2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is giving me life. PS plz tell me what visiting a wand site feels like bc I’m afraid it’s happened to me more than once but idk if that is possible??
Well YAY! for having a couple sites that are really exciting! For me, this site was one that I was REALLY excited about on paper and one for which I felt I was a solidly good fit, both in terms of clinical training, research, and my background coming out of grad school. Pretty much everything I wanted, this site had on paper (and then some!), AND it had enough new stuff that it would easily round out the training I've had to date in meaningful ways. I was actually really worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations in person, but I'm super pumped to say it did!

I've been super fortunate to interview at a number of different sites and at almost all of them, I feel reasonably confident I would be quite happy. AND, I was looking for some very specific types of clinical experiences that only a handful of my sites have and I think that is ultimately what has distinguished sites I really like from sites I really LOVE on #wandsite level. I still have 3 more interviews next week and will definitely keep an open mind, AND this one feels so right to me and offers pretty much everything I could want. So, we'll see :). It's definitely an exciting feeling! Hoping everyone in the #forumfam gets to experience this kind of excitement because it is so next level in all the best ways! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody get so nervous during an interview that you forget all those wonderful questions you had or feel like you are supposed to have more questions but don’t? Or is it just me over here eating my nails to nubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me!! I’ve definitely forgotten carefully prepped answers a couple of times and honestly it was a good indicator for me of climate of the site. It’s been really interesting to see how different interview styles can be.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody get so nervous during an interview that you forget all those wonderful questions you had or feel like you are supposed to have more questions but don’t? Or is it just me over here eating my nails to nubs?

I definitely do this too. I feel like I have a deer in the headlights moment in every interview due solely to nerves!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
In thinking about ranking I am balancing some decisions regarding my professional and personal life. With that being said, one question I have is how important is the internship year when it comes to an academic career trajectory? I am confident in my research productivity thus far and believe wherever I end up I will write at least during my off time--however, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by ranking a really awesome site lower strictly because it does not work well for my personal life/priorities. Any direction towards a thread related to this, etc. would be appreciated.

Well YAY! for having a couple sites that are really exciting! For me, this site was one that I was REALLY excited about on paper and one for which I felt I was a solidly good fit, both in terms of clinical training, research, and my background coming out of grad school. Pretty much everything I wanted, this site had on paper (and then some!), AND it had enough new stuff that it would easily round out the training I've had to date in meaningful ways. I was actually really worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations in person, but I'm super pumped to say it did!

I've been super fortunate to interview at a number of different sites and at almost all of them, I feel reasonably confident I would be quite happy. AND, I was looking for some very specific types of clinical experiences that only a handful of my sites have and I think that is ultimately what has distinguished sites I really like from sites I really LOVE on #wandsite level. I still have 3 more interviews next week and will definitely keep an open mind, AND this one feels so right to me and offers pretty much everything I could want. So, we'll see :). It's definitely an exciting feeling! Hoping everyone in the #forumfam gets to experience this kind of excitement because it is so next level in all the best ways! :love:

Awesome! Taking this opportunity to remind everyone that the applicants' rankings carry more weight than the sites, so if you have a #wandsite moment like this, keep that in mind and remember you're awesome and amazing and that's why they interviewed you, and that's a huge part of what counts!

Has anyone had to miss an interview due to weather/travel and how did it go in terms of contacting the training director, rescheduling, etc.? I have a couple interviews in Chicago this week and with the weather my airline already notified me that travel will be disrupted, so I want to be prepared for the worst!

Has anyone had to miss an interview due to weather/travel and how did it go in terms of contacting the training director, rescheduling, etc.? I have a couple interviews in Chicago this week and with the weather my airline already notified me that travel will be disrupted, so I want to be prepared for the worst!

I *almost* had this happen this week (luckily the airline was able to do some backflips and get me there on time!). But, it was a close enough call that I had already emailed the site to let them know that I wasn't sure if I could make it. They were super gracious about offering to reschedule me and/or schedule a phone/Skype interview if I couldn't make it on an alternate day. I think this probably happens every year, especially somewhere like the Midwest, so I wouldn't worry about reaching out and letting them know. I'd also think the earlier they're prepped for it, the better.

