2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious... Are any of you choosing not to rank certain sites? There is 1 that I am seriously considering leaving off of my ranking list because of an off-putting interaction I had with one of the faculty/supervisors at my interview. He was using a "devil's advocate" approach to challenge my critical thinking through an ethical dilemma. I've had this experience before and found it very helpful, however, he was unusually rude throughout the process. If I had to describe the experience... I felt that he was being really disrespectful. It's not even that I think I deserve to be treated like princess nor do I believe I'm doing them a favor by being there (I suppose this is me trying to justify not feeling like they necessarily have to show me respect :sour:) but I do want to be treated with the respect you'd show any human and I don't feel that he did that. I also felt that, at the end of the interview, he was advocating for some clinical decisions that I believe and have been explicitly taught are unethical.. There is also another site where the interns cried that they were being worked so hard... I'm thinking phase II has to be better than this?

That being said I have about 6 extremely viable options, 4 of which I would be THRILLED to match to! AKA it's not all doom and gloom.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm curious... Are any of you choosing not to rank certain sites? There is 1 that I am seriously considering leaving off of my ranking list because of an off-putting interaction I had with one of the faculty/supervisors at my interview. He was using a "devil's advocate" approach to challenge my critical thinking through an ethical dilemma. I've had this experience before and found it very helpful, however, he was unusually rude throughout the process. If I had to describe the experience... I felt that he was being really disrespectful. It's not even that I think I deserve to be treated like princess nor do I believe I'm doing them a favor by being there (I suppose this is me trying to justify not feeling like they necessarily have to show me respect :sour:) but I do want to be treated with the respect you'd show any human and I don't feel that he did that. I also felt that, at the end of the interview, he was advocating for some clinical decisions that I believe and have been explicitly taught are unethical.. There is also another site where the interns cried that they were being worked so hard... I'm thinking phase II has to be better than this?

That being said I have about 6 extremely viable options, 4 of which I would be THRILLED to match to! AKA it's not all doom and gloom.

Wait, like the interns ACTUALLY cried?! Geez. I went to one and there was this one girl who looked like she was about 3 seconds from bursting into tears and also seemed incredibly unhappy and over-worked.

To your original question, first of all, I'm really sorry you had such an off-putting interaction during an interview. This is certainly a stressful time so it's disappointing and dysregulating when those kinds of things happen. Most of my interview interactions have been fairly pleasant, although I did have one where the interviewer kept pushing me for an answer to something I said I wasn't sure of and would have to look up/consult on (he asked me like 3 different times and I had to politely repeat that I wasn't sure, which made me feel like an idiot, to be honest) that really left a bad taste in my mouth. As it stands, that was my least favorite site (for that and other reasons), so I'll be ranking it last (at least as of now). I hadn't considered not ranking them altogether, although I do think if you feel strongly/get a gut feeling about a site, to listen to that intuition!

So, so sorry! I hope you're able to get rebooked and work something out! :(

Ugh, I am so sorry!!! What a huge disappointment, not to mention a hassle and an expensive day of unnecessary stress. Not that there's ever a good time for this, but geez, now is pretty awful.

I've been rebooked three times now, and am on a flight that leaves at 8pm and (supposedly) gets into Durham at 9:35. I'll believe it when I see it, at this point :shrug:

edit: On another note, if any of the #forumfam is stuck in the Atlanta airport, PM me and we can commiserate together! :)

I hope you are able to make it safely to RDU tonight! I am working on radically accepting the fact that I am phone interviewing. I booked a flight to ATL (with a connection/stop), thinking I could drive up, but my ATL flight got cancelled. And now I’m headed back home after sitting in the connecting airport for several hours. I may or may not have had a minor breakdown. This is really putting my distress tolerance skills to the test!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, like the interns ACTUALLY cried?! Geez. I went to one and there was this one girl who looked like she was about 3 seconds from bursting into tears and also seemed incredibly unhappy and over-worked.

To your original question, first of all, I'm really sorry you had such an off-putting interaction during an interview. This is certainly a stressful time so it's disappointing and dysregulating when those kinds of things happen. Most of my interview interactions have been fairly pleasant, although I did have one where the interviewer kept pushing me for an answer to something I said I wasn't sure of and would have to look up/consult on (he asked me like 3 different times and I had to politely repeat that I wasn't sure, which made me feel like an idiot, to be honest) that really left a bad taste in my mouth. As it stands, that was my least favorite site (for that and other reasons), so I'll be ranking it last (at least as of now). I hadn't considered not ranking them altogether, although I do think if you feel strongly/get a gut feeling about a site, to listen to that intuition!

Oh yeah, full on cried! They said they are working like 60-70 hours a week, are in and out of peoples homes, and have no time to finish their dissertations. Thanks for your input! I left there thinking "there's no way in hell I'm going there" (they were also located in the middle of no where and their offices were in the center of a larger building which meant there were no windows ANYWHERE). Otherwise I thought the program offered experiences that could contribute to my professional growth in a meaningful way and I liked the TD a lot. Now that I'm farther removed from the emotion of the experience I'm starting to second guess myself. I have an appointment to meet with my advisor and discuss my concerns about those sites prior to submitting my rankings. I know I can do anything for a year if I really have to but I'd rather not.

I hope you are able to make it safely to RDU tonight! I am working on radically accepting the fact that I am phone interviewing. I booked a flight to ATL (with a connection/stop), thinking I could drive up, but my ATL flight got cancelled. And now I’m headed back home after sitting in the connecting airport for several hours. I may or may not have had a minor breakdown. This is really putting my distress tolerance skills to the test!

Even though it might not feel like it, it sounds like you're handling this well (I would legit be tantrumming on the floor of the airport terrible 2's style). You deserve all the drinks (assuming you drink) and all the snacks.
anigif_enhanced-23522-1413260756-5.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Oh yeah, full on cried! They said they are working like 60-70 hours a week, are in and out of peoples homes, and have no time to finish their dissertations. Thanks for your input! I left there thinking "there's no way in hell I'm going there" (they were also located in the middle of no where and their offices were in the center of a larger building which meant there were no windows ANYWHERE). Otherwise I thought the program offered experiences that could contribute to my professional growth in a meaningful way and I liked the TD a lot. Now that I'm farther removed from the emotion of the experience I'm starting to second guess myself. I have an appointment to meet with my advisor and discuss my concerns about those sites prior to submitting my rankings. I know I can do anything for a year if I really have to but I'd rather not.

That sounds...stressful. I’m sorru you had that experience! You know yourself best and whether you’d hold up there for a year. Personally I think it’s okay not to rank a site if it appears that miserable. One interview I left almost crying when I got home because I thought it went badly (even though I don’t think that was their intent). Another I thought the entire day how glum and stressed I felt at the site. I probably will not rank either site very high, but I’m a 6th year and desperately want to graduate so I probably will not leave any out of ranking.

Oh my. This sounds like a really tough situation and I think it’s great that you’re consulting with your advisor. People from my program (who have matched and are graduated) that I’ve talked to emphasized the importance of intern happiness when ranking sites. I think it’s great that you’re trying to balance being rational with your emotions AND I also think that gut feeling is so important.

You’re also so not alone in this! I had an interview where I loved the program on paper. In person, the training and supervisors seemed great, but when I met the interns, they seemed so overwhelmed and overworked. This was really alarming to me and had my gut saying “NO!” I’m ranking the site, but it will be my last rank for now.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds...stressful. I’m sorru you had that experience! You know yourself best and whether you’d hold up there for a year. Personally I think it’s okay not to rank a site if it appears that miserable. One interview I left almost crying when I got home because I thought it went badly (even though I don’t think that was their intent). Another I thought the entire day how glum and stressed I felt at the site. I probably will not rank either site very high, but I’m a 6th year and desperately want to graduate so I probably will not leave any out of ranking.

Thank you! I’m planning on getting my favorite takeout and some Malbec when I get home :) I wish I had brought my Southwest drink coupons with me. Ooops!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who left a few feeling really disappointed! I totally get the itch to get this done and graduate... I think that's why I'm questioning my initial gut response.

Oh my. This sounds like a really tough situation and I think it’s great that you’re consulting with your advisor. People from my program (who have matched and are graduated) that I’ve talked to emphasized the importance of intern happiness when ranking sites. I think it’s great that you’re trying to balance being rational with your emotions AND I also think that gut feeling is so important.

You’re also so not alone in this! I had an interview where I loved the program on paper. In person, the training and supervisors seemed great, but when I met the interns, they seemed so overwhelmed and overworked. This was really alarming to me and had my gut saying “NO!” I’m ranking the site, but it will be my last rank for now.

Crossing my fingers we will be in the 52% who get their #1 ranked site! Luckily I definitely found my #wandsite with some really exciting other options. And I'm planning on tearing that dude up in the APPIC interview feedback :caution:

Is anyone in the Richmond, VA area? I was supposed to drive from Durham to Richmond tomorrow evening for an interview in Richmond on Friday, but I'm really concerned about the condition of the roads. Apparently they're getting a TON of snow in Durham, and from the looks of the radar it seems that Richmond is getting a fair amount as well. I'm not at all confident in my abilities to drive with all of this wintry nonsense on the roads and am now trying to figure out if I should ask to reschedule that interview.

Y'all, this is such a freakin mess. AND, I do feel at least somewhat better that you all get it and that everyone is rooting for everyone else! Y'all are #goals

Is anyone in the Richmond, VA area? I was supposed to drive from Durham to Richmond tomorrow evening for an interview in Richmond on Friday, but I'm really concerned about the condition of the roads. Apparently they're getting a TON of snow in Durham, and from the looks of the radar it seems that Richmond is getting a fair amount as well. I'm not at all confident in my abilities to drive with all of this wintry nonsense on the roads and am now trying to figure out if I should ask to reschedule that interview.

Y'all, this is such a freakin mess. AND, I do feel at least somewhat better that you all get it and that everyone is rooting for everyone else! Y'all are #goals

#1, no site is worth your physical safety soooo if they aren't flexible given that we are having one of the snowiest winters in years, they probably aren't going to be a #wandsite anyway. As someone very used to driving in the snow I'll offer my sage northerner advice if you do decide to drive.. GO SLOW unless you're trying to make it up a hill. Everybody else can be patient because you're pretty much saving their lives by encouraging them to slow down. Shift down a gear if you're going down hill, it'll keep you from picking up speed. Pack salt and cat litter because it'll help you get traction if you get stuck in the snow... That's all I got. Full disclosure: I'm awful at driving in the snow but I haven't died yet so I must not be that awful.

And remember...
Beyonce+Pad+Thai.png

Reactions: 4 users
#1, no site is worth your physical safety soooo if they aren't flexible given that we are having one of the snowiest winters in years, they probably aren't going to be a #wandsite anyway. As someone very used to driving in the snow I'll offer my sage northerner advice if you do decide to drive.. GO SLOW unless you're trying to make it up a hill. Everybody else can be patient because you're pretty much saving their lives by encouraging them to slow down. Shift down a gear if you're going down hill, it'll keep you from picking up speed. Pack salt and cat litter because it'll help you get traction if you get stuck in the snow... That's all I got. Full disclosure: I'm awful at driving in the snow but I haven't died yet so I must not be that awful.

And remember...
Beyonce+Pad+Thai.png
Okay first of all, A+ Mindy reference.

Second of all, thank you for the words of wisdom! I would imagine they'd be accommodating and let me come on another date (they have one next week), it would just be another large (not to mention unplanned and unexpected) expense. So we'll see. It is what it is at this point. Not much anyone can do :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay first of all, A+ Mindy reference.

Second of all, thank you for the words of wisdom! I would imagine they'd be accommodating and let me come on another date (they have one next week), it would just be another large (not to mention unplanned and unexpected) expense. So we'll see. It is what it is at this point. Not much anyone can do :shrug:

How much would an uber/Lyft be to the site versus rescheduling? Safety first! I’m pretty sure I would DIE driving by myself in the snow so kudos to all of you. I just don’t get it. Every time I do it, it’s a bad time.

How much would an uber/Lyft be to the site versus rescheduling? Safety first! I’m pretty sure I would DIE driving by myself in the snow so kudos to all of you. I just don’t get it. Every time I do it, it’s a bad time.
It's like a 2.5 hour drive, I think, so not Uber-able. I'm staying with my friend in Durham (if I ever get there, they just delayed us yet again). Also, some flight attendants also just informed us there are apparently no hotels because ATL is such a giant cluster right now, so the idea of potentially sleeping in the airport has really got me feeling all kinds of things
tenor.gif

It's like a 2.5 hour drive, I think, so not Uber-able. I'm staying with my friend in Durham (if I ever get there, they just delayed us yet again). Also, some flight attendants also just informed us there are apparently no hotels because ATL is such a giant cluster right now, so the idea of potentially sleeping in the airport has really got me feeling all kinds of things
tenor.gif

I can't imagine that it would hurt to ask to reschedule! Worst they can do is say no. Check AirBnB.. people might forget to look there!

And remember...
Beyonce+Pad+Thai.png

Another piece of advice if you decide to drive from Richmond to Durham: if you hit some ice, don’t slam on your breaks! Pump them. I also agree that no site is worth your life so stay safe!!!

tenor.gif

The other time I may or may not have had an airport meltdown, I was told that I was going to have to spend the night in the Detroit airport. The tears came and then I magically got a hotel room. That was not my intent at all (I was crying from being super frustrated and exhausted), but just saying ;)

Have been up since 4:30am flying, spent like 9 hours in the Atlanta airport, had multiple flights cancelled and rebooked, then the in-person interview got cancelled for tomorrow which was super disappointing given the lengths I’ve gone to get there, finally got on a plane, but then there were no pilots, and so we’ve been sitting on the tarmac for like an hour and I was watching Say Yes to the Dress and I’m so dang dysregulated that I burst into tears at the end of the episode when they showed a bride getting married and surprise! she’s also pregnant too, it’s a girl, and good Lord, Jesus take the freakin wheel.

Last edited:
Have been up since 4:30am flying, spent like 9 hours in the Atlanta airport, had multiple flights cancelled and rebooked, then the in-person interview got cancelled for tomorrow which was super disappointing given the lengths I’ve gone to get there, finally got on a plane, but then there were no pilots, and so we’ve been sitting on the tarmac for like an hour and I was watching Say Yes to the Dress and I’m so dang dysregulated that I burst into tears at the end of the episode when they showed a bride getting married and surprise! she’s also pregnant too, it’s a girl, and good Lord, Jesus take the freakin wheel.

Oh man. I really feel for you, and all of you with these f-ed up travels! Wishing you some rest and safety.

I’m SO sorry. I hope you are able to make it in safely and at least go to the optional part tomorrow. I 100% feel you on the dysregulated bit. I finally made it back home, right where I was over 14 hours ago, and I am exhausted

Another piece of advice if you decide to drive from Richmond to Durham: if you hit some ice, don’t slam on your breaks! Pump them. I also agree that no site is worth your life so stay safe!!!

Really? Cat litter? Like...any variety or...? lol

This sounds absolutely nightmarish. You deserve that cry!

Aw man! Girl, I'm so sorry! That's so frustrating I would definitely cry too.

Well YAY! for having a couple sites that are really exciting! For me, this site was one that I was REALLY excited about on paper and one for which I felt I was a solidly good fit, both in terms of clinical training, research, and my background coming out of grad school. Pretty much everything I wanted, this site had on paper (and then some!), AND it had enough new stuff that it would easily round out the training I've had to date in meaningful ways. I was actually really worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations in person, but I'm super pumped to say it did!

I've been super fortunate to interview at a number of different sites and at almost all of them, I feel reasonably confident I would be quite happy. AND, I was looking for some very specific types of clinical experiences that only a handful of my sites have and I think that is ultimately what has distinguished sites I really like from sites I really LOVE on #wandsite level. I still have 3 more interviews next week and will definitely keep an open mind, AND this one feels so right to me and offers pretty much everything I could want. So, we'll see :). It's definitely an exciting feeling! Hoping everyone in the #forumfam gets to experience this kind of excitement because it is so next level in all the best ways! :love:
Super happy for you! And I agree about the #wandsite feelings. I had that Meredith Grey, “That was such a high! I don’t know why anyone does drugs” feeling at a couple of sites. I have a feeling match day will be bittersweet (if I’m fortunate enough to match) because matching to one great site means not matching to others that are also wonderful. I guess that just proves we chose the right field if we get this excited about the training opportunities out there!

Sounds awful- I’d cry too!

I'm just learning that some applicants are writing thank you emails to the DCTs and supervisors they interviewed with. What have people heard about this practice? Is it better to send a brief, more generic thank you or should we try to really adapt it to each site/interviewer?

For any of you who have already been through this process and are involved in the ranking of applicants, how important are these thank you emails?

I'm just learning that some applicants are writing thank you emails to the DCTs and supervisors they interviewed with. What have people heard about this practice? Is it better to send a brief, more generic thank you or should we try to really adapt it to each site/interviewer?

For any of you who have already been through this process and are involved in the ranking of applicants, how important are these thank you emails?

My strategy is to overthink it with the plan to send personalized ones and then feel so overwhelmed that I send nothing, but that may not suit everyone's style.

Reactions: 11 users
My strategy is to overthink it with the plan to send personalized ones and then feel so overwhelmed that I send nothing, but that may not suit everyone's style.

Hahahahah that is EXACTLY where I'm at right now!

I have a box of like 30 thank you cards. Did I send them? Nope. Ran out of stamps. Figured it’s too late/thirsty now.

I just finished my last interview today in Dallas!!!! I feel like I fell short and was too tired to ask questions or give extensive answers. I probably did the worst in comparison to all my interviews. And a few days ago I heard some horribly bad news which may have impacted my performance.

My committee member suddenly passed away and I’m still in shock. It’s the worst feeling knowing this then having to continue with my last interview. I’m saddened by this news and what it means for me. Plus I have mixed feelings because I’m done with interviews and excited to see my girls. My emotions are all over the place...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Has anyone ever interviewed at the Coatesville VA? If so, what is the case-based writing example that they require on the interview day?

I just finished my last interview today in Dallas!!!! I feel like I fell short and was too tired to ask questions or give extensive answers. I probably did the worst in comparison to all my interviews. And a few days ago I heard some horribly bad news which may have impacted my performance.

My committee member suddenly passed away and I’m still in shock. It’s the worst feeling knowing this then having to continue with my last interview. I’m saddened by this news and what it means for me. Plus I have mixed feelings because I’m done with interviews and excited to see my girls. My emotions are all over the place...

Congrats on getting through this process! I felt foggy today on my penultimate interview, and I didn’t lose anyone close to me.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope now that your done, you can give yourself sometime to grieve before getting caught up in the stress of impending match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At every site I have been at and in ranking decisions (5) they have been zero important.

Same. It factors not at all into ranking decisions at the sites where I've been involved in ranks.

That sounds like a really bad sign. Current intern attitudes (especially if they seem similar in demeanor to me!) definitely figure in a lot for me. I haven't had any yet that I WOULDN'T rank, but in cases like you described, I'd definitely consider it. Would the jerk guy be a regular direct supervisor? That would be my one thing - one person being lousy if I didn't have to see them much would be alright, but if he was a regular supervisor, that seems like it matters more. I think in any case, it's good to ask yourself, would it feel worse to not match in Phase I or to imagine living a year in that place/at that rate? Going to Phase II isn't fun, but it's much more temporary.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. Definitely have some self care now, and moving forward. I'm sure that puts so many things into such stark perspective, and I'm so sorry you're coping with that at the same time as 800 other life stressors. #forumfamlove

Hey guys,

We're on page 133. On last year's match day, the analogous thread was on page 53.

Carry on. :rofl:

Reactions: 10 users

So sorry for your loss :(

I'm so so sorry for your loss.

That sounds like a really bad sign. Current intern attitudes (especially if they seem similar in demeanor to me!) definitely figure in a lot for me. I haven't had any yet that I WOULDN'T rank, but in cases like you described, I'd definitely consider it. Would the jerk guy be a regular direct supervisor? That would be my one thing - one person being lousy if I didn't have to see them much would be alright, but if he was a regular supervisor, that seems like it matters more. I think in any case, it's good to ask yourself, would it feel worse to not match in Phase I or to imagine living a year in that place/at that rate? Going to Phase II isn't fun, but it's much more temporary.

He supervises 3/4 interns so it is more likely than not that I would be dealing with him regularly.. Thanks for your feedback! Luckily this was the exception rather than the rule for many of my interviews!

Hey guys,

We're on page 133. On last year's match day, the analogous thread was on page 53.

Carry on. :rofl:

Um seriously, so jealous of yall's support here! (I went through this process last year of the only-53-page thread :) ). But of course I'm glad you have each other! (PS - I'm only a slight creep for sometimes looking at this thread as I'm currently stalking the postdoc page :) )

Reactions: 8 users
Um seriously, so jealous of yall's support here! (I went through this process last year of the only-53-page thread :) ). But of course I'm glad you have each other! (PS - I'm only a slight creep for sometimes looking at this thread as I'm currently stalking the postdoc page :) )

I also creep this page as I’m already on internship, and I must say, y’all keep me entertained!! Good luck to all!

Reactions: 7 users
Interview season is almost over!!! We made it - almost made it (I have 2 more interviews to go). Next issue - how the heck are we going to wait patiently for match day?? Granted, I'm the type of person who likes to know the end of a book before I read it #impatientasheck #howsitgonnaend

Interview season is almost over!!! We made it - almost made it (I have 2 more interviews to go). Next issue - how the heck are we going to wait patiently for match day?? Granted, I'm the type of person who likes to know the end of a book before I read it #impatientasheck #howsitgonnaend
Definitely there with you-I want to know the end too! Hopefully this thread will continue to be active for each of us to support each other during the waiting process. I excited for each of us to find out where our new “home” will be next year!

Big shout-out and many thanks to @ToneTone, @PsychDreams @LizLemonIsMySpiritAnimal @justpeachy_2019 and @FlygirlPhD for the support the other day! It was ROUGH, AND I appreciate the support more than y'all can know! #goals :)

One of my sites (my #wandsite no less) sent ME (and I'm assuming all the other applicants) a post-interview thank you email and if I wasn't #thirstyAF before y'all can bet your bottom dollar I am now:love:
Definitely there with you-I want to know the end too! Hopefully this thread will continue to be active for each of us to support each other during the waiting process. I excited for each of us to find out where our new “home” will be next year!
Originally I thought we should create a new thread for Match stuff but now that this thing has taken on a life of its own, I kinda love it and think we should just keep using it til February 23rd!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Big shout-out and many thanks to @ToneTone, @PsychDreams @LizLemonIsMySpiritAnimal @justpeachy_2019 and @FlygirlPhD for the support the other day! It was ROUGH, AND I appreciate the support more than y'all can know! #goals :)

One of my sites (my #wandsite no less) sent ME (and I'm assuming all the other applicants) a post-interview thank you email and if I wasn't #thirstyAF before y'all can bet your bottom dollar I am now:love:

Originally I thought we should create a new thread for Match stuff but now that this thing has taken on a life of its own, I kinda love it and think we should just keep using it til February 23rd!

Any.Time. Glad you’re safe! Also thankful we have a giant group supporting each other! Just finished my last interview today and I can say almost everyone at all my interviews were soooooo supportive, sweet, and not competitive! #wegrown

Reactions: 5 users
Would anyone who interviewed at the Nashville VA be willing to chat with me about their experience? I was scheduled to attend an in-person interview but got sick and had to complete the interview by phone. You gather such rich info from actually visiting each site so I'm hoping someone out there can fill me in on what I missed! PM if you're willing :) Thank you!