2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Soo snowstorm tomorrow in the north east. Just an FYI for anyone coming up here for interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll also be at UW on Friday (Child Track)! Regarding the attire, in the email they sent me, it said, "Dress is business casual. Seattle is a rather relaxed city and we know you are traveling. It will be a long day so wear things that are comfortable. If it should happen that your luggage goes one way and you go another, please do not stress about it. Come as you are and just explain the situation." I interpret that as meaning, "Do not wear a suit, wear something like slacks and a sweater/button-down." I also DEEPLY appreciate their consideration in that regard! As a result, I do not plan to wear a suit for that interview.

Just a FYI about the UW Open House - plenty of people wore suits last year (I did).

Anyone interviewing at the Saint Louis VA on Friday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Ooh Little Fires Everwhere was just amazing. I read that and Everything I Never (ever?) Told You back to back. I just finished reading a ton of books and got Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me as a good interview flights book since I've enjoyed it so much in the past..... and then I read on a flight home from vacation -___-

On a more relevant topic, these match emails are KILLING me each time I see them, but the one sent out this morning had some statistics about this year's match. Some of it was encouraging (at least initially - they had to temper my hope with more facts! :laugh:).

But this really sounds great: "There are currently 239 more available positions than registered applicants (compared to a shortage of 1,148 positions only six years ago). Furthermore, based on previous experience, we know that over 200 students withdrew from the Match each year after registering."

Good luck to all of us as the interview season begins! I will be out in the snowy midwest tomorrow and am NOT looking forward to it!
Wasn’t it great? Did you like Everything I Never Told You, too? I LOVE both of Mindy’s books! Big surprise, I’m sure haha. Why Not Me is also really good, if you haven’t read that one! I’m reading Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie right now, and I’m just in love with the prose.

As for Greg’s emails, more than anything I question the ungodly hour the emails are sent. Does Greg sleep? I’m worried about him.

Good luck tomorrow! Hoping everyone has smooth(ish - I feel like there’s no such thing as “smooth” travel anymore) travel and everyone manages to stay warm and dryish in the midst of this arctic hellscape.

Edit: also, hoping everyone stays HEALTHY over the next several weeks! Sanitize those tray tables and wash those hands, y’all, ain’t nobody got time for the flu!

Anybody else still waiting to hear a schedule from Tulane for this Monday?

Edit: received

Last edited:
As someone who checked the previous year's threads, I think it would be nice if the front page was updated beyond Dec 6th. Thoughts on how we can make this happen?

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone traveling for interviews over the next few days! Check the weather and bundle up!!!

Ok confession time. I'm finding the whole interviewing process incredibly depressing even though I have an interview invite/rejection ratio that I'm totally grateful to have. For me, the sadness has to do with change/moving on and nothing to do with where I'm interviewing/who rejected me. I'm actually sitting in bed right now trying not to sob and putting off getting my act together to go to the airport this afternoon for the next round. And as a psychology student I wish I had a better handle on what the eff is going on for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok confession time. I'm finding the whole interviewing process incredibly depressing even though I have an interview invite/rejection ratio that I'm totally grateful to have. For me, the sadness has to do with change/moving on and nothing to do with where I'm interviewing/who rejected me. I'm actually sitting in bed right now trying not to sob and putting off getting my act together to go to the airport this afternoon for the next round. And as a psychology student I wish I had a better handle on what the eff is going on for me.

:( Sorry . Feel free to pm if you’d like to chat, I’m available later in the evening PST

Thank you for sharing your experience. For me, I would let myself sob. Acknowledge all of the feelings of sadness and stress, of loss and fear and so forth. Tears are not a sign of weakness. Lots of self compassion! And of course PM me if you need to talk.

Reactions: 2 users

I get it; this is an extremely stressful and emotional time! I think most of us have probably experienced the full range of emotions over the past few months and they definitely don't always make sense!

:( Sorry . Feel free to pm if you’d like to chat, I’m available later in the evening PST

Thank you for sharing your experience. For me, I would let myself sob. Acknowledge all of the feelings of sadness and stress, of loss and fear and so forth. Tears are not a sign of weakness. Lots of self compassion! And of course PM me if you need to talk.

I get it; this is an extremely stressful and emotional time! I think most of us have probably experienced the full range of emotions over the past few months and they definitely don't always make sense!

Thank you all for these supportive responses!! I'm gonna go cry in the shower now and then finish packing.

