2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by ForTheLoveOfPsych, Nov 1, 2017.

1. PsyGal192

I have a question for yalll. I'm currently at a VA as a practicum student and they are opening up their first ever internship program to which I applied. It would be absolutely INSANE if they did not invite me since I am there right now and the TD there has great rapport with me. Problem is since it's a brand new site- the site is trying to get APA on contingency accreditation by May. If that goes through that's fine since graduating from a place that's APA on contingency means you walk away saying you went to an APA site. My issue is if it does not get accredited. This is a screenshot of what they said we are eligible for if that happens. I ultimately want a post doc in neuro and this would be shoe in technically. What do you guys think/would you take this? (I am geographically restricted with 7 rejections out of 16 sites so far, no invites).

Thank you so much #forumfam!!!

#4251 PsyGal192, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    lucyduckfriend likes this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thisgirl

Psychology Student
    Anyone know if CHOC has been known to do rolling?
    It was a a personalized email so maybe?
    Trying to decide how much to accept incoming rejection

4. slaney

Psychology Student
    You can basically go on her Spotify page, copy half her library, and then add in the Andra Day song hahaha. Lemonade is in my iTunes library, so I basically have 2 internship (read: Beyonce) playlists in 2 different places hahah

ellabelle46 and brainstew like this.
  5. eventualphd

Psychology Student
    -Full Site Name: Lake Forest College Health and Wellness Center
    -Track: n/a (UCC)
    -Invite!
    -Date of Notification: 12/7
    -How You Were Notified: mass email
    -Interview Date(s): 1/3, 1/5, 1/8 onsite
    -If & How You’re Staying Sane: Breathe, [wine,] pet dogs, [wine,] breathe, [wine,] repeat. Just breath and dogs...

6. OpalinePhoenix

Psychology Student
    Totally get being nervous about this. However, a few thoughts:

1. You have 8 other places (not counting that one) to hear back from still! There is a lot that could happen, so don't count your chickens, etc. Plus, even if you end up ranking that place, WHO KNOWS where you'll match with.

2. THAT SAID, I would be weighing the same options if I were you, too. And it looks like given that you want to be in the area, if you ended up there for a postdoc, that would be a pretty sweet option for you. Seems like it would be worth ranking them, especially since until the ranking deadline, nothing is set in stone.

7. slaney

Psychology Student
    I'm sorry, this is too good not to share:
    I have a friend interviewing at the San Antonio VA and it is SNOWING there. In SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS. The TD mass texted everyone saying she'd keep them all posted regarding any changes to the schedule given the risk of black ice. So now everyone is responding to the text and my poor friend is getting all these mass texts from fellow applicants, second guessing everything she herself sends in the group text ("is this okay? should I put an emoji, or is that unprofessional"), and she just texted me "this is what hell is like" and I am dyinggggggg :lol: Bless her heart, I know it must be torture for her, but this is just hilarious :rofl:

8. Psyched1515

Psychology Student
    I haven’t gotten anything either. I’ve pretty much written it off as a rejection, but knowing they are slow rolling them out is driving me insane.

9. affectiveH3art

Psychology Student
    I'm curious...if I haven't heard from a site and they sent out invitations weeks ago (e.g. Texas Children's-Baylor/Eastern Virginia Medical School/Boston Medical-Multicultural/Univ. of Florida Health/UCSD-VA San Diego) should I just anticipate rejection? Has that been everyone's experience? THoughts?

10. PTSDbey

I was told by a professor to consider it rejection, but I know people have different thoughts on this one! Seems to somewhat site specific too.

ellabelle46 likes this.
  11. Rey2017

MD/PhD Student
    Got a phone call halfway through a session (vibrating in my pocket), tried my best to remain calm and act natural until the client left. I really need to put my phone in airplane mode because that was way too hard. Was met with great news, two invites!

University of Houston-Clear Lake; Counseling Services
    -Invite
    -Date of Notification: 12/7/17
    -How You Were Notified - Personal Email
    -Interview Date(s) - December 18th and 19th and January 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, and 10th

Texas A&M University/Student Counseling Service
    Invite
    12/7/17
    Phone call
    Jan 8th and 12th

12. aspiretobe

Pre-Medical
    Missed call from a number with an area code from one of the sites I haven't heard from.

*see's the number, heart starts to flutter, face feels warm*

Me: Hello?
    Phone: Hi! This is Julie from rewards redemption! You recently visited our site.....

......... #Denvered

13. affectiveH3art

Psychology Student
    Ya - I'm debating the site specific one because the UCSD/SD VA has like 20 tracks (give or take) so I don't know if the invites were for all tracks or specific to one track.

