2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hope the weather is treating everyone okay. I know a ton of flights got cancelled last week -- hope there are no more major disruptions for everyone going forward.

How are people doing with their interviews? I just reached the halfway point, and I'm having a hard time gaging how well I'm doing at the interviews, and I'm also feeling like I haven't found my #wandsite yet. Am I just having unrealistically high expectations? Are others feeling this way too?
Echo the travel/weather sentiment, and also hope everyone is staying healthy! My throat has been scratchy and I’ve been super snotty lately, but it hasn’t progressed into full blown SICK yet. I really hope all of you are well! Or as well as one can be flying all over the place and staying in a ton of hotels.

I’m also at the halfway point with in-person interviews, though it doesn’t really seem that way because I still have several in front of me. I definitely get where you’re coming from: I’ve had a few interviews where the people seemed really warm and engaged and like they liked me (which is a nice feeling!), and others where people seemed warm and polite and also a bit guarded. Those are more challenging to gauge and definitely leaves me feeling a little off-kilter and then I tend to ruminate about little things I or they said/did. I’m also in the same boat where I don’t feel like I’ve found my #wandsite yet either. To be honest, my top sites on paper are all still yet to come so that’s giving me a bit more hope, although I’m now worried I’m gonna get to those sites and they’re not going to live up to my idea of them on paper. I’m noticing a lot of anxiety and worry about potential disappointment and confusion if that happens.

It’s really too bad I don’t know any skills or things to help keep me in the present moment... :p:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I can say being midway I found my #wandsite and now have lost motivation for the last interviews lol like you have to really impress me at this point!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
I can say being midway I found my #wandsite and now have lost motivation for the last interviews lol like you have to really impress me at this point!

Yes! Same here. I actually had an interview for whatever the opposite of #wandsite is right after my #wandsite interview, so I was a little concerned that all my interviews were going to be a let down, but then I had a really good interview somewhere else. Still not #wandsite levels, but definitely still a cool place!

I’m having legit interview fatigue though. If I have to ask, “What do you think makes the training here unique?” one more time...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad to hear that others are finding their #wandsite!! It gives me hope (and it's also true that the sites I'm more interested in are coming up).

Interview fatigue is REAL though. By my 3rd interview it felt really repetitive, which is at least good for my anxiety. @slaney, I hear you about trying to gauge people's reactions. I am definitely ruminating on it and it's hard to look at programs objectively. There are some sites where I feel they weren't as engaged and interested in me, and it feels hard to rank the site highly because I get the sense I won't be ranked highly (which I know you're not supposed to do when ranking).

Can this process be over now?? Please?!?

I'm glad to hear that others are finding their #wandsite!! It gives me hope (and it's also true that the sites I'm more interested in are coming up).

Interview fatigue is REAL though. By my 3rd interview it felt really repetitive, which is at least good for my anxiety. @slaney, I hear you about trying to gauge people's reactions. I am definitely ruminating on it and it's hard to look at programs objectively. There are some sites where I feel they weren't as engaged and interested in me, and it feels hard to rank the site highly because I get the sense I won't be ranked highly (which I know you're not supposed to do when ranking).

Can this process be over now?? Please?!?

I know! Every interview is soooo different.

Hope the weather is treating everyone okay. I know a ton of flights got cancelled last week -- hope there are no more major disruptions for everyone going forward.

How are people doing with their interviews? I just reached the halfway point, and I'm having a hard time gaging how well I'm doing at the interviews, and I'm also feeling like I haven't found my #wandsite yet. Am I just having unrealistically high expectations? Are others feeling this way too?

I'm almost half way, and I have been lucky not to have to travel much. Regardless, I am having trouble with guessing how well or not I'm doing in interviews and tend to tire quickly. Felt like I bombed at least one interview for a site I would have really liked, which left me feeling less confident about the remaining ones.

