2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totally get being nervous about this. However, a few thoughts:

1. You have 8 other places (not counting that one) to hear back from still! There is a lot that could happen, so don't count your chickens, etc. Plus, even if you end up ranking that place, WHO KNOWS where you'll match with.

2. THAT SAID, I would be weighing the same options if I were you, too. And it looks like given that you want to be in the area, if you ended up there for a postdoc, that would be a pretty sweet option for you. Seems like it would be worth ranking them, especially since until the ranking deadline, nothing is set in stone.

Hey thanks for the feedback! You are so right, I have about a week left to hear back from my 8 other places so I just need to chill out and be patient in this process before making any decisions. Thank you so much :D

Members don't see this ad.

Kaiser Permanente Medical Care, Los Angeles
Rejection x__x lol
12/7/17 via mass email

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
first interview for UNI tomorrow and feeling nervous.. but then I wrote it out as “uni” and decided to think about unicorns instead! Highly effective.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

RE: Boston Med CMTP
I thought I was rejected, too. But I received a personalized invite last week and know from a former intern that the interviews are "rolling" throughout December and January. It ain't over 'til it's over!
Wait really???! Based on the front page here it seemed like they only have one interview date that already passed! That's great news!

*Edit to add: thank you for giving us hope and congrats on your invite!

Last edited:
I have a question for yalll. I'm currently at the Mather VA in Sacramento as a practicum student and they are opening up their first ever internship program to which I applied. It would be absolutely INSANE if they did not invite me since I am there right now and the TD there has great raport with me. Problem is since it's a brand new site- the site is trying to get APA on contingency accreditation by May. If that goes through that's fine since graduating from a place that's APA on contingency means you walk away saying you went to an APA site. My issue is if it does not get accredited. This is a screenshot of what they said we are eligble for if that happens. I ultimately want a post doc in neuro and this would be shoe in technically. What do you guys think/would you take this? (I am geographically restricted with 7 rejections out of 16 sites so far, no invites).

Thank you so much #forumfam!!!

From what I'm seeing, it looks like they're planning on applying by the date listed. Even if approved, the accreditation is retroactive only to the date of the site visit, not to the date of the application for accreditation. I don't know the review and site visit cycles off-hand, but if the site hasn't already submitted their application materials, I'd say it seems unlikely they'd receive a site visit by May. However, if they submit their materials by May, the likelihood of them receiving a site visit during the following year (while interns are present) seems high.

Having a non-APA accredited internship for neuro will generally hurt a postdoc application, and it's likely to outright disqualify a person from some positions. The geographic restriction will also be tough. However, it being at a new VA site does help, as you'd still be eligible for VA postdocs, and others that have a "soft" requirement for accreditation may be able to make an exception. It's less common nowadays, but it's certainly still possible for someone with a non-accredited internship at a new VA site to go on to postdoc and board certification.

Ya - I'm debating the site specific one because the UCSD/SD VA has like 20 tracks (give or take) so I don't know if the invites were for all tracks or specific to one track.
Yea that was one of my top choices, but I saw someone post way back about the 3 tracks I listed so I consider it rejection. I know a lot of folks aren’t on this forum or got off it (cuz anxiety increases) so there’s a lot that’s not being listed here. You gotta do what’s best for u as far as whether to consider it still in the game or not!

Thanks for the insight I hadn't thought of that! I actually looked it up on the american board of professional psychology and they state for clinical neuropsych you do not need the internship/postdoc to be accredited, however if you come from a place that is not accredited you just need to show that you had the equivalent experience which obviously makes it more tough but not impossible.

Oh interesting! I wasn’t aware of this for neuro. TIL :)

EDIT: Words are hard without coffee.

Last edited:
Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial VA
General Outpatient
Invite!
Personal email on 12/8 around 8:30am EST
Interview dates to rank: 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/16

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Yea that was one of my top choices, but I saw someone post way back about the 3 tracks I listed so I consider it rejection. I know a lot of folks aren’t on this forum or got off it (cuz anxiety increases) so there’s a lot that’s not being listed here. You gotta do what’s best for u as far as whether to consider it still in the game or not!

I’m just going to hope I’m still in the running....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Long Beach college counseling...I know people got invites (I have not) and my cohort got a rejection yesterday...anyone else still waiting for them? I have pretty much counted them out...