OpalinePhoenix likes this.
  14. spritepepsi

MD/PhD Student
    Y'all. I have a missed call from an unknown number at 4:46. I didn’t want to get my hopes up, especially because there was no voicemail, but then my roommate was like “is your voicemail full?” AND IT WAS.
    DO YOU THINK IT WAS THEM?
    I’M AN IDIOT.
    WILL THEY CALL BACK?
    I’M CRY.

15. OpalinePhoenix

Psychology Student
    For some reason this was especially entertaining. I think the combination of physical symptoms experienced and freaking telemarketers.

aspiretobe likes this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. OpalinePhoenix

Psychology Student
    Definitely Google the number that called.

18. ForTheLoveOfPsych

Psychology Student
    Same....

PrincessOfGenovia likes this.
  19. spritepepsi

MD/PhD Student
    I can’t :( the number doesn’t show up.

20. KeepCalm&PsychOn

GOOD FOR YOU FOR ASKING WHY! I just said "oh okay." I too appreciate the intent, but that one hurt... hurt a lot

ellabelle46 and bigdreamer3 like this.
  21. eventualphd

Psychology Student
    THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE. Maybe, email the TD and be all, "my voicemail got full, I am aware you made calls. I'm so very sorry if you attempted to call me and I wasn't able to connect with you. If you did not, please accept my apologies and disregard this email. I also apologize if you found this email presumptuous, I am just very interested in interviewing at your site." I might wait until after 11am tomorrow, though, to give them a chance to try you again?

Then, in the interview, when they ask "tell us about a time you made a mistake and how you handled it," you can be all, "THIS ONE TIME YOU CALLED ME FOR AN INTERVIEW AND I WAS HARD AT WORK AND MY VOICEMAIL WAS FULL BUT I'M HERE, AREN'T I SO I'LL TAKE THAT #1 RANK STATUS NOW, THANK YOU."

Edit:
    This is a super non-committal answer because it's maybe what I would do but also I have no idea because it's such a hard situation and EMOTIONS.

22. PedPsychPhD

Psychology Student
    I feel like if it was a site calling to offer you an invite, they will call you again tomorrow. Now go clean out your VM!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellabelle46 and onwardsandup like this.
  23. thisgirl

Psychology Student
    I would call back!
    But then again I’ve called back a few telemarketers lately haha

BP0322 and OpalinePhoenix like this.
  24. PedPsychPhD

Psychology Student
    I have no legitimate idea BUT I’m anticipating a rejection from Baylor. Several of us got rejected from Lurie today & they had sent out invites awhile ago. I think this might be site specific though. I feel like I’ve seen at least one of these (EVMS?) send invites in waves? Maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. bigdreamer3

Psychology Student
    I think I get it now, after checking in with some other people who got interviews/know the system. The number of invited applicants for usajobs who successfully completed it must have exceeded their allotted number of interview spots, whereas typically enough people are weeded out for it to be a nonissue. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

ellabelle46 likes this.
  26. affectiveH3art

Psychology Student
    This is such a freaking crapshoot. Dang I was excited for the Texas Children/Baylor one - I used to work for Baylor Medical School in Neuroscience. Crapola.

Dis sucks. Let's hope I was waitlisted or that I get rejections soon so I know. Disappointed. :wtf:

27. Hawkeye11

And then call from a different phone and block the number, just for good measure.

OpalinePhoenix likes this.
  28. ProfessionalStudent5

Psychology Student
    I haven’t heard from EVMS yet either and I know they already sent out invites. I also saw that some people received rejections as well. I’m emailing them tomorrow.

29. affectiveH3art

Psychology Student
    Ya I saw that. That's why I am confused. Like can I just get my rejection already if that's what it is already!

30. affectiveH3art

Psychology Student
    Keep us posted on how they respond.

ProfessionalStudent5 likes this.
  31. slaney

Psychology Student
    But really, I paid for that rejection, just go ahead and give it to me, already!

32. affectiveH3art

Psychology Student
    Haha! Good point! That's an expensive rejection. Not to mention the time invested in that rejection.

Neurogoals and OpalinePhoenix like this.
  33. ImSkyKid

Psychology Student
    So on the voicemail they left for me, they said they will send out emails tomorrow. If it was them, I don’t think they’d change their mind just because your voicemail was full. Hopefully you get an email tomorrow and are back on here celebrating!

34. eventualphd

Psychology Student
    Ooo a follow up email! Everything is okay! Nothing is ruined!

