This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anybody have slides yet

Members don't see this ad.

they're uh ....really cutting it close with the last round of admissions. Anyone else still waiting?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody know when the first day of class is and orientation. the calendar online is for the 2016 - 2017 academic year

I would like to know as well. Emailed twice but have not gotten a response. I need to start figuring things out.

Reactions: 1 user
Still waiting! Crickets. Called and emailed a handful of times this week. Got an automated response from one member of administration stating they were out of the office until Monday 7/10. I wonder if everyone else is out as well. I have a few important decisions about my future to make! Hopefully they get back to us ASAP, for those of us who are still waiting.

I called last week and someone told me they'd be getting back to us this week about decisions and uh, it's already Friday...

Reactions: 1 users
Still waiting! Crickets. Called and emailed a handful of times this week. Got an automated response from one member of administration stating they were out of the office until Monday 7/10. I wonder if everyone else is out as well. I have a few important decisions about my future to make! Hopefully they get back to us ASAP, for those of us who are still waiting.

I called last week and someone told me they'd be getting back to us this week about decisions and uh, it's already Friday...
Realistically, its very difficult for someone to go through all the preliminary stuff to get set up for classes to start 07/24 if we get accepted this coming week. I think theyre saving all the rejections to blast out this coming week because obviously rejection requires no work for the person to do. Id be surprised if anyone let alone me gets accepted this late in the game. Because they know that it takes work to get everything settled, find a place and all that in less than 2 weeks.

Hi all I know this is super early, but I received my MCAT score recently and am leaning towards applying to only postbacc programs and withdrawing my application for this cycle 2018-2019. I was wondering what my shot was at this program. Im from Boston, but go to Ohio State. GPA: 3.59, MCAT 497, ~120 hours hospital volunteering, 700 hours cancer genetics research, 60 hours shadowing, CNA certified, Greek life, Scholars, Honors & Scholars ambassador, Many clubs and different community service organizations, organic chemistry TA, some awards, and soon to be on a publication for lab

Hi all I know this is super early, but I received my MCAT score recently and am leaning towards applying to only postbacc programs and withdrawing my application for this cycle 2018-2019. I was wondering what my shot was at this program. Im from Boston, but go to Ohio State. GPA: 3.59, MCAT 497, ~120 hours hospital volunteering, 700 hours cancer genetics research, 60 hours shadowing, CNA certified, Greek life, Scholars, Honors & Scholars ambassador, Many clubs and different community service organizations, organic chemistry TA, some awards, and soon to be on a publication for lab

Your stats are great for the post-bacc, but I'm not really sure it's worth your money if you're deciding to apply ONLY due to your MCAT score. I would think it would be more worthwhile to better prepare for the MCAT and score higher and apply directly, unless you have other reasons of applying to a post-bacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are perfectly fine for application minus that MCAT. Why not just do a retake and apply again?

Hey to those that are still waiting, I spoke to someone in admissions earlier and they said they are having a meeting today to see where are the numbers. She said they may accept a few more people. Those that are still waiting dont give up hope!!!

Last edited:
I applied around April 25 and lot of others students applied around the same time and have already got their acceptance. I wonder what is taking them so long to decide? I am a transfer student from DO, so all my grades and most of the other stuff is calculated as well. I just hope that i get accepted but the chances look slim at this point.

I applied around April 25 and lot of others students applied around the same time and have already got their acceptance. I wonder what is taking them so long to decide? I am a transfer student from DO, so all my grades and most of the other stuff is calculated as well. I just hope that i get accepted but the chances look slim at this point.
isnt that past their deadline for applying?

isnt that past their deadline for applying?
They waive the deadline for DO students having their application transferred, because they won't accept it until you have been denied by the DO Program. Ms. Hewitt offered that to me, but I got my rejection just before the deadline and was able to have it transferred the day before their published deadline.

It's just frustrating because they keep saying they'll be done by x date and then they aren't

Your stats are perfectly fine for application minus that MCAT. Why not just do a retake and apply again?
I studied a ton for it, basically an entire semester, took a prep course and studied straight through the month of may. Not sure if it was nerves or if I'm just not the best standardized test taker. I'm not sure if my score would get much higher to be at a competitive level if taken again

podiatry is the ****.... they make 250,000 more than some physicians i know.

Reactions: 2 users
also do you guys if the september mcat is accceptable incase i want to delay my exam ... just incase i emailed alisa hewitt

also do you guys if the september mcat is accceptable incase i want to delay my exam ... just incase i emailed alisa hewitt

September is acceptable but not encouraged. It's going to be hard to balance studying for the upcoming courses and MCAT at the same time. They will tell you during orientation that GPA is #1 goal for Fall semester. I wouldn't jeopardize my GPA for MCAT re-study. I'd either take it before the program started or in January.

September is acceptable but not encouraged. It's going to be hard to balance studying for the upcoming courses and MCAT at the same time. They will tell you during orientation that GPA is #1 goal for Fall semester. I wouldn't jeopardize my GPA for MCAT re-study. I'd either take it before the program started or in January.

yeah Ms. Hewitt emailed me. We will see how I feel

To all those waiting, I just got an email saying they were full.

i emailed them yesterday asking about my status and i still have not received a reply for Ms. Hewitt neither have i received an email from Post graduate admission committee ?

This sucks!

