2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ummm. Just wanted to let people know there's still hope if you're waiting for an interview invite. Got one today! Scheduled for November!

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm. Just wanted to let people know there's still hope if you're waiting for an interview invite. Got one today! Scheduled for November!

congrats! Can I ask when you were complete and what your stats are? :)

Reactions: 1 user
congrats! Can I ask when you were complete and what your stats are? :)

I submitted my secondary on 9/20. My sGPA is 3.14, cGPA 3.51, MCAT 508. I’m a non traditional applicant with considerable clinical experience. LizzyM of 65. If you want more details I can explain further if you message me. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students speak to how the crime is around the school? Specifically, are the apartments around the school relatively safe?

btw just an fyi, UIWSOM is a decomissioned military (air force I think?) base. JFK did a speech or something there the day before he was assassinated in Dallas and the place is considered a historical site so that's why they can't alter the exterior of the buildings.

For those that had Saturday interviews, about what time were you done for the day?

Interviewing tomorrow !!! So excited!!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewing tomorrow !!! So excited!!

Which group/ circuit where you in? I’m not even sure which group I ended up walking with.

It was a great day! I absolutely loved the students, staff and campus

Today was fantastic! I actually enjoyed the MMI questions and quickly felt comfortable. Met a lot of great people, including staff, students, and interviewees! Everyone was very welcoming and genuine.

Current students - out of the apartments near campus, which would you recommend?

Hello everyone! Can anyone please share with me a little more information about the MMI set up? Are we able to take notes? Will they provide a clipboard? Is it frowned down upon when you don't use up the whole time to answer the question? How much time do we have to prep/answer the questions? How many stations were there? Will we have a break between any of the stations? Thank you!

Hello everyone! Can anyone please share with me a little more information about the MMI set up? Are we able to take notes? Will they provide a clipboard? Is it frowned down upon when you don't use up the whole time to answer the question? How much time do we have to prep/answer the questions? How many stations were there? Will we have a break between any of the stations? Thank you!

No notes, only thing you can have is water.

I don’t think it would be frowned upon but I also don’t think you’ll have a lot of extra time

2 min to read, 8 min in room, there were 8 stations I think and 1 break.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I don’t think it would be frowned upon but I also don’t think you’ll have a lot of extra time

Also, you really don't need to use all 8 minutes. I didn't and I felt my interview went well

Secondary received today. I hope it's not too late for me to get an interview after I submit this week :(

Thank you for the information! Much appreciated!

Also, you really don't need to use all 8 minutes. I didn't and I felt my interview went well
Thank you! Was the time left over filled with follow-up questions? I’m getting mixed information about whether or not I should leave some time for questions.

Thank you! Was the time left over filled with follow-up questions? I’m getting mixed information about whether or not I should leave some time for questions.

They definitely had follow up questions in nearly every station

II yesterday, OOS and complete early Sept. Going in mid-Dec.

Just jumped back on to SDN to encourage y'all who might be still waiting. I was getting sort of discouraged up until now, and am learning patience. And with that, I will be off SDN for the sake of my mental sanity. :eek:

Reactions: 3 users
I left 1-2 stations early, and others I talked right up until it was time to switch. It just depended on the conversation!! It goes by SO fast in my opinion. Also, during the 2min we have to read the prompt, I would plan in my head what I wanted to say and I felt I had ample amount of time to think through the prompt and answer effectively. Just relax and have fun with it! I really enjoyed myself.

The whole MMI format is completely foreign to me and has me pretty nervous

I've always had a lot of difficulty with being overly nervous with interviews, especially with random topics that I don't have a lot of insight on but I still thought MMI was easier overall. The first station will be the worst but you adjust quickly. I was afraid about having 8 minutes and leaving too much time but there is a good mix of prompts that lend themselves to speaking more and facilitators that will probe and ask you followup questions.

Do maybe 5-10 practice prompts just to get an idea of what you might see but you don't need to prepare nearly as much as a traditional interview in my opinion.

Great day at UIW!!! Students were amazing as well as the faculty. Could easily see myself going there granted I'm accepted. Not sure what their post-Interview acceptance rate is but not being a Texas resident has me concerned I won't see the school again :(

Great day at UIW!!! Students were amazing as well as the faculty. Could easily see myself going there granted I'm accepted. Not sure what their post-Interview acceptance rate is but not being a Texas resident has me concerned I won't see the school again :(

I agree, I’m OOS too. I absolutely loved my day there but their OOS acceptance rate was 28% last year. Here’s to waiting a couple more weeks!

I agree, I’m OOS too. I absolutely loved my day there but their OOS acceptance rate was 28% last year. Here’s to waiting a couple more weeks!
I am OOS as well and would love to go to UIWSOM. Absolutely loved my interview day. I just want to remind you, that 28% is the number of OOS students in the class of 2018, not the post interview acceptance rate for OOS students. That percentage is just a little low because they naturally interview more people from Texas. However, if they gave you an interview that means that liked you even though you aren't from Texas, so stay positive!

So this may sound dumb but my biggest concern about moving to Texas is the snakes!! We were at Mission San Juan and saw a huge copperhead.. freaked me out... I’m from the northwest so we have rattlesnakes but the idea of water moccasins, copperheads, tree snakes, freaks me out. Clearly super afraid of snakes!! I’m worried I will be walking my dog and she or I will get bit, am I being completely irrational?

So this may sound dumb but my biggest concern about moving to Texas is the snakes!! We were at Mission San Juan and saw a huge copperhead.. freaked me out... I’m from the northwest so we have rattlesnakes but the idea of water moccasins, copperheads, tree snakes, freaks me out. Clearly super afraid of snakes!! I’m worried I will be walking my dog and she or I will get bit, am I being completely irrational?

Not completely irrational, but I don't feel that it should be a something that keeps you away. I grew up in this area, and yes, there is the occasional snake, but they keep to themselves, and unless you are out messing with brush and such, you most likely won't bother or be bothered by any :) Just my two pennies.

Not completely irrational, but I don't feel that it should be a something that keeps you away. I grew up in this area, and yes, there is the occasional snake, but they keep to themselves, and unless you are out messing with brush and such, you most likely won't bother or be bothered by any :) Just my two pennies.

Thanks, it won’t keep me from Texas but the fear of snakes is real!

For people who have already interviewed, is the MMI before or after the campus tour and presentation?

For people who have already interviewed, is the MMI before or after the campus tour and presentation?

There are two groups that split up, one does tour first then interview other group does interview than tour

On the morrow makes it day 10, since the last interviews. So maybe we hear something

Just received acceptance letter, my first ever! Very grateful for the opportunity.

Interviewed 10/13.

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!!!!!! Interviewed 10/13. Congrats to all of yall that got acceptances also

ACCEPTED! Ugly crying I am so happy

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed 10/13! I don't usually post, but I wanted to thank everyone here for the warm words and support!

Accepted! Interviewed 10/13! Thankful for the opportunity to start my medical education here! :)

Reactions: 4 users
I wonder if I met any of you?!? I was the only one from Oregon. I am so happy right now, wish I didn’t have to work

Just received acceptance letter, my first ever! Very grateful for the opportunity.

Interviewed 10/13.
HEY! Congrats on the acceptance!
Could you tell you were accepted by the subject?

Congrats everyone! I interviewed a week after so I’m hoping to hear something next week now!!

Waitlisted, interviewed 10/13. Honestly thought my interview went well, but you never know I guess! Congrats to those accepted, hopefully I can join the club soon :)

Congratulations to those who were accepted with this most recent group!!! I look forward to meeting all of you guys come July!

Just received an II - only available date is in January. I got one of those "still being considered" e-mails 8/27 and was complete July 17th

Just received an II - only available date is in January. I got one of those "still being considered" e-mails 8/27 and was complete July 17th
Congratulations! I got the same email on the same date but no II. This re-instilled hope in me though! hoping for good news.