Good luck! I hope this all stays theoretical!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
In thinking about ranking I am balancing some decisions regarding my professional and personal life. With that being said, one question I have is how important is the internship year when it comes to an academic career trajectory? I am confident in my research productivity thus far and believe wherever I end up I will write at least during my off time--however, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by ranking a really awesome site lower strictly because it does not work well for my personal life/priorities. Any direction towards a thread related to this, etc. would be appreciated.

I would also like to know about this. And for that matter, if anyone is working in the neuro field and would be willing to PM me so I can ask some specific questions about ranking/decision making for my own situation/ career trajectory, I would super appreciate that as well.

Hello,
It depends on what type of academic career you want. Internship can be really important for some R1/heavily funded areas. You can even apply for Ks as an intern.

More commonly, internship would set you up for a research postdoc, so you want one where you can stay productive.

But if you are talking about a more clinical position in an academic setting, then it matters much less. I’d say it is less important on the psychology department job hunt as well, so long as you still have a clear research agenda and maintain some productivity.

Y'all, I woke up this morning at like 10 a.m. and was so disoriented and couldn't figure out where I was and then panicked thinking I was late to an interview and tripped and fell trying to get out of my bed* and it wasn't til I was sitting on my cold AF hardwood floors that I realized I was home, in my room, that it's Sunday, and I don't have anymore interviews until Thursday. Being away on interviews for 11 days will do some weird stuff to you.
*Actual footage of me this morning
Bed%20gif.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Y'all, I woke up this morning at like 10 a.m. and was so disoriented and couldn't figure out where I was and then panicked thinking I was late to an interview and tripped and fell trying to get out of my bed* and it wasn't til I was sitting on my cold AF hardwood floors that I realized I was home, in my room, that it's Sunday, and I don't have anymore interviews until Thursday. Being away on interviews for 11 days will do some weird stuff to you.
*Actual footage of me this morning
Bed%20gif.gif

Ok so that’s why I am so disoriented! And I’ve been away from home for 29 days... 29! And I dealt with a 3 hour time change 4 times. I always wake up confused and don’t even know what day or time it is... I am definitely not oriented x4

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone going to the Kansas City VA on Thursday or the Truman VA on Friday? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone going to the Kansas City VA on Thursday or the Truman VA on Friday? :)

Got my KC VA interview Friday, so you should give me the run down on Thursday!

It depends on what type of academic career you want. Internship can be really important for some R1/heavily funded areas. You can even apply for Ks as an intern.

More commonly, internship would set you up for a research postdoc, so you want one where you can stay productive.

Agree w/ the above with one caveat: different institutions have different norms about supporting K awards and other career development awards for trainees. It is a good idea at the interview to find out about how interns and postdocs transition to independent careers and what the typical progression looks like. You will come across sites that tend to encourage longer postdocs, for example.

When thinking about ranking decisions, how much should one consider the type of grad program you're coming from and the types of programs that the site has matched with in the past? (e.g., how many PHDs, PsyDs, School Psych, etc.) I realize that there's no "correct" answer b/c everyone has different priorities and value system but just curious about what everyone has heard or what the TD's on this thread think about this aspect of the decisions?

When thinking about ranking decisions, how much should one consider the type of grad program you're coming from and the types of programs that the site has matched with in the past? (e.g., how many PHDs, PsyDs, School Psych, etc.) I realize that there's no "correct" answer b/c everyone has different priorities and value system but just curious about what everyone has heard or what the TD's on this thread think about this aspect of the decisions?

Obviously I don’t know what TD’s consider but I’ve been telling myself (perhaps delusionally) that this would’ve been a factor considered before bringing us in for an interview, I’m hoping they wouldn’t have even had us come in if they weren’t seriously considering us because of our degree type. Unless the site is particularly research focused, I am hoping they consider the match of experiencess/skills/goals/training needs over degree type.

Are you asking how this should affect your ranking decision? If so, it shouldn't. You should rank the sites according to your preferences, otherwise, you're only hurting yourself. Check the information about the Match algorithm if you don't understand this.

From the site's perspective, the program you are from often does factor into their ranking decisions. However, they also factor that into the decision to offer an interview, so if you've been offered an interview, then they are seemingly okay about your program. Everyone who is interviewing isn't held equal though. Those with the stronger applications are typically still ranked higher than those with weaker applications.

Only a month and a half before this whole process is over! I hope everyone is hanging in there throughout the last bit of interviews and as you rank your sites!