Reactions: 1 user
What are everyone's thoughts on reaching out (via email) to the site to inquire about speaking to an intern following the interview? I am only considering this for the sites that mentioned having the option to do so and if they are currently one of my top sites?

Is that overkill/unnecessary or would it be beneficial for me? Would it also further communicate my interest in the site? Any thoughts, suggestions, or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

IMO, better to be over-dressed rather than under dressed. Unless the site specifically says business casual, I'll always recommend the suit.

Ugh! I’ll wear a suit too and dress pants and call it a day. If they don’t like me because of my dress during a “non mandatory” event, then boo on them, I’m good

I'm in Chicago, there's a deep dish pizza place right next to my hotel, and they accidentally gave me a medium instead of a small (#blessed), and so I just ate an obscene amount of pizza so here's hoping I can fit into my pants tomorrow
giphy.gif

Reactions: 12 users
Ugh! I’ll wear a suit too and dress pants and call it a day. If they don’t like me because of my dress during a “non mandatory” event, then boo on them, I’m good

A “suit top” not a full on uncomfy suit. I need a day off from the damn suit

What are everyone's thoughts on reaching out (via email) to the site to inquire about speaking to an intern following the interview? I am only considering this for the sites that mentioned having the option to do so and if they are currently one of my top sites?

Is that overkill/unnecessary or would it be beneficial for me? Would it also further communicate my interest in the site? Any thoughts, suggestions, or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

If a site says you can and you have specific questions for the site still lingering, ask away. But it does not seem like it’ll matter much to rankings. Just do what feels right and know the match system favors students preferences!!!

If anyone has or will be interviewing at the Cleveland VA can you message me? I've read the email 20 times and still can't find where we are going to meet!

Has anyone else had to do the thing yet where they bring their luggage with them to the interview day and stash it somewhere? How did that go? Were people nice and accommodating about it? Did you feel awkward x 10000?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else had to do the thing yet where they bring their luggage with them to the interview day and stash it somewhere? How did that go? Were people nice and accommodating about it? Did you feel awkward x 10000?
I've done this at 4/5 sites and all of the sites have been super understanding and accommodating. I only felt awkward when I left the interview area and made it almost entirely out of the building before I realized I left my suitcase and had to go back in and get it. Oops hahah

edit: Time permitting, you might also see if your hotel can hold your luggage while you interview. Tomorrow I have enough time to swing by the hotel and pick up my bags rather than going straight to the airport. I'm definitely looking forward to not having to carry bags with me tomorrow! :soexcited:

Anyone interviewing at the Bay Pines VA? I’m not sure if there’s a building or room we’re supposed to show up at. The info I got only has the general address on it

Still nothing :( Keep me updated if you hear anything back I’ll do the same!

Same here and thanks will do! I feel like they're keeping us on the back burner - like aren't people scheduled for interviews already?! Bleh lol

If they make people feel awkward about luggage...what would the training year be like? ;)

I’m here in my hotel room and woke up sick!!! Plus I’m going on like 4 hours of sleep.... I’m starting to miss my kiddos and my own bed

If they make people feel awkward about luggage...what would the training year be like? ;)
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm perfectly capable of feeling plenty awkward without any outside input. :whoa::p

I’m here in my hotel room and woke up sick!!! Plus I’m going on like 4 hours of sleep.... I’m starting to miss my kiddos and my own bed

Boo! :( I hope your hotel has a shop with meds or you have some already and you are able to pull it together and rally. Good luck!

Question: what have people heard about the Emory internship?

Where can I find data regarding the percentages of applicants who match with their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, choice etc.?

Past APPIC match stats list this. Although I would use this question to caution people about using group statistics to predict individual outcomes. You are using 1-2 variables that really aren't all that predictive at the individual level.

Past APPIC match stats list this. Although I would use this question to caution people about using group statistics to predict individual outcomes. You are using 1-2 variables that really aren't all that predictive at the individual level.

Thanks for your reply.

Oh noooo take care !!!!

Just a tip: when interviewing at a site with multiple campuses bring a change of shoes if you’re wearing high heels. I feel a renewed sense of accomplishment walking 10 blocks in hilly SF.

Had an interview today that finally approached #wandsite level! It’s so exciting to be so excited when leaving, and also a relief that it lived up to my expectations! My #1 #wandsite (on paper) is tomorrow and I have all the feels right now, but I’m just gonna notice them for now and leave you all with this funny story:

Was trying to get onto the L platform with my suitcase, tote bag, and giant parka and I GOT STUCK in that turny gate thing (like the ones they have at amusement parks, whatever they’re called) and it took THREE people to help get me out. #newyearoldme

Reactions: 6 users
Had an interview today that finally approached #wandsite level! It’s so exciting to be so excited when leaving, and also a relief that it lived up to my expectations! My #1 #wandsite (on paper) is tomorrow and I have all the feels right now, but I’m just gonna notice them for now and leave you all with this funny story:

Was trying to get onto the L platform with my suitcase, tote bag, and giant parka and I GOT STUCK in that turny gate thing (like the ones they have at amusement parks, whatever they’re called) and it took THREE people to help get me out. #newyearoldme

Yay!!! That’s a good feeling to find a good site :)

And omg that sounds like something that’d happen to Mindy. I won’t lie, in my head you are Mindy.

Yay!!! That’s a good feeling to find a good site :)

And omg that sounds like something that’d happen to Mindy. I won’t lie, in my head you are Mindy.
HAHAHAHAHHA, that is such a compliment!!! :happy: I just stood there and was like " I NEED HELP PLEASE" and 3 people came to my rescue (including one who like defied the laws of physics to get my suitcase, which is what was stuck, out of the bar thing, while I just stood there questioning all of my life choices.

What's the most creative question you have come up with to ASK your interviewers and/or a site's training director?

Question: what have people heard about the Emory internship?

A girl in my program did not rank Emory after interviewing there AND my former mentors strongly dissuaded me from applying there. However, I don't know anyone who has done the actual internship.

I think I found my #wandsite today!!! It's such a great feeling and on paper I was not particularly excited about this site. Now I'm way excited about the remaining interviews and sites! Having all the feels now!

I've done this at 4/5 sites and all of the sites have been super understanding and accommodating. I only felt awkward when I left the interview area and made it almost entirely out of the building before I realized I left my suitcase and had to go back in and get it. Oops hahah

edit: Time permitting, you might also see if your hotel can hold your luggage while you interview. Tomorrow I have enough time to swing by the hotel and pick up my bags rather than going straight to the airport. I'm definitely looking forward to not having to carry bags with me tomorrow! :soexcited:

They were gracious about it, AND I was able to change in the bathroom after the interview before jumping in a Lyft to get to the airport to go to tomorrow's. SUCCESS.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm perfectly capable of feeling plenty awkward without any outside input. :whoa::p

SO TRUE.

Congrats on having such a good one! Sounds like the universe tried to balance stuff out for you after that...I hate to think what's going to happen post-interview tomorrow (but good luck, I hope it's as awesome in person as on paper!!!).

Also, I think it's maybe a turnstile?

And, side note, I’m connecting in Chicago right now, and just listened to a dude tell someone on the phone, “I’m in Boulder right now, so I’ll drive back to Denver tomorrow.” Dude.

Is anyone else a little worried about life post interviews? My last one is next week, and as much as I am tired, I feel like its been such a distraction from the actual ranking and waiting process....

What do people tend to wear to UCC open houses?

Last edited:
Is anyone else a little worried about life post interviews? My last one is next week, and as much as I am tired, I feel like its been such a distraction from the actual ranking and waiting process....
Definitely, this is a worry for me as well. My last interview is next week also, and the constant travelling has been a distraction (from about everything). I also am feeling so disoriented...having one day a week at practicum, or one day at class, is leaving me unsure as to what day it is half the time.
I also have heard so many people give opinions as to how to approach the ranking process (training directors, school faculty, past interns, interns at sites I interviewed at, etc.), that my head is spinning. o_O

I was curious about this as well. Especially if it's for the neuro track, as there are some huge names there of whom a letter will carry a huge amount of weight heading forward into postdoc and later into a cushy position.

