Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by ForTheLoveOfPsych, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

Actually, I did when one site sent me an email with intern’s emails. I thanked them for interviewing me and the email...

Neurogoals and geranium89 like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. perhaps11

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Adult!

4. affectiveH3art

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Maybe that’s why! I was Bmed/Neuro and didn’t know they were going to split us up. How did you folks like it? I loved everyone and the residents were awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

5. ReallyFutureDrLove

Pre-Psychology
    Oh no!!! Ha, thankfully I have decent seasons loaded on my Ipad for all my flights the next few days!

6. PsyGal192

Same boat as you! I applied after they extended their deadline because they got accredited and I called after receiving that email to which the lady said the same thing. I emailed the TD as well but he did not reply. I feel like this is a little too late in the game for them to be extending notifications like this...

assessmentnerd5678 likes this.
  7. PsyGal192

I’m interested!

8. perhaps11

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Same here!

9. affectiveH3art

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Errr in what way? Lol did you like the site?

10. strangeronatrain

Can anyone tell me if I should have gotten an itinerary for UAB interview? Going the 8th.

11. CatsFan

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I'm going the 8th as well and haven't gotten one yet.

12. slaney

Psychology Student
    Been in the midst of interviews and traveling craziness and I've missed my #forumfam!! Hope everyone is managing to stay warm (a difficult feat right now, for sure), healthy (also difficult), and sane, while also enjoying the interviews (as much as one can)! Wishing amazing things for each and every one of you!!:biglove::biglove::biglove::clap::clap::clap:

13. Internship_Journey

I wish that interviews weren't in the middle of blizzard/cold/flu season. Sigh.

14. slaney

Psychology Student
    PREACH to the flu bit in particular, as this is my constant fear. I've been Cloroxing EVERYTHING and washing my hands like crazy. On flights, I keep my gloves on until I'm seated and then wipe down everything - tray table, seat-belt, armrest, the seat-back pocket, anything I might touch. Same for hotels - as soon as I get in, I wipe down nearly every surface and then count to 30 while I wash my hands. It's admittedly hard on my hands and you do get some looks in public but I've got no effin chill about getting sick. Stay well, y'all!!

15. slaney

Psychology Student
    Unrelated, but has anyone ever flown into Hartford, CT and then gotten to New Haven and if so, what did you do? There seem to be some shuttle-type services that you can book online (CT Limo?)...has anyone done this?

16. OpalinePhoenix

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Good luck if you're traveling via JFK this week! From what I've been reading it's a mess there.

Hawkeye11 likes this.
  17. Hawkeye11

18. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

OpalinePhoenix and slaney like this.
  19. slaney

Psychology Student
    Who said it was some voodoo magic goodness?! Who said it?! This makes me oddly proud hahaha :p:happy:

ToneTone likes this.
  20. FreudianSlipper

5+ Year Member

FYI training directors, if your NYC internship paid a stipend that was livable, you might not have to extend your deadline in January in order to get applicants...

21. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

Super disappointed it wasn’t APA accredited...I think the other Mt. Sinai sites received plenty of applicants (got rejected myself).

FreudianSlipper likes this.
  22. FreudianSlipper

5+ Year Member

they also pay $10k more...

23. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    This was years ago, but when I had to travel the Northeast for several interviews between places like Hanover and New Haven, the Amtrak services were pretty cheap and easy to navigate. Also, I believe greyhound also has a route between Hartford and
    New Haven.

slaney likes this.
  24. WisNeuro

Psychologist
    I can guarantee that most of the NYC sites are not hurting for applicants. Sites in desirable locations get far more applicants than reputation would dictate.

25. projessorx

I have a similar commute issue this week, and I just rented a car. It was cheaper for a 1 day rental than it was to book a shuttle there-and-back.

slaney likes this.
  26. slaney

Psychology Student
    So I'm sitting in an airport terminal waiting on my hour+ delayed flight and dead tired after an interview today when all of a sudden a freakin BIRD flies past me not once but twice, and between the shock of that and the post-interview crash/processing of all of the events of the interview day, all I can do is point vehemently and sputter "FLYING! FLY!!" to which a little kid sitting next to me goes "yes, we fly soon!" while his mom just stares like
    [​IMG]
    I'm ready for a nap, y'all

27. Internship_Journey

:laugh: ... I was so cognitively overwhelmed that I accidentally put my car keys in the refrigerator.

28. ReallyFutureDrLove

Pre-Psychology
    So my biggest fear has come true- I am stranded far from my next interview tomorrow due to weather luckily the site is willing to change some things around for me. I may not be sleeping so I can catch a crack ass a dawn flight but I’ll make it to that site. Anyway, I guess brace yourselves for that kinda stuff- and everything was going so well!!!! Minor bump right? And I’m halfway through officially!!

29. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

Oh no! Good luck. It’s a tough week!

30. OpalinePhoenix

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    That kid Gets You. Also, now watching the terminal I'm in for birds.

So glad they accommodated you! I bet that happens pretty regularly given the time of year that this stuff all happens during. I'm currently taking a redeye; this crazy travel business is awful.

31. PsychDreams

7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Hope everyone is doing well on the interview trail and #stayinghealthy.

32. saarloos

MD/PhD Student
    Oh my god, yes!!! You're speaking straight to my heart right now. Totally something I do when tired/out of it. Hope your flight went out eventually and was safe and smooth and had no birds involved during flight.

33. saarloos

MD/PhD Student
    Congrats on reaching the halfway thru marker! Pretty awesome! Maybe there was something in the air yesterday but I feel like just about everything that could go wrong did. Today can be a better day, am I right?!

