2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if there is anyone else in this boat but I'm finding myself more and more discouraged since I have no invites yet and 7 rejections. i'm just not sure how all of this works- for example- I'm at a VA for practium but a few VA sites already rejected me. I also did a year with DBT intensively working with borderline patients and Sutter Center for Psychiatry rejected me (they do EXACTLY what I was doing for over a year AND look up to my supervisor who wrote me a letter of rec HIGHLY). I'm really afraid of getting none and having to anxiously wait for phase II but I know a lot of this truly isn't in my control either. How have you all been keeping your head up? Especially those with no invites :/

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if there is anyone else in this boat but I'm finding myself more and more discouraged since I have no invites yet and 7 rejections. i'm just not sure how all of this works- for example- I'm at a VA for practium but a few VA sites already rejected me. I also did a year with DBT intensively working with borderline patients and Sutter Center for Psychiatry rejected me (they do EXACTLY what I was doing for over a year AND look up to my supervisor who wrote me a letter of rec HIGHLY). I'm really afraid of getting none and having to anxiously wait for phase II but I know a lot of this truly isn't in my control either. How have you all been keeping your head up? Especially those with no invites :/

I have about 12 rejections and no invites at this point I am focusing on what I can do like my dissertation and the week of prac notes, and just expecting the worst but hoping that the best happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Providence Saint John's Child and Family Development Center
No Track
Rejection :thumbdown:
12/6 at 7pm EST
Personal Email

How are you guys getting through runs of rejections? The logical, statistically-minded part of my brain is telling me that this does not mean that every site from now on is going to reject me, but every other part of my brain is telling that part to stuff it.
Just to verify, this is the Santa Monica one correct? Did anyone else hear from them? I am waiting to hear and wondering if not receiving an email yesterday is a good thing? I need a win right now with 0 invites so far. Please :whistle:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to verify, this is the Santa Monica one correct? Did anyone else hear from them? I am waiting to hear and wondering if not receiving an email yesterday is a good thing? I need a win right now with 0 invites so far. Please :whistle:

Yep, I believe that is the Santa Monica one! I haven't heard from them either, and I do hope that is a good thing...lol

Reactions: 1 user
Super excited to see that the UCC folks are getting more notifications today! Y'all have been CHAMPS being patient and waiting while other types of sites have notified a lot earlier.

Also, in the spirit of pick me ups, this continues to be one of my all-time favorite things on the internet and somehow perfectly captures this process

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else have their first interview tomorrow? I'm nervous!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else have their first interview tomorrow? I'm nervous!
I do! Browsing the forum while my bf drives us to the hotel <3
And I'm also so so so nervous and excited! Sending you some good vibes!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Super excited to see that the UCC folks are getting more notifications today! Y'all have been CHAMPS being patient and waiting while other types of sites have notified a lot earlier.

Also, in the spirit of pick me ups, this continues to be one of my all-time favorite things on the internet and somehow perfectly captures this process

slaney, you kill me. Literally LOL'ing away the pain...

PS...anyone coming to CUMC/NYP wants to grab a cuppa and chat let me know. I didn't apply and don't know the interview dates, but my adult job is in the area

The email from The Help Group got me like....o_O
Sending us an email to let us know they are still reading all applications and will let us all know on the same day very soon. I about dropped my phone when I received the email thinking it was an invite haha

Members don't see this ad :)
The email from The Help Group got me like....o_O
Sending us an email to let us know they are still reading all applications and will let us all know on the same day very soon. I about dropped my phone when I received the email thinking it was an invite haha

Haha, I can see how we are different people--I definitely was just like, "oh another rejection..." before I actually read it more closely.

EDIT: obviously that's why Eeyore's my avatar.

Reactions: 8 users
Haha, I can see how we are different people--I definitely was just like, "oh another rejection..." before I actually read it more closely.

I honestly looked at the length of the email and saw a date and freaked out thinking it was an invite..then I read it fully haha

Has anyone heard from CHOP for the Pediatric Psychology track yet? Tomorrow is their notification deadline & I'm fully expecting a rejection. The only thing I see on the main page is invites for the Integrated Behavioral Health track. Anyone?

Haha, I was totally thinking the Eeyore thing before I saw your edit. :) To be fair, I read Pooh books to my kid often, though. :p

Has anyone heard from CHOP for the Pediatric Psychology track yet? Tomorrow is their notification deadline & I'm fully expecting a rejection. The only thing I see on the main page is invites for the Integrated Behavioral Health track. Anyone?

A classmate got an email invite on Monday but I don't know from what track (prob not behavioral health). I'm also holding out hope for an invite!

Franciscan Children's
Rejection
Mass email (12/7, early afternoon-EST)

I really REALLY need some good news here :cryi:

Is that... yep, that's rain on my parade Hawkeye!!! Most of the rest of the sites I'm waiting on are counseling centers, four of which do not interview in person (Washington State U, Montana State U, U of Colorado Wardenburg, and WVU Carruth Center for Counseling and Psych). Most of the others I'm waiting on are optional in terms of on-site interviews vs not.
Oh no! Well, we've rained on each other's parades, then. I do have some more non-UCC sites I'm waiting on, too (Kansas VA, Momentous, Citrus Health and UT HSC San Antonio), if you perchance applied to any of those?

Well then. I expected this.

Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
Rejection
Personal email 12/7 with a word document letter attached. Super nice but says “an interview has not been indicated.”
I actually laughed. It’s okay though, because I saw this one coming from 10 miles away...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone. I am only hurting because Long Beach was my home, and this rejection just hit a little close to the heart. I am very grateful for the interviews I have been offered. I think this process has really challenged me in ways I never imagined, and has given me an opportunity to grow.

I am confident in your match chances, even with the undesirable start. I apologize if I came off as ungrateful...this has all just overwhelmed me and made me really rethink my own abilities. I'm wishing you the best!

I am born and raised in Long Beach (and still live here while completing grad school!). So I completely identify with this rejection stinging a bit more than the others. I really thought I'd at least have the opportunity to interview at Long Beach VA. I'm trying to positively reframe, and see internship as an opportunity to live outside of CA for at least a year. Post doc at LB VA sounds appealing though. :)

Rejection
Personal email 12/7 228pm EST with a word document letter attached. Super nice but says “an interview has not been indicated.”
I actually laughed. It’s okay though, because I saw this one coming from 10 miles away...

I’m sorry for the rejection but...also sorry Lol that line is amazing.

This made my week. I would accept someone who did that, just to keep me entertained. Suggestion #2 is my favorite. Except I have to correct you - it's DEFINITELY just circle Y or N. Also I would recommend doing this, but then not putting a "no" option.

This is the highlight of my day. Or week.

#replaced :bullcrap:

:p

Rejection
Personal email 12/7 228pm EST with a word document letter attached. Super nice but says “an interview has not been indicated.”

I’m pretty sure mine is on the way...but I’ve been expecting it, considering that their invites went out quite some time ago

The Village for Families and Children
Rejection :(
Mass Email 12/7 @ 2:30
Womp womp +pity+

The Village for Families & Children |- Rejection :( ....never mind I have more lined up :) keep your spirits high, we will rock this!

Has anyone received an outright rejection from University of Kentucky Counseling center? I know it is coming, but trying to figure out if this is some waitlist thing, or just them being inconsiderate.

I’m pretty sure mine is on the way...but I’ve been expecting it, considering that their invites went out quite some time ago

Well I hope yours says that an interview was INDICATED rather than NOT indicated. Who indicated this? So technical. At least it made me laugh

Well I hope yours says that an interview was INDICATED rather than NOT indicated. Who indicated this? So technical. At least it made me laugh

Lmao well I’ll be sure to keep you updated on my indication status

Congrats on Kaiser SD! I almost applied there but didn't. Opted for Kaiser LA instead.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from KAISER LA?

Congrats to everyone who got CHOC interviews!! I didn't apply, but am very envious! I love that place hahah. Enjoy Orange County. Maybe even go to Disneyland :)

I haven't heard from Kaiser LA either.

Rejection

Just got this also, and was also highly amused.

I'm so sorry to add to the list of questions BUT has anyone else heard from rusk? I know a couple people have posted on here, but it seems like the last couple years they have taken a few days to get all decisions out. Trying to prepare for a rejection if need be...

Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Invite!!!!
12/7 Mass Email (Dear Applicant)
Interview Dates: 12/27, 1/5, 1/8, 1/12

This whole process is such an emotional rollercoaster :eek:

Anyone heard from Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center? I'm waiting to hear back from two programs still and just want this process to end!!!

Congrats to everyone getting invites today!!

Yup, my interview has not been indicated +pissed+

Reactions: 4 users
-Full Site Name: Duke University CAPS
-Track: N/A
-Invite or rejection: Rejection
-Date of Notification: 12/7/2017
-How You Were Notified: Mass email
-Interview Date(s): Don't know
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Not, really... I know #wandsite and stuff... but I really felt my experiences met point for point on what they were looking for and thought this was a good shot, so now I am very worried about other sites. Oh well. I'm telling myself that Duke was competitive and that's why?

tumblr_mw8zf4eghi1rwp329o1_500.gif

Providence Saint John's Child & Family Development Center
-Track N/A
-Rejection
-Date of Notification: 12/7
-How You Were Notified (personal email)

The Village for Families and Children
-Track N/A
-Invite!
-Date of Notification: 12/7
-How You Were Notified (personal email)
- Interview Dates: 1/8, 1/9, 1/11

Reactions: 3 users
2 rejections within 10 minutes of each other (Franciscan and Lurie).
Waiting on 7 more sites, 3 are sure to be rejections, and on a waiting list for another.
Optimism is fading, even though I have some interviews.

Sending good vibes everyone's way!

Anyone heard from Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center? I'm waiting to hear back from two programs still and just want this process to end!!!

Congrats to everyone getting invites today!!

Nope. And I have 10 more sites to hear from. TEN!!!!

Has anyone received rejections from Penn State/Hershey? I know invites went out but still radio silence over here...

PS. I also just received my "interview has not been indicated" letter from Lurie :laugh:. #notindicated

Yup, my interview has not been indicated +pissed+
I’m sorry! But welcome to the super exclusive not indicated club! #notindicated That’s going to be my new phrase. If someone asks me out, Sorry, a date with me is not indicated. If my advisor asks me to do something - Sorry, not indicated. I’ve lost it.

Reactions: 9 users
2 rejections within 10 minutes of each other (Franciscan and Lurie).
Waiting on 7 more sites, 3 are sure to be rejections, and on a waiting list for another.
Optimism is fading, even though I have some interviews.

Sending good vibes everyone's way!

Did you forget that you are Beyonce always???