SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by ForTheLoveOfPsych, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Daisy1991

Daisy1991

Nov 17, 2017
    If anyone has or will be interviewing at the Cleveland VA can you message me? I've read the email 20 times and still can't find where we are going to meet!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. OpalinePhoenix

OpalinePhoenix 5+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Has anyone else had to do the thing yet where they bring their luggage with them to the interview day and stash it somewhere? How did that go? Were people nice and accommodating about it? Did you feel awkward x 10000?

4. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    I've done this at 4/5 sites and all of the sites have been super understanding and accommodating. I only felt awkward when I left the interview area and made it almost entirely out of the building before I realized I left my suitcase and had to go back in and get it. Oops hahah

edit: Time permitting, you might also see if your hotel can hold your luggage while you interview. Tomorrow I have enough time to swing by the hotel and pick up my bags rather than going straight to the airport. I'm definitely looking forward to not having to carry bags with me tomorrow! :soexcited:

5. thefreudianslip

thefreudianslip

Nov 10, 2017
    Anyone interviewing at the Bay Pines VA? I’m not sure if there’s a building or room we’re supposed to show up at. The info I got only has the general address on it

6. PsyGal192

PsyGal192

Dec 6, 2017
    Same here and thanks will do! I feel like they're keeping us on the back burner - like aren't people scheduled for interviews already?! Bleh lol

7. ToneTone

ToneTone 5+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2012
    If they make people feel awkward about luggage...what would the training year be like? ;)

8. affectiveH3art

affectiveH3art 5+ Year Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I’m here in my hotel room and woke up sick!!! Plus I’m going on like 4 hours of sleep.... I’m starting to miss my kiddos and my own bed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

9. Hawkeye11

Hawkeye11

Sep 3, 2016
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm perfectly capable of feeling plenty awkward without any outside input. :whoa::p

eventualphd and ToneTone like this.
  10. Hawkeye11

Hawkeye11

Sep 3, 2016
    Boo! :( I hope your hotel has a shop with meds or you have some already and you are able to pull it together and rally. Good luck!

Juniper 2018 likes this.
  11. catsinhighheels

catsinhighheels

Nov 4, 2017
    Question: what have people heard about the Emory internship?

TiptoeConqueror likes this.
  12. Internship_Journey

Internship_Journey

Dec 4, 2017
    Where can I find data regarding the percentages of applicants who match with their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, choice etc.?

13. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    Past APPIC match stats list this. Although I would use this question to caution people about using group statistics to predict individual outcomes. You are using 1-2 variables that really aren't all that predictive at the individual level.

14. Internship_Journey

Internship_Journey

Dec 4, 2017
    Thanks for your reply.

15. ToneTone

ToneTone 5+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Oh noooo take care !!!!

16. ToneTone

ToneTone 5+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Just a tip: when interviewing at a site with multiple campuses bring a change of shoes if you’re wearing high heels. I feel a renewed sense of accomplishment walking 10 blocks in hilly SF.

17. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    Had an interview today that finally approached #wandsite level! It’s so exciting to be so excited when leaving, and also a relief that it lived up to my expectations! My #1 #wandsite (on paper) is tomorrow and I have all the feels right now, but I’m just gonna notice them for now and leave you all with this funny story:

Was trying to get onto the L platform with my suitcase, tote bag, and giant parka and I GOT STUCK in that turny gate thing (like the ones they have at amusement parks, whatever they’re called) and it took THREE people to help get me out. #newyearoldme

18. ToneTone

ToneTone 5+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Yay!!! That’s a good feeling to find a good site :)

And omg that sounds like something that’d happen to Mindy. I won’t lie, in my head you are Mindy.

FlygirlPhD, Hawkeye11 and slaney like this.
  19. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    HAHAHAHAHHA, that is such a compliment!!! :happy: I just stood there and was like " I NEED HELP PLEASE" and 3 people came to my rescue (including one who like defied the laws of physics to get my suitcase, which is what was stuck, out of the bar thing, while I just stood there questioning all of my life choices.

ToneTone likes this.
  20. Internship_Journey

Internship_Journey

Dec 4, 2017
    What's the most creative question you have come up with to ASK your interviewers and/or a site's training director?

21. justpeachy_2019

justpeachy_2019

Nov 28, 2017
    A girl in my program did not rank Emory after interviewing there AND my former mentors strongly dissuaded me from applying there. However, I don't know anyone who has done the actual internship.

22. PsychDreams

PsychDreams 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I think I found my #wandsite today!!! It's such a great feeling and on paper I was not particularly excited about this site. Now I'm way excited about the remaining interviews and sites! Having all the feels now!

FlygirlPhD, slaney and OpalinePhoenix like this.
  23. OpalinePhoenix

Jan 18, 2013
    They were gracious about it, AND I was able to change in the bathroom after the interview before jumping in a Lyft to get to the airport to go to tomorrow's. SUCCESS.

SO TRUE.

Congrats on having such a good one! Sounds like the universe tried to balance stuff out for you after that...I hate to think what's going to happen post-interview tomorrow (but good luck, I hope it's as awesome in person as on paper!!!).

Also, I think it's maybe a turnstile?

FlygirlPhD, slaney and ToneTone like this.
  24. Internship_Journey

Internship_Journey

Dec 4, 2017
    Are you talking about Emory CAPS?

25. OpalinePhoenix

Jan 18, 2013
    And, side note, I’m connecting in Chicago right now, and just listened to a dude tell someone on the phone, “I’m in Boulder right now, so I’ll drive back to Denver tomorrow.” Dude.

26. justpeachy_2019

justpeachy_2019

Nov 28, 2017
    Emory School of Medicine. I know nothing about CAPS!

geranium89 likes this.
  27. geranium89

geranium89

Nov 28, 2017
    Thanks, I was wondering this too... Haven't heard anything myself about CAPS...

28. geranium89

geranium89

Nov 28, 2017
    Is anyone else a little worried about life post interviews? My last one is next week, and as much as I am tired, I feel like its been such a distraction from the actual ranking and waiting process....

29. Juniper 2018

Juniper 2018

Nov 28, 2017
    What do people tend to wear to UCC open houses?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  30. psy2019

psy2019

Nov 17, 2017
    Definitely, this is a worry for me as well. My last interview is next week also, and the constant travelling has been a distraction (from about everything). I also am feeling so disoriented...having one day a week at practicum, or one day at class, is leaving me unsure as to what day it is half the time.
    I also have heard so many people give opinions as to how to approach the ranking process (training directors, school faculty, past interns, interns at sites I interviewed at, etc.), that my head is spinning. o_O

geranium89 likes this.
  31. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Would you mind elaborating?

32. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    I was curious about this as well. Especially if it's for the neuro track, as there are some huge names there of whom a letter will carry a huge amount of weight heading forward into postdoc and later into a cushy position.

33. justpeachy_2019

justpeachy_2019

Nov 28, 2017
    Sure thing. This was not for the neuro track. The person in my program who did not rank Emory had a really odd interview with a faculty member (the faculty member apparently put their shoes on the desk and crossed their arms through the interview). They also felt that morale was low.

The reason why my former mentors dissuaded me from applying was due to the same reasons. In addition, they warned me about the faculty member who the person in my program had a negative experience with, and this was without me prompting or asking about the person. Finally, they also felt that it would not be a good training experience for me, as my primary theoretical orientation is third-wave behavioral/DBT.

34. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    Omg, I hope he's not an applicant!! Because let's get real, with all the travel craziness this could TOTALLY be an applicant.
    I don't know anything about Emory's program, and that definitely does sound like an odd interview experience. We've had a student from our program there recently and she loved it, for what it's worth. I think she did trauma stuff.

35. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Y'ALL. IT HAPPENED. #WANDSITE HAPPENED. THIS IS WHAT LOVE FEELS LIKE.

And I just ordered a ton of Venezuelan food as well as 2 desserts and I plan to eat them all while laying in my hotel bed in my bathrobe and watching Law & Order: SVU because y'all, #wandsite has got me feeling all kinds of feels.

edit: didn't mean to post that gif of Janice twice, but honestly, it's so fitting I'ma leave it

36. ay1314

ay1314 2+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Resurfacing from selling myself to internships for half a second to ask: any thoughts on how to anonymously give appic feedback about a site that asks a totally inappropriate interview question but that you still might want to rank?

37. calimich

calimich Assistant Professor Psychologist Faculty 2+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2013
    California
    IIRC, there's an APPIC survey after it's all over where you'll be able to share quantitative and qualitative data. I remember giving feedback about a few interviews where odd/inappropriate things happened.

ay1314 likes this.
  38. spritepepsi

spritepepsi

Nov 20, 2017
    This is giving me life. PS plz tell me what visiting a wand site feels like bc I’m afraid it’s happened to me more than once but idk if that is possible??

39. Neurophile210

Neurophile210

Nov 18, 2017
    I flew spirit and had to use a backpack for my personal item. Also I don’t know you could leave luggage with the concierge at your hotel so I brought it with and was not the only one. The two interviews I have had so far have hardly paid attention though. So I don’t think it’s a huge mark against you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40. Neurophile210

Neurophile210

Nov 18, 2017
    Anybody get so nervous during an interview that you forget all those wonderful questions you had or feel like you are supposed to have more questions but don’t? Or is it just me over here eating my nails to nubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    Well YAY! for having a couple sites that are really exciting! For me, this site was one that I was REALLY excited about on paper and one for which I felt I was a solidly good fit, both in terms of clinical training, research, and my background coming out of grad school. Pretty much everything I wanted, this site had on paper (and then some!), AND it had enough new stuff that it would easily round out the training I've had to date in meaningful ways. I was actually really worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations in person, but I'm super pumped to say it did!

I've been super fortunate to interview at a number of different sites and at almost all of them, I feel reasonably confident I would be quite happy. AND, I was looking for some very specific types of clinical experiences that only a handful of my sites have and I think that is ultimately what has distinguished sites I really like from sites I really LOVE on #wandsite level. I still have 3 more interviews next week and will definitely keep an open mind, AND this one feels so right to me and offers pretty much everything I could want. So, we'll see :). It's definitely an exciting feeling! Hoping everyone in the #forumfam gets to experience this kind of excitement because it is so next level in all the best ways! :love:

42. ay1314

ay1314 2+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Me!! I’ve definitely forgotten carefully prepped answers a couple of times and honestly it was a good indicator for me of climate of the site. It’s been really interesting to see how different interview styles can be.

43. PsychDreams

PsychDreams 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I definitely do this too. I feel like I have a deer in the headlights moment in every interview due solely to nerves!

OpalinePhoenix likes this.
  44. Hello,
    In thinking about ranking I am balancing some decisions regarding my professional and personal life. With that being said, one question I have is how important is the internship year when it comes to an academic career trajectory? I am confident in my research productivity thus far and believe wherever I end up I will write at least during my off time--however, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by ranking a really awesome site lower strictly because it does not work well for my personal life/priorities. Any direction towards a thread related to this, etc. would be appreciated.

45. OpalinePhoenix

Jan 18, 2013
    Awesome! Taking this opportunity to remind everyone that the applicants' rankings carry more weight than the sites, so if you have a #wandsite moment like this, keep that in mind and remember you're awesome and amazing and that's why they interviewed you, and that's a huge part of what counts!

46. 307Psychology

307Psychology

Nov 21, 2017
    Has anyone had to miss an interview due to weather/travel and how did it go in terms of contacting the training director, rescheduling, etc.? I have a couple interviews in Chicago this week and with the weather my airline already notified me that travel will be disrupted, so I want to be prepared for the worst!

47. OpalinePhoenix

Jan 18, 2013
    I *almost* had this happen this week (luckily the airline was able to do some backflips and get me there on time!). But, it was a close enough call that I had already emailed the site to let them know that I wasn't sure if I could make it. They were super gracious about offering to reschedule me and/or schedule a phone/Skype interview if I couldn't make it on an alternate day. I think this probably happens every year, especially somewhere like the Midwest, so I wouldn't worry about reaching out and letting them know. I'd also think the earlier they're prepped for it, the better.

Good luck! I hope this all stays theoretical!

48. Gepetto

Gepetto

Oct 26, 2017

I would also like to know about this. And for that matter, if anyone is working in the neuro field and would be willing to PM me so I can ask some specific questions about ranking/decision making for my own situation/ career trajectory, I would super appreciate that as well.

49. Pragma

Pragma Neuropsychologist Psychologist 5+ Year Member

Dec 29, 2011
    It depends on what type of academic career you want. Internship can be really important for some R1/heavily funded areas. You can even apply for Ks as an intern.

More commonly, internship would set you up for a research postdoc, so you want one where you can stay productive.

But if you are talking about a more clinical position in an academic setting, then it matters much less. I’d say it is less important on the psychology department job hunt as well, so long as you still have a clear research agenda and maintain some productivity.

ToneTone likes this.
  50. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    Y'all, I woke up this morning at like 10 a.m. and was so disoriented and couldn't figure out where I was and then panicked thinking I was late to an interview and tripped and fell trying to get out of my bed* and it wasn't til I was sitting on my cold AF hardwood floors that I realized I was home, in my room, that it's Sunday, and I don't have anymore interviews until Thursday. Being away on interviews for 11 days will do some weird stuff to you.
    *Actual footage of me this morning
    [​IMG]

51. affectiveH3art

affectiveH3art 5+ Year Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Ok so that’s why I am so disoriented! And I’ve been away from home for 29 days... 29! And I dealt with a 3 hour time change 4 times. I always wake up confused and don’t even know what day or time it is... I am definitely not oriented x4

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app