Has anyone heard from
Mt. Washington Ped Hospital
Rutgers Biomedical
Cambridge Health Alliance

Has anyone heard from
Rutgers Biomedical
Still waiting on Rutgers biomedical adult track, some cohort members of mine got interviews for the forensic track a while ago, hoping this doesn't mean bad news for us!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on Rutgers biomedical adult track, some cohort members of mine got interviews for the forensic track a while ago, hoping this doesn't mean bad news for us!
ok. I am waiting on the child track. if anything it should happen today or by next week, latest. Wish us all good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Mount Sinai Department of Rehabilitation Medicine (Icahn school of Medicine)
Track n/a
Invite!
Personalized mass email on 12/8
Interview dates to rank: 1/18, 1/19, 1/22, 1/26, 1/30, 2/2

Reactions: 11 users
Ya - I'm debating the site specific one because the UCSD/SD VA has like 20 tracks (give or take) so I don't know if the invites were for all tracks or specific to one track.
The mass email myself and others got from UCSD/SD VA was not site specific, if that helps at all!

giphy.gif

Me as I keep refreshing my email waiting to hear about a program that set their notification deadline today. It's the last one I'm waiting to hear back from and I just want to have my schedule set so I can move onto the next phase of this.

Can't believe this phase is almost over for those of us with 12/15 notification deadlines. SOON WE WILL BE FREE!!

Has anyone else heard from University of Illinois at Chicago Department of Psychiatry - Adult Track? I've seen at least one person post their invite, but typically a few people post and I haven't seen any rejections? Trying to get a feel with what's going on with this one!

Mount Sinai Department of Rehabilitation Medicine (Icahn school of Medicine)
Track n/a
Invite!
Personalized mass email on 12/8
Interview dates to rank: 1/18, 1/19, 1/22, 1/26, 1/30, 2/2

They rejected me and I'm super sad about it. Tell them that I regret nothing.

I can confirm: it was from an unknown number.

Edit: also, they did not leave a call back number. Just said there will be an email with all the interview info.
I can confirm I had the same experience (didn’t answer bc who answers unknown numbers???) and they said they’d follow up via email without leaving a call back number. Fingers crossed it was them and you get an email today!!

I haven't seen this track on the forum yet, but does anyone have clues from friends or colleagues about the California Pacific Medical Center Administration Track? Thanks in advance!

I can confirm I had the same experience (didn’t answer bc who answers unknown numbers???) and they said they’d follow up via email without leaving a call back number. Fingers crossed it was them and you get an email today!!

Do you know if the dates Jan. 8th and 12th are open houses or are those potential in-person interview dates? I was confused about this one!

Has anyone heard from
Rutgers Biomedical
My friend and I got an invite from Mt. Washington the week before thanksgiving. 1 for the peds psych track and 1 for peds neuro. but i have no idea if they are rolling or not!

I haven't seen this track on the forum yet, but does anyone have clues from friends or colleagues about the California Pacific Medical Center Administration Track? Thanks in advance!
I’m waiting for this one too, and I haven’t heard anything.

Do you know if the dates Jan. 8th and 12th are open houses or are those potential in-person interview dates? I was confused about this one!
My guess is both - I think historically they offer optional on site interviews during open houses, otherwise you can elect to do Skype interviews

My guess is both - I think historically they offer optional on site interviews during open houses, otherwise you can elect to do Skype interviews

Whenever places offer optional in-person it makes me wonder if the in-person would end up making a better impression. There is another university that offers optional phone interviews or in-person and they said it won't influence their ranking of you either way, but I still can't help but wonder!

Has anyone heard from
Rutgers Biomedical
Still waiting on CHA. Last year they sent out their mass invites on the 8th, so I’ve been refreshing my email a ton! Hope we hear good news today!

Has anybody heard from UT-Health Science Center in Houston? The notification is today and I am a cucumber of anxiety!

C_x-P0pXYAAe5Ll.jpg

url

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Site Name: Georgia State Counseling Center
Rejection
Date of notification - 12/8
Personalized-ish email

Still waiting on Rutgers and CHA as well. I know some people from my cohort heard from Rutgers but Im not sure what track.

Rutgers biomedical correctional track is different from the Rutgers behavioral health care forensic track... But they have almost identical names. Do you know which it was?

I saw this and started crying. Not laughter crying, like sad and ugly crying. I think maybe all this rejection is getting to me more than I realize.

Oh no! I trying to stay hopeful as much as possible, although it can be challenging! Let's keep our fingers crossed! Sending you good vibes <3

They rejected me and I'm super sad about it. Tell them that I regret nothing.

They rejected me as well. Which is funny bc Im at Mount Sinai in another department. Not sure whether to ugly cry, feel insulted or suspect that there is some beef between the two supervisors that probs has nothing to do with me.

