2018-2019 University of South Carolina - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a deposit required to hold your spot in the class? I was just emailed the "Acceptance Packet" but it didn't mention anything about a deposit.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a deposit required to hold your spot in the class? I was just emailed the "Acceptance Packet" but it didn't mention anything about a deposit.
yeah there's a $250 deposit i think. should be mentioned in the packet you get in the mail.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hear anything recently? Or do you all think they are done until the spring?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interested in sharing their thought process for choosing one South Carolina MD school over the other two? Applicants and current students welcome! Looking for pros and cons of each (against each other, not nationally)

Anyone know if there would be any movement prior to the waitlist coming out? I interviewed in October and got the "continued to be evaluated" letter.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if there would be any movement prior to the waitlist coming out? I interviewed in October and got the "continued to be evaluated" letter.
The waitlist doesn't come out till march right?

Accepted this morning ! Interviewed 12/19

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know the odds of getting on the waitlist from the "continuing to evaluate" position?

Hey ya'll! Great news. I am hiring some instructors for an MCAT class around Columbia. If you want to make some cash while you wait for your glorious II to roll through, shoot me a DM with your email and we'll get things rolling.

Anyone know the odds of getting on the waitlist from the "continuing to evaluate" position?
It's about a 15% chance. They usually interview about 400 applicants (it might be more this cycle. I know they opened up a couple additional weeks of interviews this year and were asking students to volunteer to help out) and 50-75 are put on the waitlist. I interviewed in January last year, got the "continue to be reviewed" letter, and then was on the waitlist. Just do everything you can to make it to the waitlist because then your chances shoot up depending on what third you're in. For example, I was in the top third, and according to the past few years, it's been 100% acceptance. Good luck!!

Last edited:
It's about a 15% chance. They usually interview about 400 applicants (it might be more this cycle. I know they opened up a couple additional weeks of interviews this year and were asking students to volunteer to help out) and 50-75 are put on the waitlist. I interviewed in February last year, got the "continue to be reviewed" letter, and then was on the waitlist. Just do everything you can to make it to the waitlist because then your chances shoot up depending on what third you're in. For example, I was in the top third, and according to the past few years, it's been 100% acceptance. Good luck!!
Thank you!! So you ended up getting accepted from the top third?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! So you ended up getting accepted from the top third?
Yes! The top third is truly where you want to be; everyone gets accepted. The middle third still has a good chance but movement is so slow. I'm pretty sure when I was researching other forums, they've made it into the bottom third for the past few years but they have never cleared the whole waitlist.

Yes! The top third is truly where you want to be; everyone gets accepted. The middle third still has a good chance but movement is so slow. I'm pretty sure when I was researching other forums, they've made it into the bottom third for the past few years but they have never cleared the whole waitlist.

So they tell you where you stand on the waitlist?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted today! IS, LM 68, interviewed 1/16. Really quick turnaround!

Reactions: 2 users
OOS, but went to USC for undergrad. Interviewed 1/16 but haven't heard anything back yet.

Last edited:
OOS, but went to USC for undergrad (graduated 2015, this is my first time applying). Interviewed 1/16/19 but haven't heard anything back yet.
I interviewed in October OOS and I haven’t heard back either. There’s a preference for in state from what I can surmise.

I interviewed in October OOS and I haven’t heard back either. There’s a preference for in state from what I can surmise.

Yeah I hear ya. I know they take preference to in state, Im just hoping they will at least tell me soon whether they are continuing to evaluate or not given that they said they would let us know something a week after the interview.

Yeah I hear ya. I know they take preference to in state, Im just hoping they will at least tell me soon whether they are continuing to evaluate or not given that they said they would let us know something a week after the interview.

Did you not receive a letter in the mail?

Not that I’m aware of

It may just take a little while I believe my letter took until the next Friday. I'd say no news is good news. Does anyone know if there is a difference between a letter that says highly rated and just a regular letter that does not mention highly rated? (other than the obvious)

I actually just checked the mail and a handwritten letter/postcard was in there from one of my interviewers. Doesn’t say “highly rated” specifically

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I actually just checked the mail and a handwritten letter/postcard was in there from one of my interviewers. Doesn’t say “highly rated” specifically

You may also get an official letter, that is the one I received when they said I am still in consideration. Or you may get an email to call them, I do not believe they have started rejecting people yet, but I may be wrong.

You were correct. I did receive an official letter today that did say “highly rated” so I guess I am still under consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
It seems that if you are accepted then you will find out a few days after interview and if you are "under consideration" then you'll get an official letter in the mail a week later. Agree?

Has anyone heard anything back that interviewed on 1/23/19?

Does everyone receive the "under consideration" letter after their interview if they are not accepted? I interviewed last year and received a rejection letter after my interview but there hasn't been any real posts of rejection post interview here.

Does everyone receive the "under consideration" letter after their interview if they are not accepted? I interviewed last year and received a rejection letter after my interview but there hasn't been any real posts of rejection post interview here.
Does appear to be the case although I would imagine that rejections are underrepresented on SDN though.

Does anyone know if you can submit updates to this school? I have been unable to find any links online but hesitate to send an email; I am sure their admissions committee has hundreds of emails to filter through each day.

Does anyone know if you can submit updates to this school? I have been unable to find any links online but hesitate to send an email; I am sure their admissions committee has hundreds of emails to filter through each day.
You just send them to the admissions coordinator. They accept updates, and apparently like them a lot. Good luck I hope you hear soon!

Is there a facebook group for admitted students?

Sorry to double post, but anyone hear back yet? I heard we'd hear within a week and its been over a week now...just scared a lil haha

Anyone hear anything lately? Seems like acceptances are handed out a couple days after the interview.

The only thing I've heard from them is that I'm continuing to be evaluated... but nothing more!

Hey how long did it take for you to hear back after your interview? And how did they end up contacting you to tell you that you were going to continue to be evaluated?

Just withdrew my acceptance! Best of luck to the rest of you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey how long did it take for you to hear back after your interview? And how did they end up contacting you to tell you that you were going to continue to be evaluated?
I received a letter in the mail about a week and a half later! This was an additional form of communication from the postcard I received from one of my interviewers.

Hey did anyone get an email about financial aid after they submitted their fafsa before they received acceptance?

Hey did anyone get an email about financial aid after they submitted their fafsa before they received acceptance?
I’m still on continue to evaluate status but had my FAFSA sent to usc a few months ago and received an email saying I had incomplete information or something even though I haven’t been accepted.