2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-Full Site Name: Illinois State University Student Counseling Services
-Track: n/a (UCC)
-Invite!
-Date of Notification: 12/7
-How You Were Notified: Personalized email
-Interview Date(s): 1/2 - 1/10 via phone or onsite
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Puppies. And eternally grateful that UCC notifications are finally rolling out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
-Full Site Name: Duke University CAPS
-Track: N/A
-Invite or rejection: Rejection
-Date of Notification: 12/7/2017
-How You Were Notified: Mass email
-Interview Date(s): Don't know
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Not, really... I know #wandsite and stuff... but I really felt my experiences met point for point on what they were looking for and thought this was a good shot, so now I am very worried about other sites. Oh well. I'm telling myself that Duke was competitive and that's why?

tumblr_mw8zf4eghi1rwp329o1_500.gif
Ugh, sorry, friend. They're clearly missing out (too bad they don't know your SDN screen name, they wouldn't have been able to resist inviting you)
...has anyone gotten an INVITE from Duke CAPS?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, sorry, friend. They're clearly missing out (too bad they don't know your SDN screen name, they wouldn't have been able to resist inviting you)

I’m assuming that because it was a mass email to the list of people who were rejected that those who didn’t get the email got an invite.... YAY!

I'm so sorry to add to the list of questions BUT has anyone else heard from rusk? I know a couple people have posted on here, but it seems like the last couple years they have taken a few days to get all decisions out. Trying to prepare for a rejection if need be...

I received an invitation to their Child track this morning. Rusk traditionally rolls out personalized invites over several days, so hang in there! It might still be on its way! :)

Also, posting on behalf of a friend:
-Full Site Name: Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital
-Track: Peds
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Date of Notification: 12/7/2017 (afternoon EST)
-How You Were Notified: Phone Call
-Interview Date(s): Jan 31

Reactions: 5 users
I applied to Duke, and haven't heard anything, a cohort mate is in the same boat...

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone waiting to hear back from Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children's Hospital? Someone posted on 11/28 about receiving an invite to the neuro track. Anyone has news about the consultation/liaison track?

I'm so sorry to add to the list of questions BUT has anyone else heard from rusk? I know a couple people have posted on here, but it seems like the last couple years they have taken a few days to get all decisions out. Trying to prepare for a rejection if need be...

I received an invite via personal email yesterday, but I am adult/neuro so I am not sure about peds. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I applied to Duke, and haven't heard anything, a cohort mate is in the same boat...

Same here. Not sure if it means invites are forthcoming or if it means we've been placed in some weird alternate applicant limbo. If the refresh button thought I was hitting it a bunch before, it hasn't seen anything yet...

I'm waiting too. Good luck!! :xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone waiting to hear back from Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children's Hospital? Someone posted on 11/28 about receiving an invite to the neuro track. Anyone has news about the consultation/liaison track?
A few people at my school are interviewing there next week. So it’s safe to say that the December dates are filled .. fingers crossed for January invites ?

...and my amygdala just went berserk when I opened my inbox and saw an unread email...that I had just sent to myself.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A few people at my school are interviewing there next week. So it’s safe to say that the December dates are filled .. fingers crossed for January invites ?
Thanks! Figured, will now proceed to erase that last sliver of hope and put it in the most-likely-being-rejected pile.

...and my amygdala just went berserk when I opened my inbox and saw an unread email...that I had just sent to myself.

Hahahah!! I've totally done that.

Also, I'm literally trying to cram last min for a neuroanatomy final and just spent the last 2 minutes trying to find the damn amygdala on a coronal section and remembering where it is. Now I'll try to associate it with your post somehow and hope it sticks.

Huntington VAMC
General Track
Invite
Personalized email
1/8, 1/11, 1/22

Reactions: 8 users
I'm waiting too. Good luck!! :xf:

Me, too! I initially hoped that the lack of rejection meant that an invite was coming, but this appears to have happened to so many of us that now I'm doubtful...good luck to all of us!!

Is that... yep, that's rain on my parade Hawkeye!!! Most of the rest of the sites I'm waiting on are counseling centers, four of which do not interview in person (Washington State U, Montana State U, U of Colorado Wardenburg, and WVU Carruth Center for Counseling and Psych). Most of the others I'm waiting on are optional in terms of on-site interviews vs not.

I did my masters internship at Carruth, and I absolutely loved the psychologists there! Plus, they just built a new building a couple years ago, so the interns get their own new, shiny offices. Which after doing an office version of musical chairs as a practicum student, is a nice incentive.

Hahahah!! I've totally done that.

Also, I'm literally trying to cram last min for a neuroanatomy final and just spent the last 2 minutes trying to find the damn amygdala on a coronal section and remembering where it is. Now I'll try to associate it with your post somehow and hope it sticks.

Studying for a neuroanatomy final sounds so difficult right now. I am sending lots of positive energy to your prefrontal cortex and hippocampus!

Reactions: 4 users
Studying for a neuroanatomy final sounds so difficult right now. I am sending lots of positive energy to your prefrontal cortex and hippocampus!

lmao thank you! My memory sucks I've been studying all term for it daily. It's sadly the only thing keeping me distracted from internship stuff and am now kind of worried how I'll feel after I take my final tonight. Then it's back to obsessively refreshing!

I’m assuming that because it was a mass email to the list of people who were rejected that those who didn’t get the email got an invite.... YAY!

Maybe so. Hopefully for you and for all that applied and have not heard anything.

I'll just be in the corner holding my 3 invites for dear life while pretending not to cry over Duke. :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Edith Nourse Rogers VA in Bedford MA
Invite!
Personalized email today 12/7
Interview dates: Thursday 4th, Tuesday 9th, Thursday 11th, and Tuesday 16th.

-Full Site Name: Duke Medical
-Track: Adult CBT
-Invite or Rejection: Rejection
-Date of Notification: 12/7, late afternoon EST
-If/How Staying Sane: I became significantly less bummed when I realized this was from Duke Medical and not Duke CAPS :hilarious:

Me, too! I initially hoped that the lack of rejection meant that an invite was coming, but this appears to have happened to so many of us that now I'm doubtful...good luck to all of us!!

According to Duke CAPS's stats from the past three years, they've extended invites to 40 applicants each cycle...so I dunno...maybe it is as straightforward as a lack of a rejection indicating an invite?

In any event, my condolences to those who have already received a rejection, as well as to those of us who may be on our way to purgatory for the next several weeks, and wishes of good luck all around.

Last edited:

I don’t want to admit how often this has happened to me. This week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received rejections from Penn State/Hershey? I know invites went out but still radio silence over here...
Not yet :( I am just waiting for that rejection to come :/ A little part of me hopes for an alternate list situation but I know that's not really realistic.

Some of us are wondering, can you confirm this was an invite for the adult track at University of Illinois at Chicago Department of Psychiatry? Thanks!

Sorry, I’ve been offline a couple of days. Yes, I can confirm this was an invite to the adult track. Interview dates are Jan 12, 19, and 22.
Edit: It is in the Department of Psychiatry, as well.

Not yet :( I am just waiting for that rejection to come :/ A little part of me hopes for an alternate list situation but I know that's not really realistic.

Me too! You never know! It's not over until it's over :)

Anyone know anything regarding the Hamm Clinic in St. Paul, MN? General information as well as anything related to interviews would be appreciated. My partner is in the residency match this year and has had an interview at U of M. I've applied to a couple of sites in that area, but honestly Hamm is the best fit for me, and have had radio silence from all of them. Trying to keep our little family together if possible.

-Full Site Name: Suffolk University Counseling, Health, & Wellness Center
-Track: N/A
-Invite or Rejection: Invite!! :clap:
-Date of Notification: 12/7, late afternoon EST
-Interview Dates: Jan 2, 3, 4, 8, 9

Reactions: 6 users
The tally signatures was never meant to be an “in your face” thing. I started mine at 0 interviews and 0 rejections, and I saw folks whose tallies showed more rejections than interviews. I understand that it started to feel all celebratory to folks who are having a tough time but perception isn’t necessarily fact. The tally was data, a way of communication that seemed innocuous. I’ve heard you guys and like many others have taken mine down happily but please don’t make it more sinister than it was intended with your talk of being insensitive and mean spirtited cause that hurts and feels shaming Just my two cents. I wish all of you well and joy and interviews!

Late to this (wow this board is moving quick these days!! I step away for HALF a day and there's already several new pages!)

@HappyPhDHopeful I hope what I said didn't come across as personally attacking any of you that did have the tallies up! If it did, I apologize! I didn't mean that it was "sinister" in any way, it felt insensitive to me but I definitely understand that it wasn't purposeful or intended to make others feel bad for sure! But impact > intention... I think people can definitely be insensitive without meaning to or intending to (I know I have, and been called out for it in different situations), imo that's OK and human and we all learn from it :) Like others have said, I really appreciate all the discussion around this and people's thoughtful responses. I think this is a rare corner of the internet where civil, respectful conversation can happen (not to mention everyone's amazing support for each other here) which is most def NOT "what's wrong with the field of psychology" :confused: and actually pretty awesome :claps: :love:

Reactions: 6 users
Hey y'all - just to provide some balanced thoughts:

If you're feeling sensitive about the tallies right now, that is OKAY. It is also OKAY if you never considered that other people might feel sensitive about them and chose to use them! It's fine to ask for people to alter something because it's making you uncomfortable, with the recognition that they didn't mean to do that. I haven't seen anyone accuse anyone of being intentionally insensitive. And guys who have made that change - that was generous and thoughtful of you. Agreed that you did nothing wrong - and were gracious enough to change something that was upsetting others. Asking someone to make a change isn't "what's wrong with" psychology, nor is having scared/anxious/negative feelings around something likes this, even if they're mildly irrational. And I'm proud of everyone here for in general using this thread for support rather than catastrophizing! You're all awesome.

Yesss thank you @OpalinePhoenix, this is what I was trying to get across but you said it much better than I did! Agree 100%!

& Here's to many many invites for everyone the rest of this week :)

Hey forumfam! Got 2 (very clearly anxiety fueled) questions for ya:

1. For folks with invites to the Truman VA track at Missouri Health Sciences Consortium: have you received an email with information about interviews from the TD? When he called in November, he said he would send one in a couple weeks...just checking to make sure I havent missed it!

2. For Hampton VA IBH track invite folks: I completed the doodle poll but when I went back to double check the times for the date I had chosen (I think they differ from what she wrote in her email) the poll doesn’t show how I voted. Normal? Or did my phone crap out on me? (Would NOT be the first time, sigh).

So I was #ultimatedenvered today...

I got the invite to fill out usajobs application from BOP Ft Worth early this month, filled it out, and received the notification I passed on Monday 12/4 (yayayay!).
Got a call from "Ft Worth, TX" this morning (IT WAS HAPPENING), and I was greeted with the fact that I will not be offered an interview. They even gave reasons.
#ultimatedenvered

I got the invite to fill out usajobs application from BOP Ft Worth early this month, filled it out, and received the notification I passed on Monday 12/4 (yayayay!).
Got a call from "Ft Worth, TX" this morning (IT WAS HAPPENING), and I was greeted with the fact that I will not be offered an interview. They even gave reasons.
#ultimatedenvered
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a second: they CALLED you to tell you you WERE NOT being invited to interview and THEN GAVE REASONS?? Lord have mercy, I need to lay down on your behalf. That is....wow. So sorry, friend :(

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone heard from:
  • University of Washington
  • University of Oregon
  • Oregon State University
  • Ohio State University
  • University of Michigan
Good luck to everyone. I hope we all match!

1. For folks with invites to the Truman VA track at Missouri Health Sciences Consortium: have you received an email with information about interviews from the TD? When he called in November, he said he would send one in a couple weeks...just checking to make sure I havent missed it!

2. For Hampton VA IBH track invite folks: I completed the doodle poll but when I went back to double check the times for the date I had chosen (I think they differ from what she wrote in her email) the poll doesn’t show how I voted. Normal? Or did my phone crap out on me? (Would NOT be the first time, sigh).

I haven’t heard any follow up from the Truman va!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ultimatedenvered

I'm so sorry friend. That is the pits.
U R Beyonce always

tumblr_mnda6ounpF1so8sm2o1_500.gif

I'm so sorry friend. That is the pits.
U R Beyonce always

tumblr_mnda6ounpF1so8sm2o1_500.gif

You are killing me with this gif from my favorite show!! :rofl:

Speaking of our Lord and Savior, the Queen herself, I'm adding to my internship interview playlist and right now it's just 37 Beyonce songs and Rise Up by Andra Day hahahaa

Reactions: 4 users

I'm scheduled to interview for the Truman VA track at the MHSC as well and also have not received follow-up info yet. I've noticed that some sites wait longer than others to do this, which can sometimes be anxiety provoking for sure. One site didn't send info about interview day until about a week ahead of time for one that's scheduled next week. :eyebrow:

You are killing me with this gif from my favorite show!! :rofl:

Speaking of our Lord and Savior, the Queen herself, I'm adding to my internship interview playlist and right now it's just 37 Beyonce songs and Rise Up by Andra Day hahahaa

P R A I S E

#ultimatedenvered

I get the intent there and it’s nice but
This is by far the worst I’ve heard yet
Talk about soul crushing

Has anyone heard from:
  • University of Washington
  • University of Oregon
  • Oregon State University
  • Ohio State University
  • University of Michigan
Gracias! Good luck to everyone. I hope we all match!

I'm waiting on both of the OSUs as well. Ohio State University sent out an 'application received' confirmation a while back with their notification and interview information, but other than that, I've heard nothing.

I'm waiting on both of the OSUs as well. Ohio State University sent out an 'application received' confirmation a while back with their notification and interview information, but other than that, I've heard nothing.
I'm also waiting on Ohio State. Nothing since that weird initial email.

#ultimatedenvered
Holy ****. I mean, chances were already pretty good that I was never going to answer an unscreened call again because that's just who I am as a person, but this definitely seals it.

Reactions: 8 users
-Full Site Name: Illinois State University Student Counseling Services
-Track: n/a (UCC)
-Invite!
-Date of Notification: 12/7
-How You Were Notified: Personalized email
-Interview Date(s): 1/2 - 1/10 via phone or onsite
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Puppies. And eternally grateful that UCC notifications are finally rolling out!

MEEEEE TOOO!

Ignore me. I tried to edit my above post, but I'm not very smart. :p