12 our of 24 rejections and obviously no invites apparently I am the most garbage of all candidates! I can’t do phase I. I have officially given up and am expeciting no interviews and anxiously awaiting phase II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 our of 24 rejections and obviously no invites apparently I am the most garbage of all candidates! I can’t do phase I. I have officially given up and am expeciting no interviews and anxiously awaiting phase II

First off, as someone who also regularly refers to themselves as trash, you have to ditch that vibe. You are not a garbage candidate. You’ve gotten this far as a doctoral student, likely contributing in many ways to this field through your efforts and brilliance. As I’ve learned to accept from the kind souls here, these interviews do not speak accurately to your abilities our your skill set. Acceptances and rejections are constructed from several judgments, oftentimes integrating things that are out of your control.

As someone who also applied to 20+ sites, I’ve been lambasted with rejections. I’m fortunate to have some interviews, but I’ve been told for weeks now with rejections that “I just don’t have what they’re looking for.” In the end, that’s ok, because something that fits for me and a prospective site will come to fruition. And the same thing will happen with you. You’ve still got 12 sites to go, and plenty of room and time to work with.

Keep your head up, and know it’ll get better. You’ve got this, and you are definitely not garbage.

Reactions: 20 users
Site name: University of Pennsylvania Counseling and Psychological Services
Invite or Rejection: Invite
Notification: 12/8 via email
Interview dates: 12/18; 12/19; 12/20; 1/3; 1/4; 1/5; 1/8 with Skype options

First off, as someone who also regularly refers to themselves as trash, you have to ditch that vibe. You are not a garbage candidate. You’ve gotten this far as a doctoral student, likely contributing in many ways to this field through your efforts and brilliance. As I’ve learned to accept from the kind souls here, these interviews do not speak accurately to your abilities our your skill set. Acceptances and rejections are constructed from several judgments, oftentimes integrating things that are out of your control.

As someone who also applied to 20+ sites, I’ve been lambasted with rejections. I’m fortunate to have some interviews, but I’ve been told for weeks now with rejections that “I just don’t have what they’re looking for.” In the end, that’s ok, because something that fits for me and a prospective site will come to fruition. And the same thing will happen with you. You’ve still got 12 sites to go, and plenty of room and time to work with.

Keep your head up, and know it’ll get better. You’ve got this, and you are definitely not garbage.

Thanks just really hard to keep your head up with no interviews. I guess that is what phase II is for.

Has anyone heard from Denver Health non HRSA track?

Same question! Also, has anyone heard from Hawaii Psychology Internship Consortium? Their stated notification deadline is TODAY. Of course, it's currently 7am there.

I'm afraid to ask... but has anyone heard from Harvard Medical/Children's Hospital Boston? I know that a lot of Harvard Med sites have notified, but I haven't seen anything from that site yet.

Site Name: Eastern Virginia Medical School Clinical Psychology Internship Program
Rejection - finally
Date of notification - 12/8/17
General/mass email
Keeping sane? Uhh the fact I am behind on clinical notes/reports/scoring is an indication that I'm starting to worry about my last sites. I hope they aren't all rejections. :scared:

Well at least I know. I'm feeling pretty crummy about the last 7 that I am waiting on. Come on Graduate Gods...I promise I will be good. +pity+

Hello, ForumFam!

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Usually, everyone posts the invites/rejections before I even get to my email, but these happened this morning and I haven't seen them yet.

Site name: FMC Fort Worth
Notification: They called many times yesterday while I was at work but did not leave a message, and then I got an email this morning around 11 am EST. It appeared personal (addressed by name).
Interview dates: 12/13 (!), 12/20, 1/8, 1/10, 1/19, 1/25

Site name: Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo
Invite or Rejection: Reeeeeejection
Notification: 12/8 via mass email, around 10 am EST
Staying Sane? As much as possible with this process.

Good luck to all, see you out there :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Mt. Sinai-Icahn (honestly can't remember the full name)
Rejection
Mass email on 12/8

Feeling very grateful for my 4 interviews with a tinge of sadness and anxiety.

I'm afraid to ask... but has anyone heard from Harvard Medical/Children's Hospital Boston? I know that a lot of Harvard Med sites have notified, but I haven't seen anything from that site yet.
Do you know which Harvard sites sent their invites?

Yes, I actually just heard.

Site name: Boston Children's Hospital/ Harvard Medical
Invite or rejection: Rejection
Notification: 12/8 email ("dear applicant")
Staying sane: Wasn't expecting an invite here, so that wasn't too harsh. But this process is a constant cycle of acceptance, denial, pity, repeat.

Site name: University of Pennsylvania Counseling and Psychological Services
Notification: 12/8 via email
Interview dates: 12/18; 12/19; 12/20; 1/3; 1/4; 1/5; 1/8 with Skype options

Same!!!

Reactions: 4 users
So on the voicemail they left for me, they said they will send out emails tomorrow. If it was them, I don’t think they’d change their mind just because your voicemail was full. Hopefully you get an email tomorrow and are back on here celebrating!

I got it.

zdHxbF1.gif

Reactions: 16 users