, I don't feel like it's your fault that it takes them a long time to process.

No because I'm selling my car and living across the street. :D

I've released my acceptance today for Drexel's DPMS program so good luck whoever gets it. Wish you guys a high 90% matriculation rate this year.

Duuuuuuude congrats, that's probably one of the best post baccs there is!

There are 19 class of 17' graduates, 3 admins from the school and 5 first years. Just creeped on that :)

Hey I was wondering, could you elaborate on what the "Research Methods" class is like? I never got to do any research in undergrad due to my GPA and I'm wondering what type of exposure you get to it through this course.

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone using wells fargo as their loan option make sure u choose the right one and not the medcap. I just got an email saying i chosen the wrong one and had to get it changed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
[/QUOTE]

Hey, I got the same email today. Were you able to change the type of loan you have? I called WF and they said to have VCOM contact them.

My Sallie Mae loan was approved today by the school and is now in the disbursement phase.

Hey, I got the same email today. Were you able to change the type of loan you have? I called WF and they said to have VCOM contact them.[/QUOTE]
Im not sure why they told you that. I simply called wells fargo and had to fill out a separate application and that was the end of it

Members don't see this ad :)

That's 27 students who are not in VCOM class of '18. That gives me a little hope of getting accepted this year!

Are there students who still have to take their MCAT in the program?

That's 27 students who are not in VCOM class of '18. That gives me a little hope of getting accepted this year!

I still need to!

I do! I've taken it before but I wanna get higher so I'm scheduled to take it on July 21 in Roanoke!

I do! I've taken it before but I wanna get higher so I'm scheduled to take it on July 21 in Roanoke!

Did you have the 494 or did you not meet that cutoff? I wouldn't want you to take it again and get lower simply because the other people were talking about how they only take the most recent score. :S

Did you have the 494 or did you not meet that cutoff? I wouldn't want you to take it again and get lower simply because the other people were talking about how they only take the most recent score. :S
I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't quite reach the cutoff. I think I was a little immature the last time I took it and didn't prepare correctly. My practice tests this time have been around 497 so hopefully I'll get the cutoff and don't have to worry come time for classes and I can just focus on my GPA.

I'm moving up there second week of July, so if anyone wants to study let me know I'm totally down to study with some people.

I had a TREMENDOUS amount of retakes (think half a degree-worth) and applied on the last day of January. I didn't get my acceptance until mid-April. It really does take them a long time to process retakes on their own. I would still hold out though, I don't feel like it's your fault that it takes them a long time to process.

No because I'm selling my car and living across the street. :D

Duuuuuuude congrats, that's probably one of the best post baccs there is!

Hey I was wondering, could you elaborate on what the "Research Methods" class is like? I never got to do any research in undergrad due to my GPA and I'm wondering what type of exposure you get to it through this course.

The first half of the class is Biostatistics. You learn the design and how research is quantified. The second half you have to create a research project with an elevator pitch, a presentation and a project proposal paper. It was actually fun to see what everyone came up with and the professor is my all time favorite.

I'm attending VCOM's grad program next year and im lookin for a female roommate, message me if you know anyone!!

Hey, I got the same email today. Were you able to change the type of loan you have? I called WF and they said to have VCOM contact them.[/QUOTE]

What do you have to change it to? I did medcap too but now I'm thinking I might go through sallie Mae. This loan thing is stressful and I'm too new to this smh...

My Sallie Mae loan was approved today by the school and is now in the disbursement phase.
Which loan from Sallie Mae did you pick if you don't mind me asking? Idk if the general graduate loan would work since it's not a masters so maybe the health professions graduate loan?

Which loan from Sallie Mae did you pick if you don't mind me asking? Idk if the general graduate loan would work since it's not a masters so maybe the health professions graduate loan?

"Smart Option Student Loan". Allowed for deferment until done with school.

Hey guys looks like I'm going to LECOM. Hopefully one of you can take my spot :) Good luck!

Declining my acceptance as I've already accepted elsewhere. Hope it goes to one of you fine people.

Hey, I got the same email today. Were you able to change the type of loan you have? I called WF and they said to have VCOM contact them.

What do you have to change it to? I did medcap too but now I'm thinking I might go through sallie Mae. This loan thing is stressful and I'm too new to this smh...[/QUOTE]
Just call wells fargo and fill out a graduate student loan application instead

What do you have to change it to? I did medcap too but now I'm thinking I might go through sallie Mae. This loan thing is stressful and I'm too new to this smh...[/QUOTE]

When you call WF, your field of study should be biomedical science and not osteopathic medicine.

What does VCOM expect students to wear, I know it's business casual but does it lean more towards the business aspect? Thanks

What does VCOM expect students to wear, I know it's business casual but does it lean more towards the business aspect? Thanks

No jeans. Polos for men with khakis or slacks. Women, no "t-shirt" material tops and you're allowed to wear khakis, too.

How is everyone getting the insurance coverage? I have health benefits through my employment right now, but I will lose it as soon as I quit my job to move to VA. I looked on the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield website, and the cheapest one that meets the VCOM requirements is $300+/mo?

does anybody have slides from past year --- preferable for physio that they can send me . Do they have learning objectives on them to help guide us. also does anybody know which textbook is needed for the post bac

How is everyone getting the insurance coverage? I have health benefits through my employment right now, but I will lose it as soon as I quit my job to move to VA. I looked on the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield website, and the cheapest one that meets the VCOM requirements is $300+/mo?
Consider United Healthcare, much cheaper.

does anybody have slides from past year --- preferable for physio that they can send me . Do they have learning objectives on them to help guide us. also does anybody know which textbook is needed for the post bac
The current (or now former) students said they will post them on the FB page.

To answer your question: yes the initial slides contain a learning objective as to what the rest of the lecture will cover; concepts and such.

The current (or now former) students said they will post them on the FB page.

To answer your question: yes the initial slides contain a learning objective as to what the rest of the lecture will cover; concepts and such.

okay thanks!! i always find learning objectives very useful.

I'm having the same issue... plus online on VCOM's website it says it needs to be active by July 17th, but the enrollment period won't start till 08/01... so I'm in a bind as well.

I got a 28 back in May 2014 on the old MCAT, thought it was too old and so I registered for an August test. I am strongly considering canceling the August test date since based off of the 4 years statute on the website, my score is valid for VCOM, and meets the minimum benchmark. Is this okay? What would you guys do? I don't want to take it and get a lower score.

I would just contact them and make sure that they will indeed take the old score. I wouldn't retake the test unless you need to.

If we're in the graduate certificate program and we decide that we are only going to apply to the 3 VCOMs (for Fall 2018 matriculation), do we submit our AACOMAS to the VCOMs? Or do we just wait until the first semester is over before submitting? Or do we not even submit through AACOMAS, and there's a separate unique process for the graduate certificate folks?

Also was pleasantly surprised to see that VCOM takes MCAT scores from up to 4 years ago before matriculation year (not 3 years old like most schools). The website says anything after April 2014 will be accepted for the Fall 2018 acceptance.

I got a 28 back in May 2014 on the old MCAT, thought it was too old and so I registered for an August test. I am strongly considering canceling the August test date since based off of the 4 years statute on the website, my score is valid for VCOM, and meets the minimum benchmark. Is this okay? What would you guys do? I don't want to take it and get a lower score.

I'm using my 28 score from September 2014 as well. I'm not retaking that test ever again. :D You could ask but I'm pretty sure we're good to go.