But the important question*: was the call from an "UNKNOWN" or blocked number, or did the number show up?

*To clarify, I did NOT apply to this site, I'm just overly invested in this scenario. Nothing to see here.

35. ImSkyKid

Psychology Student
    I can confirm: it was from an unknown number.

Edit: also, they did not leave a call back number. Just said there will be an email with all the interview info.

36. Burning_magnesium

Psychology Student
    MEDVAMC (Houston VA)
    -Rejection
    -Date of Notification: 12/7/17
    -How You Were Notified - mass email

Loma Linda University School Of Medicine
    Invite!!!!!!!!!
    12/7/17
    Mass email
    Jan 16,17,18

Wooohooooo!!! So excited about LLUSOM!!!!

37. PsychicKat

Pre-Psychology
    Just to help ease your mind. I got a call today, my voicemail was full and they sent me a nice email to have me call them. :) don’t fret too much ♥️

38. drspych2019

Congratulations!! What track was this for? I'm still waiting to hear from them...

coreconditions likes this.
  39. AlwaysPsyched

Psychology Student
    I know that for APA site accreditation they have to be APPIC accredited for I want to say 2 years (not 100% on that) because they have to submit outcome data for the internship program as a part of their self-study. Usually, VAs don't care as long as your internship was at a VA, but you can't get board certified unless your internship is APA accredited.

40. drxa

Psychology Student
    I'm in limbo for Boston Med CMTP too, but their interview was today so I put that in my "rejected" list earlier this week. :( But the others may not necessarily be rejections! I've been seeing people here get invites out of limbo, so at least at some places the waitlist is real!

41. happyamber8

RE: Boston Med CMTP
    I thought I was rejected, too. But I received a personalized invite last week and know from a former intern that the interviews are "rolling" throughout December and January. It ain't over 'til it's over!

ellabelle46 and lucyduckfriend like this.
  42. affectiveH3art

Psychology Student
    Oh that’s good news! Keep you’re fingers and toes crossed for me!!!!!! Puhleeze!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

43. FeeltheFeels

first interview for UNI tomorrow and feeling nervous.. but then I wrote it out as “uni” and decided to think about unicorns instead! Highly effective.

44. Juniper 2018

MD/PhD Student
    I have heard UNI is an excellent internship site! Good Luck!

[​IMG]

45. PsyGal192

Thanks for the insight I hadn't thought of that! I actually looked it up on the american board of professional psychology and they state for clinical neuropsych you do not need the internship/postdoc to be accredited, however if you come from a place that is not accredited you just need to show that you had the equivalent experience which obviously makes it more tough but not impossible.

46. PsyGal192

Hey thanks for the feedback! You are so right, I have about a week left to hear back from my 8 other places so I just need to chill out and be patient in this process before making any decisions. Thank you so much :D

47. m0chicheeks

Psychology Student
    I haven't, but I'm also curious!

48. m0chicheeks

Psychology Student
    Kaiser Permanente Medical Care, Los Angeles
    Rejection x__x lol
    12/7/17 via mass email

49. Hawkeye11

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

50. drxa

Psychology Student
    Wait really???! Based on the front page here it seemed like they only have one interview date that already passed! That's great news!

*Edit to add: thank you for giving us hope and congrats on your invite!

#4298 drxa, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    ellabelle46 likes this.
  51. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist
    Moderator Psychologist Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Psychologist
    From what I'm seeing, it looks like they're planning on applying by the date listed. Even if approved, the accreditation is retroactive only to the date of the site visit, not to the date of the application for accreditation. I don't know the review and site visit cycles off-hand, but if the site hasn't already submitted their application materials, I'd say it seems unlikely they'd receive a site visit by May. However, if they submit their materials by May, the likelihood of them receiving a site visit during the following year (while interns are present) seems high.

Having a non-APA accredited internship for neuro will generally hurt a postdoc application, and it's likely to outright disqualify a person from some positions. The geographic restriction will also be tough. However, it being at a new VA site does help, as you'd still be eligible for VA postdocs, and others that have a "soft" requirement for accreditation may be able to make an exception. It's less common nowadays, but it's certainly still possible for someone with a non-accredited internship at a new VA site to go on to postdoc and board certification.

ellabelle46 likes this.
  52. PTSDbey

Yea that was one of my top choices, but I saw someone post way back about the 3 tracks I listed so I consider it rejection. I know a lot of folks aren’t on this forum or got off it (cuz anxiety increases) so there’s a lot that’s not being listed here. You gotta do what’s best for u as far as whether to consider it still in the game or not!