Sees winter weather warning, and threat of several inches of snow for my Southern city:
Me at literally every other point in my life: "Oooohhh, snow!!" :love::love::love:
Me during interview season: "Be still my Southern heart, I will sell my soul to the devil himself to rid the world of this wintry menace."

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Sees winter weather warning, and threat of several inches of snow for my Southern city:
Me at literally every other point in my life: "Oooohhh, snow!!" :love::love::love:
Me during interview season: "Be still my Southern heart, I will sell my soul to the devil himself to rid the world of this wintry menace."

giphy.gif
Y'aaaaaaalllllll. It's everywhereeeeeeee
tenor.gif

Did anyone else panic a bit when they saw Greg's email this morning??? It seems too soon to be thinking about rankings, but also right around the corner.
I'm curious how other people will be making ranking decisions? Most of my sites seem pretty similar with some pluses and minuses to each one, and even though I've taken notes throughout I'm worried I'm now recalling/appraising some earlier sites more positively than I did at the time. Anyone else struggling with this?

Did anyone else panic a bit when they saw Greg's email this morning??? It seems too soon to be thinking about rankings, but also right around the corner.
I'm curious how other people will be making ranking decisions? Most of my sites seem pretty similar with some pluses and minuses to each one, and even though I've taken notes throughout I'm worried I'm now recalling/appraising some earlier sites more positively than I did at the time. Anyone else struggling with this?

It may help to tier them out, first, if you can. After you rank your first tier sites, I wouldn't agonize over the rest.

IMG_9486.gif

Saw the word “rankings” from Greg and had a mild panic attack. I’m definitely struggling. A have a clear number one, but everything past that is neck and neck. I’m worried I’m actually doing the opposite and recalling/appraising some sites LESS positively than I did before.

This is hard.

This was my experience last year...

75187262.jpg

...it all worked out in the end. :)

I have had an interesting approach with ranking - What were the hours? - where interns happy? - was faculty friendly and approachable? - what will be the commute? - work/life balance?

On ones that are mixed I used the actual interview process as a way to evaluate them: Did they “take care of us” during the interview?” Did I like the facility? Did the interview seem intimidating, etc. For one site I even based it off what their offices looked like... and did they provide food... this is after full evaluation of track, training, fit etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Ok so that’s why I am so disoriented! And I’ve been away from home for 29 days... 29! And I dealt with a 3 hour time change 4 times. I always wake up confused and don’t even know what day or time it is... I am definitely not oriented x4

Totally feel you on this. I slept on the plane rides home a few times and woke up one of the times filled with anxiety about forgetting where I was headed next and whether I prepared for the interviews and if I be on-time and wtf *is* on time?!?!

Totally feel you on this. I slept on the plane rides home a few times and woke up one of the times filled with anxiety about forgetting where I was headed next and whether I prepared for the interviews and if I be on-time and wtf *is* on time?!?!

I keep questioning whether the days of my interviews are the correct dates. And every day off I wake up panicking whether it’s an interview day. Ughhhh!

Does anyone have insight on how Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) typically handles snow? I'm supposed to fly in tomorrow morning for a Thursday interview in the area, but the weather isn't looking so hot.

I have had an interesting approach with ranking - What were the hours? - where interns happy? - was faculty friendly and approachable? - what will be the commute? - work/life balance?

On ones that are mixed I used the actual interview process as a way to evaluate them: Did they “take care of us” during the interview?” Did I like the facility? Did the interview seem intimidating, etc. For one site I even based it off what their offices looked like... and did they provide food... this is after full evaluation of track, training, fit etc.

I like your process. For sure I take into consideration how they treat the interns on interview day. I’m personally a overbearing host at my home and also like being fed at interviews lol.

I’m not sure I like the intimidating tactics some sites use, it wouldn’t make me want to spend a year with them. Also, I don’t know if I’m weird or if office warmness is a real thing. As in, feeling a nice, comfortable, warm vibe. Anyone else walk into an office and instantly just felt off?