I know this might be a bit odd, but I have deleted my facebook and social media (time sink/distraction issues in the past). I know that people mentioned an official facebook group. Is there any crucial information that I'm missing by not being on their facebook group? someone mentioned a booklist? Can anyone forward that to me? I just thought they would've relayed important school related info through the VCOM email

Wish that was an option for me, too old and haven't been covered by my parents for a long time lol
I'm lucky there. My brother is in PA school, so my parents said that they would pay for both of our health insurance and car insurance until we turn 26 and they couldn't, or graduated, whichever comes first.:)

I had gotten my own health insurance plan but that was through the government health insurance marketplace way earlier in the year.

Has anyone gotten a book list for this upcoming year? trying to shop around for books and figuring out if there are any other cheaper older editions online.

Bad timing for me, I gave up my seat last week. Good luck everyone starting this year. I may reapply next cycle.

Hello Everyone!!!

I was recently accepted and was wondering if someone could please send me a list of the books, since I do not have Facebook? I would greatly appreciate it! Also, any recommendations on apartments or loan providers? Do we have to use Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo or can we use others?

Thank you!

Hello Everyone!!!

I was recently accepted and was wondering if someone could please send me a list of the books, since I do not have Facebook? I would greatly appreciate it! Also, any recommendations on apartments or loan providers? Do we have to use Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo or can we use others?

Thank you!

As far as I know, they have not sent a book list for this year. Someone posted one on this forum for last year, but things could change. Take a look back and you'll find it.

As far apartments, they were very limited when I was there a couple of weeks ago; basically no 1 BR left. If you go to the housing option on the accepted student page, there is a list of some choices. I was able to get a place from Craigslist. It's in Christiansburg which is about a 10-15 drive to VCOM, but it is very quiet and I love my place. I felt like I got more for my money if the drive is not a problem. It wasn't for me. Another option is to find a roommate, but I'm not sure how you'd find out since you don't have FB. Honestly, I'd recommend that you join FB if only for this group. I think you might miss out on some helpful info without it.

I'm not 100% sure if you can use others for financing, but I don't think you can. I used WF. They were easy to work with. Did everything online and by phone. They have submitted to VCOM and are waiting on them to do their part.

Good luck!

I know this might be a bit odd, but I have deleted my facebook and social media (time sink/distraction issues in the past). I know that people mentioned an official facebook group. Is there any crucial information that I'm missing by not being on their facebook group? someone mentioned a booklist? Can anyone forward that to me? I just thought they would've relayed important school related info through the VCOM email

Hello Everyone!!!

Thank you!

Make a new school only FB account and join the FB group. Don't add any friends from school or your past life. Then FB won't be too distracting!

For anyone wondering about the dress code: See attached file. Thanks to you two ^!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 8.38.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 8.38.44 PM.png
    386.6 KB · Views: 92
Just got the book list today, it came in the VCOM email. Are you guys planning on getting physical textbooks? or e-text versions? I'm kinda torn in between as they both have pros and cons for me.

For anyone wondering about the dress code: See attached file. Thanks to you two ^!

yeah from what I understand it's not so much about what you can wear as much as it is what you can't wear. no t-shirts, no sneakers, no sweatshirts, no jeans, no hats.

I know some places are sticklers for polos being tucked vs untucked. Not sure if VCOM will care or not. I think polos tucked is a cleaner look, but I personally think collared shirts and dress shirts can be worn untucked in a "business casual" setting as long as the hem is straight and the length isn't an issue. for the love of god, if your shirt has a rounded tail that extends fairly long....it's meant to be tucked and tucked only.

For all of you thinking about doing VCOM's graduate certificate program... do it!! I'm currently halfway through the program and just got my acceptance to their DO program starting next fall. I know the 3.6 requirement sounds scary, but it's definitely doable if you start studying hard from day 1. I feel 100x more prepared for med school now, the professors are all really helpful and excited to teach, and the environment of Blacksburg is amazing. One heads up if you do get accepted: Don't get too attached to the VA campus if you're not from VA...they WILL send you to either Spartanburg or Auburn due to the demand for the VA campus.

Feel free to ask me any questions! Good luck everyone!
For all of you thinking about doing VCOM's graduate certificate program... do it!! I'm currently halfway through the program and just got my acceptance to their DO program starting next fall. I know the 3.6 requirement sounds scary, but it's definitely doable if you start studying hard from day 1. I feel 100x more prepared for med school now, the professors are all really helpful and excited to teach, and the environment of Blacksburg is amazing. One heads up if you do get accepted: Don't get too attached to the VA campus if you're not from VA...they WILL send you to either Spartanburg or Auburn due to the demand for the VA campus.

Feel free to ask me any questions! Good luck everyone!
What stat is require to get accepted to this program. GPA and MCAT?

What stat is require to get accepted to this program. GPA and MCAT?

Minimum GPA required for acceptance is 2.9 science and cumulative. MCAT not required for admission, but I believe you're required to have taken it early in the Fall upon matriculation in the program. It's probably best to take the MCAT before the program starts so you can focus on attaining the minimum 3.6 gpa for matriculation to the DO program.

Minimum GPA required for acceptance is 2.9 science and cumulative. MCAT not required for admission, but I believe you're required to have taken it early in the Fall upon matriculation in the program. It's probably best to take the MCAT before the program starts so you can focus on attaining the minimum 3.6 gpa for matriculation to the DO program.
Thanks. Very helpful information.