Hi All =] I only recently made an account, but have been following since the beginning and you all have def been keeping me sane! I have a question about Centerstone Consortium. I recently received an email from their program assistant asking to email back with interview date preferences soon if we haven't done so yet. I was confused, since I hadn't even received an email saying that I got an interview there in the first place. I emailed back asking for clarification and got a reply that said, "I am still waiting to hear back from the consortium regarding your application. I will keep you posted." Did anyone else apply there? If so, did this happen to you as well? Sounds like I either got an interview and they forgot to tell me, or I didn't get one and they just put my email in there by accident? Halp!

Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed, also happy to chat. I've been feeling pretty sad about leaving my cohort, especially people I've only gotten really close to in the last year. Especially to go somewhere for only a year and then pick up again. I don't know what specifically has been hard for you, but you're definitely not alone.

Anyone have suggestions for a day of touristing in Hartford? Bonus points if t includes a place to work on dissertation

Totally normal reaction to the stresses and transitions of this time- and sleep deprivation/schedule changes of travel. Hang in there.

Every time someone coughs on this plane, I die a little bit inside. :doctor::doctor::doctor:
YwICv8b.gif
YwICv8b

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone have suggestions for a day of touristing in Hartford? Bonus points if t includes a place to work on dissertation

I'd head to New Haven or Middletown if possible. Nice university campuses there and not terribly far away. Just flash your university ID and tell them you're a visiting grad student.

Totally normal reaction to the stresses and transitions of this time- and sleep deprivation/schedule changes of travel. Hang in there.

I agree. It's a tough cycle, especially to do all of this for a position that very well may only be a year long (not to make this more depressing...). Hang in there and good luck!

Was supposed to interview at CHA tomorrow. They cancelled on me due to the weather, and now its looking like Im not going to be able to reschedule for in-person. Although their email says that interviewing remotely won't impact their ranking, I cant say I really believe it, because I feel like Ill be at a major disadvantage compared to people who get to be seen in person. In addition, I've been contacted by two different staff trying to reschedule without being clear on what dates are possible. Feeling really bummed to have lost this site because mother nature decided to have a **** fit.

I've been meaning to ask someone, but did you interpret UW's "business professional" attire specification as standard interview wear (i.e., formal suit) or more casual?

In terms of playing tourist, definitely check out Pike's Place Market, it's a MUST if you're in Seattle. The original Starbucks is down there and a homemade cheese place that is quite popular. It's also right at the waterfront so you get a view of both the mountains and the city center. The whole downtown area is wonderful - lots of shops, great coffee, and craft beers. You could spend hours down there (Pikes Place is downtown, btw.). The Space Needle is relatively close, but I personally think it's a bit overrated. That might be because I've gone twice, so the first time was likely a much more enjoyable experience! If you're just here for a day, exploring downtown is likely your best bet.

I'm not actually from the area, but fell in love with Seattle during my first visit at a young age and have been back a number of times. I also have family out here. I'm staying downtown so feel free to private message me for more info and I hope to run into you during interviews (I'm adult track!)

Thank you!! This is so helpful! I will definitely go to Pike Place Market and the original Starbucks tomorrow. I have a friend in the area who works near the Space Needle who I'm meeting for lunch tomorrow, so maybe I'll just glance at it on my way to meet them :)

As for the "business casual," I am planning on going little more casual. I am wearing a non-traditional, more "fun" blazer (it has bell sleeves and is tweed), with black pants and black booties. I have four other interviews while I'm out West before I have a break and can make it to a dry cleaner, so I'm reserving my more "formal" outfits for those. I usually spill some sort of food or drink on myself during the day, so I can't count on myself to re-wear a suit :p

I will send you a message now! :)

Was supposed to interview at CHA tomorrow. They cancelled on me due to the weather, and now its looking like Im not going to be able to reschedule for in-person. Although their email says that interviewing remotely won't impact their ranking, I cant say I really believe it, because I feel like Ill be at a major disadvantage compared to people who get to be seen in person. In addition, I've been contacted by two different staff trying to reschedule without being clear on what dates are possible. Feeling really bummed to have lost this site because mother nature decided to have a **** fit.

Ugh the worst! I'm praying my interview at JMC doesn't need to be rescheduled due to the predicted blizzard tomorrow. I would seriously go in the blizzard to avoid the rescheduling nightmare!!

I feel you. This whole process for me has evoked intense anxiety that I havent experienced in quite some time. And like you, it has nothing to do with my interview/rejection ratio, but more to do with being out of my routine, traveling nonstop, and of course, difficulty coping with big life changes to come. I think it is very typical for this process to bring up a range of painful emotions and, like others have recommended, I do think the best thing to do is open yourself up to the emotion and ride the wave. Over these next couple of weeks I expect a whole hell of a lot more waves to come and all we can do is hope that these waves are followed by moments of peace and maybe even a little clarity. You'll be in my thoughts. We got this, ya'll!

Anyone else in the same boat of ALREADY having a cold going into interviews, before this whole ordeal even really starts in earnest? And just in time to have a red nose and waxy face for interviews. I hope not for your sake, but also crave commiseration...

Anyone else in the same boat of ALREADY having a cold going into interviews, before this whole ordeal even really starts in earnest? And just in time to have a red nose and waxy face for interviews. I hope not for your sake, but also crave commiseration...

Been sick for three weeks.. hoping that it gets me sympathy points :dead:

I'd head to New Haven or Middletown if possible. Nice university campuses there and not terribly far away. Just flash your university ID and tell them you're a visiting grad student.
You were smart to get there early! My flight for today has been cancelled twice already and I'm freaking out about navigating weather/transport from BDL to New Haven late tonight if the third flight does proceed..

Good luck to all interviewing tomorrow and stay warm!

You were smart to get there early! My flight for today has been cancelled twice already and I'm freaking out about navigating weather/transport from BDL to New Haven late tonight if the third flight does proceed..

Good luck to all interviewing tomorrow and stay warm!

Oh no good luck! I’m actually there next week was just thinking in advance- hopefully we will both make it ok

Ugh the worst! I'm praying my interview at JMC doesn't need to be rescheduled due to the predicted blizzard tomorrow. I would seriously go in the blizzard to avoid the rescheduling nightmare!!

Hope you get there and back safe!

Last edited:
Has anyone had any interview cancellations today or tomorrow due to New England blizzard?

Thoughts on wearing a suit to a place that has requested business casual attire? The request was framed as an attempt to reduce stress level, but the shirt I wear beneath my suit is not one I would be comfortable in without a jacket over it and it's winter FFS, just let me wear the same damned suit with jacket I'm wearing everywhere else. Don't make me go shopping on top of everything else I've got going on. :dead:

Currently on third interview trip and third horrific cold/flu. :thumbdown:
I have a toddler in daycare, so between her daily life and my flights and hotel stays, we're all kinds of hosed.

Been sick for three weeks.. hoping that it gets me sympathy points :dead:
I've been just drugging myself up enough to pretend I'm not sick and subtly going to the bathroom to pop more DayQuil, blow my nose, snort nosespray, etc.. every chance I get. I don't want to risk an interviewer being aggravated at me thoughtlessly exposing them to my germs. Mild Machiavellian-esque tendencies are understandable during this process, right?:help:

Reactions: 3 users
Quick question for anyone who has interviewed or will be interviewing at Mailman Child Development Center in Miami. Did you receive an email with the schedule for the open house? I hadn't received anything as of yesterday (interviewing on Tuesday 1/9), so I sent an email and was sent the address and time of the open house. I'm fine with that information because that's basically all I need but just thought it was strange to not get a schedule.

Thoughts on wearing a suit to a place that has requested business casual attire? The request was framed as an attempt to reduce stress level, but the shirt I wear beneath my suit is not one I would be comfortable in without a jacket over it and it's winter FFS, just let me wear the same damned suit with jacket I'm wearing everywhere else. Don't make me go shopping on top of everything else I've got going on. :dead:

Wait, will you be up at UW with me tomorrow?! We can be gross and sick together! Also, re: wearing a suit, I think you can still wear a suit. I commented about how I'm not going to wear a full suit to UW, and someone from last year said that there were people who wore suits as well as non-suits last year. I would guess, whether you're there or elsewhere, it'll be a mix.

Currently on third interview trip and third horrific cold/flu. :thumbdown:
I have a toddler in daycare, so between her daily life and my flights and hotel stays, we're all kinds of hosed.

I've been just drugging myself up enough to pretend I'm not sick and subtly going to the bathroom to pop more DayQuil, blow my nose, snort nosespray, etc.. every chance I get. I don't want to risk an interviewer being aggravated at me thoughtlessly exposing them to my germs. Mild Machiavellian-esque tendencies are understandable during this process, right?:help:

Planning to do exactly that, except when I have a cold it's like a faucet is on no matter how much I drug myself. I today discovered that Dayquil/Nyquil have a version called "Severe" cold and flu.

Quick question for anyone who has interviewed or will be interviewing at Mailman Child Development Center in Miami. Did you receive an email with the schedule for the open house? I hadn't received anything as of yesterday (interviewing on Tuesday 1/9), so I sent an email and was sent the address and time of the open house. I'm fine with that information because that's basically all I need but just thought it was strange to not get a schedule.

Someone in my graduate program interviewed there last year and did not get their individual schedule until they arrived on site. I am interviewing there on 1/12 and haven't heard/received anything. They did send an overview of what the day would look like the DAY before the interview. However, emailing may prompt them to send something out? I am preparing to meet with the faculty they asked us to send them.

Someone in my graduate program interviewed there last year and did not get their individual schedule until they arrived on site. I am interviewing there on 1/12 and haven't heard/received anything. They did send an overview of what the day would look like the DAY before the interview. However, emailing may prompt them to send something out? I am preparing to meet with the faculty they asked us to send them.

Great, thank you so much! This eases my anxiety and I'm glad to hear that this seems to be the norm for the site. Best of luck to you at your interview! I know I am looking forward to getting a break from all this cold weather and enjoying some warmth in Miami.

#forumfam has been far too quiet lately. :poke:

Are y'all trying to give me abandonment issues? :shrug:

Do you love your other families more? :bullcrap::p
I'm super late to this reply party, but I just wanted to wave and say hello!
8b550540298563483ec48063a476561f.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Yes and it's awful! I've hoping that I can baby my nose so that's not red and chapped for the rest of my interviews.

Hope you get there and back safe!

Travel safe it's gross out there. Yesterday I drove three hours back from an interview and the roads were not ideal. Travel safe, your life is more important than having to reschedule.

Hey all, I hope everyone is doing ok while still battling colds/bad weather/general exhaustion at this point! I know I just want a nap someplace warm right about now. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on emailing current interns when given a list from a training director. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to send a mass "Hello everyone, who is willing to speak with me?" kind of email or pick someone specific and then email only them to get their perspective. Have others done one or the other and had particular success? Thank you all!!

Is anyone going to be in LA on Tuesday and/or Wednesday? I want to explore (e.g., hiking, eating) and wouldn't mind going with a buddy!

Who is ready to pass out and hasnt even hit the midway point of interviews?! :inpain: I am taking the night off and watching tv!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey all, I hope everyone is doing ok while still battling colds/bad weather/general exhaustion at this point! I know I just want a nap someplace warm right about now. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on emailing current interns when given a list from a training director. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to send a mass "Hello everyone, who is willing to speak with me?" kind of email or pick someone specific and then email only them to get their perspective. Have others done one or the other and had particular success? Thank you all!!

I’ve done a mass email to them saying hey if anyone is open to sharing experiences, I would really appreciate hearing from you but I respect you also have a lot on your plates as well.

Most interns have been great and really
Open to speaking. I look to interns MOST for how happy they are as I think about potential rankings.

Who is ready to pass out and hasnt even hit the midway point of interviews?! :inpain: I am taking the night off and watching tv!
I nearly doubled the price of my last hotel room with pay-per-view movies. :corny: Oops. :help:

Who else has a crazy week of interviews next week??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone! Hope y’all are staying sane!! I’m interested in hearing more about former intern experiences at the following sites:

Sarah Reed
Milton Hershey School
JCCA
Boystown
Cypress

Also, what do people think about APPIC, non-APA sites (e.g., devereux Massachusetts, new connections academy)?

I appreciate all insight and feedback!!

Sending positive vibes.

Currently on a break at UW, and I KNOW other #forumfam are here, so I’m just peering around trying to imagine who I might know. Unsuccessfully, but it’s a fun game.

When given a long list of people to choose from, I always contacted those people who had career goals similar to mine or were in a specific track I was more curious about. But there is nothing wrong with an everyone email blast, especially if it's just a handful of people. The most responsive people will respond! :)

I look to interns MOST for how happy they are as I think about potential rankings.

Yes!!! I always asked how many hours they worked, how they balanced different aspects of internship, and all that jazz. Intern satisfaction was a huge part of my ranking process. For the most part people were happy, but there were a few that nervously laughed when asked about workload and were obviously stressed out...that played a role in my decisions.

Open letter to Greg,
I wouldn't hate it if you sent out a notice forbidding applicants from sending thank you notes and sites from considering them in ranking decisions.
Thanks,
Hawkeye

Reactions: 6 users
Currently on a break at UW, and I KNOW other #forumfam are here, so I’m just peering around trying to imagine who I might know. Unsuccessfully, but it’s a fun game.

What track? I was trying to seek someone out from the forum fam but did not succeed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app