Does anyone have insight on how Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) typically handles snow? I'm supposed to fly in tomorrow morning for a Thursday interview in the area, but the weather isn't looking so hot.
Are you headed to Duke? I'll be there too :). I'm hoping this winter weather moves through and doesn't impact travel, but each time I get a "there's a potential disruption to your travel due to potential winter weather" email from Delta, I die a little bit inside. :dead:

I have a whole host of factors (training rotations, assessment opportunities, supervision style, post-doc placements, emphasis on diversity, facility, intern happiness, work/life balance, and a ton of other quality of life components) I'm considering in ranking. They're all in a spreadsheet and they add up to 100 points, with a separate "gut feeling" score. For me, I've been assigning points to each category pretty soon after the interview (maybe a few hours or so), and then I go back and look at them again a day or 2 later and see if anything feels like it should be changed. I've also got a running list of my rankings that I adjust after each interview. So, maybe my ranking list is Site C, A, B, but then after I visit site D, it changes to D, C, A, B. It's been working out for me to have the "objective" data and the gut feeling score and to kind of adjust them as I go.

I like your process. For sure I take into consideration how they treat the interns on interview day. I’m personally a overbearing host at my home and also like being fed at interviews lol.

I’m not sure I like the intimidating tactics some sites use, it wouldn’t make me want to spend a year with them. Also, I don’t know if I’m weird or if office warmness is a real thing. As in, feeling a nice, comfortable, warm vibe. Anyone else walk into an office and instantly just felt off?

One site moved up in ranks because the Hospital was so beautiful... like seriously because of an hour tour. And some sites drop down when I remember an odd or concerning comment from the faculty. It’s quite a fine line at this point.

I'd weight aesthetics pretty low. At least in Neuro, I can think of some beautiful hospitals with toxic/work horse training programs, and some old, non-appealing sites with some of the most respected faculty, and stellar training opportunities.

I was just wondering if anyone initially started the interview process feeling somewhat confident, and now toward the end is starting to doubt that they will even get a match (let alone a top choice), even with having a solid interview/rejection ratio? I'm finding myself other-thinking everything I might have said in various interviews and times that maybe I was too chatty or not succinct enough. I blame the recent snow days on my ability to have time to worry about this :(

I'd weight aesthetics pretty low. At least in Neuro, I can think of some beautiful hospitals with toxic/work horse training programs, and some old, non-appealing sites with some of the most respected faculty, and stellar training opportunities.

Mind you I'm weighing aesthetics AFTER all the other qualifying criteria I have - especially the workhorse mentality as I was unaware this was so prevalent in various settings. I definitely would not weigh this heavily if the training wasn't superb and/or there were other concerns.

I was just wondering if anyone initially started the interview process feeling somewhat confident, and now toward the end is starting to doubt that they will even get a match (let alone a top choice), even with having a solid interview/rejection ratio? I'm finding myself other-thinking everything I might have said in various interviews and times that maybe I was too chatty or not succinct enough. I blame the recent snow days on my ability to have time to worry about this :(

My thought process varies by the minute. At times I am confident I will get my #1 then I try to imagine matching at my #9 then not at all...regardless this is quite a crazy and stressful process. It kind of messes up my ranking because then I'm like...well if it's #2 WILL I LOVE IT! then rearranging all my ranking decisions.

Mind you I'm weighing aesthetics AFTER all the other qualifying criteria I have - especially the workhorse mentality as I was unaware this was so prevalent in various settings. I definitely would not weigh this heavily if the training wasn't superb and/or there were other concerns.
Looking at you, site without a functional bathroom for people of my gender!

Have other people noticed this "workhorse" mentality as well during interviews? At one site, they were required to work at 5 different sites within a 3 month time period and without the interns being able to choose which sites. This has been a disturbing trend. Not to say it isn't high quality training with good supervision, but dang....50-60 hours (and maybe more) seems excessive.

Yepp. The neuro tracks seemed to be a little worse in that regard. At the same time I was glad a handful of programs were honest in their materials about 50+ hour workweeks so I could avoid them altogether. One of those same sites also said they like interns who prioritize self care!!:eyebrow: I was happy to see lots of applicants ask about # of hours worked and current interns responding candidly about it. If you are paying me $12/hr as an intern under the guise of it being "primarily educational," then I expect that my main role is not to help ease your therapy waitlist or a supervisor's assessment load. On the other hand some sites were clear that interns' role there is learning and had a program structure which backed up those statements. I definitely got a clear feel for which sites were which while interviewing.

Yepp. The neuro tracks seemed to be a little worse in that regard. At the same time I was glad a handful of programs were honest in their materials about 50+ hour workweeks so I could avoid them altogether. One of those same sites also said they like interns who prioritize self care!!:eyebrow: I was happy to see lots of applicants ask about # of hours worked and current interns responding candidly about it. If you are paying me $12/hr as an intern under the guise of it being "primarily educational," then I expect that my main role is not to help ease your therapy waitlist or a supervisor's assessment load. On the other hand some sites were clear that interns' role there is learning and had a program structure which backed up those statements. I definitely got a clear feel for which sites were which while interviewing.

Yeah it seemed neuro got the worst of it but for other tracks like behavioral med to be on a similar schedule doesn’t seem right. Maybe it’s just the sites that I applied to but jeebuz

Are you headed to Duke? I'll be there too :). I'm hoping this winter weather moves through and doesn't impact travel, but each time I get a "there's a potential disruption to your travel due to potential winter weather" email from Delta, I die a little bit inside. :dead:

Yes! I will (hopefully) be at Duke :) My flight just got cancelled and I re-scheduled it on Southwest to a later time that day. I am really, really hoping I am able to get to this interview. I tried to reschedule my flight to today, but all of those options got cancelled as well. For now, I'm practicing radical acceptance :)

Yes! I will (hopefully) be at Duke :) My flight just got cancelled and I re-scheduled it on Southwest to a later time that day. I am really, really hoping I am able to get to this interview. I tried to reschedule my flight to today, but all of those options got cancelled as well. For now, I'm practicing radical acceptance :)
Ugh, I'm so sorry! Fingers crossed you get there! Flight/travel difficulties are always stressful, and especially during a time like this. I'm also practicing some skills and trying to cope ahead for getting stuck in Atlanta on my connection tomorrow which is looking increasingly likely. That and stress-eating Reese's peanut butter cups like the adult I am

Ugh, I'm so sorry! Fingers crossed you get there! Flight/travel difficulties are always stressful, and especially during a time like this. I'm also practicing some skills and trying to cope ahead for getting stuck in Atlanta on my connection tomorrow which is looking increasingly likely. That and stress-eating Reese's peanut butter cups like the adult I am

It is so stressful AND it is so nice to have support :) I hope your flight out of ATL does not get cancelled! You are SO not alone on the stress eating. I have been eating Dove Dark Chocolate Hearts like it's my job today. And trying to practice skills. But really just coping by eating chocolate. And by knowing that the new season of Grace and Frankie drops on 1/19.

Looking at you, site without a functional bathroom for people of my gender!

That makes me really upset. I'm so sorry.

I'm with you guys on hopefully not missing a Thursday interview because my town is supposed to get snow tomorrow and our tiny (tiny, tiny) airport does not handle that well. Good luck with both of your travels! Given that I have no Reese's, I feel like spoonfuls of peanut butter + chocolate chips would be a solid choice.

That makes me really upset. I'm so sorry.

I'm with you guys on hopefully not missing a Thursday interview because my town is supposed to get snow tomorrow and our tiny (tiny, tiny) airport does not handle that well. Good luck with both of your travels! Given that I have no Reese's, I feel like spoonfuls of peanut butter + chocolate chips would be a solid choice.

Spoonful of PB + chocolate chips = the original Reese's. Thank you for the well wishes. I hope you are able to get out tomorrow, too! And I'm also really hoping that a miracle happens and this snowstorm just dissipates. Magical/wishful thinking :)

Well y’all. This is just a cluster.
5FCCCABF-9CF6-420B-963B-928F1F945825.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh no!! Good luck to everyone traveling in that area! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

My flight was also canceled for tomorrow. What a mess!
So, so sorry! I hope you're able to get rebooked and work something out! :(

Indeed. I've booked three different flights (one for last night, one for this am, and one for tonight) and they all got cancelled. And then Southwest cancelled everything to RDU :( Stay safe, everyone!
Ugh, I am so sorry!!! What a huge disappointment, not to mention a hassle and an expensive day of unnecessary stress. Not that there's ever a good time for this, but geez, now is pretty awful.

I've been rebooked three times now, and am on a flight that leaves at 8pm and (supposedly) gets into Durham at 9:35. I'll believe it when I see it, at this point :shrug:

edit: On another note, if any of the #forumfam is stuck in the Atlanta airport, PM me and we can commiserate together! :)

Last edited: