2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations! I got the same email on the same date but no II. This re-instilled hope in me though! hoping for good news.
Thank you. I don’t normally post but I figured others who had gotten that email would like to know there is hope even after it!! I’m sure you’ll hear back soon!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked this in a separate thread but do Texas residencies is give preference to Texas medical school graduates? Someone responded and said no I won’t get preference because UIWSOM is private, do you guys agree?

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked this in a separate thread but do Texas residencies is give preference to Texas medical school graduates? Someone responded and said no I won’t get preference because UIWSOM is private, do you guys agree?
Also curious about this. I'm not from Texas but would love to stay in Texas for residency and beyond.

"Thank you for your interest in the University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine. This email is to inform you that your application is still being considered. Due to the limited number of space at each interview session we are currently unable to extend an invitation to participate. However, if space permits, an offer may be extended for a future interview date. Interviews are currently held every month and will continue throughout the fall and early spring."

what do you guys do with this email?

"Thank you for your interest in the University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine. This email is to inform you that your application is still being considered. Due to the limited number of space at each interview session we are currently unable to extend an invitation to participate. However, if space permits, an offer may be extended for a future interview date. Interviews are currently held every month and will continue throughout the fall and early spring."

what do you guys do with this email?

You can’t do anything. You’re on an interview waitlist, if they get a spot they will offer it, until then you just have to wait

Does anyone know when the most waitlist movement occurs?

Does anyone know when the most waitlist movement occurs?

I would think it’s closer to the end of the cycle. First deposits are due on Dec 14th so they will have a good idea of how many seats they have after that date

do you guys know which hospitals this school has rotations at?

You can’t do anything. You’re on an interview waitlist, if they get a spot they will offer it, until then you just have to wait
So don’t send a letter of interest? How often do people get off this list?

So don’t send a letter of interest? How often do people get off this list?

I can’t answer either of those questions, sorry. I’m not sure if they accept letters of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a II about 30 mins ago. OOS

Pretty grateful for this opportunity. Anyone has any recommendations/comments on how to prepare for the interview/interview day in general?

Last edited:
II just now. OOS. Complete 8/17. Will be declining. Hopefully it goes to one of you still waiting to hear back from here!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got a II about 30 mins ago. OOS

Pretty grateful for this opportunity. Anyone has any recommendations/comments on how to prepare for the interview/interview day in general?

theres some good advice in this thread if you look!

Secondary application received today after applying 10/23 in case anyone was wondering about turn around time on that part of the app.

II today!! First one. So ecstatic! Completed 10/29

Is that the "still being considered for an II" email? Because I got the same email and I have no idea if that's a great sign or not

Yep. Better than a rejection in my opinion. I think of it as I’m competitive to not be rejected but not competitive enough to be given an interview just yet.

Is anyone's interview calendar showing no spots AT ALL? I have until next Friday to pick. Do spots open up throughout the week?

Is anyone's interview calendar showing no spots AT ALL? I have until next Friday to pick. Do spots open up throughout the week?

When i checked the first available date was in January. Not sure if they had any later dates tbh, but i would call and ask.

When I signed up the online system wasn’t working and all the dates were gone. I called in and admissions helped me over the phone.

When i checked the first available date was in January. Not sure if they had any later dates tbh, but i would call and ask.

When I signed up the online system wasn’t working and all the dates were gone. I called in and admissions helped me over the phone.

Thank you for helping my anxiety! They were able to fit me in !! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if UIWSOM provides us with a computer?

I asked one of the students and was told they don’t require a specific kind of computer and there isn’t one provided via tuition/a required purchase.

Going to cancel my interview here since I was accepted to a school closer to home. Good luck to those on the interview waitlist!

Canceling my interview as well. Good luck guys!

Just got an R from this school :( Lizzy m 69. I wonder what it could have been

Is anyone going to the admit day in December?

Accepted also! Interviewed 11/3
With the deposit required in less than a month I’m not sure whether I’ll eventually matriculate or not. But unbelievably grateful after being rejected last cycle

This may have been asked already, but how many hours a week is OMM?
We have one OMM lab a week for four hours, but it is usually more like two to three hours plus clinical skills training the rest of the time. It is incoorporated into the curriculum too, occasionally it come up in other sessions.

Is anyone going to the admit day in December?
I am, and several of us on the facebook group are planning on going as well. I look forward to meeting everyone!!

I am, and several of us on the facebook group are planning on going as well. I look forward to meeting everyone!!
Oh can you link me to the FB page?

Interviewed 11/3 and waitlisted! Does anyone have any information on stats of waitlist to acceptances? Hoping to be a part of the UIWSOM community! I loved the school!

Interviewed 11/3 and waitlisted! Does anyone have any information on stats of waitlist to acceptances? Hoping to be a part of the UIWSOM community! I loved the school!

I’m sure things will move after Dec 14th, deposits are due that day and they will get an idea how many people are planning on attending

My guess is that waitlist movement will be significant given that they interview and accept a lot of Texans, many of whom will eventually match to a TMDSAS school. UIW is a great school but the tuition is nearly 3x that of the Texas public schools, so my guess is that quite a few of those who end up with TMDSAS matches will choose to matriculate to a state school due to cost savings.

Reactions: 2 users
My guess is that waitlist movement will be significant given that they interview and accept a lot of Texans, many of whom will eventually match to a TMDSAS school. UIW is a great school but the tuition is nearly 3x that of the Texas public schools, so my guess is that quite a few of those who end up with TMDSAS matches will choose to matriculate to a state school due to cost savings.
it sucks when you have DO acceptances and waiting to get matched to a TMDSAS school

Just declined my acceptance - good luck waitlist-ed people!

Reactions: 2 users

Also curious about this. I'm not from Texas but would love to stay in Texas for residency and beyond.

So I saw somewhere, from some realiable source (that I for the life of me can't remember right now), an infographic stating that Texas was shooting for a 1.1:1 med student to GME spot ratio. So that means most med students who graduate from Texas schools should get a residency spot in Texas.

Just my 2 cents-

Texas has appropriated millions of dollars into GME expansion across the state to fund a 1.1 to 1 ratio of residency spots per Texas medical school graduate. These will mostly be primary care spots, since that’s where the need is here, but there are a variety of spots.

THECB - Graduate Medical Education Expansion Programs

The coordinating board specifically mentions UIW on page 11 here, so they did take them into account.

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/8501.PDF?CFID=88967156&CFTOKEN=57309215

As a student here, I can tell you the school is at the least making a name for itself in San Antonio, we are in a high need area and the community is very accepting. Here is a recent article about the school and what we are doing in the community.

Incarnate Word’s osteopathic medical school is changing how medicine is taught while helping San Antonio’s poorest communities.

Also, there are quite a few recidencies in the local area that are receptive to us. The other school in town (UTHSCSA) is receptive to us too since we pretty much stay out of their way (don’t take their rotations), so I think they will allow us into their residencies.

Sure, the other schools will get priority since they are tried and true, no doubt about that. But it shouldn’t be that hard to match here, especially if primary care is an option for you. Just don’t bet on Derm or something like that.

If it came down to UIW and another newer school, I would for sure keep this one in mind. That being said, if you have an acceptance at an established school, always choose that (unless you have a personal reason not to).