ReallyFutureDrLove likes this.
  34. slaney

Psychology Student
    Y'all, it was just too much haha. We did eventually get in the air and as far as I know, no birds were harmed in the process.
    So sorry to hear about travel difficulties! I really can't imagine a more stressful time for that to happen. Hopefully today and the days to come are better!! Sending good travel vibes everyone's way!

ReallyFutureDrLove likes this.
  35. assessmentnerd5678

Psychology Student
    Still nothing :( Keep me updated if you hear anything back I’ll do the same!

36. ReallyFutureDrLove

Pre-Psychology
    Hope it was Better for you too! I’m
    Happy to be home tonight even for just a day!!!

OpalinePhoenix likes this.
  37. ICantStopHittingRefresh

Psychology Student
    Travel. Interview. Travel. Interview. Travel...

[​IMG]

heartmind, plaegiste, Mega.N and 6 others like this.
  38. ReallyFutureDrLove

Pre-Psychology
    So- I have some open houses- I really do not want to wear a stuffy suit (I hate suits), if it is not entirely necessary. I am thinking a nice blazer with a nice top and pants is realistic. I don't want to over or under dress and everyone including faculty at my program have differing opinions. What have you heard, or what do you think?

39. PsychDreams

7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Hope the weather is treating everyone okay. I know a ton of flights got cancelled last week -- hope there are no more major disruptions for everyone going forward.

How are people doing with their interviews? I just reached the halfway point, and I'm having a hard time gaging how well I'm doing at the interviews, and I'm also feeling like I haven't found my #wandsite yet. Am I just having unrealistically high expectations? Are others feeling this way too?

heartmind and slaney like this.
  40. WisNeuro

Psychologist
    IMO, better to be over-dressed rather than under dressed. Unless the site specifically says business casual, I'll always recommend the suit.

ellenew and 307Psychology like this.
  41. slaney

Psychology Student
    Echo the travel/weather sentiment, and also hope everyone is staying healthy! My throat has been scratchy and I’ve been super snotty lately, but it hasn’t progressed into full blown SICK yet. I really hope all of you are well! Or as well as one can be flying all over the place and staying in a ton of hotels.

I’m also at the halfway point with in-person interviews, though it doesn’t really seem that way because I still have several in front of me. I definitely get where you’re coming from: I’ve had a few interviews where the people seemed really warm and engaged and like they liked me (which is a nice feeling!), and others where people seemed warm and polite and also a bit guarded. Those are more challenging to gauge and definitely leaves me feeling a little off-kilter and then I tend to ruminate about little things I or they said/did. I’m also in the same boat where I don’t feel like I’ve found my #wandsite yet either. To be honest, my top sites on paper are all still yet to come so that’s giving me a bit more hope, although I’m now worried I’m gonna get to those sites and they’re not going to live up to my idea of them on paper. I’m noticing a lot of anxiety and worry about potential disappointment and confusion if that happens.

It’s really too bad I don’t know any skills or things to help keep me in the present moment... :p:rolleyes:

ToneTone and PsychDreams like this.
  42. affectiveH3art

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I can say being midway I found my #wandsite and now have lost motivation for the last interviews lol like you have to really impress me at this point!

43. Psychchick09

Psychology Student
    Yes! Same here. I actually had an interview for whatever the opposite of #wandsite is right after my #wandsite interview, so I was a little concerned that all my interviews were going to be a let down, but then I had a really good interview somewhere else. Still not #wandsite levels, but definitely still a cool place!

I’m having legit interview fatigue though. If I have to ask, “What do you think makes the training here unique?” one more time...

44. PsychDreams

7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I'm glad to hear that others are finding their #wandsite!! It gives me hope (and it's also true that the sites I'm more interested in are coming up).

Interview fatigue is REAL though. By my 3rd interview it felt really repetitive, which is at least good for my anxiety. @slaney, I hear you about trying to gauge people's reactions. I am definitely ruminating on it and it's hard to look at programs objectively. There are some sites where I feel they weren't as engaged and interested in me, and it feels hard to rank the site highly because I get the sense I won't be ranked highly (which I know you're not supposed to do when ranking).

Can this process be over now?? Please?!?

45. affectiveH3art

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I know! Every interview is soooo different.

46. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

I'm almost half way, and I have been lucky not to have to travel much. Regardless, I am having trouble with guessing how well or not I'm doing in interviews and tend to tire quickly. Felt like I bombed at least one interview for a site I would have really liked, which left me feeling less confident about the remaining ones.

Internship_Journey likes this.
  47. MyLifeinRuins

Psychology Student
    What are everyone's thoughts on reaching out (via email) to the site to inquire about speaking to an intern following the interview? I am only considering this for the sites that mentioned having the option to do so and if they are currently one of my top sites?

Is that overkill/unnecessary or would it be beneficial for me? Would it also further communicate my interest in the site? Any thoughts, suggestions, or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

48. ReallyFutureDrLove

Pre-Psychology

Ugh! I’ll wear a suit too and dress pants and call it a day. If they don’t like me because of my dress during a “non mandatory” event, then boo on them, I’m good

49. slaney

Psychology Student
    I'm in Chicago, there's a deep dish pizza place right next to my hotel, and they accidentally gave me a medium instead of a small (#blessed), and so I just ate an obscene amount of pizza so here's hoping I can fit into my pants tomorrow
    [​IMG]

50. ReallyFutureDrLove

Pre-Psychology
    A “suit top” not a full on uncomfy suit. I need a day off from the damn suit

51. ReallyFutureDrLove

Pre-Psychology
    If a site says you can and you have specific questions for the site still lingering, ask away. But it does not seem like it’ll matter much to rankings. Just do what feels right and know the match system favors students preferences!!!

MyLifeinRuins and OpalinePhoenix like this.