2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just crunched some numbers on the 1.1:1 ratio of residency spots.

For the c/o 2022, Texas has a total of 2023 med students across the state. 154 of those are at UIWSOM. If we assume the 1.1:1 ratio, then that means 184 students will not get a residency in Texas. That's much bigger than the entire class at UIW. I think it's fair to assume that we'd also receive some sort of preferential consideration.

Also what @Cheese Machine quoted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone attending "admitted day" here in a few days?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just crunched some numbers on the 1.1:1 ratio of residency spots.

For the c/o 2022, Texas has a total of 2023 med students across the state. 154 of those are at UIWSOM. If we assume the 1.1:1 ratio, then that means 184 students will not get a residency in Texas. That's much bigger than the entire class at UIW. I think it's fair to assume that we'd also receive some sort of preferential consideration.

Also what @Cheese Machine quoted.

I think you might have the ratio backwards. It is a 1.1:1 ratio of residency spots per Texas medical school graduate, not 1.1 medical students per residency spot, which would be even more favorable for us.

I think you might have the ratio backwards. It is a 1.1:1 ratio of residency spots per Texas medical school graduate, not 1.1 medical students per residency spot, which would be even more favorable for us.
Oooh, then you are absolutely right. That makes more sense, since Texas still accepts a small amount of OOS residents.

Are interviews still being handed out? Or are all interview spots full, which is why there is an interview waitlist?

OOS applicant; II in November and the only interview date open was in mid-January

declined my acceptance here, hope it goes to one of you who are waiting!

declined my acceptance here, hope it goes to one of you who are waiting!

+1. Loved my interview day and the school but I was accepted closer to home and will be attending there. All the best!

Declined my acceptance here to UIWSOM. I hope it goes to someone waiting and best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Are the MMI interviews stressful?
Nah, they feel hella intimidating in the beginning but it definitely gets better. Just remember that each station is independent of each other so if you feel like you stumbled in one, don't think too much about it and just move on with your best foot forward.

Nah, they feel hella intimidating in the beginning but it definitely gets better. Just remember that each station is independent of each other so if you feel like you stumbled in one, don't think too much about it and just move on with your best foot forward.

Thanks! What did you do to prepare?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are interviews still being handed out? Or are all interview spots full, which is why there is an interview waitlist?
The spots are not full, I just received an II yesterday but the only day to sign up was January 19th. So it may have just opened up again

Thanks! What did you do to prepare?
I just watched the videos linked below. Remember though that the MMI is not something you can completely prepare for because you never know what they are going to us you. Just be confident in yourself and your opinions.

Are the MMI interviews stressful?

The MMI's here weren't super stressful, definitely think about your experiences/EC's and keep them in mind when reading the prompts - how do the things you have done over the past couples of years make you a better doctor/leader/problem solver/team player?

Anybody get accepted off the waitlist yet?

Withdrawing my acceptance from here, hope one of you gets it!

Does anyone know if...
there is still an interview waitlist?
Also are acceptances still being handed out?
2018-2019 entering class will be class #4?

Last edited:
Acceptance today. Interviewed on 12/14 so it only took a week.

This is my only interview so far and it resulted in an acceptance. I'm very excited.

I have an application in at TCU and TCOM, but still no II. I have heard from TCOM asking for more information recently so I'm inclined to think I will still be invited for a late interview, but I'm certain it will be after the UIW deposit date. If I pay my deposit here at UIW, am I absolutely committed, or just $1,200 committed?

The only reason I would pick either of those two schools is that they are closer to home and wouldn't require me selling my house that I've lived in for 15 years. I am a big fan of the UIW curriculum/method and of the school in general. Even with an acceptance from the Ft. Worth schools it would be a hard decision.

This is my only interview so far and it resulted in an acceptance. I'm very excited.

I have an application in at TCU and TCOM, but still no II. I have heard from TCOM asking for more information recently so I'm inclined to think I will still be invited for a late interview, but I'm certain it will be after the UIW deposit date. If I pay my deposit here at UIW, am I absolutely committed, or just $1,200 committed?

The only reason I would pick either of those two schools is that they are closer to home and wouldn't require me selling my house that I've lived in for 15 years. I am a big fan of the UIW curriculum/method and of the school in general. Even with an acceptance from the Ft. Worth schools it would be a hard decision.

Idk what your stats are like but I would go ahead and sign up for the school that accepted you. We are good ways into the application process so secure your spot first before making more choices.

If you pay the deposit you have a seat, but you can give it up and the $1200 if you want to go to a different school. Pay the $1200, save your spot and wait for your first choice

If you pay the deposit you have a seat, but you can give it up and the $1200 if you want to go to a different school. Pay the $1200, save your spot and wait for your first choice
i agree. this is what i did.

Accepted
Interview:12/14/2018
Offer: 12/21/2018

I was told by admissions staff that interviews will be occurring until July (so basically until they fill the class).

Does anybody have recommendations on how I can prepare for IWU's MMI format interview? My interview date is 1/19!

any current student can comment on the culture of the school and on their interview perceptions vs current thoughts on the school?

I have heard that members of a certain class (can't remember if it was the 1st or 2nd group of matriculants) were clique-y and very immature in that they dont care about others, and form groups and leave people out and stuff.

While I do realize that the incoming class might not be the same, this is kinda concerning as I don't really want to attend a school that has a large amount of these kind of people. Med school is stressing as it is.

Does anybody have recommendations on how I can prepare for IWU's MMI format interview? My interview date is 1/19!

I purchased a couple of books from Amazon that included some strategies and MMI scenarios. I felt they helped me develop a format to answer questions effectively. There are also various MMI videos on YouTube you can refer to.

I also went and read up on some bioethics. U of W School of Medicine Bioethic Topics
Is the website I used. It includes some cases that can serve as some practice as well

Reactions: 3 users
To anyone that has interviewed:

The portal states "you may be required to read various passages and/or provide a writing sample..."

Did anyone do this during their interview?

To anyone that has interviewed:

The portal states "you may be required to read various passages and/or provide a writing sample..."

Did anyone do this during their interview?

You should be prepared to do this

Got an II today at 5pm!
Submitted my app on Nov 30th, finished secondary around 12/26
510 MCAT, 3.71 GPA
Only interview dates offered were 1/18 and 2/2, but I read they're likely going to be interviewing into May-June until spots fill up so more will probably come up

Hi,

Was accepted here in Nov. Does anyone know when we get information regarding needed vaccines, as well as when the white cost ceremony is? I saw the academic calendar but didn’t find info about when the ceremony is. Thanks

Hi,

Was accepted here in Nov. Does anyone know when we get information regarding needed vaccines, as well as when the white cost ceremony is? I saw the academic calendar but didn’t find info about when the ceremony is. Thanks
2017_2018_uiwsom_student_handbook Here's the link to the student handbook. The required immunizations are on page 52. I already started my immunizations, since some of the require a positive titer test before starting class. That way I'll have plenty of time to get the series again if the titer is negative.

Last year they put out the information for the white coat ceremony, background checks, scrubs, and all the other matriculation requirements around the beginning of February from what I've been able to see. I'm just sitting around going crazy for something to do to get started with med school

Withdrew my II, hopefully one of you guys can get it.

Anyone that's been accepted receive the matriculation and orientation info? Haven't heard anything about background checks and drug testing either. Accepted 12/21, interviewed 12/14

any current student can comment on the culture of the school and on their interview perceptions vs current thoughts on the school?

I have heard that members of a certain class (can't remember if it was the 1st or 2nd group of matriculants) were clique-y and very immature in that they dont care about others, and form groups and leave people out and stuff.

While I do realize that the incoming class might not be the same, this is kinda concerning as I don't really want to attend a school that has a large amount of these kind of people. Med school is stressing as it is.

1st year here. My class has definitely formed cliques. As an example, our lecture hall has multiple tables of 10-15 students who haven't migrated to other tables since the 1st unit. However, its the nature of having a class this size. People form their group of friends. While people may not go out their way to talk to you, 95% of people are approachable and willing to chat or hang out if you go up to them and get to know them. I'm an introvert, so this was tough for me. But I was kinda forced to just go up to people and ended up making very good friends whom I help and who help me when times get tough. There is no immature squabbling happening. Those statements are the product of select people trigger-happy in perpetuating dramatic rumors when they're bored of the monotony that comes from studying 8-12 hours a day. Things like this are prone to happen. But it has 0 real effects on anyone; it's always just over-hyped rumors that are meant to spark an interesting conversation. That said, I know some schools have students willing to mass share all their extensive class notes and resources through the class facebook page. Or students have parties and invite 100% of the class. That kind of thing seldom happens here. Although, it does happen sometimes.

1st year here. My class has definitely formed cliques. As an example, our lecture hall has multiple tables of 10-15 students who haven't migrated to other tables since the 1st unit. However, its the nature of having a class this size. People form their group of friends. While people may not go out their way to talk to you, 95% of people are approachable and willing to chat or hang out if you go up to them and get to know them. I'm an introvert, so this was tough for me. But I was kinda forced to just go up to people and ended up making very good friends whom I help and who help me when times get tough. There is no immature squabbling happening. Those statements are the product of select people trigger-happy in perpetuating dramatic rumors when they're bored of the monotony that comes from studying 8-12 hours a day. Things like this are prone to happen. But it has 0 real effects on anyone; it's always just over-hyped rumors that are meant to spark an interesting conversation. That said, I know some schools have students willing to mass share all their extensive class notes and resources through the class facebook page. Or students have parties and invite 100% of the class. That kind of thing seldom happens here. Although, it does happen sometimes.

Ditto. I notice a little cliquishness, but it isn’t hindering my education. UIW forces you to work with new folks every unit, and each time most of my groups have been open to shared drives and those sorts of things. I think being P/F helps with this too, it eliminates some of the cut throat behavior some other schools experience.

when do they usually start accepting people off of the wait-list?

People who interviewed on 1/11 - have you heard back anything yet?

I know someone who was accepted a week before class started last year! Do not lose hope!

With the match coming up soon I am sure many of y'all on here will be hearing good news Feb. 1st and beyond!! (Not that UIW is involved in match process, but because of the many Texas residents/applicants who are)

Like this post if you’ve been accepted off the waitlist ???