Sure thing. This was not for the neuro track. The person in my program who did not rank Emory had a really odd interview with a faculty member (the faculty member apparently put their shoes on the desk and crossed their arms through the interview). They also felt that morale was low.

The reason why my former mentors dissuaded me from applying was due to the same reasons. In addition, they warned me about the faculty member who the person in my program had a negative experience with, and this was without me prompting or asking about the person. Finally, they also felt that it would not be a good training experience for me, as my primary theoretical orientation is third-wave behavioral/DBT.

And, side note, I’m connecting in Chicago right now, and just listened to a dude tell someone on the phone, “I’m in Boulder right now, so I’ll drive back to Denver tomorrow.” Dude.
Omg, I hope he's not an applicant!! Because let's get real, with all the travel craziness this could TOTALLY be an applicant.
A girl in my program did not rank Emory after interviewing there AND my former mentors strongly dissuaded me from applying there. However, I don't know anyone who has done the actual internship.
Sure thing. This was not for the neuro track. The person in my program who did not rank Emory had a really odd interview with a faculty member (the faculty member apparently put their shoes on the desk and crossed their arms through the interview). They also felt that morale was low.

The reason why my former mentors dissuaded me from applying was due to the same reasons. In addition, they warned me about the faculty member who the person in my program had a negative experience with, and this was without me prompting or asking about the person. Finally, they also felt that it would not be a good training experience for me, as my primary theoretical orientation is third-wave behavioral/DBT.
I don't know anything about Emory's program, and that definitely does sound like an odd interview experience. We've had a student from our program there recently and she loved it, for what it's worth. I think she did trauma stuff.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Y'ALL. IT HAPPENED. #WANDSITE HAPPENED. THIS IS WHAT LOVE FEELS LIKE.

And I just ordered a ton of Venezuelan food as well as 2 desserts and I plan to eat them all while laying in my hotel bed in my bathrobe and watching Law & Order: SVU because y'all, #wandsite has got me feeling all kinds of feels.

edit: didn't mean to post that gif of Janice twice, but honestly, it's so fitting I'ma leave it

Reactions: 14 users
Resurfacing from selling myself to internships for half a second to ask: any thoughts on how to anonymously give appic feedback about a site that asks a totally inappropriate interview question but that you still might want to rank?

Resurfacing from selling myself to internships for half a second to ask: any thoughts on how to anonymously give appic feedback about a site that asks a totally inappropriate interview question but that you still might want to rank?

IIRC, there's an APPIC survey after it's all over where you'll be able to share quantitative and qualitative data. I remember giving feedback about a few interviews where odd/inappropriate things happened.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Y'ALL. IT HAPPENED. #WANDSITE HAPPENED. THIS IS WHAT LOVE FEELS LIKE.

And I just ordered a ton of Venezuelan food as well as 2 desserts and I plan to eat them all while laying in my hotel bed in my bathrobe and watching Law & Order: SVU because y'all, #wandsite has got me feeling all kinds of feels.

edit: didn't mean to post that gif of Janice twice, but honestly, it's so fitting I'ma leave it

This is giving me life. PS plz tell me what visiting a wand site feels like bc I’m afraid it’s happened to me more than once but idk if that is possible??

I flew spirit and had to use a backpack for my personal item. Also I don’t know you could leave luggage with the concierge at your hotel so I brought it with and was not the only one. The two interviews I have had so far have hardly paid attention though. So I don’t think it’s a huge mark against you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody get so nervous during an interview that you forget all those wonderful questions you had or feel like you are supposed to have more questions but don’t? Or is it just me over here eating my nails to nubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk