This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I hope those of you that got in are excited to start soon!

I have a quick question. Is anyone here accepted, or know anyone that is accepted, that isn't from The Appalachian area or "rural/low socioeconomic background/under represented minority?" I am none of those things, but was hoping to still have a shot at this program

The program started 2 weeks ago. There are plenty of people from the west coast area that aren't low-SES or URM. It's something that's part of their mission though and if you were to write essays, you'd need to really sell them on why you'd care about it. I'm not low-SES or URM, but I am from a western state that has lots of healthcare shortages that I was able to discuss in my essays.

Members don't see this ad.

How is the program so far? How difficult?

How many hours would you say you study per day?

The program started 2 weeks ago. There are plenty of people from the west coast area that aren't low-SES or URM. It's something that's part of their mission though and if you were to write essays, you'd need to really sell them on why you'd care about it. I'm not low-SES or URM, but I am from a western state that has lots of healthcare shortages that I was able to discuss in my essays.

How is the program so far? How difficult?

How many hours would you say you study per day?

It depends on how you study and a big emphasis that they start out with is finding your method of doing it. For me, I've already realized that listening to lecture is next to useless since I don't remember any of it, so I just show up and I'm making Anki decks with practice problems from the lectures and finish them when I get home. That's shaved a ton of lost time in the day, because before that I'd be in class for 4-5 hours, then come home and be making my Anki decks (along with studying specific ones) until 9-11 at night. Getting 50-80% of my Anki decks made in class frees up a lot of time that I can use to go running, etc.

We've just had our second exam and it went wayyyy better for me this time (at least I think it did). It's a lot of information but they literally give you a study schedule. I make the decks the day I have the lecture, then specifically study the deck corresponding to the lecture given on the study schedule. If you manage your time properly and get into the groove of things, you should have plenty of free time still. That said, there are a couple weeks where there are Monday/Friday tests and I'm not looking forward to that, but even then it should be manageable if you don't fall behind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the tests and the structure of them, do you foresee getting a 3.6+ doable? That just seems so high to get for medical school content. Though I sopposed you would be super ready when you do get in.

It depends on how you study and a big emphasis that they start out with is finding your method of doing it. For me, I've already realized that listening to lecture is next to useless since I don't remember any of it, so I just show up and I'm making Anki decks with practice problems from the lectures and finish them when I get home. That's shaved a ton of lost time in the day, because before that I'd be in class for 4-5 hours, then come home and be making my Anki decks (along with studying specific ones) until 9-11 at night. Getting 50-80% of my Anki decks made in class frees up a lot of time that I can use to go running, etc.

We've just had our second exam and it went wayyyy better for me this time (at least I think it did). It's a lot of information but they literally give you a study schedule. I make the decks the day I have the lecture, then specifically study the deck corresponding to the lecture given on the study schedule. If you manage your time properly and get into the groove of things, you should have plenty of free time still. That said, there are a couple weeks where there are Monday/Friday tests and I'm not looking forward to that, but even then it should be manageable if you don't fall behind.

Based on the tests and the structure of them, do you foresee getting a 3.6+ doable? That just seems so high to get for medical school content. Though I sopposed you would be super ready when you do get in.

Getting over an 85 in a class is a B+ and counts as a 3.5 toward your GPA. :)

A 85 is a B+ and counts as a 3.5? That grading scale tho.

:) I think that's what makes it so doable. Don't let that fool you into thinking you can mess around though. They've said these are basically equivalent courses to med students, but we're just taking less of them. I'm not sure to what extent I believe that, but I've definitely learned a ton so far. They also said the people that go through this class usually end up being their best med students with one matching neurosurgery last year. Crazy stuff.

How are classes so far? Do you all have time on the weekends for yourself at all?

How are classes so far? Do you all have time on the weekends for yourself at all?

Oh my god yes...tons of free time. It's still early and the coursework hasn't ramped up that much, but the right study techniques leave me with more free time than undergrad considering I don't have to work anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
I encourage anyone in the Post-bacc right now to continue giving feedback about the program! I'm extremely interested, and it's really helpful to those of us thinking about applying in the future. :)

I encourage anyone in the Post-bacc right now to continue giving feedback about the program! I'm extremely interested, and it's really helpful to those of us thinking about applying in the future. :)

Is there specific info you needed? Most stuff has been discussed.

Is there specific info you needed? Most stuff has been discussed.

Well I think it'd be nice to hear if opinions change at all and if things are still manageable as the program progresses and particularly as course load and material increase in difficulty and volume. Overall, do you think it's worth the money? How is the faculty? It would also be nice to here from you all after this Fall semester when the first round of guaranteed admissions goes through. I'd like to hear about that process if people are willing to share.

Well I think it'd be nice to hear if opinions change at all and if things are still manageable as the program progresses and particularly as course load and material increase in difficulty and volume. Overall, do you think it's worth the money? How is the faculty? It would also be nice to here from you all after this Fall semester when the first round of guaranteed admissions goes through. I'd like to hear about that process if people are willing to share.

• Things still seem manageable but no class should be underestimated.
  • Definitely worth the money. Best DO post bacc.
  • All faculty are nice and care about us.
  • Overall really good program. Not much different from last year I assume.
Feel free to hit us up again closer to that time to see if our opinions changed, but I'm guessing it's going to turn out just like last year if not better.

Members don't see this ad :)
  • Things still seem manageable but no class should be underestimated.
  • Definitely worth the money. Best DO post bacc.
  • All faculty are nice and care about us.
  • Overall really good program. Not much different from last year I assume.
Feel free to hit us up again closer to that time to see if our opinions changed, but I'm guessing it's going to turn out just like last year if not better.
what stat needed to be competitive for this program and do they have grade replacement r calculate all attempt?

what stat needed to be competitive for this program and do they have grade replacement r calculate all attempt?

The competitive stats are listed on the website. From what I've understood, this was the last year they were doing grade replacement for the post-bacc, but I would email to confirm.

Oh my god yes...tons of free time. It's still early and the coursework hasn't ramped up that much, but the right study techniques leave me with more free time than undergrad considering I don't have to work anymore.

How many hours a day do you study? Do you all form study groups? And do you use anki decks? I hear a lot of people talk good about them but I don't know what they are

The competitive stats are listed on the website. From what I've understood, this was the last year they were doing grade replacement for the post-bacc, but I would email to confirm.
Hey had a question if I don't mind me asking about the program. If you have a decent gap but poor mcat (but is till in the benchmark to need the 3.6 gpa so 495+) do you think somebody could be accepted with those stats to this program or is the bad mcat really a red flag for them/do you have to have over a 500 to get in? Also If u do keep the 3.6 gpa and get accepted but have the bad mcat do they make you retake it prior to starting? Last thing, if u meet the first benchmark and get the acceptance letter do you have to maintain the 3.6 for the rest of the time in the program or how does that work if u get accepted before the amp finishes? Thanks a ton really is appreciated

How many hours a day do you study? Do you all form study groups? And do you use anki decks? I hear a lot of people talk good about them but I don't know what they are

The first bit of the program is you flopping around figuring out your best learning style. The first week I would go to lecture until noon, then make notecards until 7-10 pm about the lectures I was in and study the specific one I needed to for the upcoming test (they give you a study schedule). This was not sustainable at all. The second week I decided to change my method and go to class (it's mandatory) but ignore my lecturer and make my Anki decks while I'm in class, then go home and wrap up the decks I didn't finish making and study the deck I needed to for the upcoming exam. I saved literally hours every day doing this and went from a B on the first test to an A on the second.

Not everyone uses study groups. I don't, but I might for Anatomy since I just got my ass kicked by it. Some people use it heavily. If you like it, it's definitely an option and they hammer it into you that you should do it. I still don't think it's necessary because I tend to get distracted in groups, but I might try it again.

Anki is just an intelligent flashcard program. It's free and you can download it to play around.

Hey had a question if I don't mind me asking about the program. If you have a decent gap but poor mcat (but is till in the benchmark to need the 3.6 gpa so 495+) do you think somebody could be accepted with those stats to this program or is the bad mcat really a red flag for them/do you have to have over a 500 to get in? Also If u do keep the 3.6 gpa and get accepted but have the bad mcat do they make you retake it prior to starting? Last thing, if u meet the first benchmark and get the acceptance letter do you have to maintain the 3.6 for the rest of the time in the program or how does that work if u get accepted before the amp finishes? Thanks a ton really is appreciated

You don't need to retake the MCAT for this. They don't use it for admission (unless it benefits you I'd assume) because you could retake it during the program. If you have one over the 494 mark, I wouldn't retake it.

You have to maintain a 3.5 in the second semester, but have your acceptance in the Fall and can start planning where you're going early.

Reactions: 1 user
The first bit of the program is you flopping around figuring out your best learning style. The first week I would go to lecture until noon, then make notecards until 7-10 pm about the lectures I was in and study the specific one I needed to for the upcoming test (they give you a study schedule). This was not sustainable at all. The second week I decided to change my method and go to class (it's mandatory) but ignore my lecturer and make my Anki decks while I'm in class, then go home and wrap up the decks I didn't finish making and study the deck I needed to for the upcoming exam. I saved literally hours every day doing this and went from a B on the first test to an A on the second.

Not everyone uses study groups. I don't, but I might for Anatomy since I just got my ass kicked by it. Some people use it heavily. If you like it, it's definitely an option and they hammer it into you that you should do it. I still don't think it's necessary because I tend to get distracted in groups, but I might try it again.

Anki is just an intelligent flashcard program. It's free and you can download it to play around.

You don't need to retake the MCAT for this. They don't use it for admission (unless it benefits you I'd assume) because you could retake it during the program. If you have one over the 494 mark, I wouldn't retake it.

You have to maintain a 3.5 in the second semester, but have your acceptance in the Fall and can start planning where you're going early.
thanks do you mind sharing what the official grading scale is because i saw your post about the 85 being a 3.5 and wanted to know how the rest of the scaling looked then

thanks do you mind sharing what the official grading scale is because i saw your post about the 85 being a 3.5 and wanted to know how the rest of the scaling looked then

A 4, B+ 3.5, B 3, C+ 2.5, C 2

I can't believe a 85% is a 3.5 GPA. At my old undergrad, that was a 3.0

I can't believe a 85% is a 3.5 GPA. At my old undergrad, that was a 3.0

My UG was 3.3 I think? Either way it's huge to be at a 3.5. A classmate told me he did the math and you could get a B+ in every class and an A in any two classes to meet the 3.6. Not that you shouldn't aim for higher ofc.

The only downside to this grading system is if someone gets Bs. Then they get the short end of the stick

My UG was 3.3 I think? Either way it's huge to be at a 3.5. A classmate told me he did the math and you could get a B+ in every class and an A in any two classes to meet the 3.6. Not that you shouldn't aim for higher ofc.

In the context of trying to get the 3.6.

If you are a B student, it would be difficult.

Ah I see. Nobody in this program should try to coast on Bs though. It's definitely possible to do better. The fear of having your entire future on the line can do wonders for motivation.

Last edited:
Hi sorry for bumping this old thread up! I have some questions about the application process since it will be opening up in October! The application says to have everything ready so you can submit it just one time since nothing saves. What kind of questions does the application ask for aside from Extra Curricular Activities and Clinical Hours? Are there any essays/short response questions involved? Would it look better for me to submit my MCAT even thought it's not required? I was planning on taking it in Jan and then sending in my app once it comes out. Thanks!!

Hi sorry for bumping this old thread up! I have some questions about the application process since it will be opening up in October! The application says to have everything ready so you can submit it just one time since nothing saves. What kind of questions does the application ask for aside from Extra Curricular Activities and Clinical Hours? Are there any essays/short response questions involved? Would it look better for me to submit my MCAT even thought it's not required? I was planning on taking it in Jan and then sending in my app once it comes out. Thanks!!

It's the same questions they'd ask for AACOMAS. Your extracurriculars, GPA, etc. without having to fill out all of the coursework.

There were two essays to fill out. They haven't changed in a while and you can probably find them. If you can't, lmk.

I would absolutely not wait to apply. Earlier = better because they're getting slammed with applications and it's first-come first-serve. You do not need an MCAT score to get into the program.

Last edited:
I have a quick question from everyone who got accepted. Do they round up our gpa's for instance if we have a 2.87 can it be rounded up to be a 2.9? I think my gpa might be able to get to 2.9 by the end of the year but still not sure if it is okay to apply as my science is not the required 2.9 right now ? any help would be appreciated.

I have a quick question from everyone who got accepted. Do they round up our gpa's for instance if we have a 2.87 can it be rounded up to be a 2.9? I think my gpa might be able to get to 2.9 by the end of the year but still not sure if it is okay to apply as my science is not the required 2.9 right now ? any help would be appreciated.

I don't think they'll round. You should absolutely push yourself and get to the 2.9 cutoff. You should be able to fix a 0.03 discrepancy right? You could apply with your transcripts showing classes in program, but you're in the middle of a Fall semester right? By the end of Spring semester, you're cutting it pretty late. Can you get good grades this term?

They do not round. I was 0.02 or so off, and they asked for me to wait for my winter quarter grades

Thanks for the reply guys! I think even with the fall grades in I am cutting short! Might try my best and if not idk what to do as I was really really counting on this post bac! Anyways thanks a lot!

Thanks for the reply guys! I think even with the fall grades in I am cutting short! Might try my best and if not idk what to do as I was really really counting on this post bac! Anyways thanks a lot!

Im sure you have plenty of tests left. Cut the other **** out of your life to make school your highest priority so you can get in. This program is worth the work. I’ve learned so much so fast here.

Hey guys,

I have a 3.0 cgpa ad 3.41 scgpa. I don't take my MCAT till January. Would you guys advise applying now or waiting until I have an MCAT score?

hey when does the application for this open cause the website originally said early october but now it says November 1st. any ideas?

Hey guys,

I have a 3.0 cgpa ad 3.41 scgpa. I don't take my MCAT till January. Would you guys advise applying now or waiting until I have an MCAT score?

MCAT isn't needed.

hey when does the application for this open cause the website originally said early october but now it says November 1st. any ideas?

November 1st.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey you guys.... did anyone ever come across the essay questions? Also, with the transcripts... are they sent in like aacomas? So no sending early, and wait for a cover page?

Hey you guys.... did anyone ever come across the essay questions? Also, with the transcripts... are they sent in like aacomas? So no sending early, and wait for a cover page?

I couldn't find them for some reason, but I'm pretty sure there were two essays that were something like:

1) Why are you interested in this program specifically

2) What are 5 traits/features that you will bring to VCOM

You will release the transcript directly to the school for the post bacc. I'm not sure what you're referring to for a cover page.

I couldn't find them for some reason, but I'm pretty sure there were two essays that were something like:

1) Why are you interested in this program specifically

2) What are 5 traits/features that you will bring to VCOM

You will release the transcript directly to the school for the post bacc. I'm not sure what you're referring to for a cover page.
As far as cover page, when I applied to the DO program I had to take a printed out cover page that AACOMAS provided to the registrar with me when I went to release my transcripts. So for the post bacc I would just have them sealed and mailed directly to the school? Also was there a word or character limit on the essays?

As far as cover page, when I applied to the DO program I had to take a printed out cover page that AACOMAS provided to the registrar with me when I went to release my transcripts. So for the post bacc I would just have them sealed and mailed directly to the school? Also was there a word or character limit on the essays?

Oh...most schools can send an official transcript electronically by having you fill out a form on their website. I just put in the info, paid the money, and it was on its way.

I think it was like 500 words each. Yes, it's that short. There is also an optional personal statement that you can include. I didn't include one because I didn't feel it would make my application any better and I still got in, so it is really optional. It would be useful if you have a specific topic you want to talk about that the other two questions didn't cover.

Hi Guys I have a question......let's say I get into the program and I complete all the requirements to matriculate into their DO Program. Will I repeat the same courses again when I actually get into their DO program or will I get a pass because I already completed some of the classes?

Hi Guys I have a question......let's say I get into the program and I complete all the requirements to matriculate into their DO Program. Will I repeat the same courses again when I actually get into their DO program or will I get a pass because I already completed some of the classes?

I answered in PM but they're all repeated.

Hello. Can you PM me,what you told them. That's a good question. Also, would you suggest taking a tour before applying?

Oh I just PMd the exact same thing I said here.

No there's no reason to take a tour of the school.

hey quick question, is the smp program offered at all three of the campuses?

I am just receiving word from Ms. Alisa that the program is becoming a Masters of Arts in Biomedical Science with Bluefield college. I have no other information and have no idea if the programs are even linked. Just an FYI.